Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valve Openly Allows Fraud, and Scams

2»

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited March 2018
    k61977 said:
    You use a third party trade and then blame a company that didn't make it which has it's own safe trading and then slander the company.  That is what you are doing here.  It isn't Valve's responsibility to do anything about you trading through someone else and getting scammed period.  That was your choice and you did it.  At first before I started reading I thought maybe you got scammed using valves trading then I noticed it wasn't so how are they at fault, short answer they are not.  Stop thinking that it is other peoples responsibility to make sure you don't do something stupid, then turn around and blame everyone but yourself for your mistake.  Valve has done no wrong here and has no reason to even reply to you and I hope they don't to be honest.

Valve isn't responsible if the items actually made it to the user I was trading to aka OPSkins Bot, a Real OPSkins bot that is, OPSkins did not scam me I spent $200+ buying stuff never got scammed, but assuming if they actually did that would not be valves fault.

So basically you are saying it's okay to commit fraud, or scam others?

At least this is what I am seeing, what I am saying is their fault is not putting in some type of function to restrict users from changing their name, and copying a person's entire profile to look like someone else, this is the problem here, If Steam used a unique ID such as a battle tag like Blizzard has suck as "Bob#9532" , and kept the name function so people can use display names, but instead kept a master User ID so everyone can see who they are trading with then these scams would not be so easy to take place because people would know exactly who they are trading with.

Also even if you do not think Valve is responsible for losing $38 item I really don't care about the loss I care that this guy and his fake Bots are still going around frauding other people more than I care about $38 loss, the problem being that I've reported him like 72 hours ago and they are still there doing this crap to other players, over 500 items being fraud from other people.

Not having a proper support ticket is a serious problem too they used to have one but not anymore is an issue.

Valve even having DOTA 2 falsely restrict people just for getting reported for communication abuse even when not being abusive?

But Valve can't simply make an automated function so when you do a trade if you get reported for scamming it opens a complaint with the person, this can only be done within 7 days of the trade if a person files a complaint You lose your privilege to trade, unless you return the items, or Valve investigates the issue manually, if the person who does the trade abuses the function then they can be punished instead.

This would heavily restrict this type of fraud simple changes to the system.

And the scam did take place through "Valves Trading System" not a third party service, the items were intended to go to a third party service, but the items went to a scammer using a false identity and pretending to be another user.
    Gdemamik61977
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Renoaku said:
    You don't seem to understand how OPSkins works, OPSkins is a legitimate site I've never been scammed doing trades with them.

Renoaku said:

What happened is one of the games I played called SOS a user added me as a friend and pretended to be a streamer, and not knowing about how to actually do trades because generally, I don't steam trading except for PUBG or Duplicates they showed me how to list to OPskins, except using social engineering and a fake bot they decided to steal my items then try to take a few hundred dollars worth of items, this wasn't OPSkins fault, and personally I don't have issues with 3rd party trading.

Never been scammed doing trades with them implies that you have done trades there before.

Couple posts later someone just showed you how to list on OPskins and scammed you.

Yes, this adds up.
    edited March 2018
    frostymug said:
    Renoaku said:
    You don't seem to understand how OPSkins works, OPSkins is a legitimate site I've never been scammed doing trades with them.

Renoaku said:

What happened is one of the games I played called SOS a user added me as a friend and pretended to be a streamer, and not knowing about how to actually do trades because generally, I don't steam trading except for PUBG or Duplicates they showed me how to list to OPskins, except using social engineering and a fake bot they decided to steal my items then try to take a few hundred dollars worth of items, this wasn't OPSkins fault, and personally I don't have issues with 3rd party trading.

Never been scammed doing trades with them implies that you have done trades there before.

Couple posts later someone just showed you how to list on OPskins and scammed you.

Yes, this adds up.
    The OPSkins website, and bots are legitimate.

The OPSkins I linked on steam are fake bot users who use "Fraud" activities to take items from people pretending to be OPSkins bots.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/34563452342423432 <--- this, and the OPSkins Admin Bot group are fake groups as well as the members in there, these are the scammers.

^ This one that is the fake imposter changes their steam user ID Constantly, and isn't a real OPSkins bot.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198305090483 This is a legitimate OPSkins Bot, and Group, notice how they almost look alike, except the OPSkins Bots is the legitimate group along with this one which shows all their actual bots that are real.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opskins-bots

It gets really confusing I know it's why I accepted the trade because it looked like the real thing I've spent at least like $200 on OPSkins they delivered all goods as promised, I talked to them about the issue too they are the ones who had good customer service got back to me within 15 minutes of filing a ticket and told me what happened the Real OP skins to my knowledge is great these imposters are the problem.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Renoaku said:
    k61977 said:
    You use a third party trade and then blame a company that didn't make it which has it's own safe trading and then slander the company.  That is what you are doing here.  It isn't Valve's responsibility to do anything about you trading through someone else and getting scammed period.  That was your choice and you did it.  At first before I started reading I thought maybe you got scammed using valves trading then I noticed it wasn't so how are they at fault, short answer they are not.  Stop thinking that it is other peoples responsibility to make sure you don't do something stupid, then turn around and blame everyone but yourself for your mistake.  Valve has done no wrong here and has no reason to even reply to you and I hope they don't to be honest.

Valve isn't responsible if the items actually made it to the user I was trading to aka OPSkins Bot, a Real OPSkins bot that is, OPSkins did not scam me I spent $200+ buying stuff never got scammed, but assuming if they actually did that would not be valves fault.

So basically you are saying it's okay to commit fraud, or scam others?

At least this is what I am seeing, what I am saying is their fault is not putting in some type of function to restrict users from changing their name, and copying a person's entire profile to look like someone else, this is the problem here, If Steam used a unique ID such as a battle tag like Blizzard has suck as "Bob#9532" , and kept the name function so people can use display names, but instead kept a master User ID so everyone can see who they are trading with then these scams would not be so easy to take place because people would know exactly who they are trading with.

Also even if you do not think Valve is responsible for losing $38 item I really don't care about the loss I care that this guy and his fake Bots are still going around frauding other people more than I care about $38 loss, the problem being that I've reported him like 72 hours ago and they are still there doing this crap to other players, over 500 items being fraud from other people.

Not having a proper support ticket is a serious problem too they used to have one but not anymore is an issue.

Valve even having DOTA 2 falsely restrict people just for getting reported for communication abuse even when not being abusive?

But Valve can't simply make an automated function so when you do a trade if you get reported for scamming it opens a complaint with the person, this can only be done within 7 days of the trade if a person files a complaint You lose your privilege to trade, unless you return the items, or Valve investigates the issue manually, if the person who does the trade abuses the function then they can be punished instead.

This would heavily restrict this type of fraud simple changes to the system.

And the scam did take place through "Valves Trading System" not a third party service, the items were intended to go to a third party service, but the items went to a scammer using a false identity and pretending to be another user.
    No a user should be able to change whatever they want on their own profile whenever they wish.  If I want to be known as hot-potato1234 today and tomorrow decide I would rather go by spuds169 I should be able to do just that.   It is your responsibility to know what and who you are interacting with.  Basically you want them to restrict functions because you can't do your own homework and make sure you are not doing something stupid.  I am glad they don't think that way.  

You keep saying you don't care also, well if that was true you wouldn't be complaining about it over and over and keep pointing out that it was only $38 dollars.  That $38 dollars must really have meant a lot.

Nothing in their system went wrong, nothing in their system caused you to be scammed.  You make a trade with someone that is on you.  Looks like you screwed up on the name of the person you were trading with because it looked like someone else that is on you.  You decide to use a third party site that is on you to receive or get items.  You get scammed because you were trying to use a third party site and didn't realize this person or bot didn't work for that site that is on you.

Do you see how everything keeps coming back to your decision to use the third party site and you.  That is all the answer you need.

I don't care how many people this person scams to be honest because if I want to trade something I do it thru the official site with other players not a third party site and have no problems.  Let them scam the hell out of the idiots that go somewhere else to try and save a buck.  It doesn't hurt me or any of the other customers that do the right things and use only the official trading system and get to know who we are trading with.

Overall I don't want to see companies keep restricting access to things because a small percentage of people can't control what they do, or put in a little extra effort to make sure they don't do something stupid.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I get it - the scam didn't happen directly related to the third party site.

However, I have never gotten any of those trading requests by a bot.
    Did it occur to you that using the third party site flagged you as lucrative target?
    k61977
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited March 2018
    Dakeru said:
    I get it - the scam didn't happen directly related to the third party site.

However, I have never gotten any of those trading requests by a bot.
    Did it occur to you that using the third party site flagged you as lucrative target?
    Well I don't think it's the 3rd party site itself pretty sure what happened is I made a post asking about Lootboxes on PUBG, and like a day or two after just guessing I received a friend request from a user I had previously played with in other games I believe in SOS.

After removing the person which I wish I didn't because now I am not sure which one I discovered the person in question had like 5+ Steam accounts all with the exact same profile, only one person is the real person, the rest are fake, they are the ones who Suggested I sell my Items through OPSkins and pretend to show me how.

This is where Social Engineering came in the first item from OPSkins did what it was supposed to and gave me the item back as it was supposed to prove the site was legitimate.

What happened next is the user told me to list one of the items and showed me how to sell it through the actual site the bot sent the trade request which was legitimate, but then he told me to cancel that and had another OPSkins bot which was the fake bot send the request, and told me to add the other item claiming to be OPSkins and everything.

From there he told me it was glitched out and told me to open a support ticket to OPSkins saying "Withdraw all items" and I did but this was the scam he requested to trade over $300 USD of stuff off my account, at that point I got a warning saying he might be a scammer and Saw it was a scam myself because it said "You will give X items" not you will get "X" items and I never traded those items to OPSkins.

I don't believe I was targeted because of using OPSkins which seems to be a great service, I believe I was targeted because of Discussing LootBoxes on a Steam Post, and a kid who likes to scam people decided to use a really good tactic to try to steal a bunch of items from me, I usually keep my "Steam Account" on friends only so no one can see my inventory but those on my friends list, and I changed my Trade URL which is something you can keep changing after every trade, this prevents fake requests from coming back in or any from anyone else but friends I have accepted on my list.

This doesn't prevent me from buying from OPSkins because I still can buy just fine, but obviously, have to check Steam ID's and be very careful because of these fake people will come in and try to repeat the same thing again, I know they do this to other people who are new to trading, or using Steam API, and it seems to work, what is even far worse is when someone loses an item worth $1000 or more like a Legendary or Mythical DOTA 2, or CSGO item it's a lot of money. 

Edit: Based off the Steam Subscriber Agreement if I read this correctly it shouldn't be allowed for people to create a false identity with the purpose to mislead others?

http://store.steampowered.com/online_conduct/

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/#4

Post edited by Renoaku on
  • Tatsuya9411Tatsuya9411 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    So Valve openly allows fraud because they cannot assist with third party sites trading, especially with a site whose feature directly breaks the service Tos forbidding to sell steam items directly for real worl cash (not steam wallet) and alikes?

Okay dude, whatever helps you sleep at night.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

The sad part, I don't even need to read the OP because I have a strong idea from the title.

Let me guess, he paid for something from a third party that was very likely some sort of scam or "too good to be true" situation, and is pissed that Valve isn't saving him from his lack of personal responsibility in deciding what is and isn't a good purchase?

Dakeru

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Hrimnir said:

The sad part, I don't even need to read the OP because I have a strong idea from the title.

Let me guess, he paid for something from a third party that was very likely some sort of scam or "too good to be true" situation, and is pissed that Valve isn't saving him from his lack of personal responsibility in deciding what is and isn't a good purchase?

Almost right,  but what he appears most upset about is Valve won't take down accounts of people who scam by posing with names similar to other legitimate sources. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    Kyleran said:
    Hrimnir said:

Almost right,  but what he appears most upset about is Valve won't take down accounts of people who scam by posing with names similar to other legitimate sources. 
    Exactly right. And Valve could care less and wont change a thing as long as they are making a dime off of the transaction.
    edited March 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Hrimnir said:

Well losing $38 sucks, because I should have known it was a scam but being the first time using Steam Trading in  like 10+ years because I collect most items rather than give them away I got scammed by a user pretending to be an OPSkins bot, I've done like over $500 in transactions with OPSkins, haven't been scammed on item delivery or sales by them.

What really upsets me the most about it is the fact that to this day since reporting the user, along with the Steam Group, and two other users/bots in the group they remain active still right now scamming other users because they haven't been blocked, removed, or banned it's as if the steam code of conduct means nothing.  http://store.steampowered.com/online_conduct/ which is listed in the Steam Subscriber Agreement says you will not.
    • Create a false identity for the purpose of misleading others."
    Allowing users to change their display name is awesome, but when a user duplicates another person profile or bot's profile, puts fake groups in their profile, and scams hundreds/thousands of items from people with the sole purpose to commit fraud and obtain free money it's really disturbing that a user/scammer can remain active this long.

Basically, it's actually easy to avoid the scam you just have to make sure that every trade you do when selling items to OPskins to verify that it's actually their bot by viewing their profile, making sure its actually in the OPskins bot group and listed as one of theirs before accepting the trade.

And yeah, Steam isn't what it used to be back in the day, you could file support tickets and ask any question now it's really just like a Skeleton Crew that actually runs the service, makes me think how long is Steam going to be around for, and if it closes down all the Millions of dollars of games lost.
    Renoaku said:
    Kyleran said:
    Hrimnir said:

Well losing $38 sucks, because I should have known it was a scam but being the first time using Steam Trading in  like 10+ years because I collect most items rather than give them away I got scammed by a user pretending to be an OPSkins bot, I've done like over $500 in transactions with OPSkins, haven't been scammed on item delivery or sales by them.

What really upsets me the most about it is the fact that to this day since reporting the user, along with the Steam Group, and two other users/bots in the group they remain active still right now scamming other users because they haven't been blocked, removed, or banned it's as if the steam code of conduct means nothing.  http://store.steampowered.com/online_conduct/ which is listed in the Steam Subscriber Agreement says you will not.
    Allowing users to change their display name is awesome, but when a user duplicates another person profile or bot's profile, puts fake groups in their profile, and scams hundreds/thousands of items from people with the sole purpose to commit fraud and obtain free money it's really disturbing that a user/scammer can remain active this long.

Basically, it's actually easy to avoid the scam you just have to make sure that every trade you do when selling items to OPskins to verify that it's actually their bot by viewing their profile, making sure its actually in the OPskins bot group and listed as one of theirs before accepting the trade.

And yeah, Steam isn't what it used to be back in the day, you could file support tickets and ask any question now it's really just like a Skeleton Crew that actually runs the service, makes me think how long is Steam going to be around for, and if it closes down all the Millions of dollars of games lost.

*sigh*

Valve has over 100 million total registered users and probably thousands if not ten thousands of support queries they are getting.

They arent superhumans to instantly resolve every problem in the world
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited March 2018
    Renoaku said:
    Kyleran said:
    Hrimnir said:

*sigh*

Valve has over 100 million total registered users and probably thousands if not ten thousands of support queries they are getting.

Regardless, if "weeks" have passed by without dealing with activity that is against the rules that is too long IMO, they need to hire more support staff to reduce the back log. 

Its time we expected better customer support from our vendors and game developers, especially when it comes to "policing" their environments.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Renoaku said:
    Grunty said:
    Valve has no control, does not want control, and never will have control over third party trading sites.  Don't use them and then blame Valve. If you go outside of Valve's system then you only have yourself to blame. 

If Valve's trade system does not cancel a trade when an item is swapped and one of the party's has already approved the trade then that is a problem with Valve's trade system.  The trade should be automatically cancelled or reset by Valve's system in that instance. 
    OPSkins is legitimate, and no one is blaming Valve for another sites or services actions.

Valve, however, is openly allowing a group of "Fake People" pretending to be "OPSkins" or other 3rd party sites to change their names, and pretend to be other users, Reported "The Group" and "The person" who is not an OPSkins bot, and they are still actively scamming 72+ hours later.

Valve also has no ticket system to contact them directly and get these people / fraud / scammers removed from the service who are there just to do fraud, and this is what I blame valve for, obviously, valve could do more to protect its users like.

For example, having the steam API give the ability for Bots and users to Link directly to a website, so users themselves can confirm that its the real website, or some type of 2FA system so players have to type a code from the website itself into the trade box to prevent scams.

And listing friends as a different color name during trading so that users know its really their friend not someone else who sent a fake request pretending to be them.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/opskins-bots  <--- this here is the legitimate OPSkins, and OPSkins bots they do not scam people if they did that would be my own fault for doing business with them.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/34563452342423432  <--- this here is the Fake OPSkins Bot, that sends Trade Requests to people and pretends to be the bot, if you check their groups they are also OPSKINS Admin Bot, they have other fake bots with them.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WhyYouSamayl  <--- This is the fake OPSkins Bot Group.

Fraud should not be allowed by valve, scamming is a user own fault sure But its fraud when you impersonate another person, or individual on steam.

72 Hours + the user is still allowed to scam other people, how is this not valve's fault, if you don't want to blame them just because a user accepted a trade that is fine, but how is it not their fault for not banning an account that is actively committing fraud to other users when they clearly have been informed/reported multiple times?
    No fucking way should the Steam API give those link abilities to Bots and users. You don't realise what a potential security threat that is, do you? That is just asking for Steam users getting infected with malware.

There are two ways to properly deal with this. Asking that 3rd party website to set up a secure trading system. Or use Steam market.

For Valve, 3rd party websites are not 'legitimate', no matter how legitimate they are to you. They are not there to check for you if someone is really a Nigerian prince like they claim. You are barking up the wrong tree with this.

Your post is like blaming an isp for those Microsoft support scams.
    cheyanekitarad
    Kyleran said:
    Renoaku said:
    Kyleran said:
    Hrimnir said:

*sigh*

Regardless, if "weeks" have passed by without dealing with activity that is against the rules that is too long IMO, they need to hire more support staff to reduce the back log. 

Its time we expected better customer support from our vendors and game developers, especially when it comes to "policing" their environments.

They cannot take responsibility however for dealings OUTSIDE of their system

Its one thing to crack down on impersonators and another to basically expecting them babysit users who dont know any better, ignore every safety warnings out there and shouldnt be allowed in front of a computer.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kyleran said:
    Renoaku said:
    Kyleran said:
    Hrimnir said:

*sigh*

They cannot take responsibility however for dealings OUTSIDE of their system

Its one thing to crack down on impersonators and another to basically expecting them babysit users who dont know any better, ignore every safety warnings out there and shouldnt be allowed in front of a computer.

I'm not even convinced this shouldn't be handled by the 3rd party. If you are trading with a legitimate bot, then should there not be a way for the 3rd party site to confirm it's own identity? Like sending you a message to YOUR account on that third party site which confirms the trade request prior to making the trade? 

Policing names just becomes problematic on so many other levels. Why would you solve a symptom when you could solve the problem? The problem is a lack of communication from the trade site indicating that it wants to initiate or has initiated a legitimate trade with the user. If the APIs are there, then this should be done by the third party, not steam. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited March 2018
    I feel this third party site was not handling their security very well and the OP has been taken in by a simple scam. Expecting Valve to police this is stupid considering the complete availability of their own secure trade system. You do things at your own risks and don't expect them to do more than that and make sure you deal with better third party sites if you wish to continue trading like this... ask the third party site to beef up their own secure trades so that these false names don't scam players. Root of the problem though is you OP for not properly studying the third party site's security and secure trading options.

While we are on this topic why are you perpetually involved in one fraud or another?
    KyleranCrazKanukTatsuya9411
    Chamber of Chains
    edited March 2018
    cheyane said:
    I feel this third party site was not handling their security very well and the OP has been taken in by a simple scam. Expecting Valve to police this is stupid considering the complete availability of their own secure trade system. You do things at your own risks and don't expect them to do more than that and make sure you deal with better third party sites if you wish to continue trading like this... ask the third party site to beef up their own secure trades so that these false names don't scam players. Root of the problem though is you OP for not properly studying the third party site's security and secure trading options.

While we are on this topic why are you perpetually involved in one fraud or another?
    Well the Third Party site does what they can to make trades secure, they do have a bots group, but don't make new customers aware of it, I wasn't aware of it until after the scam and they told me about their legitimate group to check every time and verify it's one of theirs.

The scam itself happened on Valves service since it wasn't an OPskins bot thus Valve should actually take action against those who commit fraud copying user profiles and pretending to be other users on Steam.

I don't understand how it could be a 3rd party's fault when the trading happens on Valves service Steam, and Steam allows people to constantly change their name, and profile information and pretend to be other people, Valve, for example, could easily have a system in place to prevent any type of scams for example after a trade you have like 72 hours max to file a dispute, if a dispute is filed the person in question has their trading blocked until they return an item, or escalates the claim to valve for review at which point valve could review and see if it was scammed then just reverse the transaction and block the account from trading anymore on theh Steam Market. Also the users in question and that have been reported go a week or longer and keep doing the same scams to others because valve doesn't block them.

Valve does have security measures in place to prevent fraud or account hacking, but lets say for one second that Steam ever gets a security hole which allows players to have their accounts compromised, someone finds a way around it, or just, for example, I gained access to another person account somehow without giving details there are a few methods of doing this but lets say I did get access and I traded over $10,000 USD worth of items off an account to my own account, or someone elses, and that person files claiming they were hacked they would lose all their items I do not consider this secure. Proper security would immediately track down all items owned by the player via a "KEY" and freeze them immediately, as well as track the account that originally got all the items in which valve could take action against that said user.

But Valves policy is simply, we put the trade & confirm option there, Once you accept even if a user breaks the Code OF Conduct, or your account is compromised, We Don't Care,  this applies to people who have their accounts compromised and get VAC BANNED,  but own over 200 games on their account.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    "*username* has not offered any items in the trade. When this trade is completed, you will not receive anything. If *username* has promised you Steam Wallet funds, CD-Keys, or other items outside the trade window, they may be attempting to scam you.

Please confirm that you are giving your items away, and expect nothing in return."
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    While it's not good you got scammed this is no fault of valve. Just because someone shared a name with the bots that OPskins uses and you traded them doesn't make it Valves fault. It's still on you. You have a viable platform to trade on that doesn't require you to trade to a bot, so using any service like that will yield scammers. Sure they might be the most legit site in the world, but anyone can impersonate someone, and you never know who it is you might be trading to, no matter how legit they look. 

This happens all the time. Look at people impersonating GM's on MMORPGs, or people impersonating Valve Employees, or people impersonating company CEO's to get access to backends. If there is a way to scam it can happen.