Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hands On with Far Cry 5's American Adventure - The RPG Files - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageHands On with Far Cry 5's American Adventure - The RPG Files - MMORPG.com

The event was complete with a firing range for slingshots and crossbows, ATVs, a meet and greet with everyone’s new favorite in-game pup, Boomer and a supervillain style helicopter entrance from the game’s charismatic preacher: The Father, Joseph Seed. But you’re not here to see what kind of party Ubisoft throws… you’re here for the game.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I can't get into these far cry games anymore, They all feel like carbon copys of the previous entry. Maybe... Id pick this up on a steam sale a year from now, I think.....
    Octagon7711Whiteshade92Viper482[Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    thunderC said:
    I can't get into these far cry games anymore, They all feel like carbon copys of the previous entry. Maybe... Id pick this up on a steam sale a year from now, I think.....
    I felt that way too until Primal. That was a nice departure. Hoping this one is the same.
    rodingoScotinfomatz

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Pastor_DamePastor_Dame Member UncommonPosts: 37

Nyctelios said:

The only Far Cry I could bare to play was Blood Dragon because it was actually original and fun. Change the ambient, still same ubisoft "map full with icons get up in that tower to reveal it".

I forgot to mention this in the preview comments: towers are gone.
    [Deleted User]BillMurphy[Deleted User]Lazarus71infomatz
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Damien, I might have missed it, what platform were you trying it on?
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Oh by the way "puppy farts" LOL loved that one. I remember that look on their face too like "it wasn't me".
    Pastor_Dameinfomatz
  • Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256

Nyctelios said:

The only Far Cry I could bare to play was Blood Dragon because it was actually original and fun. Change the ambient, still same ubisoft "map full with icons get up in that tower to reveal it".

I forgot to mention this in the preview comments: towers are gone.

Thank goodness. I enjoyed your video and I have recently came back to single player gaming and have been having a blast. Now if I could just get an affordable 1080 card lol
  • Pastor_DamePastor_Dame Member UncommonPosts: 37

Damien, I might have missed it, what platform were you trying it on?

I previewed the game on a PS4 Pro.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I love the original Farcry and Farcry 3 is one of my favorite games.  I could not get into 4 that much and I never tried primal.  I will  be ordering the gold edition of 5 though.  I love the setting and seems like the villians will be good.  I have been looking forward to it since it has been announced.
    immoralthang[Deleted User]
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    The seamless MP is one step away from an always online Far Cry. I'd LOVE THAT. But I'm probably dreaming.
    [Deleted User]infomatz

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    edited March 2018
    Something about this game rubs me the wrong way, on one hand it reminds me of the political corruption and the massacre in Waco Texas involving the "branch davidians", as well as the charged nature of labeling anything a cult, especially when its linked to potential "christian" imagery. It might not be so much of a problem if they chose some fictional imagery, such as Cthulhu or something along those lines.

On the other hand... with the heavy politicization of some games today, it always makes one wonder of there is an agenda or confirmation bias driving some of the creative design choices. When you are a gamer who is constantly thinking critically, stuff like this really pops out.

That said, it does look absolutely amazing from an art direction point of view.
    Wraithone
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Torval said:
    Oregon has been a cult magnet for a long time. It still happens, all the time. There is always some group of wackos in the news. This is only a couple steps away from reality in some ways.

MadFrenchieSpottyGekko[Deleted User]infomatz
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    edited March 2018
    Richard Ross... Anyone looking into his back ground, and contacts, will understand what is at play here. I can't say I'm surprised, given the times we live in. Other than that it looks like an interesting game.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Wraithone said:
    Richard Ross... Anyone looking into his back ground, and contacts, will understand what is at play here. I can't say I'm surprised, given the times we live in. Other than that it looks like an interesting game.
    Care to elaborate?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    "But you’re not here to see what kind of party Ubisoft throws"

Actually would love to hear more about that, if its a cult in the mid west, did anyone get baptised in a river? From the UK here, and that happens in every film and TV series I see about that mid west so they must have done? ;)

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    What I want to know more than anything is how is it that these guys that review games, so are incredibly bad at them? I mean most reviewers I see play a game in their review, are horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible at playing them.

On a side note, why don't any of these ppl who review this game showcase the hand to hand combat, the stealthy side of things instead of guns a blazing style gameplay.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Wraithone said:
    Care to elaborate?
    He's talking about Rick Alan Ross a cult expert and deprogrammer. Ross is Ubisoft's cult consultant for Far Cry 5 and I'm assuming Wraithone is intimating Ross's work against the Branch Davidians in Waco.

Far Cry 5 With Rick Alan Ross, Dan Hay And Jean Sebastien Decent

Far Cry 5 cult adviser reveals how these fanatics thrive: Follow the money

That's an awesome consultant for such a game.

Here's to hoping more video games reach out to such folks to help inform their narrative.
    [Deleted User]

edited March 2018

Wraithone said:

Care to elaborate?

He's talking about Rick Alan Ross a cult expert and deprogrammer. Ross is Ubisoft's cult consultant for Far Cry 5 and I'm assuming Wraithone is intimating Ross's work against the Branch Davidians in Waco.

Far Cry 5 With Rick Alan Ross, Dan Hay And Jean Sebastien Decent

Far Cry 5 cult adviser reveals how these fanatics thrive: Follow the money

That's an awesome consultant for such a game.

Here's to hoping more video games reach out to such folks to help inform their narrative.

He is not awesome at all. Many see him as a fraud and a person with a personal vendetta. He also has a criminal history.
    For example see: https://www.sott.net/article/150574-Rick-Ross-Religious-Expert-False-Expert-Psychopath

The Waco Massacre is a highly controversial topic because the government basically found excuses to go in and kill 76 ton of people, including 25 children. The FBI and ATF also botched a previous arrest at Ruby Ridge, which resulted in them assassinating a 14 year old and his mother, who was also holding a baby in her arms. These actions were essentially giving groups distrustful of the government proof that their beliefs were well founded, which not only escalated the issue but caused the FBI and ATF to face public criticism.

So the geniuses at the FBI/ATF thought they would try to repair their image by doing a "successful" arrest, with all the cameras and news on them at the same time. They chose to target the Branch Davidians, made up some excuse, never proven, why they needed to raid the property. This was going to be staged farce to which those government institutions could get back their image. It was all set up, since they could have arrested David Koresh many times outside of the property, even when he volunteered they wouldn't let it be so easy. Again they wanted a spectacle for the media. They brought in tanks, military helicopters and snipers...ect

Only they screwed that up even worse than the Ruby Ridge murders. Some of the ATF people shot their own (friendly fire) and then blamed it on the Branch Davidians. Everything was so clumsily done... and yet no one was ever held accountable. Evidence contradicting the FBI narrative magically went missing, the politicians and the leaders driving the operations just got off scott free.

Furthermore, there was pressure mounting from the first lady at the time (she ran for president this time around) who was annoyed that the media attention was still on the Waco "standoff", when her highly touted health care bill was supposed to be the focus.

The key here is that not only was it botched at every level, but that military grade weapons were used on civilians. This was pretty much unheard of before.

The FBI Negotiator (Gary Noesner) who was part of the operation denounced the actions done by the FBI and ATF. The ATF would blast sounds of animals being slaughtered for hours on end as a form of psychological warfare. He was shocked that the government portrayed the Davidians as "fanatics" and "cultist" in order to justify dehumanizing them and thus the extreme actions taken. Him and the survivors have spoken out at length regarding the events, directly contradicting the FBI and ATF themselves.

This documentary sheds some light on what happened:
    Additionally Paramount just did a miniseries about it... Which clearly Farcry 5's release date seems to take into consideration.

Simply because of the tactic of dehumanization via "cult", "fanatic" and "extremist" labels, which objectively seem to have no defining properties other than being used to trigger a "negative reaction", Farcry 5 does not look so great in that regard. Obviously their design choices are no coincidence.

This is also isnt meant to put the Davidians in a positive light, but its clear that Rick Ross and Ubisoft in this case were using Ruby Ridge and Waco as the foundation for the game. When you are aware of this stuff, its kind of hard to not be alienated by it when its presented in entertainment. It can be seen as a form of propaganda.
    Post edited by DataDay on
    bartoni33QuicksandforcelimaTheScavenger

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Torval said:

Scot said:

"But you’re not here to see what kind of party Ubisoft throws"

Actually would love to hear more about that, if its a cult in the mid west, did anyone get baptised in a river? From the UK here, and that happens in every film and TV series I see about that mid west so they must have done? ;)

(1)As a whole people in that area of the PNW treasure gun rights, personal rights, local over federal government, and all the stuff you might typically associate with "murica".

(2)
    I

Our region attracts extremist groups because they're looking for a place to operate without interference. A lot of people move out here because outside of Seattle/King County, and a much lesser extent Portand, most of the region is rural and sparsely populated. Lots of people come here to live out the western fantasy, live off the grid, or find seclusion. Cults, para-military nuts, extremists, and other wacko groups make up a portion of those. Most find that their fantasy of the wild west isn't as fun when it gets hard.

I hope that provides a little better picture of the regional detail. I know often when people refer to areas and regions in the UK I get the broad stereotyped trope instead of a more local perspective. I hope it's helpful.

(1) For more neutral context, I would argue the first point is that they value constitutional rights (including the 2nd amendment) and the ideological basis/political theory for which the united states was founded upon. Check out the Federalist Papers.

(2) The same can also be said for the big cities and social centers.

Where those who like certain degrees of independence (and being left alone) move into rural areas...those who that tend to push for more collectivism and not leaving people alone tend to gather in big cities. The people moving to rural areas to be left alone (which is more in line with our founding) is not any more crazy than those who seek to collectivize and control via centralized authority within the cities. These are just two different world views.

Extremist can be found in both as well. Antifa (black block communist) for example, gather in the "far left" hubs in the PNW. Extremism also is a misnomer, its actually hard to define what it even means beyond having a strong stance. We all have those.

Also remember, for context sake, our nation's first president said: "A free people ought not to only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." This is largely the political philosophy in which the nation was founded upon, so naturally there will be people who feel the same way. Our very foundation is based on both distrust of government and checks & balances meant to prevent a repeat of history, from which the biggest criminals are political leaders themselves.

On a side note, Bioshock approached it better. They tried to critique philosopher Ayn Rand with the theme and setting of the game, though it butchered her philosophy, it was still pulling on complete hyper-stylized fiction. Farcry 5 makes no such attempt.
    forcelimaQuicksand

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited March 2018

This is not a political forum.

The game covers a politicized topic and used politicized people as well as politicized events to help frame it. Why are you upset its being covered in the discussion? Its not appearing in any unnatural fashion, but rather a byproduct of the discussion itself as well as questions presented.

If it touches on any confirmation biases you may have, just say so and move on, or better yet think critically and come to your own conclusions based on a neutral position or at the very least seeing a few different perspectives.
    Quicksand

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다