Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never played WoW, now I try it out

MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
edited March 2018 in World of Warcraft
I have been around in gaming for a long time, I have played yadda I have played this, you know the drill.
So, I thought why not play WoW , I tried it years ago with that 7 days trial they had and it was as expected generic, kill this, fetch that.

Last week I took a leap of faith and downloaded it played for a day, and thought wth I buy the pack up to Legion and start playing.
Well It's not boring and It's not very fun game It's like for me in the between I can play it, but I can understand why people get hooked on the game, you get so so much carrots all the time that you just have to do that thing and damn boom you get a quest that endsup in a nice mount or a gold dungeon run that flow thru and you get awesome loot every run.

WoW are Like Las Vegas, but in WoW you always win.

I will try to get to max level and see whats going on, but as it stands now, damn the game is really old and stale.
JeffSpicoli

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Maurgrim said:
    I have been around in gaming for a long time, I have played yadda I have played this, you know the drill.
    So, I thought why not play WoW , I tried it years ago with that 7 days trial they had and it was as expected generic, kill this, fetch that.

Last week I took a leap of faith and downloaded it played for a day, and thought wth I buy the pack up to Legion and start playing.
    Well It's not boring and It's not very fun game It's like for me in the between I can play it, but I can understand why people get hooked on the game, you get so so much carrots all the time that you just have to do that thing and damn boom you get a quest that endsup in a nice mount or a gold dungeon run that flow thru and you get awesome loot every run.

WoW are Like Las Vegas, but in WoW you always win.

I will try to get to max level and see whats going on, but as it stands now, damn the game is really old and stale.
    What were you expecting from it? What are you looking for?
    BeezerbeezpantaroPhry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693
    I cant stand the game either, for that exact same reason, someone farts and they get a achievement+loot
    [Deleted User]

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    maybe if you stopped throwing money at things on a whim you'd feel less disappointed?
    Harikenpantaro

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I have never played WoW, But I have watched a few of my friends play it and saw some vids. In comparison to modern games, it may not seem like much, but, you have got to understand the market back then, when EQ was King of the Hill, where you had Insane Spawn Camps, Mind Numbing Gear and EXP Grinds and Brutally Penalizing Death Penalties, WoW was a "Casuals" dream come true, even with the supposed End Game Raids and Elite Content, in comparison to the next contender on the block, WoW, was a fun filled playpen of joy.

Or so it looked.. again.. never played it, just watched others play it and seen some vids.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    Noo!! leave wow ..you can still make it..dont let blizzard hand raise or feed you with ther kiddy games,,play something that has pegi 18 or 16 atleast

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Its kind of like how i feel about all mmo's at the moment. Been playing them since 99/2000. I think i need a new hobby.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2018
    My problem with wow is the lack of real persistence, which started this whole trend for a lot of other games. In order to make it so that "anyone" can start the game at "anytime" content has no real sense of relevance between patches, let alone the entire expansion (even though I'm used to FFXI's way of doing expansions which was expanding the world, and not moving the player from hub to hub to hub each expansion as it is now). So as soon as a raid comes out, pretty much the previous one is obsolete and generic world gear becomes better than the harder previous tier raid gear. I feel bad for the actual devs that have to come up with raid ideas given how fast stuff becomes obsolete in the same expansion. MMORPGs have never been about how fast new content is produced but how good it was in terms of quality and how well it worked with the rest of the game. Something that is really lacking in most mmorpgs. Most people dont even do anything higher than the bare minimum, so maybe you'd see less people clearing raids or actually care a bit more if Normal was the lowest raid tier and not LFR.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    WoW was the everyone gets a trophy game...Dont have to work much for anything and everything is handed to you...To me there was very little gratification in the game.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    WoW was the everyone gets a trophy game...Dont have to work much for anything and everything is handed to you...To me there was very little gratification in the game.
    The Oprah of games lol

[Deleted User]Kilrane
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Unlike Old School EQ.. where almost everyone got jack shit.
    FrodoFraginsJeleena
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Albatroes said:
    My problem with wow is the lack of real persistence, which started this whole trend for a lot of other games. In order to make it so that "anyone" can start the game at "anytime" content has no real sense of relevance between patches, let alone the entire expansion (even though I'm used to FFXI's way of doing expansions which was expanding the world, and not moving the player from hub to hub to hub each expansion as it is now). So as soon as a raid comes out, pretty much the previous one is obsolete and generic world gear becomes better than the harder previous tier raid gear. I feel bad for the actual devs that have to come up with raid ideas given how fast stuff becomes obsolete in the same expansion. MMORPGs have never been about how fast new content is produced but how good it was in terms of quality and how well it worked with the rest of the game. Something that is really lacking in most mmorpgs.
    That's probably the biggest overall design flaw with WoW right there.  They're constantly rendering their older content obsolete.  And they don't have to do that.  They don't have to make the previous expansions damn near worthless.  They don't have to design such large power gaps within a single expansion to the point where the gear you found at the beginning of the expansion is several orders of magnitude weaker than what's acquired near the end.  It's poor design in every respect.  It's more work for the developers and produces a less satisfying experience for the players than if they'd designed the game in such a way as to keep older content relevant.  They should expand the game horizontally, not vertically.
    I'd like to see an MMORPG that focused on literally just adding parallel content throughout all levels.

Seriously, folks will grind out 3-4 different characters doing the same leveling content over and over.  One might think that updating and adding leveling content regularly would do wonders to help with retention, particularly if you've any interest in adding new classes down the line.
    [Deleted User]borghive49

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I cant stand the game either, for that exact same reason, someone farts and they get a achievement+loot

It's called Toot for Loot (TFL) and show some respect!
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Peajay123Peajay123 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    When MMORPG's were new, they were more immersive, took a long time to make progress from being a total wimp to able to hold your own against most of the world, and they were very unforgiving.

When WOW launched, i'd already played better games (Final Fantasy XI and Runescape) which meant I also found the 7 day trial of WOW very cartoony and generic and wasn't able to get immersed in the world.

As many have said before, your first MMORPG is usually the one you have the best experience and memories playing. I'm still looking for a game that can give me what i'm looking for but feel that may never happen.
    Ungood said:
    Unlike Old School EQ.. where almost everyone got jack shit.
    LOL ... I never played Everquest, but that's what I heard.  I did play Dark Age of Camelot, though.  And the characterizations that World of Warcraft was the casual version of Everquest/DAoC is apt, but it was still a much more challenging game back then than any themepark MMO today, including the modern version of itself.  And to me, it was the perfect level of challenge.  Rewards still had to be earned so they felt satisfying but you didn't need to ruin your marriage or flunk out of college in order to progress in the game.
    DAoC was much.. Much.. Kinder then EQ.

As someone that played EQ and DAoC, trust me, DAoC felt "pretty damn easy" in comparison to EQ. Which, IMHO, is why WoW kicked off so massive, it catered to the (at that time) casual gamer, and thus set the trend and bar in that direction.

I have to say, I like the modern trend better. I mean, from what I have heard, GW2 is like a final step in that direction, and I loved that game, (I also loved EQ too.. funny what 20 years, a job, and a family will do to change your tastes in games) but, it's cool to get daily log in rewards, it awesome to not worry about players Kill stealing, ninja looting, or stealing some stupid resource, its' great to have a game where we all win just by playing.

Sure, it's junk (or as you said.. Coppers from the Slot Machine) but, I can play for a little bit and still feel like I made progress. I can play between cooking and still make progress.. you get the idea.

I would never want to go back to those days, the "Golden Age" as they called it.. for me.. after playing EQ for 6 years, it felt like I woke up from a trance, and my life had passed me by.. Never liked that.. Love the modern games.. where.. eh.. Let me escape for an hour.. kill something, but still able to respond to real life as it comes.

I get that since I never played WoW, and you never played EQ, we don't have that same foundation, for you it was a great time. for me.. it was like being a drug addict, where I had to play 10+ hours a day to be viable and competitive.

I don't miss those days. I guess my glasses were amber.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Albatroes said:
    My problem with wow is the lack of real persistence, which started this whole trend for a lot of other games. In order to make it so that "anyone" can start the game at "anytime" content has no real sense of relevance between patches, let alone the entire expansion (even though I'm used to FFXI's way of doing expansions which was expanding the world, and not moving the player from hub to hub to hub each expansion as it is now). So as soon as a raid comes out, pretty much the previous one is obsolete and generic world gear becomes better than the harder previous tier raid gear. I feel bad for the actual devs that have to come up with raid ideas given how fast stuff becomes obsolete in the same expansion. MMORPGs have never been about how fast new content is produced but how good it was in terms of quality and how well it worked with the rest of the game. Something that is really lacking in most mmorpgs.
    That's probably the biggest overall design flaw with WoW right there.  They're constantly rendering their older content obsolete.  And they don't have to do that.  They don't have to make the previous expansions damn near worthless.  They don't have to design such large power gaps within a single expansion to the point where the gear you found at the beginning of the expansion is several orders of magnitude weaker than what's acquired near the end.  It's poor design in every respect.  It's more work for the developers and produces a less satisfying experience for the players than if they'd designed the game in such a way as to keep older content relevant.  They should expand the game horizontally, not vertically.
    For a while now I've been thinking a lot on how to make raids intertwine with each other and one of my ideas was to have one set for the entire expansion, except just break it up over the raid tiers and have it be capped ilvl for the expansion but also upgradeable via tokens or something that you get from the raids you got the piece at so there's a constant reason to go back. This idea would probably work better for something like FFXIV though since they dont have as many raid bosses per expansion and they have a ilvl sync ability which allows you to not exceed the determined ilvl for that piece of content if imposed so it still keeps the challenge. Of course there would be filler gear and they can approach that as they normally do, but if they did it this way, they wouldn't have to design as much "cool" looking gear or worry about raid tier sets conflicting with each other since it would be one set over the entire expansion.
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Should have tried it in Vanilla or even TBC. Well you can actually soon try the classic version
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Wow is fun for me, until you run into the wall of requiring a high end group of people to basically continue. I started back up in legion, well end of WoD to get ready for legion, then I stopped when LFR still only had the first wing of the first raid open because it dropped lower ilvl then what i already had, so I had exhausted all means of progression without signing up for the job of raiding or praying for a titanforge rarer then getting a legendary.

(speaking as someone who played at 100% attendance in a server first raiding guild in vanilla)

when BFA preorders hit i decided to go back in, enticed by the allied races, had fun doing the 'new' storylines, WQ's, getting rep and getting a steady stream of new gear upgrades from a combination of WQ rewards and the new 910 argus vendor over a couple of weeks. Then i had my exalteds for the new argus factions and an ilvl of 930 (base LFR is 915). The only thing keeping me in the game now is leveling my new void elf to be main in BFA but once that is 110 and geared outside of non LFR raids I don't see myself being subbed until BFA releases.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2018
    Yep welcome to the world of terrible game design,block players from moving on behind some wall of GRIND/loot/gear score.
    So many games are doing this,even though end game is total garbage imo,this seems to be what most devs are focusing on.
    That is what made FFXI so special for so many years,you could pretty much fight anything in total noob gear,it was more about grouping,the people in your group and the FUN and that really are the ONLY things that should matter in a game.

Square Enix does it,SOE/DBG does it,Blizzard does it,Geesh even all these ARPG's are about your build and NOT about you as a player.

I...we are witnessing a terrible direction in game design,i hoped for better things but instead we see shallow superficial gaming,ranks/leagues>>>all pointing to $$$.

THEN...to add insult to injury we have to listen to reviews on websites BULLSHITTING us about how good every game is,here is a link,go there buy it,play it,yeah whatever,how about NO THANKS.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Tiller said:
    The Oprah of games lol

It's that way now, but it didn't used to be that way.  In vanilla World of Warcraft, good gear was not easy to come by.  Only devoted players managed to get good gear.  And the very best gear was very difficult to get indeed.  "Epic" gear was actually epic back then.  Now, epic gear is ... well, it's purple ... I guess that's cool if you like that color.
    Yeah I was around then, money wasn't as easy to come by either. All games have gone easy mode in a way. I even remember when making 1 gold in GW2 was hard and there was no mega servers so you could free load off world events. Even in BDO they give boss gear away just for logging into the game. Sign of the times lol.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Pr3sid3ntSkr00bPr3sid3ntSkr00b Member UncommonPosts: 53
    WoW is a jack of all trades master of....well few.  Broad appeal, broad audience, broad play styles. Raid focused game. A lot to do but nothing to do if you are niche ffa open pvp loot em up playstyle. Good game, lasting appeal.  I see why some people love it and others, well not so much.  I like their AH the most out of most all mmos Ive played but the lack of important crafted gear doesnt resonate well we me.  Great game though.  Im currently not playing btw.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    You have fun or not, if not try another game. I wanted to do some val'kyr lore, so I made a shaman orc and did they silverpine forest quests. Now I'm in a Dutch guild and level 70 and kinda like the guild. So I'm not sure what to do now haha maybe I stick with the shaman and make a zandalari druid (with the 110 boost)

Now I know the Val'Kyr are dead champions of Vrykul race, you got the Val'kyrs from Odyn and the Lich king and Eyir can make them, that's why Sylvanas wanted to control her. She got only 4 left so if she dies now she prob will die forgood. /cheer

Btw Spirithealers are dead Vrykul who decided to help lost adventures.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    I do enjoy the lore in the game.
    Dragnelus
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Ppiper said:
    I've been playing since beta and still enjoy it. Piss on it all you want, but I'm having fun. Isn't that what counts?
    Yes, people have different tastes.
    Wow is still doing ok because there are still people who enjoy that kind of game, there is a market obviously.
    Personally I can't wait for Classic WoW which I think is a good balance between EQ and modern WoW.
  • RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    If you have fun playing it then fair play,  I just can't get passed how boring it is, every time i play it apart from when i was lvling i get bored after a few days.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Dragnelus said:
    You have fun or not, if not try another game. I wanted to do some val'kyr lore, so I made a shaman orc and did they silverpine forest quests. Now I'm in a Dutch guild and level 70 and kinda like the guild. So I'm not sure what to do now haha maybe I stick with the shaman and make a zandalari druid (with the 110 boost)

Now I know the Val'Kyr are dead champions of Vrykul race, you got the Val'kyrs from Odyn and the Lich king and Eyir can make them, that's why Sylvanas wanted to control her. She got only 4 left so if she dies now she prob will die forgood. /cheer

Btw Spirithealers are dead Vrykul who decided to help lost adventures.
    You really do know a lot about lore. B)
    Dragnelus
    Chamber of Chains