Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cant recommend ESO

InfiniteStrifeInfiniteStrife Member UncommonPosts: 36
Normally Im not that type of person do make posts about bugs etc but this experience (as in IT man even) it the worst Ive probably ever had in any game/MMO.

Still since the Morrowind launch (and even earlier if you google it) there is a bug for some people that goes black screen and you have to alt+F4 the game.

Ive goggled EVERYTHING for almost 2 days now and none of the fixes helps - not even reinstalling.

Many other players have the same issues tied to ESO and nvidia and they never really seem to find a solution.

The worst part about this is the incompetence  at Zenimax studio that this gamebreaking bug still persist and nobody fixes it.

Ive played ALOT of buggy games but cant seem to recall a game that I actually had to give up on on that caliber.

This company & game is a joke. Dont bother with it.
AlomarShadanwolf

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2018
    This must be very important to you to talk about with that 32 post count. Seems like around a million people have a reason to play it. Personally, I still can't get over it not having a global AH but to each their own.
    MikehaOctagon7711YashaX
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    I never had black screen in ESO..perhaps your gfx card is broken or your entire pc system most be broken or neds updates or a cleaning app to remove dead files that messes up ?
    Octagon7711

• InfiniteStrifeInfiniteStrife Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I never had black screen in ESO..perhaps your gfx card is broken or your entire pc system most be broken or neds updates or a cleaning app to remove dead files that messes up ?
    https://www.google.dk/search?ei=sIWZWoPjK4yQsAHPrI_AAQ&q=eso+blackscreen&oq=eso+blackscreen&gs_l=psy-ab.3..35i39k1l2j0i13k1l4j0i13i30k1l5.2647007.2648338.0.2648746.11.11.0.0.0.0.143.930.9j2.11.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.11.927...0j0i67k1j0i20i263k1j0i22i10i30k1.0.av9zFZfo5_c

Numerous posts about the same issue...even in 2018...*still* so..no, its not on my end.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I have an Nvidia card and so far no black screens.  I noticed the game is super laggy after major updates, so I wait a few weeks for them to get it straightened out.  
    ZenJellyYashaX

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    https://www.google.dk/search?ei=sIWZWoPjK4yQsAHPrI_AAQ&q=eso+blackscreen&oq=eso+blackscreen&gs_l=psy-ab.3..35i39k1l2j0i13k1l4j0i13i30k1l5.2647007.2648338.0.2648746.11.11.0.0.0.0.143.930.9j2.11.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.11.927...0j0i67k1j0i20i263k1j0i22i10i30k1.0.av9zFZfo5_c

Numerous posts about the same issue...even in 2018...*still* so..no, its not on my end.
    It could very well be on your end, but as you've shared no details about your rig who can say.

In this recent thread it appears lower end laptop video cards are struggling,  and perhaps thats your issue.  

You also fail to mention if it ever worked for you, if so when did it stop etc.

Here's the thing, if most people can play the game fine, the issue is almost certainly on your end, your rig isn't compatible for some reason.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/386906/black-screen-after-hitting-the-play-button-on-the-eso-launcher
    ZenJellyYashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited March 2018
    As someone who has been playing ESO with an nVidia card for 4 years and haven't experienced this problem (although I've had other issues now and then) all I can say is that this certainly wouldn't be my go-to forum for troubleshooting any technical issue experienced by a small minority... if my intent was to try to find a solution that is.

And BTW, a lot of my issues have been fixed by deleting usersettings.txt and letting the game rebuild it and/or disabling specific add-ons (both Master Merchant and Harvest Map, for example, are huge resource hogs.)

These days I get FPS in the 100-144 range (yes, there is a way to unlock the 100 FPS default max) almost everywhere with the usual drop down to 50 or 60 in busy cities. Purring along like a kitten.
    Octagon7711ZenJelly
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• VerenathVerenath Member UncommonPosts: 61
    No system specs listed.
    No list of the fixes you've tried.

These items are the basic starting points for a thread of this type.

BruceYee

-Verenath-

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

ESO is a great story telling MMORPG.  If you don't mind reading and are into story telling MMORPGs, then ESO is for you.  It offers much more than story, of course, but story telling and its relevant quest lines are one of its strengths.  If you like dungeon crawling, the dungeons are pretty cool too.  If you don't like reading or quests, however, or find mindless game play or mob grinding fun, then you will obviously not like ESO.  ESO requires a bit of aforethought.  It is not for the shallow minded for sure.   
    Octagon7711GorweZenJelly
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Er guys,  dont just reply to the thread title,  read the OP at least, this is about system compatibility issues.

gervaise1

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited March 2018
    Albatroes said:
    This must be very important to you to talk about with that 32 post count. Seems like around a million people have a reason to play it. Personally, I still can't get over it not having a global AH but to each their own.

I'm still astounded that they don't have this.  This makes it such an awful experience to participate the market.  There's nothing worse than being forced to join "another" guild (and many of them have "membership fees") just to have decent market access.  Not to mention traversing the in-game world in search of Guild Merchants.

I will say that I got a lot of disconnects playing this game.  This was mostly the PC version.  Ping goes to 400+, and I go LD.  Or I crash straight to desktop.  Sometimes I just get logged out to character select.  It happened a lot - too much, actually.

Don't think I noticed any graphical glitches, per se.  Maybe once or twice I got a black screen and had to Alt-F4 out of the game, but it wasn't something that I would classify as common or even occasionally.  Rare would be more appropriate.

As far as the gameplay, I'd only play it if you wanted something with a lot of content for solo gameplay, with some group stuff and PvP available.  They aren't calling their game an MMORPG, anyways.  They're calling it a "Multiplayer RPG."  Still a vague description, but more appropriate.  Doing things yourself is a huge component of the game.  The questing is still incredibly generic, and lacks in dynamics (compared to something like Guild Wars 2, for example).

I always recommend GW2 to new players, becuae their base game is free to play, and you can't play this game seriously without a subscription, anyways.  Inventory space is at a premium.  It pretty much is why 90% of people are subscribing to the game (otherwise buying the DLC as they release is cheaper and you control your spending better - though catching up on content releases at this point is a sizeable investment).
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited March 2018
    I had an issue with my old system that prevented me from playing the game at all. After I pressed play the launcher would disappear and the game would not start. I contacted them for help but they couldn't figure out what was wrong so I understand where the OP is coming from. I bought the collector pack or whatever it was at launch and could not play for years until I got a new computer which was after Morrowind.
    edited March 2018
    Darksworm said:
    Albatroes said:

I'm still astounded that they don't have this.  This makes it such an awful experience to participate the market.  There's nothing worse than being forced to join "another" guild (and many of them have "membership fees") just to have decent market access.  Not to mention traversing the in-game world in search of Guild Merchants.

I will say that I got a lot of disconnects playing this game.  This was mostly the PC version.  Ping goes to 400+, and I go LD.  Or I crash straight to desktop.  Sometimes I just get logged out to character select.  It happened a lot - too much, actually.

Don't think I noticed any graphical glitches, per se.  Maybe once or twice I got a black screen and had to Alt-F4 out of the game, but it wasn't something that I would classify as common or even occasionally.  Rare would be more appropriate.

As far as the gameplay, I'd only play it if you wanted something with a lot of content for solo gameplay, with some group stuff and PvP available.  They aren't calling their game an MMORPG, anyways.  They're calling it a "Multiplayer RPG."  Still a vague description, but more appropriate.  Doing things yourself is a huge component of the game.  The questing is still incredibly generic, and lacks in dynamics (compared to something like Guild Wars 2, for example).

I always recommend GW2 to new players, becuae their base game is free to play, and you can't play this game seriously without a subscription, anyways.  Inventory space is at a premium.  It pretty much is why 90% of people are subscribing to the game (otherwise buying the DLC as they release is cheaper and you control your spending better - though catching up on content releases at this point is a sizeable investment).

The only credible criticism mentioned in the above post was the AH.  Since the game's release it has been a hotly debated matter and I think many would agree that it could use a revamp.  I can't speak to the crashing since I haven't experienced it, and judging by how packed the game is, I would guess many others have not as well, but I won't be too critical since the majority should only be thankful in that regard. 

Now to the fourth paragraph of your post.  This paragraph describes GW2 to a "T"  so to say that you would recommend GW2 to new players but not ESO is not only funny, but transparently disingenuous.  The quests in ESO are all voice acted, presented in a unique story telling mode, and each has a mini mob boss villain to battle at the end of each quest, and it all fits in nicely with the overall main story in the game.  They are anything but generic. 

One becomes quite familiar with ESOs characters as you repeatedly come into contact with them throughout the story.  And these are side quests we're talking about, not the main story line.  In fact, there is no other MMORPG, outside of Secret World, that even rivals ESOs quests and story telling.  If you haven't realized that, I doubt you've actually read, or followed, the quests. 

Post edited by LacedOpium on
    Gorwe said:

ESO is a great story telling MMORPG.  If you don't mind reading and are into story telling MMORPGs, then ESO is for you.  It offers much more than story, of course, but story telling and its relevant quest lines are one of its strengths.  If you like dungeon crawling, the dungeons are pretty cool too.  If you don't like reading or quests, however, or find mindless game play or mob grinding fun, then you will obviously not like ESO.  ESO requires a bit of aforethought.  It is not for the shallow minded for sure.   
    Interesting. While I don't have anything against reading, it's my wish that when I play a game that I PLAY a game, not read stuff I could very well do in the downtime. SWTOR, Dragon Age: Origins and Vermintide ruined me. And I LOVE IT!

Therein lies your problem.

Its an MMORPG.  Telling a story while you PLAY the game IS the main objective of the game.
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    edited March 2018
    Gorwe said:

Interesting. While I don't have anything against reading, it's my wish that when I play a game that I PLAY a game, not read stuff I could very well do in the downtime. SWTOR, Dragon Age: Origins and Vermintide ruined me. And I LOVE IT!

Its an MMORPG.  Telling a story while you PLAY the game IS the main objective of the game.
    eh no it's really not.  The main part of an mmo is the social and role playing aspects.  Stories are really much better suited to single player games, and the best mmo in the world could have no story at all and remain the best imo.

A good MMO by definition should be about the players making their own stories.
    edited March 2018
    Dvora said:
    Gorwe said:

eh no it's really not.  The main part of an mmo is the social and role playing aspects.  Stories are really much better suited to single player games, and the best mmo in the world could have no story at all and remain the best imo.

You are mistaking an MMORPG for a Sandbox.  An MMORPG takes you on a journey through a story, and yes you do so while enjoying it with friends, which translates to the MMO part of MMORPG.  While doing so, you are merely an actor role playing a character in that story, which translates to the RPG in MMORPG .  A secondary objective of role playing through the story line with friends, is progressing and developing your character as you journey through the story.

The main problem with gamers playing MMORPGs nowadays, is they do not know the definition of an MMORPG.  What you are describing is an MMO Sandbox, not an MMORPG.

KyleranHachlath
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Dvora said:
    Gorwe said:

You are mistaking an MMORPG for a Sandbox.  An MMORPG takes you on a journey through a story.  You are merely an actor role playing a character in that story.  A secondary objective of role playing through the story line is progressing and developing your character as you journey through the story.

The main problem with gamers playing MMORPGs nowadays, is they do not know the definition of an MMORPG.  What you are describing is an MMO Sandbox, not an MMORPG.

RPG does not mean story. You're one of the gamers who don't know the definition of mmorpg.
    KyleranHachlath

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

edited March 2018
    Sephiroso said:
    Dvora said:
    Gorwe said:

You are mistaking an MMORPG for a Sandbox.  An MMORPG takes you on a journey through a story.  You are merely an actor role playing a character in that story.  A secondary objective of role playing through the story line is progressing and developing your character as you journey through the story.

RPG does not mean story. You're one of the gamers who don't know the definition of mmorpg.

And when did I ever say that?

I clearly stated that RPG means Role Playing.  Stop putting words in my mouth to try to make a point.  If you're going to add to the discussion, make it relevant and don't just throw stuff against the wall just because you disagree with what is being discussed.
    Hachlath
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2018
    Well obviously he would know if his card was broken,nothing would work.

When a card begins to fail you will see oddities in the color and lines.
    My experiences over the years are many,i have seen so many problems i can write a book..sigh.
    my experience with black screen is either compatibility,drivers or lack of overall bandwidth/power to run the game.Especially possible if using integrated GPU's.

I can't say i have a long standing knowledge within Bethesda/Zeni,i have played lots of their games but usually get bored fast as none have ever stuck with me.
    That is maybe the ONLY good thing about Steam and why i use it so much nowadays even though i despise Steam as a business.If i have any problems Steam seems to have a "we can't be bothered to figure anything out attitude" so will just give you a refund>>>IF having not played for i think is 2 hours and that 2 is VERY inaccurate.So it might say 2 hours even though maybe only having played 40 minutes or not at all,just the act of trying to login or attempting to play counts as time played,yeah VERY lame.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited March 2018
    Dvora said:
    Gorwe said:

you are mistaking a themepark single player game with other players around (what most mmo's lately are) for a real mmo.   What about cutscene says massively multiplayer?

Not saying and mmo can't have some backstory to get you started but for the most part that is single player features pasted into what an MMO really is about.  How can you really even have any sort of a believable story in an mmo?

Congrats you wiped out the wolves and saved the town...  Ooops there they are again!  You killed the Evil Lord Nutjob, wait no, hes back!  Stories in mmo's are so overblown wasted and useless for a high percentage of players in mmos.  
    edited March 2018
    and for the record, the best role playing is almost always in a sandboxy mmo.  How you could say that a sandbox mmo is not an mmorpg is just hilarious.

One of the first MMO's, was more mmoRPG than most any since, and more sandboxy too - Ultima Online.  Had pretty much zero story except what you brought from earlier single player Ultima Games, and very few quests.

The themepark quasi mmo games you speak of that want to make you think they have a good story pale in comparison to games Like UO.  Even those themeparks though end up being more about grinding levels and competition than story.

ESO is one of the worst offenders that really should have stayed single player or small scale multiplayer, where they were much better games.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Dvora said:
    Dvora said:
    Gorwe said:

you are mistaking a themepark single player game with other players around (what most mmo's lately are) for a real mmo.   What about cutscene says massively multiplayer?

Not saying and mmo can't have some backstory to get you started but for the most part that is single player features pasted into what an MMO really is about.  How can you really even have any sort of a believable story in an mmo?

Congrats you wiped out the wolves and saved the town...  Ooops there they are again!  You killed the Evil Lord Nutjob, wait no, hes back!  Stories in mmo's are so overblown wasted and useless for a high percentage of players in mmos.  
    I mean I feel like you keep saying MMO like it has some grand higher meaning and you’re trying to avoid the whole RPG thing which MMO is just a pretext to what the game actually is

MMO - Massively Multiplayer Online (basically means nothing but a lot of people connected in the same place at the same time one could almost say the O doesn’t belong here)

RPG - Role Playing Game (This is what the game actually is)

ORPG - Online Roleplaying Game (This is what most current MMORPGS actually are)

The MM part of the whole thing doesn’t make the game something different than what it essentially is, which is an rpg
    LacedOpium
    edited March 2018

Dvora said:
    and for the record, the best role playing is almost always in a sandboxy mmo.  How you could say that a sandbox mmo is not an mmorpg is just hilarious.

Did I ever say that role playing was not being done in an MMO?  

No one ever said you can not role play in an sandbox.  You can role play in any game.  But role playing in a sandbox, or any game for that matter, does not make that sandbox, or game, an MMORPG.

You know what?  I give up trying to explain the simple concepts behind the MMORPG game genre.  The various posts on this thread is a perfect example of why MMORPGs are in the sad state they are today.  Players not know the definition of an MMORPG and bastardizing the genre through their various complaints to developers into the mess the MMORPG genre has evolved into today.  

Not going to waste my time.  

Carry on.

KyleranHachlath

Dvora said:

Did I ever say it wasn't?  

No one ever said you can not role play in an sandbox.  You can role play in any game.  But role playing in a sandbox, or any game for that matter, does not make that sandbox, or game, an MMORPG.

You know what?  I give up trying to explain the simple concepts behind the MMORPG game genre.  The various posts on this thread is a perfect example of why MMORPGs are in the sad state they are today.  Players not know the definition of a sandbox and bastardizing the genre through their various complaints to developers into the mess the MMORPG genre has evolved to today.  

Carry on.

Lol... yes you really are wasting your time, because you are talking nonsense.  
    KyleranHachlath
    edited March 2018
    Dvora said:

Dvora said:

Did I ever say it wasn't?  

You know what?  I give up trying to explain the simple concepts behind the MMORPG game genre.  The various posts on this thread is a perfect example of why MMORPGs are in the sad state they are today.  Players not know the definition of a sandbox and bastardizing the genre through their various complaints to developers into the mess the MMORPG genre has evolved to today.  

Carry on.

Lol... yes you really are wasting your time, because you are talking nonsense.  

The sad part in all of this, is that you are making a fool of yourself and you don't even realize it.  Those that know better, are shaking their head at you.  There are distinct game features that define an MMORPG, and its not merely reduced to the act of role playing in an MMO.

Again, just because one can role play in an MMO does not make that MMO an MMORPG.  I really can't make it any more simpler.
    mbrodie said:
    Dvora said:
    Dvora said:
    Gorwe said:

I mean I feel like you keep saying MMO like it has some grand higher meaning and you’re trying to avoid the whole RPG thing which MMO is just a pretext to what the game actually is

MMO - Massively Multiplayer Online (basically means nothing but a lot of people connected in the same place at the same time one could almost say the O doesn’t belong here)

RPG - Role Playing Game (This is what the game actually is)

ORPG - Online Roleplaying Game (This is what most current MMORPGS actually are)

The MM part of the whole thing doesn’t make the game something different than what it essentially is, which is an rpg
    I guess you missed the part about sandboxy MMORPG's usually having the best role playing communities.  I'm not saying an mmo cant have both, just that the stories dont make the mmo, the players make the mmo, and the real stories that make them good.