Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG that could be played idle on second screen while working ?

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
So i am looking for fairly complex MMO that can be played on second screen while working. 
You can give your character some task and he will hack at it and only need your attention occasionally.

This, however, should not involve botting or any hacking activity.

And game should be MMO not single player clicker with friend list. On PC. And light enough to be possible to run on second screen without bogging resources

Gdemamid17george

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    DMKano said:
    BDO - this is how 90% of the playerbase plays - AFK fishing or AFK processing.

Don't need a 2nd screen as you can minimize to tray.
    I agree, Other than actually leveling, things like processing and fishing really don't "require" you to be there.

Oh sure, fishing is faster if you are at the controls but I sometimes, after leveling, will set up my fishing, get a good wine and just relax, occasionally help it along, read some chat, etc.
    [Deleted User]d17george
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    EVE with mining and crafting.
    Sovrath
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    DMKano said:
    BDO - this is how 90% of the playerbase plays - AFK fishing or AFK processing.

Don't need a 2nd screen as you can minimize to tray.
    Except for BDO
    KyleranWaan

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Weren't you the fellow who baited us with that 'MMOs are dead' video? Now you want us to tell you about MMOs you can play with your brain turned off? Fool me once etc. :)
    halfmysticKyleran
    Scot said:
    Weren't you the fellow who baited us with that 'MMOs are dead' video? Now you want us to tell you about MMOs you can play with your brain turned off? Fool me once etc. :)
    Apples and oranges. But I understand you lack the mental capacity to realize that. 

But let me simplify it so you can understand (hopefully, since i can not paint it)
    I want MMO game to play while Im working. This has nothing to do with MMO i want to play when i am not working.
    GdemamiThunder073Kyleran

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    You indicate you want to play something, but only secondarily while working, and one that will only need your attention occasionally. Sounds like you are a candidate to be an afker in some WoW battlegrounds somewhere. Hopefully not one that I am in lol. 
    BruceYee

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited March 2018
    Lineage II, now that they let you bot legally with in-game macros.

You can grind literally 24/7 now, with your own "group" of characters.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Darksworm said:

Was there an announcement about that or are you just inferring because there are bots.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited March 2018
    Sovrath said:
    Darksworm said:

Was there an announcement about that or are you just inferring because there are bots.

Looks like you haven't played Lineage II in... years.

This is not inference.  This is just you not having a clue what the game is like, now.

The game allows you to loop Macros, now, which has allowed people to set up groups of characters that level AFK.  This is pretty well known. It's been going on for at least a couple of years now.  It's somewhat worse than program botting, but totally legitimate and can be done while completely afk (i.e. asleep or at work).

I know, I've done it.  It's basically the only way to keep up with other players, because they're all going to be doing it as well.

EDIT:  NCSoft themselves have stated that Macro-Botting (what many people call it) is legitimate.  Go read the official forums (use search, etc.).  The posts are there, as are the discussions about it.
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 532
    Scot said:
    Apples and oranges. But I understand you lack the mental capacity to realize that. 

But let me simplify it so you can understand (hopefully, since i can not paint it)
    I want MMO game to play while Im working. This has nothing to do with MMO i want to play when i am not working.
    Did someone make an "r/iamverysmart" post yet? 
    Scot
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    YEp as mentioned and why i won't ever touch the game again >>>BDO.
    The game that encourages you to NOT play.Want to move,just auto path.

There are other games with milder ideas,like EQ2 your merc can be set to attack anything that comes close or attacks you however you need to occasionally move your player or game removes your merc for obvious reasons.

Runes of magic has an Elf class that has the same ability,the pet will attack anything that comes close and last i played you could just go idle and have it kill for you all day,very slow of course waiting for spawns.

However in ALL games,you won't actually be "playing the game"so why bother?

In FXXI i could play VERY casually at higher levels with Beastmaster and pet because the game doesn't have you run around looking for NPC's to get quests,you simply find a safe place to camp then whenever ready,send in pet...AOE all dead,go back to rest/work,then kill again when ready and spawns.Of course there are areas where they would be NO aggro,so i could just stand in the middle of a bunch of mobs and fight whenever i felt like it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It all depends what you want out of a game,i would say the majority 90+% in mmorpg's are only playing to race to end game then go for best end game loot,so most are playing 1% of a game,the other 99% is only to get them to end game.
    I play for fun,so i chose EQ2 and FFXI as my go to,for me i can play casual,have some fun fights,explore,collect stuff no feeling of pressure to do anything i don't want to.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Solitaire... I hear that's an mmorpg by today's standards.  And you won't miss a thing if you AFK for hours.
    Scot

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Old School Runescape. Forget fishing - you can even grind combat semi-AFK if you set yourself up in the middle of a group of aggressive mob spawns and turn auto-retaliate on, only clicking back occassionally to drink potions.

It'll also pretty much run on a toaster.
  • trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146
    edited March 2018
    You can definitely get away with this on Everquest, TLP  servers or not. Of course not all scenarios, but certainly some scenarios and some classes. I played rocket league & heroes of the storm through probably 75% of my leveling curve as a Wizard on TLP.

The game just doesn't demand a whole lot of you once you get into a rythm with a good group, or if you are soloing easier content with say: a pet class. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Scot said:

It is such a shame you cannot paint, but help is at hand, there is a MMO where you can learn to paint:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/mmo-paint 

Have a crack at that after work and then maybe those of lesser IQ than yourself will be able to understand you. ;)

Seriously, if not BDO what about EVE? It has been mentioned and I think it fits your criteria well.
    Kyleran
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Clearly I have the wrong job.
    KyleranScotWaan
    I actually used to play video games at my job over the summer. But I stopped. I understand what the OP is asking for a game where you get your gaming fix but can still focus on work at the same time. Where you progress in the game and at work at the same time. 

Cryomatrix
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Guild wars 2
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    This is the most complex game you can play while AFK. Characters can fight on their own and the pet will loot all the drops. Positives: Open world, PvP, active guilds, raids for when you are active. Over 180 playable characters.
  • WindamereWindamere Member UncommonPosts: 75
    For those people telling the poor guy that something is Ok in Eve Online : 

511 bans related to macro use and botting.
    Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/eve-online/news/team-security-to-provide-information-about-the-ongoing-fight-against-botting-1000047578#KR0yPlKoQfosftw1.99
    edited March 2018
    I never use botting or macros

but EVE, you can mine in safe sec, and have a huge mining ship and check every few minutes when asteroid is done. 
    Post edited by Cryomatrix on
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Personally I don't think a MMO is perfect for that kind of play, It is better to play something like AoW3 with some friends that also works since the turned based nature of it means you can take your sweet time without missing anything.

Of course it is still best to use simultanious turns so to cut down waiting but I recommend the game even if it is just a multiplayer game and not a MMO.
    Both Grando Espada and EVE are good recommendations. Thanks!
    Beezerbeez

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Yeah i like this idea, like ingame botting system. people like to watch their toon fighting mobs. like watching twitch gaming. why not its a good

however i more prefer game like black desert online to have tab target and auto attack option feel more like gaming than just watching bot doing everything.