Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'A Good Chance Our [April] Steam Release Date Will Slip' According to Brinkmann - Legends of Aria -

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

image'A Good Chance Our [April] Steam Release Date Will Slip' According to Brinkmann - Legends of Aria - MMORPG.com

Legends of Aria News - Derek Brinkmann took to Reddit earlier today for an Ask Me Anything session with fans of Legends of Aria. The first question out of the bag asked if he believed that LoA would make its projected April Steam release date. Brinkmann wrote that, while a lot of great feedback had been taken from CBT1, the team realized that more work needs to be done on optimization, fleshing out professions and on a new player experience.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Np , it needs to ... get the game ready...dont rush it
    CoolitManWithNoTanNephethRemyVorenderCrazKanuk[Deleted User]Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Smart move, and kudos for having balls to set and try to hit target dates, something too few devs do these days.
    CoolitScorchienSBFordManWithNoTanNephethAlomarMadFrenchieblamo2000GdemamiScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DkuangDkuang Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Yeah, ain't no way the game's ready for Steam EA because what they have now will likely get ripped to shreds with negative reviews on Steam and basically cripple the game before it even got a chance to crawl let alone walk.

Playing the game for the past few months, has been a sad disappointment because it's nothing like UO which it claims to be inspired by. Which is sad because I played UO from '98 onwards and UO is literally 20+ years old and LoA can't even hold a candle to it yet in terms of gameplay, complexity, and overall game design. Which goes to show you how ahead of it's time UO was ...or for that matter how much LoA is lacking.

Citadel needs to cowboy up, buckle up them pants and put in a whole lot more elbow grease to get LoA/Shards Online to be a descent niche game, let a lone a UO inspired mmorpg.
    BruceYeeBluefishScorchienGdemami

You reap what you sow.

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    I've played it and as a veteran of Ultima online the beginner experience is insanely lackluster. Steam reviewers are infamous for impatience and therefore this game will get torn asunder with negative feedback and will result in a unlikely comeback on that specific platform guaranteed!
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    It pains me to write this but I've been playing this since it was first made available to the public and considering how long the game has been in development I don't think much will be improved from now until Steam launch. The entire game is clunky, character creator is the worst I have ever seen and the lack of improvements over the years makes me think they really overplayed their credentials and/or this game was always just a cash grab that failed.
    ManWithNoTanBluefish
  • Riot55Riot55 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Seriously, come play on the Legends of Ultima community server instead, it's way better than official. Everything from new player experience, quality of life things (health bars/showing on map/double clicking on stuff), more content, and obviously all the skills reworked to be UO... all more advanced than the official server.
    MorbeousKyleran
  • BluefishBluefish Member UncommonPosts: 96
    BruceYee, I agree but I think it's more to do with overplaying their credentials than being a cash grab. I think they really want to make this modern day UO vision, but unfortunately are struggling to create anything that isn't painful to play. Judging from their reports of the various alphas and the recent beta, there are people that extensively play this and get on with it. Me, I try every 6 months or so, realise nothing has got any better and can't bring myself to log to the current build again. Sad.
    BruceYee
  • ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    edited March 2018
    I think a lot of the people decrying this game for not being like UO don't quite remember what UO was like when it first launched..

1) There was NO tutorial. That came much, much later. You had to figure out EVERYTHING on your own. No quests, no guides, nothing. You know how long it took me to figure out how to get kindling for a campfire back then? An unreasonable amount of time for something so simple.

2) Character creation was always lackluster, and still is. Minimal appearance options for customization, and they didn't even have RACES until the 4th or 5th expansion. Armor and clothing appearance was even more limited - You had plate, chain, leather, cloth, and a basic dye tub that only worked on cloth. Everything looked the same.

3) UO has always had a clunky UI. To be fair, the ability to place icons anywhere for spells was nice, but I don't miss it enough to take notice of it. Right click or double click instead of ctrl click? Nit-picky at best. Let's not even get into the fact you had to buy a third-party program, UOAssist, for a lot of the things in modern UI's players take for granted.

4) Your location on the map? You still need an add-on to the UO classic client for that, or use the new client. At least they're not making you chart moon patterns with a sextant. You had to learn your way around the world, and by and large, still do.

If anything, they've committed the cardinal sin of being VERY similar to what UO was at launch, with a new engine and only a few small improvements (The prestige abilities, weapon abilities, and hotbars were not things in UO initially in any form - Click to attack, move, chug potion, cast spell - That was the WHOLE combat loop). That style just doesn't appeal to most players in this day and age. The emphasis isn't on the appearance or UI as much as it is the gameplay, and modern gamers simply won't accept anything that doesn't have both.

If it's not to your modern tastes, that's unfortunate, because the core feels VERY UO to me, my personal issues with scarcity of resources and crafting aside. And I had been playing UO since 1997. I have no doubt they will adapt and grow, just as UO did, with the added benefit of having user run shards that can add their own twist. And keep in mind, this team is much, much smaller than UO's original team. Sure, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of most modern games, but I'll tell you this - They've done more to make a modern UO than UO has.. By a long shot.

bobbymcswansonKyleran
    Coldren said:
    I think a lot of the people decrying this game for not being like UO don't quite remember what UO was like when it first launched..

I do.  A popular gaming magazine (CGW) at the time of UOs launch gave it their "coaster of the year" award.

Not universally well received, thats for sure.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    edited March 2018

Kyleran said:

I do.  A popular gaming magazine (CGW) at the time of UOs launch gave it their "coaster of the year" award.

A shame the game outlasted all of their publications.. Pretty damn good coaster :)

Scot
    Coldren said:

Kyleran said:

A shame the game outlasted all of their publications.. Pretty damn good coaster :)

Yeah,  they had some weird hatred of every MMORPG until City of Heroes launched, which was the first one they broadly supported. 

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Kyleran said:
    Coldren said:

I recall CGW or PCG giving the same to SWG in the coming years.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    This game needs at least another year in development.  I get the throwback schtick from a gameplay perspective but it's just pathetic what they've put out so far. 
  • couponforkcouponfork Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Pretty sure Legends of Ultima will probably remain superior for the entire duration of the game. Shame they won't let community servers use custom assets yet, seems like the community server developers are more competent than CS actually is.

Definitely enjoying Legends of Ultima though, excited for it to come back up in the next few days. Currently can't try these new "optimizations" on the main server because it is impossible to actually create a new character or log in with any existing ones.
  • Dave75Dave75 Member CommonPosts: 2
    Probably the worst beta I've ever played. Still more like an alpha game than anything else.
    1. Game performance. Even with a pretty heavy rig (i7 8770K, 1070), my GPU is burning like I'm mining coins ... for a game with graphics feeling like it's 2000 and creepy random lags. Or is that they are having us download a debug version of the exe?
    2. Reds players (PKers, griefers, however you want to call them) camping, chasing and killing people when least expected (e.g. while trying to kill monsters, skill upgrade, in dungeons, etc) making it difficult to improve your own skills since higher levels areas (incl. outposts) become pretty much no-go zones (and no or little in-game system to protect friendly players)
    3. Major changes during beta. Not even mentioning the unbalanced characters (which Red players are taking advantage of), the whole crafting system was modified recently and not even complete (felling more like a rush release for PAX). The game has been in dev for years, and doesn't seem to improve much where it matters.
    4. Pretty much no story lines and plots. A few have just been introduced recently. (this explains why Reds are popping up ... what do you do once you've done full circle on what the game can offer?)
    I'm not sure how they are able to maintain funding from investors.
    Plus, not sure keeping a beta running that long for players to play is the best strategy, with a full reset planned at release ... this will turn down many of us having spent money and time to get this game up to speed and better and get some chars to a playable level, esp. if things don't get much better by then.
    Anyhow ... it's a shame .. I really expected much of it, esp. the creation tool which I was missing since NWN (and still haven't been able to try since it's not released in beta yet).
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited April 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Coldren said:

Kyleran said:

Yeah,  they had some weird hatred of every MMORPG until City of Heroes launched, which was the first one they broadly supported. 
    Back in the day there was a lot of mixed feelings about MMOs from gaming magazine reviewers, most were solo gamers who's only multiplayer was the obligatory shooter.

As the popularity or MMOs increased they started feature them more, but the big change in coverage occurred as MMOs became made more for people like them...solo gamers.