Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO to play?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
if :
a) you loose interest in an MMO as soon as you have played trough all the content
b) think epic storie is the most important ingredient of an MMO
c) you loose interest in a class, when you no longer get any new abilities or talents

and you like :
- a good community
- a large world challenging for exploration
- instant easy accesible PvP 
- dungeon finder and other features for group content
- typical traditional fantasy worlds.

what MMO would you advise me to play?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    WoW
    Truvidien88Allerleirauh
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Try the new Rift server when it releases.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Asheram said:
    WoW
    I have almost all classes at 110...  
    i think a, b and c have lost there appetite for me till the next expansiom

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TheICETheICE Member UncommonPosts: 120
    FF14 is best choice
    anemo
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Every suggestion above has been worth a look, I would add Lotro and ESO.

Some of those conditions happen to us all and you either deal with them or you leave the MMO. MMOs only do a limited about of end game, so you need to think about what you will be doing once you reach that point.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2018
    If your thinking Wow,then FFXIV is a miles better choice.
    ME i can't tell anyone what to play because i don't know you,i only know what games do the same thing and are better at it.
    Then if you are a true pvp artisan,mmorpg's are NOT the place for that.
    There are too many factors involved ,depending if you are truly looking for a game or just a hand holding linear questing xp on rails.

Of the common shallow game designs,i easily choose EQ2 because it looks better, has mercs,housing and tons of stuff to do,tons of stuff to collect and several mounts to choose from.Huge world,like very big.

There is of course negatives in EVERY game,there is no 8/10 or 9/10,unless you go to Gamespace of course then everything is a 9 or 10/10.

The often mention game play>graphics is a laughable excuse to be honest because 99% of the game all play exactly the same.So then we can talk about mild differences or additions to game play,like  is it group focused or solo focused ,fake and spammy or realistic looking,animations good or bad or in between.

Like  i said i weigh in ALL factors and choose myself EQ2 or having played years of FFXI ,a truly different game.There is only after 20 years,imo only about 7 mmorpg's worth playing,the rest are all real cheap,not worth wasting your time.
    Lord.BachusHluill

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    edited March 2018
    I would say Vanilla WoW.

But hey - we are all in same bag mate. Maybe something will come ... but probably not - at least not for 5-6 years for now.

Im playing Life is Feudal right now. Under radar, real good MMO that is just starting and promises lot of guild & pvp drama.

Crowfall - hopefully it will be good, or we are bust.

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I would say Vanilla WoW.

But hey - we are all in same bag mate. Maybe something will come ... but probably not - at least not for 5-6 years for now.

Im playing Life is Feudal right now. Under radar, real good MMO that is just starting and promises lot of guild & pvp drama.

I'm hoping Crowfall does well. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I would say Vanilla WoW.

Interesting, first post I've seen mention LiF w/o a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Even uses the words "real good."

Weird. 

;)
    Asheram

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    i play black desert online sea server.. casually.. its fun..and sometimes i log to gw2
  • Pr3sid3ntSkr00bPr3sid3ntSkr00b Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Sounds like GW2 would be a good fit.  Maybe...
    Daikuru
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    if :
    a) you loose interest in an MMO as soon as you have played trough all the content
    c) you loose interest in a class, when you no longer get any new abilities or talents

and you like :
    - a good community

Hands Down... GW2 is your best bet.

With 2 expansions, and several living Word packs.. this game delivers all you are asking for.. and more.. 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    if :

and you like :
    - a good community

Hands Down... GW2 is your best bet.

With 2 expansions, and several living Word packs.. this game delivers all you are asking for.. and more.. 
    point C applies to my GW2 experience
    altough i definately love the game.
    i keep returning to it with every new living story chapter.

There is 3  MMO’s i regularly play...

WoW, GW2, LOTRO... that all somewhat quallify
    WoW really made a step forward for me with legion
    LOTRO is my epic story love..

currently made a re-entry in ESO and FF14, trying to figure out which suits best..
    I think i like the way story is told better in ff14
    altough charcter depth in eso surpasses any other MMO.
    FF14, multiclassing, does not feel like multiclassing, its more like leveling several characters inside one.
    with all the job imteraction removed from ff14, its a potential game killer (c) for me.

Back to ESO, i still don’t know if i will ever like the combat in ESO
    what i miss is interaction/syncing betweem skills..

Surprisingly, the combat in ff14 does not feel that slow anymore, now i got deeper into the game.

i was hoping someone would suggest. Jewel of a game, i must have missed.
    seems however that my choices are running thin.
    Hluill

• silver0708silver0708 Member CommonPosts: 1
    I loved GW2.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Darkfall New Dawn has just released... has all of the things that you had mentioned although it will take some practice until you are ready for PVP probably. It will probably take you several months to unlock all of the skills available at least... but a month is enough time to get a good character started.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• ChrysaorChrysaor Member UncommonPosts: 111
    edited March 2018
    Give Final Fantasy XIV a try.  It is a quality MMO.  Crafting, combat, storyline, and incredible music.  So much to do in the game you should never get bored.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Does FFXIV actually get better? When I tried it the game was about as bad on rails as any I had seen.....Is it still "you cant go here because you dont have a quest here", etc?...I like a game with a little freedom where you can run around and explore a bit and that game did not seem to be that.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    The choices these days are not that great.

GW2 off-meta Elementalist can be incredibly fun to play. You have 25+ skills that synchronise together. Once you start thinking about Raids though, people expect a meta build, which gets quite boring (spamming the same rotation over and over again).

ESO combat for me felt quite boring overall. It does not have the rewarding moments where you execute a perfect chain of skills. The story was quite nice though - it was a good casual experience. The PvP sieges are also pretty interesting.

Everquest 2 sounds like a good match. I recall you played it a long time ago, right? The community is probably quite dead today unfortunately.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Most MMORPGs are:

1.  Old:  They've been on the market for years, and if you were interested in them, you'd have played them by now - especially as many have gone B2P/F2P.

2.  Dead:  The player bases are so small, that the viability of the game is questionable.  You'd probably missed your chance to play the game at its peak, and its unlikely that it will ever get there.  Maintaining Guilds/Clans in these games is also difficult, as players are more likely to leave the game than join the game.

3.  Niche:  They cater to specific types of players, specific demographics, or are esoteric in design.  Some may have lackluster PvP, or PvE, or be heavily story-driven, or be heavily "life skill driven."

For most people, I think if they have to ask "Which game should I play?" it signals that they have seen many choices and haven't seen anything that really suits them.  Internet approval of one game or another won't change that.  YOU still have to play it, and YOU still have to like it in order to drive yourself to continue playing it after trying it.
    AllerleirauhHluill
    Darksworm said:
    Most MMORPGs are:

1.  Old:  They've been on the market for years, and if you were interested in them, you'd have played them by now - especially as many have gone B2P/F2P.

2.  Dead:  The player bases are so small, that the viability of the game is questionable.  You'd probably missed your chance to play the game at its peak, and its unlikely that it will ever get there.  Maintaining Guilds/Clans in these games is also difficult, as players are more likely to leave the game than join the game.

3.  Niche:  They cater to specific types of players, specific demographics, or are esoteric in design.  Some may have lackluster PvP, or PvE, or be heavily story-driven, or be heavily "life skill driven."

For most people, I think if they have to ask "Which game should I play?" it signals that they have seen many choices and haven't seen anything that really suits them.  Internet approval of one game or another won't change that.  YOU still have to play it, and YOU still have to like it in order to drive yourself to continue playing it after trying it.
    Maybe you should put off your sunglasses so you can see the sun again, i think your post sparkles with negativity.   Why even botter to post on mmorpg.com if you obviously don’t like mmo’s anymore?

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    If you can live without the last three items, Secret World. No better stories anywhere.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    If you can live without the last three items, Secret World. No better stories anywhere.
    Not really

its not a traditional fantasy MMo, which is kinda a must for me...
    and it has by far the worst combat of all AAA MMOrpgs

• HystericHysteric Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Eve Online
    I decided on rejoining ESO
    i bought morrowimd for €20
    and bought 2 DLCs for pretty cheap.

so far i am really enjoying the new morrowind stories
    and even combat seems to have improved considerably

Hluill