Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Doesn't it bother you?

124»

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,866
    Well for me, it works.

Now I am not going to say it's perfect, or great story telling, but it explains why I am off trying to save the world as opposed to opening a fabric store and selling my wife's special marmalade, its got whisky in it, which makes it special.

So, the ideas is that I am -A- previously legendary hero.

In modern Terms, it would be akin to being a Medal of Honor recipient, or being a war hero. Sure there are others out there, and all of us are special.
  • Pr3sid3ntSkr00bPr3sid3ntSkr00b Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I think FFXIV did it well. I prefer the Elder Scrolls(single player) way of doing it. Or Metroid...like I had all this stuff n was awesome but now I gotta got get it. 
    Torval
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,202
    Haplos said:
    IMO they are just setting the focus of the game......we all start from nothing and strive to be a hero.  They aren't gonna check to see if we make it :).  If it's troublesome, just ignore it maybe

If it was just starting lore then I could ignore.  But this sounds more like something you build off of when designing future lore.
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 951
     Personally i hate the "your the chosen one" stories in MMOs. FFXIV does it imo in the worst way and pushes it heavy in the story that you and you alone are the hero of heroes...but so arent the other thousands standing next to you. Those stories are fine in a solo RPGs, but not MMOs. It forces a story onto your character when its your own made up avatar. It bugged me when my character is supposed to be this storys magical hero but does things i would not have done (or lack in action when they should have).

Oddly enough i think FFXI did it well enough were you are an adventurer helping out the heroes in their stories, you are a part of that story but not showed as the main character. Being one of many in a world of many other players just fits better.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,413

It bother's me, but not enough to care.  Unfortunately it's become so much the norm that I just expect it to be the case and ignore.

Generally speaking I don't play MMO's for the story (that's what single player games and books are for).  That being said one of the things I loved about EQ was that they didn't pull that shit. Just like most of my favorite fantasy novels are the ones where the main character starts out as a schmuck, or a stable hand, or some such thing and turns themselves into a badass.

Kiori001

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche