Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom Reveals Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - A Tactical Adventure Game - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Some people like their combat but for me it has always been one of their week points, I hope the combat is much improved over what they've done in the past. Like the general idea of the game though.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Sovrath said:

This looks cool but am I the only person bothered by the duck? I'm going to say yes.
    Looks like they took inspiration from Howard the Duck and Beyond Good & Evil.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:

Nasa said:

turn based has its fans, but it is not for me.

Turn based games - it's a dwindling playerbase in the last 5 years - many people will say they like turn based - but in reality very few actually play turn based games.

I am in that dwindling group that actually enjoys turn based games and plays them, but it's a small group.

Still making a turn based game today - it's just not going to be big seller, Funcom hopefully has done their market research and knows this.
    I  did not realize anyone had created a turn based game in the past 5 years, can you share the name of your favorites, I might want to try one.  (Being old and slow) :)
    Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 coming soon, Tides of Numenera, Wasteland 2, Tyrany, Xcom 2... lots of them.

If you want to try just one I'd recommend D:OS 2. It's the best of the bunch.
    Whoops again, I own a few more of those,  and even played a few. (POE1 and Wasteland 2)

I have D:OS1, but not 2 yet.

Dammit, I need more free time to game.

Is it true older people don't need to sleep all that much? ;)
    Not if they have developed a healthy cocaine habit. 
    AsheramKyleran[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I am having trouble visualizing what type of game this is? 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Amathe said:
    Fallout 2 / Wasteland 2 postapocalypic round based game with an RPG background

Mutants and gene-engineered intelligent animals battle against Zone-ghouls and ancient robots.

In the ARK settlement they sell their loot, swap tales with other zone explorers and recruit new talent. Because everyone of those cursed souls hopes to find "Eden", the undamaged remains of civilization in this wasteland wasted by war, nuclear winter and disease.

Because "The Rot" and mutations will get to you eventually.

Have fun

[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited February 2018
    OK, first character prediction on the nail:

Bormin: Is a strong, loyal type; maybe human like, rather than human. He is a gruff no-nonsense sort.

We have not seen enough of the others to tell if I got them right. (cough)

Seriously, some dialogue would be an awful help, otherwise how can we be sure Dux does not say indubitably a lot. :)
    Asheram
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    I suck at these kinds of games. I'll still try it, but I'll suck at it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Erillion said:
    Amathe said:
    Fallout 2 / Wasteland 2 postapocalypic round based game with an RPG background

Mutants and gene-engineered intelligent animals battle against Zone-ghouls and ancient robots.

In the ARK settlement they sell their loot, swap tales with other zone explorers and recruit new talent. Because everyone of those cursed souls hopes to find "Eden", the undamaged remains of civilization in this wasteland wasted by war, nuclear winter and disease.

Because "The Rot" and mutations will get to you eventually.

Have fun

Does seem to be very much a Wasteland or Fallout style game, with perhaps a spot more ironic humor.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:

Nasa said:

Turn based games - it's a dwindling playerbase in the last 5 years - many people will say they like turn based - but in reality very few actually play turn based games.

I am in that dwindling group that actually enjoys turn based games and plays them, but it's a small group.

Still making a turn based game today - it's just not going to be big seller, Funcom hopefully has done their market research and knows this.
    I  did not realize anyone had created a turn based game in the past 5 years, can you share the name of your favorites, I might want to try one.  (Being old and slow) :)
    Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 coming soon, Tides of Numenera, Wasteland 2, Tyrany, Xcom 2... lots of them.

If you want to try just one I'd recommend D:OS 2. It's the best of the bunch.
    Whoops again, I own a few more of those,  and even played a few. (POE1 and Wasteland 2)

I have D:OS1, but not 2 yet.

Dammit, I need more free time to game.

Is it true older people don't need to sleep all that much? ;)
    Some of those are actually real-time and not turn-based. Not trying to be pedantic but for strategy, sim, 4X players those are important differentiations, like mulitplayer and massively multiplayer is to MMO players.

Divnity and Pillars are real-time, for example. Turn based is XCOM.

Turn-based: The combat timer is paused until you click go on all your moves and signal your end of turn.

Real-time: There is no pausing the game timer (sometimes not even pausing to system screen) while making combat choices and decisions. The enemy makes moves and decisions at the same time you do. Real-time can have pause (Pillars, D:OS, Baldur's Gate) or not (Spellforce 3, Wartile).

Most all those games are tactical squad based though. You have multiple characters as opposed to just one main person. Tactical is more ambiguous but usually denotes a relevance to cover, positioning, or attack/skill/weapon based strengths and weakness versus an enemy's stats/resistance/armour/etc.
    D:OS plays exactly like XCOM in combat: each character and NPC has an initiative rating and that determines who goes first, second, etc. and then that character takes it's full turn before the next one does.

They move in real time when they're out of combat but as soon as combat starts it is 100% turn based.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Meat_AxeMeat_Axe Member UncommonPosts: 3
    What's not mentioned here is that Funcom is only the publisher - something they confirmed over on Steam earlier. The dev group is the Bearded Ladies. Twitter here: https://twitter.com/TheBeardedLC - looks like they've mostly done console work in the past. Going off comments posted and the acquisition of the Mutant IP among others (May 2015 reported) and they could've been working on this for roughly the last 2 1/2 years or since late (Sep) 2015. They don't say when its coming out but this could've been cooking longer than some think.
    [Deleted User]infomatz
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    edited March 2018
    DMKano said:

Nasa said:

to be fair most turn based games in the last 5 years haven't been too good for a variety of reasons. buggy messes, unrealistic rng, civ clones, etc
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Funny how everyone overlooked this little part in the article:

"The game is in development by former members of the Hitman team and Ulf Andersson, the original designer behind Payday."
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Voidfarer said:

Wizardry said:

So to make a game this fast,it has to be lacking content.If is as cool as the cinematic then could have some fun value,we will have to wait and see but seeing a fast development tells me not to expect too much.
    Post Apoc vibe does little for me because it always means a lifeless less effort world.Although in this case we see some hint of maybe zombies "oh boy lol"and robots.

Bethesda never release info on their own games until near release! Do you think their games like Elder scrolls and Fallout are lacking in content??

You're asking that to a person who hates gaming. I'm sure he'll rebuttal with some long winded nonsense. At least it's usually good for a laugh.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    JeroKane said:

"The game is in development by former members of the Hitman team and Ulf Andersson, the original designer behind Payday."
    Why do you think "everyone " overlooked this ?

Have fun
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Erillion said:
    JeroKane said:

Why do you think "everyone " overlooked this ?

Have fun
    Or that those people are not current or former Funcom employees?

I don't keep track of who makes what. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Looking forward to this definitely.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Funcom  has a terrible reputation when it comes to there games and folks should be careful of all of them new and old.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited March 2018
    Elsabolts said:
    Funcom  has a terrible reputation when it comes to there games and folks should be careful of all of them new and old.
    Thing is they have made some of the best games I love like Anarchy Online and The Secret World. Yes they can be buggy like Anarchy was but it was a brilliant game. Age of Conan had some of the most interesting classes I ever tried and Anarchy had very imaginative ideas like the way skills worked in the game and although missions got repetitive because of the layout that was another different approach to questing and rewards. The classes in Anarchy were very varied and when you played in a group it was interesting to watch what others could do.

They are publishers here though so your warning might be jumping the gun.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

• Meat_AxeMeat_Axe Member UncommonPosts: 3

JeroKane said:

As I pointed out abt 7 hours earlier the group is known as the Bearded Ladies..

Some still keep missing the mark that Funcom is only the publisher here...so I'd stop comparing them to Funcom's in-house made products, unless they loan staff over to the dev team (or take it over completely). That's like giving Paradox the credit/blame for Obsidian's Pillars o'Eternity game...other than publishing they had no hand in the actual development.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited March 2018
    So a TMNT After the Bomb ripoff. Interesting. Hope Funcom finds it's footing with all this genre jumping. Always hope that some day they come around to mmorpgs again.

You stay sassy!

• corvascorvas Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Too bad its Turn based and Singleplayer only, hoped it was a real kind of MMO