Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom Reveals Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - A Tactical Adventure Game - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageFuncom Reveals Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - A Tactical Adventure Game - MMORPG.com News

Late last week, Funcom began a countdown to reveal a brand new game in the company's stable. Now we know that it is Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, a tactical adventure game that comes complete with "a deep storyline set on a post-human Earth". It will combine strategy and turn-based combat most recently seen in XCOM along with "real-time exploration and stealth gameplay". The game is in development by former members of the Hitman team and Ulf Andersson, the original designer behind Payday.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Cool beans. Wonder if there's small group co-op?
    MrMelGibsonSinsai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    Looks nice!
    ValdheimMrMelGibson

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    Looks good to me, I love the XCOM games so having that level of character customisation and tactical combat, but with awesome post-apoc mutants sounds awesome!

Hopefully the game can be played single player
    psychosiz1Lazarus71wandericaValdheimMrMelGibsonTacticalZombeh
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Cool. I love this type of game play.
    SBFordValdheim
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RevereanReverean Member CommonPosts: 5
    Played the actual RPG, pretty nifty, this seems to be set post-Genlab Alpha, but following the Year Zero plot. Nice. Good choice. Should've included Mechatron too...
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Funcom should just make cgi movies. That’s their true calling.
    Octagon7711Valdheim
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    edited February 2018
    turn based has its fans, but it is not for me.
    Alomar
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    Looking forward to that.

I hope we can also choose ARK projects like in the RPG, to improve our base. In the RPG I am a "Fixer" named Gordon Gekko - trying to build many houses in the ARK, so we can have a "Wall Street" ;-)

This new game reminds me a bit of Jagged Alliance. More focussed on a few specific characters.

Have fun

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    Indeed it looks nice. I love the post-apocalyptic vibe.

However, the trailer was awesome, up until the end. I mean, you would expect a hella lot of fight, but then .. they came from behind and .. fin !

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• GrintchGrintch Member UncommonPosts: 132
    I'd rather it was Anarchy Online 2.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Yes exactly what I asked for . Sign me up.
    MrMelGibson
    Chamber of Chains
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    So to make a game this fast,it has to be lacking content.If is as cool as the cinematic then could have some fun value,we will have to wait and see but seeing a fast development tells me not to expect too much.
    Post Apoc vibe does little for me because it always means a lifeless less effort world.Although in this case we see some hint of maybe zombies "oh boy lol"and robots.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    My lord,looking over those screenshots,now it's coming together,it looks horrible,it looks EXACTLY like Trion's Atlas Reactor but with a twist.It will have a small mini map zone laid out for the turn based and tactical is going to be like Atlas,this will be a no go for me,wasn't into AR at al and won't be into the same with a twist either.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178

Wizardry said:

So to make a game this fast,it has to be lacking content.If is as cool as the cinematic then could have some fun value,we will have to wait and see but seeing a fast development tells me not to expect too much.
    Post Apoc vibe does little for me because it always means a lifeless less effort world.Although in this case we see some hint of maybe zombies "oh boy lol"and robots.

Bethesda never release info on their own games until near release! Do you think their games like Elder scrolls and Fallout are lacking in content??
    JeroKane
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    DMKano said:

Nasa said:

Turn based games - it's a dwindling playerbase in the last 5 years - many people will say they like turn based - but in reality very few actually play turn based games.

I am in that dwindling group that actually enjoys turn based games and plays them, but it's a small group.

Still making a turn based game today - it's just not going to be big seller, Funcom hopefully has done their market research and knows this.
    I  did not realize anyone had created a turn based game in the past 5 years, can you share the name of your favorites, I might want to try one.  (Being old and slow) :)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

DMKano said:

Nasa said:

Turn based games - it's a dwindling playerbase in the last 5 years - many people will say they like turn based - but in reality very few actually play turn based games.

I am in that dwindling group that actually enjoys turn based games and plays them, but it's a small group.

Still making a turn based game today - it's just not going to be big seller, Funcom hopefully has done their market research and knows this.

X-Com sells well, as did Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2, Darkest Dungeon, and Civilization. They're all turn based and made in the last 5 years. Like any other type of game, make a good one and people will play/buy it.
    SpottyGekkoAlomarErillionConstantineMerusTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:

Nasa said:

I  did not realize anyone had created a turn based game in the past 5 years, can you share the name of your favorites, I might want to try one.  (Being old and slow) :)
    Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 coming soon, Tides of Numenera, Wasteland 2, Tyrany, Xcom 2... lots of them.

If you want to try just one I'd recommend D:OS 2. It's the best of the bunch.
    ErillionConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    Could potentially include the Civ series and Total War series in the list of turn based games. I guess Total War has real time combat, but a good portion of the game is turn based in terms of long term strategy. 
    Alomar
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited February 2018
    I thought their next game was supposed to be another Conan game.
    Avarix said:

DMKano said:

Nasa said:

X-Com sells well, as did Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2, Darkest Dungeon, and Civilization. They're all turn based and made in the last 5 years. Like any other type of game, make a good one and people will play/buy it.
    Whoops, I owm a few of those,  guess I'd better go try them.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:

Nasa said:

Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 coming soon, Tides of Numenera, Wasteland 2, Tyrany, Xcom 2... lots of them.

If you want to try just one I'd recommend D:OS 2. It's the best of the bunch.
    Whoops again, I own a few more of those,  and even played a few. (POE1 and Wasteland 2)

I have D:OS1, but not 2 yet.

Dammit, I need more free time to game.

Is it true older people don't need to sleep all that much? ;)
    AsheramConstantineMerusinfomatz

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Kyleran said:

Well, if my grandfather was any indication "yes".

Now "me"? given how I'm again I'm going to need more sleep ....

This looks cool but am I the only person bothered by the duck? I'm going to say yes.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Kyleran said:

Depends on whether you count all the unintentional naps or not.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Sovrath said:

Kyleran said:

This looks cool but am I the only person bothered by the duck? I'm going to say yes.

I kinda like the duck....especially if I can change his color to blue maybe?
    infomatz

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Kyleran said:

Sovrath said:

Kyleran said:

I kinda like the duck....especially if I can change his color to blue maybe?
    Well that was random! :o
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo