Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the most disappointing games from your favorite franchises?

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Hashbrick said:
    Shadow Hearts: From the New World

The whole modern world theme just killed it for me, I never was able to finish it or stomach through it.  Series is fantastic up to that point though.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

It just didn't feel like elder scrolls and felt very flat. They had a lot of pressure though to make a masterpiece that could beat the almost perfect Morrowind.

Star Wars: The Old Republic

It should have been my MMO home for a long while, sadly the game just didn't have enough moments to keep me going. The story choices just made me wish I was playing a new KOTOR game instead of the MMO.

Dungeon Siege 3

To go from an ARPG to a third person action was a decision no one wanted.

Sacred 3

WTF!

There's a ton more I'm sure but those are the ones that hurt me the most.

I agree with all of those actually!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    With Oblivion, what I found was that if you cheesed the leveling mechanics it made the game much more enjoyable. So, I would select conjuring, blade and heavy armour and then just spend an hour or two summoning stuff, killing it with a dagger or letting it him me. 

Doing nothing else, you'd hit level 20/25 quickly. That meant everything in the game scaled up, so instead of facing endless hordes of scamps and other crap stuff, you'd be fighting proper daedra from the start, finding daedric armour and glass armour etc. 

I also found that the Dark Brotherhood quest chain was the best out of any of the series. 

Morrowind remains my favourite though :P
    Your doing it wrong. For your seven major skills choose:
    Armorer
    Mercantile
    Speechcraft
    Hand to Hand
    Light Armor
    Heavy Armor
    Acrobatics

Choose skills you use less often or choose skills that advance at a steady pace. This way you don't level too fast and it's easier to train the harder to train skills like Light Armor or Heavy Armor.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    FFXIV,not that it is not as good as pretty much everything out there,it wasn't what i had hoped it would be.They did so much right but RUSHED the game out and i could see it.Lack of voice overs ruins even the greatest art work and movies/cutscenes.The classes were not well thought out and the entire structure felt very handcuffed and ended up being exactly like how they ruined FFXi.

So i was bummed out,they ruined what i thought was going to be my last mmorpg.

Other than that one game,most everything else is what i expected,mostly crap and the odd decent playable game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Shroud of the Avatar.  While not technically an Ultima game...well, you know.
    [Deleted User]
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Three words.  Aliens: Colonial Marines.  Thought it was going to be basically L4D2 (Left for dead 2) in the Aliens universe.  One of the fastest games I uninstalled.  There are more, but I'm tired and don't feel like posting them all. 
    [Deleted User]
    Just about everything since WoW was released in 2004?
    Maybe time for a new hobby?  
    [Deleted User]Dragnelus
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    1) Diablo 3 - this really bummed me out
    2) Star Control 3 - what a dumb idea to let new devs take over simply because they accepted the low budget
    3) Unreal Tournament 2003 - they got rid of my favorite game modes (Assault and Domination)
    4) SWTOR - shallow WOW clone with no space combat
    5) WOW Cataclysm - they made everyone pay for world revamps and gave us less end game content because of it
    6) The Wheel of Time game by Epic - it was so hyped and they gutted so many of the proposed systems
    7) tons of middle earth games - especially the ones based just on the books as those were the cheap licenses for subpar devs (excluding turbine who ruined their game as well though)
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    AlBQuirky said:
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was the "stinker in the series" for me. Arena was a good starting point with Daggerfall making many great improvements. Morrowind topped Daggerfall for me and then Oblivion hit. For the life of me, I just couldn't get into it at all. I tried and tried, too. I waited to buy Skyrim remembering what Oblivion was like. I finally got it and while fun to play, still not what I look for in the Elder Scroll games.

I never played Arena or Daggerfall, but the pattern Bethesda seemed to set with Morrowind -> Oblivion -> Skyrim was that each game got big improvements mechanically, but each game got worse in terms of world building. 

With Oblivion, what I found was that if you cheesed the leveling mechanics it made the game much more enjoyable. So, I would select conjuring, blade and heavy armour and then just spend an hour or two summoning stuff, killing it with a dagger or letting it him me. 

Doing nothing else, you'd hit level 20/25 quickly. That meant everything in the game scaled up, so instead of facing endless hordes of scamps and other crap stuff, you'd be fighting proper daedra from the start, finding daedric armour and glass armour etc. 

I also found that the Dark Brotherhood quest chain was the best out of any of the series. 

What I really disliked about Oblivion was their implementation of "leveled content." I never felt like I was getting better. The encounters leveled up right along with you. On the reverse side, not many areas were "off limits" to a low level character. Morrowind had this to some degree out in the wilderness, but not nearly as awful.

I'm glad you were able to find Oblivion "playable" :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Cleffy said:

Armorer
    Mercantile
    Speechcraft
    Hand to Hand
    Light Armor
    Heavy Armor
    Acrobatics

Choose skills you use less often or choose skills that advance at a steady pace. This way you don't level too fast and it's easier to train the harder to train skills like Light Armor or Heavy Armor.
    Not if their purpose is "to level up" and avoid the "small stuff" :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Star Trek Online; outdated engine, all timelines mixed, lockboxes, shallow endgame, itemization

Neverwinter Online; lockboxes, cashshop, upgrading gear, Astral Diamonds
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    Cleffy said:

Armorer
    Mercantile
    Speechcraft
    Hand to Hand
    Light Armor
    Heavy Armor
    Acrobatics

I think you missed the point. 

The scaling mechanics in Oblivion (and Skyrim) sucked the life out of the games for me. I hated that the game was always so god damn easy. I hated never being able to find good loot. My first playthrough of oblivion I didn't even know that scaling tech was a thing, so I assumed the game was just shit. 

Then a friend informed me of the scaling tech.

So, the point of my suggestion was to level as fast as humanly possible so that all the content scaled up to the point where it becomes interesting. The loot gets much better, the enemies get much more interesting and the difficulty goes up. By only focusing on 3 skills you can retain the sense of progression when you finally start playing the game properly, because all your other skills are crap and require leveling. You also feel a sense of progression from the difficulty, because when you do start playing properly everything is hard but your skills suck, so you see a steady improvement throughout the game. 

Skyrim wasn't as easy to cheese the leveling unfortunately, I found it took too long to reach a significant level. So, I generally resign myself to playing normally and just take the odd 30mins here and there to focus on leveling skills. It usually means the first 10-15 hours of a skyrim playthrough are pretty shit, but after that it starts getting interesting. 
    Ridelynn
  • azonic69azonic69 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Hashbrick said:

The whole modern world theme just killed it for me, I never was able to finish it or stomach through it.  Series is fantastic up to that point though.

It just didn't feel like elder scrolls and felt very flat. They had a lot of pressure though to make a masterpiece that could beat the almost perfect Morrowind.

It should have been my MMO home for a long while, sadly the game just didn't have enough moments to keep me going. The story choices just made me wish I was playing a new KOTOR game instead of the MMO.

Dungeon Siege 3

Sacred 3

WTF!

Dungeon Siege 3, not saying it's a good game but it not a third person action game.
    Still has the isometric view, unless i'm not remembering it right.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited February 2018
    azonic69 said:
    Hashbrick said:

Dungeon Siege 3

Sacred 3

WTF!

Dungeon Siege 3, not saying it's a good game but it not a third person action game.
    If I remember correctly, it was a third person action game of sorts. I actually somewhat enjoyed it for what it was, but I can see why it would get a bad reputation. 
    MrMelGibson
    Aeander said:
    azonic69 said:
    Hashbrick said:

Dungeon Siege 3

Sacred 3

WTF!

If I remember correctly, it was a third person action game of sorts. I actually somewhat enjoyed it for what it was, but I can see why it would get a bad reputation. 
    I own it and enjoyed it for what it was.  Just another decent ARPG.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Dawn of War III
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited February 2018
    I don't really have one. Just a "sorta" one.

Fallout 4

If I go in at it as an RPG, it sucks and is the worst game Bethesda ever made. Its not even an RPG.

If I go at it as an call of duty style shooter played in third person, that is made for stupid people to dumb gamers down with classic CoD style, then its probably one of the better Fallout games. And building settlements is pretty cool and there are some epic mods out for it. And as a FPS game its better than the other Fallouts.

Except I laughed like hell when they literally added a themepark to Fallout 4. Told me everything about what Bethesda intended with the game. A literal themepark. Best slap in the face expansion I ever saw...but it was fun at least lol, I just laughed so much.

But I do like fallout 4 and still play cause the mods are great...but it has the same terrible conversation choices as a typical bioware game lol

MaxBacon

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Dragon Age Inquisition: still a decent game, but nowhere near as good as the first one.

Mass Effect Andromeda: It was just kind of boring.

Final Fantasy 15: truly crap, can't believe they made something that bad.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I may be the one person in all gamedom that thought Civ VI dropped the ball.  I've been playing Civ since the first one (on my old Amiga), and only Civ Windows did less and it was a straight port.  Was there really a need to revamp all the graphics in Civ VI?  Couldn't someone have designed a consistent interface?  How about some way to turn off the insipid leader animations?  Did we need a whole new set of leaders?  Too many questions, and Firaxis is off doing whatever they choose.  (Compare to 'the Vision' from Verant/SOE in the early EQ1 days).

I shouldn't forget STO.  Star Trek hasn't inspired many good games, and STO is pretty weak.  The only thing I found interesting about that game was the crew missions, and that was added somewhere along the way.  Along with a starboard hold filled with loot boxes.  Having the biggest baddies from the many series (Borg) as the opponents in the tutorial left no place to go.  For a Star Trek game, this one missed feeling like Star Trek come to a computer in front of me.

/curmudgeon off.  Well, as far off as I ever get.

psychosiz1

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    In no particular order:

• Assassins Creed - Unity: Since the first AC I'd been longing to roam in the streets of Paris, climb the magnificent historic builds, and French up, ya-know! I waited a good while to get into the game, all the bugs were gone. But what had remained was a mess of a story, the utmost cliches you could find just knitted together by a blind pigeon. The story is direly pointless, to a point where at the end of the game, they literally say it, "there was no point to this mission!"
    • Wolfenstein II - The New Colossus: I've been playing Wolfenstein games since C64, way before Wolfenstein 3D became popular. The IP had sunken into a terrible state by the previous developers, then MachineGames took over and man oh man, New Order was a great game. You had all the right feelings playing the game, the sheer horror, the despair, and being a badass to a believable point (in video-game-standards of course), and the soundtrack, wow. The Nazified Rock music from the 60s, House of the Rising Sun in German was wonderful! But then they created the sequel, which could easily be Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Even the fragments of the old spirit had gone lame, the characters shallow, the story redundant, nothing made any sense anymore. Awful...
    • Dragon Age II: I'm not sure WTF had happened in BioWares office. The game looks like the parody of the origins, an April's fool joke. Open world had turned into a series of closed closets, superb character creator vanished, from the RPG only the G part had remained, and in no way a good one. Pity!
    • Duke Nukem Forever: Obvious reasons. Wait for a game for 13 years then ...!
    • Alone in the Dark: The old was I think the very first survival horror game. Sadly the rebooted game wasn't made for the fans of the original, but more like Resident Evil fans, and not even a good game in that regard. 

Honorable mentions: KOTOR 2, Force Unleashed 2, Resident Evil 6. 
    RidelynnMrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Neverwinter Online... what a joke this game turned out to be......
    MrMelGibsonAlBQuirky

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Mass Effect: Andromeda
    Improved graphics are always welcome but they have to be backed up with gameplay and story. Andromeda did a pretty good job in the gameplay department, the combat and progression were fine but they fell short with the animations, the cut scenes, the facial expressions, the dialogue and the story.
    I really wanted to like Andromeda but I just couldn't. Then there's the elephant in the room. Mass Effect was always about Shepard and it just doesn't work without him/her.

SW:TOR
    Would have been great if it was released as KOTOR 3 but it just wasn't built to be an MMO. Probably the best example of an online single player game I've seen. One of the worst F2P models I've ever seen. Not as good as SWG by any stretch, even if SWG was flawed in many ways.

There are others but I'm just too depressed now.
    AlBQuirky
    BruceYee said:
    Dawn of War III
    I agree.  I couldn't even finish it.  Not that there was something wrong with the game.  I just couldn't enjoy it like I did DoW2 for some reason.
    I don't really have one. Just a "sorta" one.

Fallout 4

If I go in at it as an RPG, it sucks and is the worst game Bethesda ever made. Its not even an RPG.

If I go at it as an call of duty style shooter played in third person, that is made for stupid people to dumb gamers down with classic CoD style, then its probably one of the better Fallout games. And building settlements is pretty cool and there are some epic mods out for it. And as a FPS game its better than the other Fallouts.

Except I laughed like hell when they literally added a themepark to Fallout 4. Told me everything about what Bethesda intended with the game. A literal themepark. Best slap in the face expansion I ever saw...but it was fun at least lol, I just laughed so much.

But I do like fallout 4 and still play cause the mods are great...but it has the same terrible conversation choices as a typical bioware game lol

How is FO4 not an RPG?
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Mass Effect Andromeda, by itself it's not a bad game but could not fill the shoes of the previous three.  They put as little into as they could and milked the theme for all they could.
    I don't know if that was their intent, but it seemed the result.

I can imagine developers working tirelessly to get jump packs right, and finally get a land vehicle that adds to the gameplay, and rightly feeling pretty proud of themselves.

But the promise of a new galaxy and all new concepts and wonders just floundered, IMO... it reminded me of when Star Trek:  Voyager came out.  All these promises of new things in the unexplored delta quadrant.  And it never really happened.  Meanwhile DS9, where everybody is stuck on a space station that never goes anywhere, gave us a spiritual side to the ST universe that we never saw before.

I picked up ME:A after it had its bugs fixed and was a bit cheaper.  It was entertaining, and I don't regret buying it.  But it did feel more like the "pioneer" idea served more as to close the original book and get away from it than it was to open a fresh, new book on the franchise.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Dragon Age:  Inquisition

Funny how I just posted in defense of ME:A which got lambasted, and here I am picking on DA:I which was like, Game of the Century or something.

I avoided buying ME:A at first because of DA:I.  Turns out I did the right thing for the wrong reason, but that's how life goes.

They are similar games, but couldn't be more different in their strong/weak points.  DA:I had some pretty great characters, but IMO the gameplay was TERRIBLE.  Opposite for ME:A.  I suppose they were similar in that the major encounters were repetitive, and their excessive use of "skybeams" which I want banned from movies and video games for as long as possible.

YashaXKyleran