Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESRB to Begin Labeling Games with In-Game Monetization + Provide Parent Information - MMORPG.com Ne

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageESRB to Begin Labeling Games with In-Game Monetization + Provide Parent Information - MMORPG.com News

The ESRB is going to start labeling physical editions of games to include information about any ability for the user to spend real world currency. This will apply to loot boxes, subscriptions, skins, season passes, DLC, soundtrack purchases or even the ability to disable in-game ads. In addition, the ESRB will be launching a new site to better inform parents about loot boxes and other monetization options their children might face.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    LOL does anyone even pay attention to ESRB anymore? Isn't all online content not rated anyway?
    Thunder073infomatz

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited February 2018

Daranar said:

LOL does anyone even pay attention to ESRB anymore? Isn't all online content not rated anyway?

So are you saying you are a parent but you don't look at ratings for movies, music, games but perhaps evaluate them for your kid(s) in some other way?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    The lack of distinction between actual gambling mechanics (ie lootboxes) and season passes/dlc will make this a useless gesture. 

The option to buy things isn't the issue. Most games have additional content for purchase. The issue is that lootboxes utilize the same mental manipulations as actual gambling without the regulations or age restriction that comes with such.

This is nothing more than a meaningless, slimy attempt by the ESA/ESRB to do as little as possible to impact the profits made off the back of lootboxes while getting governments off their backs.
    GdemamiBestinnacatofmanyTacticalZombeh
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Aeander said:
    The lack of distinction between actual gambling mechanics (ie lootboxes) and season passes/dlc will make this a useless gesture. 

The option to buy things isn't the issue. Most games have additional content for purchase. The issue is that lootboxes utilize the same mental manipulations as actual gambling without the regulations or age restriction that comes with such.

This is nothing more than a meaningless, slimy attempt by the ESA/ESRB to do as little as possible to impact the profits made off the back of lootboxes while getting governments off their backs.
    Think you're ignoring the fact that right now, there is no information period on the physical boxes of games if there's lootboxes and etc in the game. If the ESRB was simply to put a letter rating if it had any in-game purchase no matter what they were, you'd be correct that it would be a useless gesture.

If they put that it had Lootboxes and cosmetics to buy, or Subscription+soundtrack on the back, then that helps a person make a slightly more informed decision on the game and is far from being a meaningless gesture.

Parents might see lootboxes on the back and go, wait....im already spending 60 for this game, and knowing my kid, they're gonna hound me for more cash because of these lootboxes? nah, hello kitty 3: mr bones wild ride it is, at least that one doesn't have any extra purchases.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    The ESRB had to do something after the terrible job their lobbyist did during the session in Hawaii.

It's a step in the right direction but not nearly enough.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Token optics so whatever.

A step up from this in meaning would be having different types of monetization influence the ratings like slapping an "A" on games with loot boxes and an "M" on anything with other MTs.
    GdemamiSandmanjw
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This does literally NOTHING.They highly regulate online gambling but are letting it slide in games and just sticking a label on the game..lol sad.
    Does anyone think a label is going to make a developer think twice,not a chance,carry on per usual.Good job ESRB i am sure tax payers dollars well spent,every 10 years maybe do a review and maybe add one more label lol.
    BananaSoup

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    This does literally NOTHING.They highly regulate online gambling but are letting it slide in games and just sticking a label on the game..lol sad.
    Does anyone think a label is going to make a developer think twice,not a chance,carry on per usual.Good job ESRB i am sure tax payers dollars well spent,every 10 years maybe do a review and maybe add one more label lol.
    You're correct except for one thing. The ESRB is not taxpayer funded. It's not even a government agency. It's staffed and funded by games industry representatives and is meant to rate the industry so that the government will have no need to step in and apply harsher regulations.
    [Deleted User]AlomarKyleraninfomatzaleos
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    The info will have to be vague since the companies often change their monetization. If they go from a sub plan listed on the box to loot box cash shop, there could be issues so most likely we will see something like "There may or may not be additional charges in game." One statement to blanket everything.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Better than nothing. Parents who actually read what they're buying for their kids can use this to make informed choices.
    Kyleran

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    The label will read:

WARNING! If you give your child your credit card number, YOU WILL GO BROKE!!

You stay sassy!

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    edited February 2018
    I agree with it being a step in the right direction, although I don't really believe loot boxes are the problem people make them out to be. At least not for all the pseudo altruistic reasons people claim.

The "problem" will still remain though. This only covers physical copies. Of which roughly no DLC (by definition), expansions, loot boxes themselves, or now roughly only 20% of all game sales total are. On top of that, of the most egregious offenders, how many free-to-play MMOs, MOBAs, or other box heavy games even offer a physical copy to being with?

Just stick a link on the sale page with odds on it. That puts it in the realm of baseball cards with inserts, which nobody ever had an issue with for generations now. If you don't look at the odds too bad, they were there. If you do look then you are making a conscious purchase knowing that you probably won't get what you want. Without odds you are purchasing on simple blind hope.

Otherwise, just get rid of lootboxes. We can go back to, on average, more expensive DLC and expansions, with the only way to get any of those awesome costumes or cash shop items would be to pay the 30+ bucks to get it directly. Then people can complain about the high cost of cash shop items again. Then publishers can try to figure out some way to make those things available for a lower price at some kind of odds...
    [Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited February 2018
    DMKano said:
    Physical editions of games - lol 

Vast majority are 100% digital sales only

I cant remember the last time I bought a physical box for a game.... they still do that?
    I remember a time when digital sales started taking off as the new norm and people complained about not being able to buy a box for a game (certain expansions ect).

Honestly I haven't even considered buying an actual boxed pc title from a store as of recently. I might if it includes a physical collectible i want. Last game I purchased a physical copy of was Simcity (2013)  and only because it was on sale cheaper at Target then through Origin.
    [Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    For PC games I usually get digital unless for some reason the physical is cheaper. That tends to happen when it has been out a while.

Console games I almost always get physical since I get 20% off and can always sell them back if I wanted to. I don't sell back often though. The games I get on day 1 releases tend to be the ones I really wanted and almost always love, and the rest I wait until they're so cheap that there is no resale value heh.
    I typically order physical for console games, as my Best Buy gamersclub discount is a pretty solid price reduction. 
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited February 2018
    I hate physical copies of games. 

Not only do the boxes take up too much room and so much clutter...

I usually ended up spending hours trying to find cdkeys if the game was really old and I misplaced it (usually in moving time and things thrown in boxes)

And the disks would sometimes get scratched and be unusable, even if kept "safe" in those cd holder things that you put a bunch of cds in, made of leather or whatever it was.

As soon as steam launched, I threw out all my game boxes and disks into the trash to never bother with them again. I'm only 100% digital in regards to gaming, so much easier. And I don't have to worry about a bunch of trash game boxes cluttering my room.

And I never need to rage when I can't find a cd key...or...the cd key stops working for some reason cause some pirate stole it, that happened a few times. That pissed me off so much...digital is the only way to go
    [Deleted User]MaxBacon

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited February 2018
    This is the ESRB's attempt to avoid government stepping in while doing as little as possible.

Anyone who expected a different response from the ESRB at this point hasn't been paying attention.
    AeanderIselinCoolitTacticalZombeh

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    ESRB does rate online games, for the content of the game itself, IE: it notes if the game contains alcohol, smoking, adult images, etc. It does not cover the actions of other players however.
    [Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Sephiroso said:
    Aeander said:

Think you're ignoring the fact that right now, there is no information period on the physical boxes of games if there's lootboxes and etc in the game. If the ESRB was simply to put a letter rating if it had any in-game purchase no matter what they were, you'd be correct that it would be a useless gesture.

If they put that it had Lootboxes and cosmetics to buy, or Subscription+soundtrack on the back, then that helps a person make a slightly more informed decision on the game and is far from being a meaningless gesture.

Parents might see lootboxes on the back and go, wait....im already spending 60 for this game, and knowing my kid, they're gonna hound me for more cash because of these lootboxes? nah, hello kitty 3: mr bones wild ride it is, at least that one doesn't have any extra purchases.
    I didn't say that it wasn't a step in the right direction. It's the smallest of baby steps. It's not even the bare minimum. 

The proposed label by the ESRB will put every type of transaction under a blanket "in game purchases" label while failing to give lootboxes a higher rating. It would effectively lump nearly every game together, placing The Witcher 3 alongside SW:BFII on the same level. 

Moreover, even if it does specificially mention lootboxes on the label, that gesture is going to have little impact in itself if it does not effect the age rating of the game in such a way that actually grabs parent's attention. A T or E rating is not going to draw parent attention. Even M ratings tend to go overlooked these days, let alone the criteria by which the game is rated as such. 

So, I repeat myself. This is a tiny, tiny step by the ESRB to attempt to get the government off of their backs while doing as little as humanly possible to fix the situation. But don't take my word for it. Here's Jim putting it more eloquently than I ever could, mere hours after I gave my 2 cents on the subject. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRJ9sJLfKU8

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited February 2018
    I assume this will be used more in the console game market, which the local EB, Target, & Wamart still appear to make money on.

Funny story, went to 3 stores to buy PS4 version of Hellblade Senuas Sacrifice for my sons birthday and after multiple puzzled "Never heard of its" I realized it was online only and bought it on Prime.

Who knew? Console games come on cartridges, at least in my world.

Newfangled distribution channels.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    I assume this will be used more in the console game market, which the local EB, Target, & Wamart still appear to make money on.

Funny story, went to 3 stores to buy PS4 version of Hellblade Senuas Sacrifice for my sons birthday and after multiple puzzled "Never heard of its" I realized it was online only and bought it on Prime.

Who knew? Console games come on cartridges, at least in my world.

Newfangled distribution channels.

;)
    You know you can buy digitally right from the PlayStation store on your browser or in the PS4 itself. Hellblade is on sale cheaper on the PS store right now. Maybe you can get Amazon to match that. https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP3064-CUSA07511_00-HELLB2017NT002EN

That's if you care about the $3 or $4 difference. It's not that much.
    Who knew? Unfortunately this all happened back in November, but good to know for next time.
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    It's too little. There should be also some kind of written warning about the type of content sold, like:
     -Permanent content unlocks
     -Subscription
     -Non-permanent content unlocks (other than subscription)
     -In-game items, services or currency
     -Loot boxes or other random purchases

And the store type should also affect age recommendations. I think that permanent unlocks and a single subscription giving access to everything should have no effect on the recommendation, cash shop should make it 12+, loot boxes and random purchases should make the game 16+.
    CoolitMadFrenchie

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    Physical copies... do those even exist anymore? That's like saying you are going to put explicit lyrics stickers on every 8 track copy of Snoop Dogg's next album.
    BruceYee