Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many people are really going to play this game?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Albatroes said:
    genaknosc said:
    Ungood said:
    genaknosc said:
    Believe it or not, I will totally play this game if it comes out within 70% of what they describe. I just have no faith it will be launched, and wish some other more competent and experienced people had come up with the idea.
    I am sure many other people came up with a similar idea.. but.. this is the person that had the balls to try and pull it off.
    Or the lack of mental competency to realize they couldn't do it. Not sure I would conflate that with "having balls".

In the end, if it falls flat on its face, what do we get? In actuality another serious blow to the legitimacy of crowdsourcing and even less faith from publishers or consumers that large scale MMO's are possible or desirable in this timeframe.

I'd rather the people trying to *spearhead* MMO dev projects be people who have experience. A la, Mark Jacobs, J Todd Gordon, etc. Maybe some of their team members will start up an MMO in a few years.

Who is Jeremy Walsh? And why does he call himself Caspian?
    The other major looming thing too is, lets pretend they do get something to actually launch. How does it realistically sustain itself while also producing something new in a realistic timeframe, say 6 months to a year? The whole thing lacks any real forethought especially since they are having a hard time to raise enough funds to even start working on SOMETHING. Dreams are fine to have, but as was mentioned earlier, sometimes things remain dreams because they simply cannot conform to reality's standards.
    After CoE launches there is no intent to create new content in the sense of DLC like other MMOs. Rather new content will be dependent on what and how fast the players are researching and experimenting in the creation of items of their desired products. For example, if several players are researching building Ships, the game engine will track their process/desire and SBS will gradually implement the tools/mechanics the players need to eventually be successful in building seaworthy Ships. 
    Awesome,  I'm going to research "Star Destroyers."  Fear the horde!

;)
    mystichazedaarco

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Kyleran said:
    Albatroes said:
    genaknosc said:
    Ungood said:
    genaknosc said:
    Believe it or not, I will totally play this game if it comes out within 70% of what they describe. I just have no faith it will be launched, and wish some other more competent and experienced people had come up with the idea.
    I am sure many other people came up with a similar idea.. but.. this is the person that had the balls to try and pull it off.
    Or the lack of mental competency to realize they couldn't do it. Not sure I would conflate that with "having balls".

In the end, if it falls flat on its face, what do we get? In actuality another serious blow to the legitimacy of crowdsourcing and even less faith from publishers or consumers that large scale MMO's are possible or desirable in this timeframe.

I'd rather the people trying to *spearhead* MMO dev projects be people who have experience. A la, Mark Jacobs, J Todd Gordon, etc. Maybe some of their team members will start up an MMO in a few years.

Who is Jeremy Walsh? And why does he call himself Caspian?
    The other major looming thing too is, lets pretend they do get something to actually launch. How does it realistically sustain itself while also producing something new in a realistic timeframe, say 6 months to a year? The whole thing lacks any real forethought especially since they are having a hard time to raise enough funds to even start working on SOMETHING. Dreams are fine to have, but as was mentioned earlier, sometimes things remain dreams because they simply cannot conform to reality's standards.
    After CoE launches there is no intent to create new content in the sense of DLC like other MMOs. Rather new content will be dependent on what and how fast the players are researching and experimenting in the creation of items of their desired products. For example, if several players are researching building Ships, the game engine will track their process/desire and SBS will gradually implement the tools/mechanics the players need to eventually be successful in building seaworthy Ships. 
    Awesome,  I'm going to research "Star Destroyers."  Fear the horde!

;)
    That’s probably part of the Legendary upgrades you can buy for your research center...

Kyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Ungood said:
    Does this sound about right?
    I do not understand the point of the thread but there are couple things off in your calculation.

1) There is no basis for gauging average amount of characters/accounts per player.

2) Concurrent users to active player base is closer to 1:8 rather than 1:10.

3) Not all users with multiple accounts will multibox all, if any, of their accounts.
    YashaX
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:
    I do not understand the point of the thread but there are couple things off in your calculation.

1) There is no basis for gauging average amount of characters/accounts per player.

3) Not all users with multiple accounts will multibox all, if any, of their accounts.
    A few counter points.

Well the point is to give an idea of how active any server world would be. Since it's set that each server will have a capacity of around 100K characters, the idea was simply to try and figure out how that translates into active players on a server.

OPC, (Offline Player Character) which establishes that every character will be logged in at the same time, regardless if an active player is controlling them, this, if you had 3 characters in game, they would all be active, all the time, 24/7, regardless if you were playing them or not. So, yes, all users will in essence be multi-boxing all their accounts in some manner or another.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:

A few counter points.

Well the point is to give an idea of how active any server world would be. Since it's set that each server will have a capacity of around 100K characters, the idea was simply to try and figure out how that translates into active players on a server.

OPC, (Offline Player Character) which establishes that every character will be logged in at the same time, regardless if an active player is controlling them, this, if you had 3 characters in game, they would all be active, all the time, 24/7, regardless if you were playing them or not. So, yes, all users will in essence be multi-boxing all their accounts in some manner or another.
    As I understand things, these OPCs would be attackable at all times, which I'm not sure can really work. 

I feel players should have the option to not have their characters on the field (great cash shop opportunity BTW) unless there is some great way to protect them while in game.

Guess we'll have to wait for more details on the final designs. 
    Ungood

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:

A few counter points.

As I understand things, these OPCs would be attackable at all times, which I'm not sure can really work. 

I feel players should have the option to not have their characters on the field (great cash shop opportunity BTW) unless there is some great way to protect them while in game.

Guess we'll have to wait for more details on the final designs. 
    Yah, I am not sure how much I like the idea either, but, it really depends on how they put it in, like if you can log out in cities where guards will kill anyone that attacks another player, that could work, while not 100% safe, you would still be protected to some extent.

But again, it depends on the way it's done. Some ideas look great on paper, but turn to poo when put in the game.
    KyleranSpottyGekko
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Ungood said:
    if you had 3 characters in game, they would all be active, all the time, 24/7, regardless if you were playing them or not. So, yes, all users will in essence be multi-boxing all their accounts in some manner or another.
    This is false and wrong.

If that premise applied, your entire op would be moot since there would always be 100k characters active at any given time, number of actual players is irrelevant in this case.

Regardless, having a character PC controlled or player controlled is huge digference, so no, multi-boxing is not the same as OPC.
    craftseeker
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:
    if you had 3 characters in game, they would all be active, all the time, 24/7, regardless if you were playing them or not. So, yes, all users will in essence be multi-boxing all their accounts in some manner or another.
    This is false and wrong.

If that premise applied, your entire op would be moot since there would always be 100k characters active at any given time, number of actual players is irrelevant in this case.

Regardless, having a character PC controlled or player controlled is huge digference, so no, multi-boxing is not the same as OPC.
    Interesting you raised that point, there's been some discussions on how complex the activities for an OPC might be 

I think Caspian or someone confirmed for most it would fairly simple activities like AFK fishing or crafting.

But he also raised the possibility of players perhaps being able to purchase more complicated scripts in the store or even the ability to craft custom scripts for those able. 

Might all be just conjecture at this point so again, probably more to be revealed regarding OPC behaviors. 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Has there been any talk about macro support?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DleatherusDleatherus Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Kyleran said:

Interesting you raised that point, there's been some discussions on how complex the activities for an OPC might be 

I think Caspian or someone confirmed for most it would fairly simple activities like AFK fishing or crafting.

But he also raised the possibility of players perhaps being able to purchase more complicated scripts in the store or even the ability to craft custom scripts for those able. 

Might all be just conjecture at this point so again, probably more to be revealed regarding OPC behaviors. 
    i believe you are correct on this

Last i heard (there might be more recent info out there) is that OPC scripting would basically be on three levels:

basic: a UI based drag and drop of preset basic commands that depending upon which one syou dragged in, and in what order, would allow for a rudimentary customization

intermediate: folks with a working knowledge of Typescript (I think that's the code they settled on will be able to write their own customized scripts that could handle a lot of scenarios)

advanced: fairly complex scripts that allow for a large variety of scenarios, including what to do when attacked etc

it has been mentioned that these latter ones might be in high demand, especially if customized greatly, and could be quite valuable to a player

they have given as an example the game Screeps, which is essentially a game for coders, and in essence your base is a 24/7 OPC
    KyleranUngood
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Most people who visit this site regularly would at least give this game a try when/if it is released, despite the criticism. Whether they continue playing the game, is another matter. 

Personally, I'm pretty picky about the games that I play, but from what I've read, many active users of this site seemed to have played everything at least once. They may complain, but as soon as it is playable, they'll be there.
    SBFordmystichaze
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
    Most people who visit this site regularly would at least give this game a try when/if it is released, despite the criticism. Whether they continue playing the game, is another matter. 

Personally, I'm pretty picky about the games that I play, but from what I've read, many active users of this site seemed to have played everything at least once. They may complain, but as soon as it is playable, they'll be there.
    I'm the oppoite,  I play practically nothing, especially in MMO space.

This game holds my interest because it seems to be a different sort of virtual world, which would be fun to try.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I will let you know once the game enters open beta.
    Ungood
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:
    This is false and wrong.

No. It's relevant, because, if something were to happen, like say, @Kyleran 's hoard was to launch an invasion on some poor hamlet, how many active players would be in the game and able to respond.

This gives us an idea at how massive the PvP battles could be,

On top of that, it could give an idea how many players would be active to get involved in say doing something other then scripting, like for example, showing up for RP events, like say, a Kings Parade, or Holiday Festival, or Social Events (all of which would be player sponsored)

So, getting an idea of what kind of gathering of players, we could expect, is something worth discussing.

In my feelings on the matter it is something I wanted to discuss, If that is not the case for you, then, this is not going to be a topic you will enjoy.

Kyleran said:

I'm the oppoite,  I play practically nothing, especially in MMO space.

This game holds my interest because it seems to be a different sort of virtual world, which would be fun to try.

LOL, for me it depends.. like.. I forced myself to like Eternal Crusade, because it was WH40K, even if it really kinda sucks.

At the same time.. most other games for me to try have to come with a recommendation, someone I know suggests I try it..  often do not buy into hype trains.. as they too commonly turn into train wrecks.

One clarification is that Caspien said Hundred Of Thousands Of Players (or maybe characters... I’m on my phone and can’t research) on each server.  So that indicates at least 200k “characters” on each server

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    One clarification is that Caspien said Hundred Of Thousands Of Players (or maybe characters... I’m on my phone and can’t research) on each server.  So that indicates at least 200k “characters” on each server
    If I'm remembering correctly, i believe he said the 100k was the number of characters on a server (npc and players). The reason it's shared between the two, is because players can take over the body of an npc on creation. 
    Ungood
    --------------------------------------------
    If I'm remembering correctly, i believe he said the 100k was the number of characters on a server (npc and players). The reason it's shared between the two, is because players can take over the body of an npc on creation. 
    As I read it, it was he was expecting sales of 100K Sparks per server, indicating it would be 100K Characters, not Players or Accounts.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yeah i think the original pitch was too good to be true "i expected as such",if had of stayed the course and get their own resources/money,i bet a LOT of people would have been lined up to play,like i have a feeling at least 1 million out of the gates,now lucky to see a need for more than 1 server...IF it is ever finished.
    Too bad this was yet another "let's make a game on a whim",pitch an idea maybe money will just fly into our wallets,you CAN'T make games like that.
    Dleatherus

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

There is a video of him from a few months ago stating Hundreds of Thousands per server.  Was definitely plural 
    YashaX

There is a video of him from a few months ago stating Hundreds of Thousands per server.  Was definitely plural 
    I'm willing to cut him a break, if he can get 100K of any type of player on a server I'll be happy.
    Mendel

Kyleran said:
    I'm willing to cut him a break, if he can get 100K of any type of player on a server I'll be happy.
    I agree.Just prefer to use his exact words when possible.
    Gdemami

Didn't he downgrade his estimate?

Ungood said:
    Dunno 
    I think they should go for 10k and then scale up...

Ungood said:
    Dunno 
    I think they should go for 10k and then scale up...
    if he pulls off what he plans to pull off, no doubt he will sell a million.. IF..
    Kyleran