Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion Announces Defiance 2050, a Recreation of the Original Game from the Ground Up - Defiance - MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageTrion Announces Defiance 2050, a Recreation of the Original Game from the Ground Up - Defiance - MMORPG.com

Defiance News - Trion Worlds has announced Defiance 2050, a reimagined version of the original game that is better suited to the current generation of consoles and to better take advantage of the power of today's PCs. Defiance 2050 will launch in Summer 2018 for PlayStation 4, XBox One and PC.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Trion is 2 for 2 in my "interest department", first with Rift Prime and now the reboot of Defiance. I'm looking forward to this summer. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    SBFord said:
    Trion is 2 for 2 in my "interest department", first with Rift Prime and now the reboot of Defiance. I'm looking forward to this summer. :)
    I am beginning to wonder if they hired a bunch of folks from our little community here to help steer future projects!

Definitely cool to see it being "rebuilt," Defiance was a game I got into way too late in its life cycle.  Depending upon the monetization method, I might give it a try myself.
    MrMelGibson

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I'd like to see way more content and a better build system with multiple active skills and a better passive system. 1 active skill wasn't enough to make for a compelling MMOTPS. Other than that, Defiance is solid.
    MadFrenchieBillMurphyMrMelGibson
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I tried to play Defiance a while back, but I just couldn't. Compared to other MMO shooters, it felt dated, buggy, and the shooting model was just kind of rough.

If this one gets a gameplay refinement and not just a visual overhaul + new story, I'll be in heaven. LOVED the show and the world, just never stuck with the game. It didn't feel rewarding enough, felt rushed to launch, and buggy.
    MadFrenchieOctagon7711[Deleted User]AlomarMensurmgilbrtsnNextrixMrMelGibsonValdheiminfomatzand 1 other.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Is it the same Defiance that had the TV crossover?

laxie said:

Yep. But now totally moved on, 4 years into the future, from the original game and show.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    laxie said:
    Yes.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited February 2018
    I had a blast in the beta but after release quit it in a month - couldn't stand mediocre character models and animations (even by those old standards). Glad to see they have re-sculpted them completely.

(Just kidding. They are going to use the same toons which seemed ugly even 5 years ago)
    psychosiz1ElethonOctagon7711AlomarNextrix

Thank you for your time!

• KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233
    edited February 2018
    I love this game, can't wait! Edit: spelling hard when excited...
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Last month I went back after about a year away.  Nothing new other than more in-game vendors for equipment requiring the DLCs.  Regional bug invasion fights, both small and major lasted about half the time they did a year ago.  This was because virtually everyone was using bombs and missiles.  

Before I stopped a year ago I'd already done the missions and quests a couple of dozen times. The skill matrix hadn't changed.  There was nothing new to do other than collect more powerful weapons.  

I uninstalled it last month and won't be going back.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Wow, what a surprise! I didn't expect Trion would ever release re-imagined version of Defiance. This game was soo fun when it first came out. I'm really hoping they finally add in gear customization and gear sets into the game instead of just weapons.

• psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I liked the original game when it first came out but the repetition and lack a coherent story drove me away.  This is one of those games that if they get right, I would be happy to play again.
    AlomarGkarr
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Hope they also do a PS4 port. I liked the game upon release. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I never played the original. Although, I did watch the tv show for a few episodes. Sounds like something to keep an eye on!
    --------------------------------------------
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

It's important to know that this is a whole new game, BUILT ON the engine from the 1st. So expect the same locales, but overhauled, all new systems, new quests, new content, etc.
    Octagon7711Krynt0k

My Review Manifesto

• BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
    First Rift, now this?  Nice!  Gonna give both a shot.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Looking forward to this. Hopefully they do a great job. I liked the original concept but the execution needed work.
    BellomoAlomar

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256

Its your lucky day...
  • 123ffxiv123ffxiv Member UncommonPosts: 30
    My interest is piqued slightly. Hope inventory slots and at least vehicles transfer over.
  • BellomoBellomo Member UncommonPosts: 184
    That is awesome news I will definitely be playing this
  • spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    maybe if there was any kind of progression system it would be fun!

There was 0 point in playing the game after you finished the story.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
     'Defiance 2050 will launch in Summer 2018 for PlayStation 4, XBox One and PC.'

=)

Krynt0k said:

Its your lucky day...
    Great! :) thanks for the happy news lads. ^^ 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    No
    fucklng
    way
    . ......

I joked about this months ago, how Trion would focus on Defiance again with some brilliant strategic foresight. And I was right. They should totally hire me.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    So it sounds like it is the same engine. The systems will be overhauled but not the graphics?