Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your three favorite cities in the mmorpgs you have played?

124»

Comments

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Only one vote for Tortage in AOC?   :smile:
    Octagon7711
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    I'm honestly a fan of Rata Sum.  It's layered with lush gardens, vivid lighting, and the overall geometric shape is awe inspiring.

The second city would be Divinity's Reach, just as all have been voting for as well.

And the 3rd would have to be The Grove.

I would have honestly voted for the Night Elf starting city in WoW...but because of it's remote location, the city was constantly dead without population save for the starting characters. Rarely did anyone travel there, even in TBC when it became close to the starting area for the new Dranei (sp?) race. 

Overall I think that universal Auction Houses killed those chances of remote city travel.   That as well as the Dungeon Finder equipped with instant teleportation.  Traveling to dungeons was a thing that in itself was adventurous for groups to go through many zones, areas, cities, and even the occasional boat trips.  A rogue Rogue attempting to camp  a traveling group member would sometimes enact the whole party to travel there and gank the ganker.   

Alas, this thread has not only brought about nostalgia, but has harshly reminded of those good things of old that -while time wasters- actively made an MMO feel alive and a true online adventure game.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Azmodeus said:
    I said OT because that's a large capital city, compared to it Tortage just a sleepy little burg. But I agree that Tortage is the best tutorial town in games. It has everything a (pirate) town needs, two inns and a brothel :wink:
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Azmodeus said:
    Tortage was roller coaster ride I enjoyed a lot and still fire it up for a replay every year or so, if only the entire game was like that.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited February 2018
    ikcin said:
    Divinity's Reach is a living city.  Just walking around you hear gossip and people talking about their problems to others.  It also sounds alive with all the background chatter.  I once followed an NPC and saw what she went through to try and find her missing husband.  Not part of a quest line just one of many little stories someone added to the game to make it feel alive.

Living city? It sounds great for a singleplayer game. But what should make cities living in a MMO are the players. Most of the town is related to the solo personal story. That NPC is just lost time and gaming resources from the developers, as actually you cannot play with it. This is a bad idea even in a singleplayer game. As for the NPCs that say your name and call you the greatest hero - this is even worse. Because if there are other players around you - everyone of them is also the greatest hero. Well, if you do not want to play a game, but instead you want just to stay somewhere away from your real life, probably such a design is OK. In general I think it is terrible.
    This is called a layered approach.  Yes, you can still get creative with your friends and have fun.  Yes you can find quests in the city to follow.  This just adds an extra something that yes you could do without but does add something to immersion.  Like in real life with people all around me living their own personal stories.
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Stormwind - WoW

Divinity's Reach - Guild Wars 2

Suramar - WoW

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Gludin - Lineage 2
    Giran - Lineage 2
    The Grove - Guild Wars 2 

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Nyctelios said:
    ikcin said:
    Divinity's Reach is a living city.  Just walking around you hear gossip and people talking about their problems to others.  It also sounds alive with all the background chatter.  I once followed an NPC and saw what she went through to try and find her missing husband.  Not part of a quest line just one of many little stories someone added to the game to make it feel alive.

Living city? It sounds great for a singleplayer game. But what should make cities living in a MMO are the players. Most of the town is related to the solo personal story. That NPC is just lost time and gaming resources from the developers, as actually you cannot play with it. This is a bad idea even in a singleplayer game. As for the NPCs that say your name and call you the greatest hero - this is even worse. Because if there are other players around you - everyone of them is also the greatest hero. Well, if you do not want to play a game, but instead you want just to stay somewhere away from your real life, probably such a design is OK. In general I think it is terrible.
    How does static npcs with "!" on theirs heads help in any way? The point is not NPCs making the city feel alive. The point is that their are background noise instead of something immersion breaking. Cheez, chill out.
    He has been trolling these forums for a while on his ideas, just to clear up where Ikcin is coming from, he does not think it's a multi-player game unless he can gank you, loot your body, and insult you.

That is what you are dealing with, with that poster.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I cant disagree with any that were listed and I would say most that were already mentioned so ill go with the desert city in FF14, just felt massive and like a real city.

My other one would go for Halas in EQ1. So simple yet so much feel and setting to go with the lore of the race. Just so fitting. Has nothing to do with the fact Barbarian was my starting race in eq1 :-)
    ikcin said:
    Ungood said:
    He has been trolling these forums for a while on his ideas, just to clear up where Ikcin is coming from, he does not think it's a multi-player game unless he can gank you, loot your body, and insult you.

That is what you are dealing with, with that poster.

I never said such a thing, but it seems you like to put words on other people's mouths. Again you are the one who act aggressive, when you have no arguments.

Welcome to the Internet.

ikcin said:
    Any content is meaningful when it has consequences into the game. The multiplayer content is meaningful when it has consequences not only for you, but also for the other players. Every game forces you to do the things at a certain way, defined by its rules. For example in the GW2 I cannot beat and loot your weak character in the world of the game. Where is the freedom?

See, on the internet, when you say things, like this, yes.. yes this is what you want from a game, by your own words, you want to beat and loot characters weaker then you.

I never insulted you, you are what you are, may making that clear to other people, is not an insult, unless you are insulted by what you are.

4507kitaradNepheth[Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

ikcin said:

Ha, to call people with names and to claim they are sociopaths is not an insult? OK, I will disagree. For me the internet is not a toxic swamp full with human hate. Maybe you think different. Also I do not say I want to beat your character - which in fact is something pretty normal for any game with PvP - I say, I can't, because GW2 does not give free choices to the players. Do you even understand English?
    You fuss that it's not a Multi-player game because you cannot kill weaker players then your self, that is saying that is exactly what you want to do. Also, You were the one that called me a Sociopath after you claimed that you think it is normal behavior to gank, loot, and belittle other players in a game.

I don't need to insult you, if you find what you are insulting, then you need to change it.
    [Deleted User]kitaradNepheth

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Gorwe said:
    I also mentioned Khemi(Stygian capital), have I not?
    Just a quick, off-topic correction: Khemi is not the capital, that's just a smaller harbour/trader town. Stygia doesn't have a capital, it is ruled by competing sorcerer kings. If any of them you want to call capital, then probably Kheshatta would be the closest match, the seat of Thoth-Amon.
    (also, looks much better as a city than Khemi... :wink: )
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Ungood said:
    ikcin said:

Ha, to call people with names and to claim they are sociopaths is not an insult? OK, I will disagree. For me the internet is not a toxic swamp full with human hate. Maybe you think different. Also I do not say I want to beat your character - which in fact is something pretty normal for any game with PvP - I say, I can't, because GW2 does not give free choices to the players. Do you even understand English?
    You fuss that it's not a Multi-player game because you cannot kill weaker players then your self, that is saying that is exactly what you want to do. Also, You were the one that called me a Sociopath after you claimed that you think it is normal behavior to gank, loot, and belittle other players in a game.

I don't need to insult you, if you find what you are insulting, then you need to change it.
    Guys this is a thread about cities, on nearly every thread I go to I find you two banging on about nearly the same thing. Not saying what you are discussing is not important, but take a happy pill and tell us what you think about cities. :D
    Ungood
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Altdorf in WAR is the only one that made a lasting impression.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    My all time bestest had to be one of the player run/made cities from SWG.

I was blown away that everything in it was player built. If the players didn't exist, the city didn't.

Mos Eisley (SWG) and Bree (lotro) mainly because of my interests outside of gaming with the two.

I forgot to mention Altinova in BDO, great desert city.
    ikcin said:
    Ungood said:
    ikcin said:

No, I do not. In the games nobody actually dies. Do you make a difference between reality and games? And I'm talking about the multiplayer consequences. In fact a multiplayer game does not need weapons or fights, but it needs multiplayer consequences. If you have nothing to say except insults and purposely changing the meaning of my words - which is a pure trolling, do not speak to me please. It is very strange a person like you who dislikes PvP in games, is so aggressive in the forums.

Your words are very clear what you want,you have made it clear that you normal behavor in games is ganking, belittling, trolling, kill stealing and the like towards other players. And for the record, I enjoy a fair PvP fight, that is why I play MOBA's, that is why I loved the WvW of GW2, there is nothing like a fun enjoyable fight against another player.. and by the same token, you don't play MOBA's and didn't enjoy GW2's WvW, because you don't like fair fights, you like being nasty to people in game, you like taking from other players and trolling them. In fact you fussed that you didn't like WvW in GW2, because you could not insult and belittle the other players in the game.

I have not changed anything about what you have said, if you think that makes you look bad, then it's the person in the mirror that you need to have a talk with.. not me.
    Nepheth[Deleted User]

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    I'm going to have to think about this, but what a superb question relating to mmos!
    Scot said:
    I see BDO mentioned a lot.. and my free trial ran out before I really explored much.. but I was not so enamored by what I experienced, that I felt the need to buy the game.

If it really is that impressive, I might give it another go.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    edited February 2018
    I think they are all in Everquest, but I also enjoyed a lot in WoW.

In EQ I liked Kelethin, Qeynos, Freeport, Neriak, and Rivervale.

In WoW I liked Winterspring(and it's town), Darnassus, Ironforge, Stormwind, Thunderbluff, Darkshire, Booty Bay, and Undercity.  I liked the areas a lot more before Cataclysm.
    Ungood said:
    Scot said:
    I see BDO mentioned a lot.. and my free trial ran out before I really explored much.. but I was not so enamored by what I experienced, that I felt the need to buy the game.

If it really is that impressive, I might give it another go.

The problem with cities in BDO is that they look great, but I felt they were underused. Certainly people congregate in them, but not all have that many quests, hardly any places you can enter. Designed to be cities first, not gameplay first, helping them look splendid and real.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Flyte27 said:
    I liked the areas a lot more before Cataclysm.
    There must be VERY few people who like Azeroth better now than before Cata.
    I often talked about it with guildies and friends, and not a single one likes the new world better. But instead, they talk about Loch Modan, old Westfall, Darkshore, old Duskwood where you could get "ganked" by old, non instanced Stiches, etc...
    To me, the world seemed more peaceful and beautiful.  In Cataclysm, there are cracks in many places and there are NPCs running around constantly.  While this might make the world seem alive in some ways I didn't find it enjoyable.  I like the more serene old style.  Traveling through undisturbed forest, deserts, plains, etc. was more interesting IMO.
    AlBQuirky