Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of the Studio

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Stay on target guys...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited February 2018
    Seems CoE isn't the only company denying refunds on pre-orders. Will be interesting to see how this turns out. 

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/21/nintendo-accused-of-illegally-denying-refunds-on-pre-orders-in-europe/
    Interesting read.  If you're willing to keep us updated on how that unfolds, I'm certainly interested to read about it!

EDIT- on its own thread, I should add.  Sorry @Slapshot1188!
    WellspringGdemami

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Do you think just a minecraft (voxel) version of this game would work? Then they could spend more time focusing on the underlying systems, and the scope would seem to be somewhat more realistic considering the size of their team.
    Gdemami
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    YashaX said:
    Do you think just a minecraft (voxel) version of this game would work? Then they could spend more time focusing on the underlying systems, and the scope would seem to be somewhat more realistic considering the size of their team.
    It would work if they didn't already pre-sell something much, much bigger. I don't see how they could change the scope now.
    --------------------------------------------
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited February 2018
    It'd be pretty funny if they tried that though.  "Hey, I know we sold you a castle so um... here, enjoy it in this pixel voxel thing!"

I suppose it can't be much worse than only being able to view your spaceship at best in your hangar like in Star Citizen or something.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    It'd be pretty funny if they tried that though.  "Hey, I know we sold you a castle so um... here, enjoy it in this pixel voxel thing!"

I suppose it can't be much worse than only being able to view your spaceship at best in your hangar like in Star Citizen or something.
    To me it feels more like Pathfinder Online.
    Months and years of an unfinished game without content and the promise the good stuff will come.

Just to face reality in the end and fold up.
    Slapshot1188
    Harbinger of Fools

You could still get a castle, it would just be voxel graphics which can look pretty cool as well.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    YashaX said:

You could still get a castle, it would just be voxel graphics which can look pretty cool as well.
    I'm not sure the backers are looking for another Trove. Graphics matter much in gaming, I know blocks aren't for me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:

I'm not sure the backers are looking for another Trove. Graphics matter much in gaming, I know blocks aren't for me.
    I dunno... there is a lot of discussion about whether or not specific voxel pictures of the races are the right shade.  They went nuts for the "Soulforge" voxel picture...

I think there is a big portion that would be happy to play Elyria Minecraft for a few years.
    (Not a majority though)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:

I dunno... there is a lot of discussion about whether or not specific voxel pictures of the races are the right shade.  They went nuts for the "Soulforge" voxel picture...

I think there is a big portion that would be happy to play Elyria Minecraft for a few years.
    (Not a majority though)

Yeah I don't mind lowered grafics either.

Did you try Dead Maze?
    It's obvious they lowered the quality of the grafics and combat to focus on teamwork and social interaction instead.

The game came out of nowhere - no years of pre-release hype filled to the brim with bullshit promises.

Just a game that was suddenly there and playable with a realistic set of ingame features.
    So refreshing to see that something like this still exists.

Harbinger of Fools
    I haven’t.  Too busy in Aria currently

• RakorRakor Member UncommonPosts: 4
    They could get a publisher, they just choose not to have a publisher who wants them to make changes. I for one am glad to see they have the integrity to stick to their vision and not be persuaded by a greedy publisher who cares nothing about the game as long as they get a return on their investment ASAP.
    GdemamiDakeruSlapshot1188EponyxDamor
    Rakor said:
    They could get a publisher, they just choose not to have a publisher who wants them to make changes. I for one am glad to see they have the integrity to stick to their vision and not be persuaded by a greedy publisher who cares nothing about the game as long as they get a return on their investment ASAP.
    As long as the game gets built before the money runs out.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    edited February 2018
    Their funding is still rolling along at about $100k per month and trending upwards. Speculation in mid-January was that it was due to last minute nobility sales but it doesn't seem to have been. I really thought the whole SpatialOS thing would've seen this curve down.

Kyleran
    Must be all of the Valentine's Day chainmail bikini sales. 

;)
    Octagon7711

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:

I agree with you 100% on this, but, lets be real, if they put out a Voxel game, as a "pre-game" so players could build, and design, their cities, castles and what have you, players would play the hell out of that, for a while at least.
    KyleranYashaX
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:

I agree with you 100% on this, but, lets be real, if they put out a Voxel game, as a "pre-game" so players could build, and design, their cities, castles and what have you, players would play the hell out of that, for a while at least.

Alas, pretty sure they don't even have that much completed yet nor will they for a while, apparently.
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:

If I were basing my opinion just on the overall feel I was getting from backers, CoE would likely have at least a core base who would be fine with Voxel, so long as it allowed CoE to implement all/most of the underlying game systems they describe.
    Ungood

Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:

If I were basing my opinion just on the overall feel I was getting from backers, CoE would likely have at least a core base who would be fine with Voxel, so long as it allowed CoE to implement all/most of the underlying game systems they describe.
    if they used Voxel as a foundation (which I think they will.. similar to how CU will have a destructible world) it would give players time to customize their landscapes, laying rivers, tress, mountains, caves, then on down to city and private building layouts, and all the little "World building" details, which, lets be real.. players could spend months just planning that kind of stuff out.
    MadFrenchieKyleranGdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited February 2018
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:

if they used Voxel as a foundation (which I think they will.. similar to how CU will have a destructible world) it would give players time to customize their landscapes, laying rivers, tress, mountains, caves, then on down to city and private building layouts, and all the little "World building" details, which, lets be real.. players could spend months just planning that kind of stuff out.
    Absolutely, and I think the playerbase is far more interested in the world building the devs are advertising than any visual fidelity.  I'm sure some would likely see it as a large detriment, but I could see their playerbase accepting that as a compromise if both the graphical fidelity and the mechanics are just simply too much for the team to complete without getting to some kind of "release" state to attract more players and revenue to help pursue the upgraded graphical fidelity.
    Gdemami

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:

I do not believe that any of what you proposed is planned...  
    Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think there are any plans to let players plot out rivers, mountains etc...

As a matter of fact I would think that stuff falls into the whole land grab where folks claim their plots based on how much store currency they have.  Maybe one of the landowners can clarify.

MadFrenchieGdemami

• mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    edited February 2018
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think there are any plans to let players plot out rivers, mountains etc...

As a matter of fact I would think that stuff falls into the whole land grab where folks claim their plots based on how much store currency they have.  Maybe one of the landowners can clarify.

It isn't completely clarified yet what all will be entailed in VoxElyria during the KoE stage of the game. It has been confirmed that those players who are involved in KoE will somehow earn points through the building of infrastructure and obtaining new land. However, it has also been stated that the initial owner of the land will have the option to take their land back at the end of KoE. 

It is my understanding that the complete intended structure of KoE is still under development. Hence why we don't yet have any concrete details.
    Ungood
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:

Well iirc, CoE claims to have Terraforming, so.. I don't see why this would not be a thing, in one manner or another. Even if not part of the Voxel release, it would happen in game anyway as players modify the landscape.

• DleatherusDleatherus Member UncommonPosts: 168
    edited February 2018
    nope - there is NO terraforming in CoE

the closest thing to it is when you go to place the foundations for a home any irregularity in terrain height will be auto smoothed out

i don't know how that will work - whether it will adjust to the highest, lowest or median  amount, nor how steep of a slope you could place a home on

there will be NO diversion of water etc - closest to that will be a moat for a building, and that is added through blueprints and then constructed as part of the building (or added later through subsequent remodel)

my current understanding (things are always subject to change at this stage) is that roads and buildings built during the KoE phase of VoxElyria will transition into the game at Expo/launch, but nothing else will

mystichazeAshyLarry24
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:

Yeah, that's what I thought, and not all voxel games are as ugly as Trove. I have seen amazing work on some minecraft servers, for example.