Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The horde don't want Sylvanas!

13»

Comments

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    edited February 2018
    I personally think a lot of people love Sylvanas on the horde, myself included. I think she is not evil personally. She is just trying to survive and help her people survive. Yeah, she is being selfish in the way she does it, but I don't think she is inherently evil. I don't think they are going to kill her off / have her become another Garrosh. We don't know that she burned the world tree either yet. 
    SBFord[Deleted User]Nepheth
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited February 2018
    Betrayal since the beginning of time:

And thats how she got Lordaeron aka undercity.

[Deleted User]

• TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    edited February 2018
    If she gets Saurfang killed I will go alliance for good. He's a true hero. I love Sylvanas but Saurfang has taken the worst life(and death via his son) can hand out and risen to meet it...with Honor.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Seeing a ton of speculation based on data mining in this thread. A lot of that is red  herrings / incorrect information according to Christile Golden. 
    SBFord
  • SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited February 2018
    Torval said:
    Darksworm said:
    d_20 said:
    Darksworm said:
    doesn't*

The Horde doesn't want Sylvannas.

Sorry.  Pet peeve.
    You would be quite peeved in Britain then.

The British people I know are capable of conjugating basic, high frequency verbs like "do" and forming proper subject-verb agreement.

You can check this by inverting subject and verb and turning the statement into a question:

The Horde don't like Sylvannis. (Original Statement)
    Don't the Horde like Sylvannis? (Check Failure)

The Horde doesn't like Sylvannis. (My Version)
    Doesn't the Horde like Sylvannis? (Check Success)
    d_20 said:
    hydrax9 said:
    English actually comes from the germanic tribes that brought the language to britain.
    English is a Germanic language, but if you want to go back far enough we can say they are all Indo-European languages. What we call "English" is really a patchwork of origins, leaning a lot on French/Latin and other languages, as well.

English is not a patchwork of languages.  It's a language like any other, which has been changed via language contact - but not really by French.  Grammatically, English has been basically unaffected by French.  The only thing we inherited from French was vocabulary, a lot of which is used in upper register speech.  Colloquial English vocabulary is heavily dominated by words of Germanic roots.

English actually got a lot of influence from Scandinavian (then called Norse - but it was the "language" spoken in Sweden at the time... they had a settlement/kingdom on the British Isles called the Danelaw) in terms of grammar, though.  We also borrowed a lot of vocabulary from them.  During the conquest, all people on the Isles had to live as one conquered people.  This caused tons of language contact and is the most likely cause for the grammatical changes in the language.  Grammatically, a lot of the system in English moved towards Norse, but the vocabulary was still predominantly Anglo.

What we got from French was mostly vocabulary, and that has no bearing on the "lineage" of a language, as languages borrow words from other routinely.  Fundamentally, the language is still clearly Germanic.  It's not a Creole or Pidgin, which is what you're "hinting" at.

French actually got more influence from Germanic languages (Frankish) than English got from French.  The entire phonological system of French being so different from other Romance languages, for example, owes much to that Germanic influence.  English saw no such influences from French.  No one calls French a patchwork of languages, despite the fact that it still has quite a few Germanic holdovers and has borrowed a ton of words from English (what language hasn't?).

All we got from French, Latin, and Greek were the words people use to sound smart (predominantly), and words to use to name species, diseases, etc. :-)  Vestigial languages are good for that, because they don't change therefore you do'tn have to worry about the words, prefixes, suffixes, etc. changing meaning over time.  "Anti" will always mean "against," even if 100 years from now the English word "against" shifts in meaning to something different.
    The Horde doesn't like Sylvanus.
    They doesn't like Sylvanus. <--fail

It's situational on whether the subject is singular and whether the thense is present or past. You're being rudely pedantic and derailing a thread for attention when you're not clearly right, or wrong. Bitching about grammar in a forum is stupid.
    The Horde is not plural.  It's a singular entity.  "Horde" has a singular and plural form.  That should be an obvious clue to you.  You really need it...  That's why it's capitalized as a Proper Noun and not lowercased as a common noun.

When using a pronoun to refer to the Horde, the nuance is based on whether or not you're referring to the entity "The Horde" or the group that is contained within that entity (the members of the Horde).

This allows us to make statements like:

"The Horde is coming.  I hope they are too tired to fight."

When referring to the Horde as an entity, we use "It."  When referring to its members as a group, we use "They."

You can use "they" to refer generically to a singular object (as you tried to troll me with in the quoted post), but you have to use a plural verb with it.  They is a plural pronoun.  Subject-Verb Agreement.  You cannot use a singular verb with a plural pronoun.  We still know Horde is singular based on the fact that it's named using the singular form of the noun...

This is like saying:

"They sure is good players."  Which is ungrammatical, caricatured speech/writing.

Yes, you can use "singular They" colloquially.

No, you cannot use singular they with a singular verb - ever.  It must always take a plural verb when used as the subject - regardless of what it's referring to.  The check I posted earlier won't work with Singular They, because it's a "special" case which will always require you to change the verb.  The example I gave above displays this.

You're just trolling me and using bad information in an attempt to lend credibility to your awful trolling.
    Post edited by Darksworm on
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited February 2018

berenim said:
    English grammatically unaffected by French? Guess who you may thank for the irregular verbs in English? IIRC those are derived from French influences on verbs where the Old English form was lost. Something about "went" comes to mind, which comes from "wendan", can't imagine the origin of "go", though. 
    berenim said:
    English grammatically unaffected by French? Guess who you may thank for the irregular verbs in English? IIRC those are derived from French influences on verbs where the Old English form was lost. Something about "went" comes to mind, which comes from "wendan", can't imagine the origin of "go", though. 
    Completely wrong.

Go derives from an Old English verb 'gān', and so did Went 'wenden'.  Went became the past form of Go by process of suppletion.  What happened is the meaning of "Went" changed, and it became synonymous with Go.  However, the past tense is the only form that continued to be used commonly, so it replaced the past tense of Go, despite the fact that the two verbs were not cognate.

Basically, the language consolidated the verbs, as has happened in other cases as well (the move from 2 to 1 copula in French is another case, I'd argue).
    Post edited by Darksworm on

Saw this on reddit. May the dark lady be with you! 

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited February 2018
    That's a pretty standard level 6 quest that is already in game. :)

In a perfect world, both sides would be gray. They already are there, tbh.

In this quest, Allies are sent out to kill troll children. 

Ally-only quest near Ironforge

The trolls're acting up. More than usual, I'd say. We've seen them put together war parties before, but this time it's... different.

What matters most, however, is the continued protection of Anvilmar. I've no intention to let these trolls flank Anvilmar while its attention is turned towards troggs. Go thin their ranks a bit. They need to know that we're still not without defenses.

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=182/the-troll-menace

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

they're more like teenagers than children, and they are fighting the dwarves and gnomes, but still.Trolling For Informationconfirmed they were going to set a Fire Elemental on us, but that they were also scared out of their wits too.

Compare that to To Be Horde, where Overlord Krom'gar dropped a huge bomb on a school, whose students were probably the same age, and Garrosh Hellscream of all people shows up and executes Krom'gar for the despicable act.

Anyways damn dwarves!!! I cant finish that quest.

edited February 2018
    Torval said:
    tawess said:
    Now speaking of unhinged people in a position of power.... Why has not someone just given Genn Greymane a "vacation" to some far off retreat where he can work through his issues. 

The sack of denial he carries could fit an old god. 

Especially his hate-boner for Sylvanas over Varian... Nothing in the green sky of the legion would have saved Varian there... That man had a deathwish and he was seeking it. 

Sure dead elf girl is way more unhinged... But of the major leadership on the Alliance side... .. . It aint looking good.

Genn is coco for cocopuffs.
    Velen is well... done for. 
    the council of hammers is a civil war waiting to happen
    Anduin is greener than a pair of common boots 
    Nobody cares about gnomes
    and the Nelf leadership has pretty much been a looooooooong string of heartache and grief... Also they do not really give a flying funk about the Alliance if it can be avoided. 

The Horde at least have good leadership in general. 
    And nobody cares about gnomes. That pretty much sums up the entire game right there. Gnomes need some serious love. It's not right as a gnome when I've revered with Ironforge and barely scratching honored for Gnomeregan.

Genn Graymane is a wack job. I'm also surprised Worgen are in the alliance at all the way they're treated. I think Blizz just wanted to give the alliance an edgy race so they shoehorned them in there. They really belong with the horde.

Doing some quests in Borean Tundra, always speed lvled but now im reading everything!

TIL: Gnomes are Titan creations (mechanic) and cause of the curse of flesh they became the gnomes we know now. 

Dwarves are childeren of the titans.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ironforge_-_the_Awakening_of_the_Dwarves
    Post edited by Dragnelus on

Dragnelus said:
    Betrayal since the beginning of time:

And thats how she got Lordaeron aka undercity.

I miss the days when Sylvanas and Varimathras both stood together in Undercity. They had different, much cooler voices too. Then Vari disappeared and Sylvanas started to sound like an 80 year old lady.

Bad move, Blizz..bad move I say!!!
    Kinda agree. But I have no idea how it works but I guess for elves it wont change but undead it will change eventually cause it rot slowly?

OG_Zorvan said:
    As hot as she is, if the Horde don't want her, I do!

Necrophilia
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Xarko

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Dragnelus said:
    Troll speak da truth. 
    Doing Silverpine quests for the Val'kyr lore and stumbled on this:

edited February 2018

Gonna try Azshara quests now. Silverpine Forest made me depri, kill innocents, capture a daugther for bargain, undead ex dalaran mage asked me to kill his student and every other mages just for fun etc

But shaman orc is cool tho 

Edit: Was kinda relieved when Godfrey killed Sylvanas but those Val'kyr needed to ress her again and they died for her -_-