Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : MMOFTW - The Mutant Chronicles from Funcom?

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : MMOFTW - The Mutant Chronicles from Funcom?

MMORPG.com is the leading destination for MMORPG games, news and exclusive coverage of the MMO gaming space. Our free MMO games list and discussion forums are the best site for gamers in search of a gaming community.

Read the full story here

Comments

• malikhigh1978malikhigh1978 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I think them focusing more on Conan Exiles would prove far more advantageous at the moment. They should be focusing on polishing up launch, while at the same time, focusing on another expansion, as well as simplifying the modding process. The way it's set up now, it's far more burdensome than anything else. Hence, one of the key reasons Ark's popularity is still pretty solid, and theirs continues to wane.
    bingo69
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well Malikhigh,i hate break it to you,Conan exiles was never intended to be a long term investment,just put out an idea that was popular and a quick cash grab.Games like that get all their cash in the first couple weeks then go on life support.
    As to Funcom's new game...well i don't see any kind of MP needed but as usual ,dev's like to have some sort of login screen to support an ongoing cash shop.I have no idea of this Chronicles stuff,i still feel this will be a very low end 2D type game,similar to Darkest Dungeon but likely better because no way could be worse.
    Never liked the Rift "souls" idea,i would say it was a prime factor to why i quit the game.

There are already lots of games like that f2p TOAst mmorpg,it just looks like a cheap game to me.However i wil test it out and see.Talk of Que UE's is not a good thing,mattter of fact being f2p is a totaly bad thing because i hear it is also very grindy so expect lots of bots soon enough which wil further drive the que ue's up.This reminds me of Silkroad online with low end graphics and over run with bots and long que ue's,so if Que is too long i may never test it out.
    I am getting old so i hate birthdays lol.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• malikhigh1978malikhigh1978 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    edited February 2018
    Honestly, until they come out with a good hybrid survival/building/mmo, and I mean actual mmo. I am likely done with the mmorpg's. There is no new anything. I'm thinking once VR really starts to take shape, and games expand in the hardware direction to incorporate more realism, then I'll give it another shot. In the meantime It's survivals, mobas, and epic single mode games for me man. In regards to the Conan Exiles thing though. Have you actually played it? It is quite good, and the reason games like Ark, 7 Days to Die, Rust, and now Conan Exiles do so well, is because of replay value. The thing is, Funcom has fallen short in regards to adding magic and mounts, and instead plan to release that well after launch. These are very simple things in my opinion.

Most mmo's for instance have mounts uber early in development. I suppose I feel like what they are trying to do is take care of everything on their own. What they need to do is work on making the mod system simple. Someone wants to join your server, and you have mods? Just join the server, it'll download the mods, and you can access that list to see which one's you are running at any time. Instead, you have to write down the list, subscribe to that list. Restart Conan. Go into mods, and put them in the same order as the server owner, then join the server. It's UBER cumbersome, and whoever thought that up should be terminated of their position, lol. Do that, then all of a sudden the mod community pushes out the content for you. Then you run promo's, like what Ark did, to drive more player content, and have them grow a stronger community, by voting which mods should be supported and incorporated in the game.
    Alomar
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Just tried that Toast game....sigh.
    If this site does a review.i'll know it's fake ,the game is unplayable.What bothers me is that how does a developer expect me to test the game out,it's functionality if i can't even move from so much lag?It was all rubber banding.No way a game with that low graphics,VERY little on screen should ever lag,not even if i go back and find my last 3 computers.

What i can comment on is the BEFORE i get into game.Way too slow,the entire server structure is lag,like they don't have anyone with networking experience.The character customization is Wiz 101 only worse,so literally no customization just a few visual hair/eye color changes.

They should get the server structure in place BEFORE any testing can begin.Oh and the TOS/testing/agreement,very invasive,it is like they are trying to BLAME us if anything goes wrong or any negative feedback hurts the business.NO YOU the business are causing your own problems by not getting past the very FIRST part which is obtain a workable server structure so SOME minute form of positive structure can happen.
    As to mention of ARK,that game made it big because the Dinosaur theme is,has been always popular,the game ran terrible out of the gate and even the combat was broken for a long time.

bobbymcswanson

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I can pretty much confirm that the Funcom game is Mutant Year Zero.

https://funcom.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/bucket/MYZ/images/c2z_s.jpg

That is the URL of one of the images on the website. MYZ.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited February 2018
    The optimization in Tale of Toast is pure s%^$ but can see the game doing well if they get all the technical stuff figured out.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Well, a post apocalyptic MMO do have a potential. Unfortunatley do I doubt it is a MMO, it is more likely that it is a Fallout clone, hopefully with multiplayer at least.

If it is a MMO I would certainly try it, I am skeptical about a multiplayer game and if it is singleplayer I will avoid it.
    MMOreaver
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    That picture of the mutant made me think of RAGE off the bat.  
    [Deleted User]
  • DrakolusDrakolus Member UncommonPosts: 134
    If it really is Mutant Chronicles, I'm mildly excited. I've played some of the games based on that IP tabletop and the fluff is usually pretty good.
    xexeb
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited February 2018
    So Bill you barely missed the leap year birthday huh ? Happy Birthday.

I'd like the Funcom game to be not so actiony though....pretty please. May be even turn based.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited February 2018
    So Bill starts like this:

This has been kind of a boring week...

Or you can listen to a commentator who says something like:

OMG!, WTF its amazing!...

You decided who is more likely to give you a rational account of last weeks gaming. :)
    BillMurphy[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Having seen the video, just wondering is it possible to get gaming footage these days that does not have loot boxes falling out of the sky?

So Rift Prime Server is just a levelling server? Your avatars get transferred when it closes down. Anyone wondering what the point of the server is now? I am sure subscription only will remove the riff-raff but can't see any other reason?
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Scot said:

Having seen the video, just wondering is it possible to get gaming footage these days that does not have loot boxes falling out of the sky?

That would make a cool parody game!
    Lootbox Dodge! The Search for Gameplay
    Scot
  • n3xxn3xx Member UncommonPosts: 36
    all I want from them is AO2 I couldn't care less about anything else
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    i like it so far, aslong as i dont have to be forced to team up with 3 yelling teen asshats.
  • bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195

I think them focusing more on Conan Exiles would prove far more advantageous at the moment. They should be focusing on polishing up launch, while at the same time, focusing on another expansion, as well as simplifying the modding process. The way it's set up now, it's far more burdensome than anything else. Hence, one of the key reasons Ark's popularity is still pretty solid, and theirs continues to wane.

Yep, seeing how the testlive is such a mess... I fear Conan Exile is alrdy dead before even going to launch.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    And this is why companies like Funcom continue to flounder financially. Instead of focusing their limited resources on one or two things and making them they best they can be, they spread things out and wind up making a bunch of mediocre crap. It's maddening, especially when they focus so much of their efforts on multiplayer gaming, something they've never really been good at from a technical standpoint.

Could you imagine the potential of a single player survival horror RPG with the setting and writing quality of The Secret World? They could have the next Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem on their hands! Hell, give us a huge SP Conan game that's like Tortage from Age of Conan! People LOVED Tortage! DO THAT!!

It's painful to see a company with great creative talent screw themselves over with technical issues and bad business decisions time and time again. They're not a AAA studio, and need to stop trying so hard to be one.
    BruceYee

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I've never even heard of this IP. Is it popular?
    Amongst pen-and-paper RPG players ...yes.  It had several incarnations under several names over the decades.

Have fun