Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does PUBG's popularity say about the foreseeable future of games?

2»

Comments

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    if Twitch’s top game streams over the years has taught me anything, it’s that most people have vastly different tastes in gaming than me. 

There is is clearly a very strong audience for match based pvp games. 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Guys you're not doing it right. OP wanted to create a sky is falling thread blaming a game for the fall of MMORPG and humanity as we know it. 

This is your FPS/Moba/PVP ruined everything moment. Get it together.
    ScotLazarus71OhhPaigey
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Battle Royales will eventually fade as everything else has done.. survival games, zombies, builders, shooters,  they'll still have popularity, but they fade, and something new will crop up.  They don't appeal to me much personally.  Buggy or not, it's a game mode most people don't play a lot of and now it'll be played out by the end of the year aside from their respective followers, and we'll be on to the next thing.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    If there is one thing that PUBG has demonstrated, is that success is ephemeral, its perhaps not all that surprising that H1Z1 is sinking beneath the waves, but that Fortnite has managed to eclipse PUBG is the real sign that any games success, at least in this particular genre, has a shelf life, this is not because PUBG is a bad game, it isn't, it is still a successful game but now, there is a lot more competition, though H1Z1 was never really a serious contender, the way Fortnite has stormed onto the scene though really is a sign of how fast things can change, which it has, and practically overnight.
     There will always be better games, i think thats the only real message that can be read from this, H1Z1 had its day and was replaced by a far superior PUBG and now in its the turn of Fortnite, which is currently basking in the glow of popular acclaim.
    But there is always tomorrow, there can never be too many good games after all, and the more good games there are, the harder Devs try and hopefully, the fewer bad games there will be, though based on current events, i think we can pretty much count on Konami to not be adding anything of any value any time soon, seriously, are they trolling themselves? because if MGS is any real indication of ability, then they need to stick to pachinko machines :o
    Lazarus71
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    my understanding is that PUBG was a better version of H1Z1 and that fortnite is now a better version of PUBG.  Sometimes being first or second to market with something people want is enough.
    AlBQuirky
  • Tatsuya9411Tatsuya9411 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    edited March 2018
    Bananable said:
    Nothing new. This is how it goes for years. Theres no quality, but huge mess. And it doesnt matter b2p p2p or SP game. F2p games are  the same, but, you know, atleast they are free.
    Devs/Publisher create someting cheap and hope for the blast. Then they brag how smart they are, but if it fails they blame players or other companies games.
    And other Devs/Publisher look how much easy money these clowns got ,so  they start do clones.

Look at Wildstar. They said "Its gonna be WoW killer" ,but not "a new awesome innovative game". Its sad.

Bethesda put f2p features into b2p semi-sub game. Put paid mods in SP games. Released 6 years old game on Switch.They didnt fixed bugs in SE,I doubt they fixed bugs in this one.Fallout 4 requires 1080 for high res textures pack.

SE put denuvo on Nier:Automata, but didnt care about optimization. Some random modder have to fix that.I also heard it was someting wrong with price in Asia (dunno if thats true)(Note DS also had bad port on PC, official response was someting like "we dunno anything about pc ports". And some modder did all their job. Nothing changed 6 years later, even that SE has alot of games on PC.

Early access; remaster; increasing prices on old games; no optimization;weird regional prices...*Sigh* 
    Lawbreakers was also once said to be a billion dollar franchise yet look at where they are now