Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your mmorpg... be selfish !

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
You're walking along the beach and you come across a corked bottle.  You pick it up, pop the cork and give it a little rub, then out comes a Genie (not a very attractive one, so don't get any ideas).  

The Genie grants one wish.... "Summarize how your dream mmoprg would be and I'll grant your wish" 

Me: 

Vanilla World of Warcraft 2  
Fantasy but totally different lore.  No Stormwind or Orgimmar, Barrens, Elwynn Forest, Straglethorn Vale.  Different races and classes, but some could be the same.  Kind of like the same creators are writing a totally different book, with exactly the same mindset. 

Vanilla difficulty with open world PvP, dungeons and raids.  Sure better graphics to fit 2018 and minor tweaks to make it less irritating. 

60 levels 
$59.95, $14.95 monthly 
No cash shop  

Vanilla World of Warcraft was a masterpiece.  I would love to see it again !!     
Vanchora4507

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Well they are trying to bring it back but not with all the changes you mentioned, not sure it will do as well as so many hope.
    Vanchora
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,600
    I want npc which resemble actual human behavior.  Basically AI NPC which behave like real human.
    VanchoraDaikuru
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540
    Warning, wall of text incoming.
    I would tell Genie: you know, Genie, since it is only one wish - it is huge, so calm down, sit down, listen and do what I tell ya.
    1. Free to play. Main game is free, almost all classes are free, all races are free. Everything else function easily:  subscribers gets all content as long as they pay. Free players have to use kind of Lotro points; of course, these require time to get.
    2. No pay to win. In-game shop exists, but it sells only cosmetic items. Free players use points for that, paying customers - in game gold.
    3. Evil RNG is gone. Each monster has an equal chance to drop stuff. Each dungeon has known loot. Some is guaranteed, like every member gets Big Shiny Bauble. Also, players know that each has, say, 30% probablity to win Magic Shiny Bauble. If game bhas to decide, it takes to account many factors. Does player have loot? Players' alts? Would that oot be usable for player's class? How many times did player take part in that dungeon? Is player able to get that loot with barter?
    4. PVE only. Game may have pvp server with no quests, no rules - everything is allowed. Only for paying customers for additional pay (say, +20$/month).
    5. Weather. yres, it exists and changes. With weather chamnge we have different situations: some animals are active at night, some are more often at winter. Weather impacts platyers: it's probably easier to walk on stable ground than on snow...
    6. Huge number of quests. Less than 10.000 is unacceptable. Like Lotro - deeds (kill 10 rats), meta-deeds (kill 10 rats in reach region) and super-deeds (kill 10 units of each mob type in entire game).
    7. Content is always soloable. But - if you fight in group, you always get better rewards. More xp, better items, more chance for rare stuff etc. Grouping pays off.
    8. Choices matter. Villager asks to kill 10 rats promising 1 gold. You may kill 10 rats and tell things done; you may kill less rats and tell things done' you may kill zero rats and tell things done; you may kill villager after all. Consequences? If you are good person, villagers would start giving better rewards or even fight for you, should you get into trouble. Be bad person, they may even attack you when you are in the middle of the fight.
    9. Choices matter II. Each race has relationships with others. Race A are warriors, superb in combat, loved by race B - a pity, all other races hates race A because of their wars. Race C is a peace-loving race, expert crafters - a pity, they hate race A and race A hate them, also a pity, they are bad as warriors (but hey, super-efficient crafters!). Finally, race Z - necromancers creating legions of undead, life means nothing to them. Everybody hates them, everybody wants to kill them (but hey, you never fight alone - just summon legion of skeletons or evil spirits).
    10. Choices matter III: equipment. Heavy armour is superb, absorbing many hits. However, it's heavy and you can't move fast. If it's winter or summer - a problem, you are getting cold/overheating too quickly, troubles with swimming. Light armour offers little protection, but hey - you can move faster, do not overheat, you can swim efficiently. Same with weapons: that Big Sword of Owning destroys entire horde of Orcs...just it's very heavy. And your inventory is limited to weight and item numbers. Of course, that Pointy Dagger is light, takes less space...just good for self-defense only.
    11. Class matter. Mage is superb in ranged magic nukes. See nuke in the middle of Orc camp? yeap, Mage worked...just Mage better run a.s.a.p, because he is bad at melee. Ranger is an expert with bow/crossbow, able to do lots of damage quickly...once again, almost zero efficiency with magic and melee. Tank is heavy hitter, stomping those orcs to the ground...yet he can use bow with very ;ame efficiency and almost zero use in magic;
    12. Enviroment matters too. Orcs sets youi on fire? No problem, just jump to thatb pool of water. getting over-cold? Well, look at that hojuse with fireplace. Over-heating? Just head for some shadow or descend to that cage (hopefully legends on Troll-man eater are pure fairy tales).
    13. Crafting does matter. You get recipes, you can improve them with magic items (think Istaria's pockets, Lotro's essences) or improve item itself (like: add ton of stuff, make this axe with +10 woodcutting skill).  While best equipment is dungeon only, second best is always carfted. Of course, quests do give some stuff to wear or trash.
    14. Housing. A must for every player. Two options: get a standard house in a plot of land (say, free players) and feel free to place anything, anywhere. Or get a plot of land and build your dream house yourself. Tons of resources, including rare ones, but you are almosy unlimited in your fantasy (this is for paying players).
    15. Slow updates. Update is always heavily tested on all types of OS, almost all processors and displays. Once again - like in Lotro, there are quest packs and expansions. Each expansion is sold for real cash too - offering nice cosmetic rewards, unique ones that would never be replicated. Think of cool-looking mount, cosmetic pet, nice decoration for house or set of cosmetics armour.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Real life with no permadeath .

ScotAethaeryn
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    DMKano said:
    I'd take that bottle and shove it up that genie's a...

Never trust a genie

They usually smell bad too. Soon as you open the bottle, it smells like shit. 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Well.

For me. As far as MMO's go, I'd love to see a Warhammer 40K MMO get made, that has all the parts involved. 

Space Travel and Gothic type ship to ship combat, with both Planetary Travel and Spacehulk like areas to explore.

Hive Worlds, Necromunda set ups, Crone Worlds, right into the Warp itself.

All the races involved, Everything from Necrons, to Sisters of Battle, all of it, included in some manner. (even if not playable)

Full progression ladder, IE: If you want to play Space Wolves, you start as a Human on Fenris, and need to climb up the ranks to become a Space Marine.

I think just really making an MMO that embraces the Lore of the Universe, would be really something great.
    [Deleted User]delete5230Psym0nConstantineMerus
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

DMKano said:
    Ungood said:
    Well.

For me. As far as MMO's go, I'd love to see a Warhammer 40K MMO get made, that has all the parts involved. 

Space Travel and Gothic type ship to ship combat, with both Planetary Travel and Spacehulk like areas to explore.

Hive Worlds, Necromunda set ups, Crone Worlds, right into the Warp itself.

All the races involved, Everything from Necrons, to Sisters of Battle, all of it, included in some manner. (even if not playable)

Full progression ladder, IE: If you want to play Space Wolves, you start as a Human on Fenris, and need to climb up the ranks to become a Space Marine.

I think just really making an MMO that embraces the Lore of the Universe, would be really something great.

It would be something great

It would also be something prohibitively expensive.
    Oh Yah.. I agree 100%, expensive beyond measure, and getting the lore right would be a huge issue, given not all of it lines up in the books and novels, or game for that matter.

But that is why we are using an ugly genie that smells bad to make it happen. :wink:

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

ikcin said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    I want npc which resemble actual human behavior.  Basically AI NPC which behave like real human.

That amazes me every time - to want a multiplayer game where the NPCs act like humans - so you want the NPCs to kill your character, loot your character, insult you, steal your mobs, interrupt your solo grinding, I highly doubt. Why anybody will ask to play a MMO, if he does not want to play with other people?

iixviiiix said:
    Real life with no permadeath .

That is coming maybe in the next century.

People have conflict interest between their real life and mmorpg life.  You don't actually live in mmorpg 24/7.  A mmorpg player won't play the mmorpg like it is their second life.  

A mmorpg player won't be able to open a store 24/7 and sit there.  A mmorpg player won't felt it is obliged to play the game forever because he is the emperor of the kingdom.  

A mix of real life players and NPC is better to keep the integrity of making things like Sword art online or west world a reality.  Because a mmorpg player won't be to keep the integrity of the world like it is their second life.  

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    Honestly, I'm tired of MMO's focused on combat. I'd like to see a game with more crafting, economy, and other stuff with fully fledged skill trees and systems. I'm tired of games where the 80% of the game is spend bashing mindless AI's for some pointless gear-treadmill. 

I understand that combat is important but it seems stupid to me to focus so much of the game on a single aspect. Everyone always talks about "Pillars of the game" when crafting and economy is "So important", but then they just slap same half-crocked idea together, add some basic recipe bashed trash then toot about how revolutionary it all is.

Someother things that might be fun to see. 

1. A peradeath survival Apocalypse MMO where monsters or zombies or something start appearing in the world. If players die, they are out. Servers might last a week or two, with more games starting at spaced out intervals to keep populations concentrated. Might make it level and experienced based like a litRPG or just keep it hardcore with no progression.

2. A real 3d pokemon MMO.   

3. An actual MMOFPS instead of something stupid and lobby based like we normally get. 

4. a Wuxia or Xianxia mmo, with crazy combat styles and flying martial arts combat. 

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    just ONE mmorpg so EVERYBODY is there... my esteem is raised by huge populations
    it is imperative that I know that what I like is popular
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Cyberpunk with alien species where you explore planets that were once inhabited by ancient civilizations.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    You're walking along the beach and you come across a corked bottle.  You pick it up, pop the cork and give it a little rub, then out comes a Genie (not a very attractive one, so don't get any ideas).  

The Genie grants one wish.... "Summarize how your dream mmoprg would be and I'll grant your wish" 

Mine would be a baby born from the melding of Pirates of the Burning Seas and Mount & Blade Warband. Keep the whole look of PotBS, its ship battles and economy and factions but make its melee combat on land and ships that of M&B:W.

ikcin said:
    AAAMEOW said:

That amazes me every time - to want a multiplayer game where the NPCs act like humans - so you want the NPCs to kill your character, loot your character, insult you, steal your mobs, interrupt your solo grinding, I highly doubt. Why anybody will ask to play a MMO, if he does not want to play with other people?

The fact that you view this as "Normal Human Behavior" shows the kind of player you are and the kind of games you get involved in, where I view that kind of behavior as depraved borderline sociopath.

ikcin said:
    Ungood said:
    The fact that you view this as "Normal Human Behavior" shows the kind of player you are and the kind of games you get involved in, where I view that kind of behavior as depraved borderline sociopath.
    The only person who insults here is you, it seems you are an aggressive person with inferiority complex, because you claim you are a nice human been, but act at exactly the opposite way. In the psychology this is actually a typical behavior for a sociopath. So do not claim I'm like you please, because I'm not.

This comes from someone that thinks it's normal to unprovoked attack and kill other players, then ridicule them. Someone that thinks what is normal is to kill steal, and disrupt other players game.  You are nothing like me, you seem to think that your childish depraved social maladjusted behavior is normal.

Nyctelios said:
    ...Or Star Citizen be released with all promises fulfilled. :shrugs:
    ....now that would take a Genie. 

edited February 2018
    ikcin said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    People have conflict interest between their real life and mmorpg life.  You don't actually live in mmorpg 24/7.  A mmorpg player won't play the mmorpg like it is their second life.  

A mmorpg player won't be able to open a store 24/7 and sit there.  A mmorpg player won't felt it is obliged to play the game forever because he is the emperor of the kingdom.  

A mix of real life players and NPC is better to keep the integrity of making things like Sword art online or west world a reality.  Because a mmorpg player won't be to keep the integrity of the world like it is their second life.

L2 - a player can open a store and keep it 24/7 - that made Giran so amazing city. L2 - the clan leader feels obligated to hundreds of other players, it is a real life issue when a leader of a big clan wants to have a real life :) The MMOs actually do not need NPCs. And players do not need to live in games. With the right set of rules, you can have an immersive world only with players involved. What is more immersive than the reality? Is there NPCs?
    Well this post pretty much says a genie would make any mmorpg come true.  And conceptually I said what I want.  I want to play sword art online, log horizon, or west world.  If there are no npc, that is fine.  Just make everyone stuck in the game that they can never go out.

The reason I say I want NPC is because NPC will behave like there isn't another world so a break from our reality.  I think kind of like the anime hai to gensou no grimar.  People pretty much forget about anything in their real life and just live in the game.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Well, here's a new idea.  How about: players have a special ability that NPCs don't have (except for a few NPCs which are faux players).  Perhaps players are all one species and NPCs are all a different species.  So, NPCs all want to partner up with a player to get the benefit of this special ability.  As a result NPCs regularly make 'courtship gestures' toward players.  The game keeps track of your relationship score with each NPC, like it's a dating sim or one of those Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley games.  This is affected by your relationship with that NPC's faction, but separate from the faction relationship.
    Cryomatrix
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • Pr3sid3ntSkr00bPr3sid3ntSkr00b Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I’d ask for everything they have promised in Star citizen w/o the $10,000 p2w stuff. N maybe a sub fee to keep the community a lil better. 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    Um, didn't the OP create this same thread last week too?