Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which IP would make the best MMO

123457»

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    HUmm... Generally i am not sure a existing IP that is not a game makes for a good MMO.. While Lotr:o seems to have a small but loyal base of players. It has to me always felt way too small scale wise. That is something i think would be an issue with anything with a pre-existing world... 

I guess Williams "Otherland" setting would get around that... But it would be very.. as we say in Sweden.. "spretigt" too bristly.. Not enough connective tissue. 

Heck.. If half of Manhattan was the best the division could muster.. I do not even think a proper Marvel MMO would be doable... But if one is to do... I guess some Inhuman/Terrigen mist could explain it. =P 

But to get back to the topic....

I would love a good Transformers MMO.. No freaking idea how it would be done... But it would be cool.  

This have been a good conversation

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    DMKano said:
    Dakeru said:
    DMKano said:
    Dakeru said:
    A good IP is in no way a guarantee to build "the best mmo"
    Exactly. Gameplay trumps everyhing.
    You two should go to your favorite game's cash shop and purchase a +10 potion of reading comprehension.
    I'm pretty sure I read everything correctly.
    And your random attacks are dull and tell me that you suffer from a lot of self hatred.
    He asked for opinions about what IP people think would make the best MMO, not you or Kano's uninformed pseudo-theories about what makes successful games.

Get a clue.

Yeah - someone asks for an opinion what color of a car makes the best car.

Maybe telling that person the color is not what makes the car best is something that is worth bringing up?

Hmm.....
    Wrong.  The OP did not ask about what makes the game best.  His question was specific to story.

"If you could pick a story and background for a new MMO what would you want to see?? My personal top 5 would probably be something like that ;"
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I think that if the story is going to be important to the MMORPG, then use a real story as the basis of the game world, like LotRO did.  Let the main story be something the players aren't directly involved in.

There are numerous SF&F classic novels that would work wonderfully to support this concept.  My favorite might be Ringworld or Niven's Known Space.  I'd love to see a new story line set in this universe, maybe 150 years after Ringworld, the novel, when humans are just beginning to exploit this new world.  How do the ancient civilizations on Ringworld react to these newcomers?  Are the Kzin really cooperating after such a long history of warfare?  Are the Puppeteers really trying to build their own Ringworld?  Lots of story to follow, and lots of scope for players to roam around ignoring the main events.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Do you not find Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance extremely generic?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the books and have read nearly every one of Salvatores FR books, but the actually settings all seem like very generic high fantasy to me. There is nothing really that stands out about them, the enjoyment is more from the personal narratives of the main characters in the books. Thats not to say I wouldn't want an MMO in either of those spaces, if done right, I just don't think the IP alone would bring in that many people. 

EDIT: I should also say I feel very much the same about Game of Thrones as an IP for an MMO. The actual world is pretty boring, it's pretty much just 10th century Earth with added white walkers and a few dragons. The book's appeal is the scope of the world politics, whilst the TV show's appeal is just glorified drama. Neither of those things would be well replicated in an MMO as all the magic of the IP only happens to a select few individuals at the top of the political hierarchy. Your average joe in GoT leads a pretty mundane life. Only way I could see it working is if guilds worked like houses so you could at least engage in plot-shifting politics at a guild level. 
    They weren't when they came out, but Forgotten realms have certainly been copied many times.. badly. It still have some rather intersting aspects but it have just been copied so many times it do feel rather generic by now. However more then a few of the areas in it are pretty good, it is just that we seen so many copies of the Swordcoast and Cormyr that they take the spotligght.

Dragonlance is actually rather different and a bit darker. The thing most stolen from it are the gnomes and they got tiresome already in the early books.

And yes, GoT is mainly about plotting and politics which may be a weak thing for a MMO, at least for one with current mechanics. I rather see "the Night angel books" as a MMO then GoT myslef. It is low fantasy as well but have much more potential for the players. Or "The name of the wind" for that matter, it is a bit more towards high fantasy then the other 2 but far less then any MMO I seen.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I also think that Tad Williams should of done Dragonbone chair into an MMO instead of Otherworld ...

Dragonbone Chair is a classic in a fantastic world , barley rivaled by any imo
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    How about any MMO without microtransactions and loot boxes.

Blaze_RockerScot

Let's party like it is 1863!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    First post here! How about say, Macross or Super Robot Wars?

Welcome to the boards! I think we have had some mech MMO's but not sure how MMOish they were. :)
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited February 2018
    Once again......Robotech
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The Dresden Files
    immoralthang

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    edited February 2018
    With SWTOR all but confirmed to be in maintenance mode, I’d like a new MMO set between Episode 6 and 7. Non-instanced planets, robust crafting, player run economy, space combat, and deep character customization.

Base-building/survival games are pretty popular and I know a new game could take those elements and make something special.
  • Zeppel80Zeppel80 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    I'd say Supernatural. You wouldn't play as Sam or Dean, but as a Hunter.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    The more I think about this, the more I think it does not matter.  Different people have different tastes, but a big reason why these questions are being asked is because immersion in MMORPGs is dead.  Everyone is looking for that one IP that will give them an EverQuest circa 1999 experience, but it's impossible.

It's 2018.  No matter what IP you use for the MMO, the formula is largely the same.  It's completely telegraphed by our experienced in current and past MMOs.  It's different lore, but the same basic gameplay.  Also, the communities' insistence on Voice Chat/Discord/etc. is fundamentally immersion breaking in a genre that already struggled to provide it (due to the fact that Role Playing never really caught on in MMORPGs).  Character building is weak in these games, as well.  Story telling is almost always poorly executed.  End-game is a Queue-fest for most of them.

There are things like crafting and housing...  But, like I said... 2018.  How much of your IRL time are you willing to waste decorating pixels, when you need to clean your room?  Cooking pixels, when you need to make dinner?  Dying pixels, when you need to do laundry?

I don't think IP matters.  If you're burning out on the current quest hub games, then the best thing to do is simply stop playing them and hope the developers get the message and innovate in ways that invigorates the genre.  Simply slapping different IP on the same formula does nothing but give you another leveling treadmill to run on until you burn out again.

I think all MMOs out these days are fairly lackluster for these reasons.  I don't really think the genre will truly bounce back until it moves into areas like VR, but cost (for equipment for consumers) will be a significant initial hurdle.
    Blaze_Rocker
    Tiller said:
    Once again......Robotech
    Hmmm, that would be interesting and it would work in current gen VR as well.
    Darksworm said:
    The more I think about this, the more I think it does not matter.  Different people have different tastes, but a big reason why these questions are being asked is because immersion in MMORPGs is dead.  Everyone is looking for that one IP that will give them an EverQuest circa 1999 experience, but it's impossible.

It's 2018.  No matter what IP you use for the MMO, the formula is largely the same.  It's completely telegraphed by our experienced in current and past MMOs.  It's different lore, but the same basic gameplay.  Also, the communities' insistence on Voice Chat/Discord/etc. is fundamentally immersion breaking in a genre that already struggled to provide it (due to the fact that Role Playing never really caught on in MMORPGs).  Character building is weak in these games, as well.  Story telling is almost always poorly executed.  End-game is a Queue-fest for most of them.

There are things like crafting and housing...  But, like I said... 2018.  How much of your IRL time are you willing to waste decorating pixels, when you need to clean your room?  Cooking pixels, when you need to make dinner?  Dying pixels, when you need to do laundry?

I don't think IP matters.  If you're burning out on the current quest hub games, then the best thing to do is simply stop playing them and hope the developers get the message and innovate in ways that invigorates the genre.  Simply slapping different IP on the same formula does nothing but give you another leveling treadmill to run on until you burn out again.

I think all MMOs out these days are fairly lackluster for these reasons.  I don't really think the genre will truly bounce back until it moves into areas like VR, but cost (for equipment for consumers) will be a significant initial hurdle.
    I dunno, I don't think people in avewrage have more or less spare time today then in 1999. Most people who played EQ back then as young probably have less since many of them have gotten families and work (or more demanding work) when they have gotten older but if Facebook tells us something people still have plenty of spare time.

You are indeed right that using the same formula and a new IP wont really work though, It have been tried with IPs like Star wars and Lord of the rings and something else wont totally beat them using the same formula otherwise.

You do need to change some things, the question is how much you need to change. 

A time consuming social game is not a big problem as I see it, but the less social and more solo grindy a MMO get the less time will people spend in it over long time. Most people don't have a problem to spend a lot of time together with IRL or game friends but spending countless hours in a singleplayer game is far rarer.