Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something Mind-Numbing (In A Good Way)

MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
So I've been browsing my catalog and realized I have wayyyy too many choice and strategy-driven titles.  Like, all of them are choice-driven RPGs, MMORPGs, or strategy games.  I need to branch out.  Namely, I'm looking for something where the game isn't constantly looking at me going "So, what next?" and instead is going "Grab this gun/sword and start shooting/swinging!  GO GO GO!"

Anyone have any suggestions?

YashaX

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Have you played WoW?  Can't beat it as an on-rails MMO.
    MadFrenchie
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I agree with Torval but Bioshock's story does have an emotional impact and it could be a deep one. 

Serious Sam: this is the most mind-numbing game ever made. 

To add a few more: Prey, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Darksiders 1+2, Wolfenstein series--although last one turned out to be more like CoD and had completely lost the spirit of the game. And Battlefield 1. 

MadFrenchie[Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Thanks for the replies!

@Torval, any genre really, though I haven't enjoyed any good beat 'em up combat since the last Rock steady Batman game.  If you know of another, I'm definitely interested.

I've eyed Darksiders before.  How does it stack up against the God of War series?

@MightyUnclean currently subbing to WoW, but I wanna add something singleplayer or co-op to my library.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited February 2018
      I would suggest Hand of Fate 2 , you get your action and incredible replay value , with in-depth deck building , immersive story telling in a gritty world ..

http://store.steampowered.com/app/456670/Hand_of_Fate_2/

also Vermintide 2 coming soon .. which looks great ...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/552500/Warhammer_Vermintide_2/

or i will also add Wolcen:Lords of Mayhem

This one is in EA but is in great shape , with very cool combat , This has been a great ride thus far and if you enjoy Grim Dawn or POE and D3 , Wolcen will soon be a game mentioned in the same breath as those ..

http://store.steampowered.com/app/424370/Wolcen_Lords_of_Mayhem/

MadFrenchie
    I'm definitely giving Vermintide 2 a look, currently re-downloading Vermintide to get my feet wet ahead of the release.  Wolcen looks interesting, too.  I'll have to check out the Steam page when I get home from work tonight!

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    So I've been browsing my catalog and realized I have wayyyy too many choice and strategy-driven titles.  Like, all of them are choice-driven RPGs, MMORPGs, or strategy games.  I need to branch out.  Namely, I'm looking for something where the game isn't constantly looking at me going "So, what next?" and instead is going "Grab this gun/sword and start shooting/swinging!  GO GO GO!"

I know the feeling, haha. I just downloaded the trial for dragonquest warriors on my ps4 for that exact reason. Those dynasty warriors type games can be pretty good for some dumb button mashing fun.
    That was another question: action games such as God of War have always felt much better with a controller.  Is Darksiders the same?  I think PS4 controllers can be used with a PC, right?

I'm likely going to play a few hours of Vermintide tonight to reacclimate, by the way.  I know you might be in V2 closed beta, but if you're down, I'd enjoy playing with some folks in familiar with, rather than trying to jump in with strangers who are likely much more experienced than I am.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I'd recommend Dust: An Elysian Trail, or if you want co-op then Trine.

Trine games are on sale at gog.com.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The Division and Destiny 2, Homefront Revolution all good for story driven combat. ESO & GW2 for logging in to kill a world boss or two before bed.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

YashaX said:

I know the feeling, haha. I just downloaded the trial for dragonquest warriors on my ps4 for that exact reason. Those dynasty warriors type games can be pretty good for some dumb button mashing fun.
    Absolutely!  Sometimes I'm just tired of making decisions and just wanna enjoy some bloody fun!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I've got multiple options now to look into. :)

Shweet!  Blue hit me up about the WoW server you guys are on, too.  Rolled a lock there that's almost level 30, but I've just been engulfed in Kingdom Come and have been neglecting my WoW toons. :(

I love Warhammer setting, my only issue with Vermintide was they hadn't really fleshed out some of their systems yet (I purchased and played it near its release).  Reading about the DLC, it seems they've listened to that kind if feedback, and V2 looks to be an even better step in the right direction!
    [Deleted User]

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2018
    Oh my lord,sounds like you want to play a mindless ARPG,don't do it ,those games are total garbage.Every minute you spend in an ARPG is a minute you lost forever,i rather watch a tire deflate.

I still don't understand the "what's next"i only know of one game that doesn't have hand  holding all over it,so it's not like you have to think in any of these games.Even in Wow after a kill,Blizzard figured you needed to see some sparklies to click the dead foe,yep hand holding everywhere,there is no "what's next" in these games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Oh my lord,sounds like you want to play a mindless ARPG,don't do it ,those games are total garbage.Every minute you spend in an ARPG is a minute you lost forever,i rather watch a tire deflate.
    These forums just wouldn't be the same without your ray of sunshine gracing us every day Wizardry!
    Octagon7711ConstantineMerusYashaX

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Warhammer 40K: Space Marine. Its my guilty pleasure. Turn off your IQ and slaughter your enemies, I think its a VERY satisfying game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchieYashaX
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

lahnmir said:
    Warhammer 40K: Space Marine. Its my guilty pleasure. Turn off your IQ and slaughter your enemies, I think its a VERY satisfying game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I'm going to look into that one too, Warhammer. :)

@blueturtle13 yea I'm thinking I'm going to pick up V2 myself.  Reading about the changes from the original, it seems like they're expanding in all the right directions.
    [Deleted User]lahnmir

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    My avatar picture. It is free :)

Cryomatrix
    MadFrenchie
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Well Frenchie beings you seem to enjoy Warhammer so mauch ( so do I ) you may enjoy.................  Man O War .. really fun game and fits the criteria

http://store.steampowered.com/app/344240/Man_O_War_Corsair__Warhammer_Naval_Battles/

Scorchien said:
    Well Frenchie beings you seem to enjoy Warhammer so mauch ( so do I ) you may enjoy.................  Man O War .. really fun game and fits the criteria

http://store.steampowered.com/app/344240/Man_O_War_Corsair__Warhammer_Naval_Battles/

That's a pretty cool looking little game haha.  All the talk about the IP makes me miss the potential WAR had, though. :(

I've officially got enough new titles to look at now that I'll likely spend more time this next week on the Steam store page than in any game lol. :dizzy:

Thanks for the replies!

@Torval, any genre really, though I haven't enjoyed any good beat 'em up combat since the last Rock steady Batman game.  If you know of another, I'm definitely interested.

I've eyed Darksiders before.  How does it stack up against the God of War series?

@MightyUnclean currently subbing to WoW, but I wanna add something singleplayer or co-op to my library.
    Have you played Mad Max? Great fun in a good open world. Combat sort of like the Batman games. I feel the game is very underrated 
    Yeah Mad Max is a good game and direly underrated. You can also check out Just Cause 3, the hook alone can bring days of fun. 
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchie

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Torchlight. Hack/bash/slash/shoot just about everything. No choices except where to allocate points on level up and which gear to enchant next.  :)

Core game is boiled down to the essentials: skill stuff and take the loot. One town whose purpose it just for the player to sell/buy stuff and get/turn-in quests.  Then bam, back into the dungeons.

Bonus: it is one of the few games where a pet is not a high-maintenance bother. It will even go to town to sell loot for you while you continue playing in the dungeon.

There is a second Torchlight but I never played it so cannot comment on it.

Warning: if you have carpal-tunnel this game will be triggering it.
    MadFrenchie
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • Pr3sid3ntSkr00bPr3sid3ntSkr00b Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Path of Exile is awesome.  Destiny 2 has good action.  Warfame, people like it, I dont care for it but its popular.  Black Desert has a multiple layers of gameplay, but you can mindlessly smash stuff for weeks on end there as well.
    What did you end up playing French man? 

edited February 2018
    What did you end up playing French man? 
    I've been playing Vermintide to get ready for the sequel, and also downloaded Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn!

Torchlight 2 has been most heavily played, mainly because I created an Outlander (dual pistols with the duster coat type look) who has a ghost pet/comedic relief (at least, that's the way I "roleplayed" out the character at creation) named Ozzie who summons ghouls to kamikaze my foes in large bursts of putrid flesh and bone!
    ConstantineMerus