Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was the first game that BLEW YOUR MIND and why?

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited February 2018
     Easily   Ultima Online........... What an immersive world , full of danger and risk at every turn ... But with the learning and effort put in , the pay out was the most satisfying of any MMO i have played to date and still is ..

UO also still to date even on Trammel offers a more danger filled, mysterious, rewarding  world to explore than any other game .. imo
    DauzqulPhaserlightAmaranthar[Deleted User]
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Scorchien said:
     Easily   Ultima Online........... What an immersive world , full of danger and risk at every turn ... But with the learning and effort put in , the pay out was the most satisfying of any MMO i have played to date and still is ..

UO also still to date even on Trammel offers a more danger filled, mysterious, rewarding  world to explore than any other game .. imo
    I heard that game was indeed mind-blowing. Sadly, I never got to experience it.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (US Version).

I remember looking at all the colors and thinking, "WHAT?!? THIS LOOKS LIKE REAL LIFE!"

lol. /sigh
    [Deleted User]
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1. The twist at the end totally blew me away. I remember just sitting at my desk with my jaw on the floor stunned for a few minutes. I totally missed seeing that coming and when it played the "I told you!" montage, it all made sense.

I was truly blown away.
    Moirae

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Vendetta Online blew my mind within the first 10 seconds of launching from the station, back in 2003, in a way no game had before or has since.

...but you probably knew that.
    ScorchienLokero

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    edited February 2018
    Well, Myst I suppose.

IT was years ago, late Saturday night, around 11 pm. I was done composing on a computer I just bought from a friend. She had given me some games. I put in a few of them but they were "ok". 7th guest, A vector "tank" game that I can't remember, and then I saw Myst.

I thought, "what the heck, I'll try it and then watch a bit of Mystery science Theater".

Next minute I was hearing the birds chirping for the dawn ...

After that it was Doom. The first Doom, original Doom. You know "DOOM" doom.
    IceAgegervaise1
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    SWG.  Will always remember being a new character and having someone running up to me and teaching me all the universal languages.  Later a guy ran us out to the Tusken Village so we could grind up our characters.  It was a living world with people becoming famous for the crafting they did or the weapons and armor sets they sold.  I was awed by the world they had created.  Good times.
    Phry

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Warcraft 2. It was the first time I got to play against other people. After that, I never touched consoles again.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Gorwe said:
    Dauzqul said:

Define "Blew your mind".
    I imagine however you define "blow your mind".
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I don't know, I played many games before but I loved Legacy Of Kain. Just the intro done it for me I think lol. 

• SiniestrohSiniestroh Member UncommonPosts: 36
    This is a funny response Define "Blew your mind".
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    edited February 2018
    GTA: Vice City on PS2.  Was so young, I thought gaming had reached its pinnacle back then, haha.  Was the first truly open world game I ever played, and the first GTA I ever played.  The freedom to do whatever I want and go wherever I want really amazed me.  I remember playing the game 'Driver' before that, and always thought how cool it'd be if you could actually get out of the car.
    Phaserlight
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I am a late comer to video games on the PC was playing on the console before so Fallout 2 is that game.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Vendetta Online blew my mind within the first 10 seconds of launching from the station, back in 2003, in a way no game had before or has since.

...but you probably knew that.
    I would of never guessed that  Phaser:)
    Phaserlight[Deleted User]
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Doom (1993).

Wolfenstein 3D was one of the first free 3D games i played, but few years later i got to experience something that truly blew my mind. There hadn't been anything like that before and the games that came after Doom never gave the same feeling.

I could almost say that there's time before Doom (BD) and time after Doom (AD) when it comes to gaming.
    Sovrathimmodium
  • galphargalphar Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Dragon's Lair(arcade version). It was first "Animated" game. You could play it through multiple times and get a different story each time.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    This a real good question, and I have been playing MMO's and MUD's for decades now, and while I have enjoyed a lot of games, or various kinds, everything from AOL MUDs, to EQ, to Now BDO. Very few games really impressed me, even if they were a lot of fun to play.

For example, I really liked EQ, but.. it was not mind blowing, it was just "good", it was a fun game, but not impressive, it did not leave me with a feeling of Awe when I played it.

Same with a lot of games, while fun and enjoyable, and I played for months and even years, they were solid games, good quality, and fun. Which is about the best anyone can really ask for from a game. 

Or so I thought.

The First game that truly blew me away, was GW2

It was not just the majestic starting areas, the amazing landscapes, the captivating vistas, which they were impressive all of their own accord. But it was so much more about the game that the more I played, the better it was.

I would be walking along just looking at a map, and an event would start, the world felt alive, not just mobs and players, but the presence of dynamic events made the place feel active, things were going on and there was always something more to do. That along with I loved how the characters moved, they took a moment to move left or right, they acted like how a real person would respond, not some automated puppet at the end of a controller. It was all those little things that really made the game awe inspiring. 

The other game that Impressed me was Trove.

Now, this was a bit of a issue, I was not blow away from the start, in fact, it was how simple Trove came off to be, that set the stage for me to be impressed. Trove is a voxel graphic game and gives the illusion that it will be crudely simplistic because you can just log in and, start playing, no real complex issues to bog you down. But, as you play it, you realize this game has everything anyone could ask for in an MMO, all the features are there, all the things anyone could want from a game, Trove provides it. So, it's like, you walk in thinking this is going to be a very limited game, but suddenly lost in how deep the game really is.

That really impressed me.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Williams Defender - 1981 (arcade game) 

Faster paced, greater depth and more brightly colored than anything that went before. 

Phaserlight[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited February 2018
    Dragon Warrior

I was in middle school at the time I think. We went around designing our own monsters, giving them stats, designing weapons and armor, and playing a paper version we made up during class.

Was also the first game I remember farming/grinding in - farming golems mid-way through, and later on dragons, to be able to afford the various armor upgrades.
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Lords of Midnight because there had been nothing at all like it. Doomdark's Revenge was the followup and was even better.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Sovrath said:
    Well, Myst I suppose.

For PC gaming:

Possibly Myst (1993) yes. A custom 8-bit palette for each scene! 

Day of the Tentacle (awesome); The Settlers (1993); Sam & Max Hit the Road; and Return to Zork all released in 1993 as well. For "mind blowing" though: Myst. 

Earlier games? Wizardy 6 (1990), Civilisation (1991); The Secret of Monkey Island (1991)? Still Myst I think. 

Pre-PC maybe "The Colour of Magic" (1986) though .... That doesn't work!

Myst though.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Morrowind when it first launched on just PC. It was just an amazing world to play in. Then you would go to the forums and post your adventures for others to share. The game and community was really amazing those first months before it launched on Xbox. Then the community went in the toilet with all the xbox kiddies complaining they couldn't read the map and wanted horses and how come at lvl 1 they couldn't go inside the Ghostgate. TES games have went down hill ever since.
    JeffSpicoligervaise1
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Fallout, I guess.

I still remember playing the demo, the first town with one quest basically. Get rid of the bad guys or get rid of the good guys. On one of my playthroughs I ended up with an outcome where, all the good guys and the bad guys died and the quest was completed. Even though no one in the town offered you a quest to get rid of both factions.
  • SixliSixli Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders on the Atari ST.  It was the 1st time I had played an Adventure game.