Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hi-Rez to Remove Controversial Cards Unbound + Battlegrounds to Launch as a New Game - Paladins: Cha

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageHi-Rez to Remove Controversial Cards Unbound + Battlegrounds to Launch as a New Game - Paladins: Champions of the Realm - MMORPG.com

Paladins: Champions of the Realm News - Paladins Executive Producer Chris Larson has penned an extensive 'state of the game' letter for Paladins that addresses several key issues for the game and in the community. Most notably, Larson writes that the controversial game system that came with the Cards Unbound update will be rolled back in favor of a "new system that [he] believe[s] the community will be really excited about".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    So, Hi-Rez actually admits that Cards Unbound was a massive mistake. The fans have been telling them that for the past 6+ months but I guess they had to hear from their accountants to believe it.

But, fear not, Hi-Rez is moving from one game destroying update to another. Battlegrounds as a completely different game? Yeah, brilliant idea their.

Ask Paragon players what happened when Fortnite: Battlegrounds took off. Or whats currently happening to Fortnite: Save the World.

Or better yet, ask Global Agenda players what happened when Tribes: Ascend released. Or what happened to Tribes: Ascend when Smite released.
    ZenJellyNephethSpellshaper
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Battlegrounds as a new game = Paladins in maintenance mode and then shutdown after battleroyale game will gain numbers. Just like PvE in Fortnite. Grats, Paladins players!
    [Deleted User]ZenJellyAlbatroesNephethdjnj2000

Thank you for your time!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Yup, RIP Paladins. Fortnite team GUARANTEED they could keep Paragon updated, yet....RIP. Smite should be okay though since its been around for a while. Then again, maybe battlegrounds will fail since Fortnite and PUBG are currently dominating and they'll go back to Paladins, but Paladins isn't looking good that's for sure.

Imho, Hi-Rez should look into a full fledged mmo based on the Tribes theme.

They already tried that back in 2010, it was cancelled.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

They did say a year or 2 ago that Global Agenda 2 wasn't off the table, so never know.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Hi-Rez lost my respect when they abandoned Tribes: Ascend for Smite. That isn't a knock on Smite, by the way. I think it's a great game. But Tribes filled a unique niche in the market and was an excellent game in all regards save for balance and business model. It had a dedicated, significant fanbase, but they put it into maintenance mode the moment they had an even more successful title.

It was basically the same situation as Paragon and Fortnite. Except that it was worse, because Tribes was good and Hi-Rez did not grant the full refund program that EPIC generously offered it's players. 
    MadFrenchie
  • WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    edited February 2018
    Hi-Rez has the attention span of a four year old. They cry and swear they want to play with their Lego's until 5 minutes later you turn back around to find a half built space ship, pieces all over, and they're off watching Barney and Friends. And of course if you ask them about it they 'swear' they are still playing with that.
    [Deleted User]
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Wait! In a shooter game, they added P2W elements? LOL. I now wonder, how Quake 2 would of look like with some P2W items back in the days :)

Beside this, they are now following the same path which they did with Paladins , copying Overwatch. What will they copy now? My bet is on Fortnite , but they might come with some "pre-pre-pre Alpha" videos, showing us that they started working on it way before Fortnite was even announced.

BruceYee

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited February 2018
    Are they doing this because not enough people paid 2 win? and what happens to the money people spent to p2w?
    [Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2018
    So they created a scummy cash shop idea but NOW,you'll be excited about the changes.

That idea of leveling up via duplicates is how it works in Mobius and a lot of mobile card games,it is a huge feed on cash shop and a terrible idea.
    More so,did it take them this long to figure it out,no they knew it was a crap idea from day 1 but wanted to see if people would not complain.

My stance is one that if you tried to rip people off,then you do not deserve my money,do it right the first time,it is only common sense.

This is why cash shops are and always will be a terrible black mark on any game,quit supporting these type developers and hopefully they will go away.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218
    rip global agenda best game ever...

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

Xiaoki said:

They already tried that back in 2010, it was cancelled.

that wasnt an mmo, that was a  t1 vs t2 and imho a lot of fun.

Hi-Rez had 2 Tribes games.

First was Tribes Universe which was an MMO. Tribes Universe was cancelled and they released Tribes Ascend instead.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    "Many felt the system added a pay-to-win aspect to Paladins."

Paying to Level is always P2W, be it your avatar or your items.
  • Deadrites87Deadrites87 Member UncommonPosts: 94
    I actually enjoy playing paladins compared to overwatch. I also thought the unbound card system was a mistake. Atleast they acknowledge the mistake and are working towards a fix to it. It does worry me though about battlegrounds seeing what happened with paragon and fortnite save the world.
  • project6925project6925 Member UncommonPosts: 19

Scot said:

no P2W is paying to get something you Cannot get by playing the game And is better than what you could get from playing.

Paladin had Pay to skip, but never p2w, p2w would be if you could Only Get the lvl 10 cards by paying.

Ofc it is 2k18 and anything you dont like s #fakenews or #p2w
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Scot said:

I mean, that's one possible definition, but it's ultimately far too strict, as it essentially ignores the fact that level boosters in no way effect balance at endgame level.

My definition of "pay to win" is the ability to purchase a direct statistical advantage over other players at your current level. In other words, if two players of the same skill and at the same character level fight eachother, the determining factor should not which player spent more money on the game.
    TacticalZombeh
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited February 2018
    Aeander said:
    Scot said:

I mean, that's one possible definition, but it's ultimately far too strict, as it essentially ignores the fact that level boosters in no way effect balance at endgame level.

My definition of "pay to win" is the ability to purchase a direct statistical advantage over other players at your current level. In other words, if two players of the same skill and at the same character level fight eachother, the determining factor should not which player spent more money on the game.

I will answer you and "project6925" here.

There are various definitions of P2W. one persons P2W can be very mildly P2W to another player. Certainly I agree your definition of P2W is more grievous than what we seem to have here. As a side point though, may that not be what's happening here? You are buying a way to increase the level of items which you then use to give you an advantage over other players?

But regardless of the exact issue in this game, be aware that the people who produce them know that many players are adverse to P2W, after all that's why this thread exists. They artfully produce systems that are not directly P2W to avoid such labels being applied to them.

Now as a game producer you can do one of two things, you can except that P2W has to be avoided or you can try to find new ways to bring in in under the radar. Bringing in P2W in multifarious under-the-radar ways has been what we have seen in gaming (not just MMOs) over the past ten years or so. Indeed I would say the cards are an example of just that.

The P2W aspect is always given a sheen of respectability. Most commonly you can still get what you pay for in the game somehow. But it is more a question of how easily you can get it and how much you will be tempted to buy.
    BruceYee
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Aeander said:

Scot said:

In Paladins it is exactly what you described except instead of being able to buy direct power you gamble to up your advantage/cards by buying RNG chests. A person with a level 1-2 cards will have a significant disadvantage to someone with all level 7. That difference could mean that they survive a 1vs1 fight even if you outplayed them because of the boosts the cards give. I get why they decided to go the p2w route cause the majority of their players IMO seems to be 100% ftp and they just wanted to make some money but it seems to have blown up on them.