Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

12-Year-Old YouTuber 'Swatted' After Spike in Channel Followers - Fortnite - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

image12-Year-Old YouTuber 'Swatted' After Spike in Channel Followers - Fortnite - MMORPG.com

Fortnite News - A 12-year-old Fortnite YouTube streamer has been the victim of a recent "swatting" event after his channel followers spiked in a very short period of time. According to PCGameN, the boy, "Varady", was playing a match with Cizzorz, another YTer with over 800k subscribers. Cizzorz sent his fans to Varady's channel which raised the latter's numbers from about 400 followers to over 85k. Apparently this didn't sit well with some folks who called local police to initiate a "swatting".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I agree with Cizzorz -- whoever did this should rot in a cell for a good long while.
    sschruppAsm0deusAvarixDaranarGorwejarsku85wingoodValdheiminfomatzwandericaand 5 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    very shitty a very shitty cell
    SBFordjarsku85wingoodValdheiminfomatzBlaze_RockerMrMelGibson
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Its a terrible thing that happened, and those responsible deserve jail time.

But it also highlights why 12 year olds probably shouldn't be on the internet live streaming, as apparently he gave out enough PI for someone to identify who he really was and where he lived.

Its something I personally never do, and recommend most others don't either, especially while gaming, too many crazies....
    GolelornAethaerynForgrimmsschrupprojoArcueidAvarixmarcjt20djnj2000wingoodValdheimand 7 others.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    We play in a toxic internet environment that magnifies what you have in you, either good or bad. This is why we can't have nice things. At some point legislation will be passed to require real names to be used on the internet.
    iamspamicusRomulan78wingood
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If he is 12 years,i am as usual worried about the enforcement officer's and their proven very shotty lack of training.I mean do they do a single shred of research before slamming into people's houses,did they even look to see the victim was only 12,i wonder what the actual assault claim was if even warranted.
    However sadly ,i guess that shooting in the USA school was a tip as well even made postings on FB/Youtube and the FBI nor any authority chose to pay attention or act,so i guess i can see some concern either way.

I still have a foul taste over the last swatting incident where the cops did not act with any professionalism at all and seemingly didn't give two shits about another human's life,nor did that cop even follow orders.
    I think we need to seriously remember that for the past 200 years,kids and people in general under anger have always threatened others with no actual intent to do any harm,just a war of words but now a days it is a concern more because we can't trust our cops to act properly or with any apparent training.
    iamspamicusRomulan78ManWithNoTan[Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am glad the little guy is ok.Or is he,none of us know if this did anything to the kids mental state,we don't if the cops came rushing in and scared the kid half to death,maybe even pulled guns on him,we don't know.

SBFordBruceYeeklash2def

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Terrible thing to happen, no doubt about that.

Though I would not mind a harmless squatting on my home to get my sub to 80k... (feels bad)
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124
    What the hell is swatting?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited February 2018
    Fortnite is a 13+ game, his parents should not be allowing him to play it. Also how did they find his address, again parents should be making sure kids understand not to give details out. That's one of the reasons there is a 13+ age limit.

We are reaching the stage where there may be calls for players of certain games to register with the police so when they get a call saying its a drug den or whatever they do not overreact!

Regardless of all that a stiff sentence called for, but doubt they will be caught.
    Gdemami
    Something you can watch a video on YouTube of the top 10 streamers who have been swatted live.

Apparently an occupational hazard and really highlights my point, never give out your address if public on the internet.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

When someone calls police to report a crime in progress on a person they're ticked at for one reason or another. It's filing a false police report.

Read the full article for a video to explain it and a link to an incident late last year where a swatting incident led to the death of an innocent man in Kansas.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Kyleran said:
    Its a terrible thing that happened, and those responsible deserve jail time.

But it also highlights why 12 year olds probably shouldn't be on the internet live streaming, as apparently he gave out enough PI for someone to identify who he really was and where he lived.

Its something I personally never do, and recommend most others don't either, especially while gaming, too many crazies....
    That is flawed logic. Like giving somebody hammer and expecting he or she will hit it with you. Problem is not with you giving the hammer but with the fucker who smash you with it. 
    Scot said:thats
    Fortnite is a 13+ game, his parents should not be allowing him to play it. Also how did they find his address, again parents should be making sure kids understand not to give details out. That's one of the reasons there is a 13+ age limit.

We are reaching the stage where there may be calls for players of certain games to register with the police so when they get a call saying its a drug den or whatever they do not overreact!

Regardless of all that a stiff sentence called for, but doubt they will be caught.
    That's a good idea,  create a database streamers and players can register on which police can check first just to see if it's a possible hoax and perhaps a phone number to call first before they rush in hard.
    BeezerbeezOctagon7711infomatzLayla_VMrMelGibson

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Anonimity call requestin SWAT team to storm certain location, lying about individuals living in that location. For istance telling police that there is a madman with a gun helding hostages. Police MUST investigate those calls and SWAT team are going fully prepared to storm the place and confront individual who is armed and dangerous. Any mistakes can be fatal. There already was at least one victim of this. 
    SBFordMrMelGibson
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Poor kid. I hope he was not too badly traumatized with any guns and such.
    SBFordKyleranGorwe
    Chamber of Chains
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Wizardry said:

If he is 12 years,i am as usual worried about the enforcement officer's and their proven very shotty lack of training.I mean do they do a single shred of research before slamming into people's houses,did they even look to see the victim was only 12,i wonder what the actual assault claim was if even warranted.
    However sadly ,i guess that shooting in the USA school was a tip as well even made postings on FB/Youtube and the FBI nor any authority chose to pay attention or act,so i guess i can see some concern either way.

I still have a foul taste over the last swatting incident where the cops did not act with any professionalism at all and seemingly didn't give two shits about another human's life,nor did that cop even follow orders.
    I think we need to seriously remember that for the past 200 years,kids and people in general under anger have always threatened others with no actual intent to do any harm,just a war of words but now a days it is a concern more because we can't trust our cops to act properly or with any apparent training.

I guess the only thing I would say is how much research do you do before jumping into the water to save someone? They are reacting to save a life. Taking them along they way doesn't add up of course. If there is no record on the house /address then what would they know? The police should NOT have information on who lives there and what they do unless maybe they have a record. There was likely nothing to research. That and a lack of time to respond to an assumed emergency doesn't leave time to get more details.

The training I agree with. They always need to get info when they get there as well. Busting in on anyone doesn't seem to end well these days.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Well, in a few years he will be able to buy an Assault Rifle to defend himself. Till then, I pray he makes it thru the school system.
    3domGorweSpottyGekko
    Kyleran said:

That's a good idea,  create a database streamers and players can register on which police can check first just to see if it's a possible hoax and perhaps a phone number to call first before they rush in hard.
    Great idea !, so now a drug dealer can just sign up to twitch . Come on guys you need a better solution.

We are all ears, please feel free to share your better solutions.

Besides, should police bust into drug dealers homes ready to kill? At least with this info cops could take a breath and scope the situation out with greater care than a call about an active shooter might warrant.
    MrMelGibson

Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Great idea !, so now a drug dealer can just sign up to twitch . Come on guys you need a better solution.

We are all ears, please feel free to share your better solutions.

Besides, should police bust into drug dealers homes ready to kill? At least with this info cops could take a breath and scope the situation out with greater care than a call about an active shooter might warrant.

I actually think his idea in the subsequent post is a good one, but still huge issues holding passport numbers online. It is always possible to get round systems that society puts in place to regulate anything.

That's why end of the day its down to the parents, if they had done their job he would not be playing and when he got to 13 he would know not to give out details.
    solution, every twitch user has to sign up with a valid ID /passport that is verified. Once verified that user is mailed  not e-mailed, a passkey  that has their photoid and personal passkey number. Each time the user wanted to log into twotch they must provide there personal passport or valid id number, along with the mailed passkey number. Then a twitch  representative has to parachute in and enter a 3rd code number fo rthe person to login. Maybe not the third part but basic
    Not a bad proposal but seems a bit too close to putting a "mark" on your hand or your head.

;)

Kyleran said:
    solution, every twitch user has to sign up with a valid ID /passport that is verified. Once verified that user is mailed  not e-mailed, a passkey  that has their photoid and personal passkey number. Each time the user wanted to log into twotch they must provide there personal passport or valid id number, along with the mailed passkey number. Then a twitch  representative has to parachute in and enter a 3rd code number fo rthe person to login. Maybe not the third part but basic
    Not a bad proposal but seems a bit too close to putting a "mark" on your hand or your head.

;)

Criminals would love the idea of game accounts having peoples passport numbers on them, but certainly you could up the checking from the virtually zero we now have.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

SBFord said:

I agree with Cizzorz -- whoever did this should rot in a cell for a good long while.

Isn't that too soft?

Dragnelus said:

SBFord said:

Isn't that too soft?
    How so?  A jail sentence for committing a crime isn't...enough? What do you suggest?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    SBFord said:
    Dragnelus said:

SBFord said:

Isn't that too soft?
    How so?  A jail sentence for committing a crime isn't...enough? What do you suggest?
    Dunno, I would ask the Dark Lady for this kind of stuff.
    MrMelGibson

Dragnelus said:
    SBFord said:
    Dragnelus said:

SBFord said:

Isn't that too soft?
    Dunno, I would ask the Dark Lady for this kind of stuff.
    I know when to separate my game life with real life. RP forum is...er...on the WoW site.
    ManWithNoTan[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯