Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Global eSports Expected to Rake in Nearly $1B in 2018 Alone - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageGlobal eSports Expected to Rake in Nearly $1B in 2018 Alone - MMORPG.com News

Newzoo has published an interesting look at global eSports in the coming year and in the next several years to come. The biggest takeaway is the explosive growth in revenue in 2018 alone which is expected to bring in nearly a billion dollars. eSports is expected to grow to over 400M viewers, up 13% from last year.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    The report also lists the Top 50 Games by Non-eSports Hours Watched in 2017. The top 10 include:
    IRL - I love this game. It's soooo good. It's about time people realized that life is a game :P
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    The report also lists the Top 50 Games by Non-eSports Hours Watched in 2017. The top 10 include:
    IRL - I love this game. It's soooo good. It's about time people realized that life is a game :P
    :dizzy: I know...I cracked up at that

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Meanwhile *daily* "scam" "ponzi scheme" crypto-currencies trading volume: $25 billions - or $9+ trillions annually (over 9000! higher). Just to put things into perspective.

Thank you for your time!

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    edited February 2018
    Esports is still a tiny niche. It does however provide a good gateway to the 18-35 male demographic with money to spend on gaming.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    3dom said:
    Meanwhile *daily* "scam" "ponzi scheme" crypto-currencies trading volume: $25 billions - or $9+ trillions annually (over 9000! higher). Just to put things into perspective.

Meh, that might be a bit of a stretch. Not only is the comparison largely irrelevant, but crypto currencies have actually out-performed some stock exchanges on any given day. So I don't know if there was ever an expectation that eSports would out-perform crypto currencies, you know, since they are outperforming all companies in a given country. However, eSports has actually outperformed some sports leagues. More specifically, it has out-performed the MLS. Granted, it's the MLS, but even still, that's not really an insignificant thing considering this is something that people thought largely unviable less than a decade ago. It still has a long way to go to touch the NHL (next on it's list), but it's doable since the NHL revenues are largely flat at this point, if not falling. 
    [Deleted User]

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Aren't they selling each teams "skin" 5$ per character?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Esport>game quality,nothing i didn't already realize.

Add in expected popularity and all the streamers help profit it even more.Add in all the cheats and it funds it even more.Good thing i choose games for the fun and not for superficial bragging rights.
    Seems the whole industry is doing a lot of bragging lately,talking about their big profits and big numbers,big year ahead,look at me look at me,um no thanks,those games can have their shallow players.
    On that subject of crypo currencies,does that not confirm we have a bus load of really stupid people on this planet?No wonder devs of late can make good money selling crap,tons of easy targets to sell to.

On that $5 note,yes even in Hearthstone Blizzard felt warranted to sell a really cheap Hero"picture",get this ,that puny little 16x16 pixel picture>>>your going to laugh 13 bucks !!

Of course i never bought one of those BS cash shop mini pics,but LOT'S did.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

Jacobin said:

Esports is still a tiny niche. It does however provide a good gateway to the 18-35 male demographic with money to spend on gaming.

It provides hope for children who will completely neglect their education (among other things) and long term planning to sit in their room playing video games in hopes of one day becoming a super star...

It's decent entertainment, but it has an effect far beyond what people see on Twitch.

Time flies when you're having fun. Before they know it, they'll be 25 with almost no on-the-job experience and no skill set beyond "entertaining themselves." Twitch is enabling this. It's the new way to "pan handle."
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Aside from that... whatever. I'm not really into it, and I find MOBAs, for example, exceptionally boring to both play and watch (along with RTS games like Starcraft II). Different strokes for different folks. I do think OW is fun when people aren't being idiots (which is the vast majority of the time).
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    This is something I don't think I'll ever understand. 

I still struggle to watch normal sports, let alone esports! I can just about sit through an F1 race, though I'm usually quite baked. I've been enjoying parts of the winter olympics, but mostly just the extreme sports and some ice hockey. But, watching a football match, or rugby, or golf......uggh, nope, bored to tears. If I lived in America then maybe I'd watch basketball or ice hockey, but probably not. 

Esports is even worse for me. I can understanding watching other people play from an educational point of view, just like I used to watch youtube videos about class builds, rotations, boss strategies etc. But watching it for entertainment?! Nope, if you've got the time to watch for entertainment, wouldn't you rather be playing instead? It's not like a normal sport where playing involves getting together a group of people, equipment, finding a space to do it, being at the right time of day. With esports games, just turn on your PC and login, job done. 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited February 2018
    This is something I don't think I'll ever understand. 

I still struggle to watch normal sports, let alone esports! I can just about sit through an F1 race, though I'm usually quite baked. I've been enjoying parts of the winter olympics, but mostly just the extreme sports and some ice hockey. But, watching a football match, or rugby, or golf......uggh, nope, bored to tears. If I lived in America then maybe I'd watch basketball or ice hockey, but probably not. 

Esports is even worse for me. I can understanding watching other people play from an educational point of view, just like I used to watch youtube videos about class builds, rotations, boss strategies etc. But watching it for entertainment?! Nope, if you've got the time to watch for entertainment, wouldn't you rather be playing instead? It's not like a normal sport where playing involves getting together a group of people, equipment, finding a space to do it, being at the right time of day. With esports games, just turn on your PC and login, job done. 
    I'm not sure what you don't understand exactly. Everybody does appreciate skill. Sometimes watching someone with a higher skill is more entertaining. I play Tennis a couple of times a week. But that would only make me appreciate Federer's skills even more. Same thing applied when I played Q3A professionally. I didn't watch others just to better myself, it was entertaining. 

And not just eSports. For example, I've played Bloodborne many a time. But I still watched a full playthrough by a streamer, because the way he talked about the game was entertaining. Kinda like watching a movie with a commentary, or reading a digest about a book you just read. 

Of course it is okay not to like something. But I think even you can find your poison! ;)

Watching others play doesn't have just one reason--or based on some of the comments here 0 reasons--people do it for several reasons and none of them sounds irrational or impossible to fathom. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung