Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tank

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited February 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Not many want to be a tank...... This only applies to true mmorpg's that are not overly simple like everything we have today, as of the last 5 years nothing matters. 

4 reasons: 
1) Usually boring abilities. 
2) Responsibilities, your expected to take charge and have tough skin to deal with the ass hats in a group. 
3) Your expected to pre-know the content.
4) Too weak to solo level like other classes. 

This could also apply to healers. 

A lot really comes down to pressure, most don't like pressure.  Most don't have TOTAL confidence. 

Solution to most: 
- Dynamic !!........ Make all tank classes fighter or ranger classes as they solo.  "Auto re-spec" when in a group. 
- Dynamic !!........ Make all healers mages as they solo, unable to heal self.  "Auto-re-spec" when in a group. 

Simply gray out and turn off tank and heal abilities when soloing..... Or....Dual spec like World of Warcraft.  

This would "greatly improve diversity needed in groups".  
Players with no intention of being a tank/healer would periodically play the roll :) 

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    But this was not usually an issue, you only need one tank plus maybe an off tank per raid group. Never a hugely played class, but not one that was lacking. It has been an issue in some MMOs of late I think FF has been mentioned? I can only put that down to the impatience of our locusts and butterflies. :)
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    They're are times I say to self..... I wish I could be a tank right now. 
    They're are times I say to self..... I wish I could be a fighter right now.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Solution : free reset stats or class change .

Honestly i miss games where you can be troll tank with super low DPS but totally defense , while people can't kill you , your hit and CC can make them sicken .
    Gorwe
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    Wasn't this issue solved like 10 years ago with dual specs / traits trees etc?

Your solution of auto-respecs / free respecs won't help anyway, tanks need completely different gear setups, not to mention different skills, than DPS so just providing them with auto-respecs would probably make things worse, forcing people to tank in inappropriate gear and with not enough experience of their tanking skills. 

Personally, I don't enjoy tanking much. I had an alt tank in LotRO that I raided with, my main in WAR was a tank, and my main in SW:TOR was dual dps/tank. The issues I have with tanking:

1) It can be boring to level up. Certainly when I leveled my guardian in LotRO it didn't have a DPS spec at that point so I had to level as a tank. It just meant everything took a lot longer compared to other classes (though minstrels had it worse back then). 

2) It's usually too easy in group content. You have two jobs - get aggro and mitigate damage. Mitigating damage is usually about gear and spec, whilst getting aggro is usually pretty trivial. LotRO was probably the hardest for aggro, but it was still easy. SWTOR was the easiest, my jedi shadow had a skill that boosted me to the top of the aggro list + 10%, and it was on a really short cooldown. Just made it ultra trivial to tank. 

3) I always felt tanks had the least control over the outcome of a fight. Assuming you have no problem holding aggro (I never did), you basically just have to sit back and hope for the best. If anyone else in the group is struggling there is nothing you can do to help out. The most you can do is pop some cooldowns to free up the healer for a few seconds. At least as DPS, you can off-tank if the tank is struggling, or switch targets to help burn down an add, or pop cooldowns to take the pressure off the healer. As support you can do a lot more. As healer you have the power of life and death and can make critical decisions that dramatically affect the outcome. As tank.....

The main reason I ended up playing tanks was because I was fed up of playing with incompetent tanks. Other people often made out that playing a tank was difficult and took real skill so I gave them the benefit of the doubt for ages, but after I started playing them I was shocked at how easy it was. 
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited February 2018
    I used to love playing tank, but in recent years I've crossed over to DPS or Medium DPS classes I could make slightly tanky. In GW2 I made my thief more on the tanky side with medium DPS and tons of evasion skills. It seems to work great for solo kiting big kills even if it takes longer to down something. At least I'm not as squishy and mistakes aren't nearly as painful. If I find myself over matched I can usually get away.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I played the tank class once in Neverwinter and actually liked it. If I were to play a traditional MMO again, I would go tank for sure. It is fun to be a tank. A lot of my class choices in PoE resolve around being a tanky character (that's because I play HC only) but otherwise, it is fun. 

I actually disagree with OP. I don't like the fact that all classes can solo and do everything. I like that you have to make a choice, it means that at a high level, people that choose the non-solo classes are more rare and should be more powerful. 

If I were to make an MMO, I'd have a number of class groups. 
    1) Solo-capable 
    2) very inefficient, but able to solo
    3) not able to solo at all

In group 2 or 3, the classes there would be super specialized and thus be amazing at their job. So a group 3 tank, is the tankiest tank ever. Group 3 dps is the epitome of glass cannon and must be protected at all costs. Group 3 healer is the best healer ever. 

Group 3 class > Group 2 > Group 1. 

Anyone in group 1 can off-tank but will be middling at best, in group 2, you can tank with a skillful tank, and in group 3 if you make it to level high, you can tank with your eyes closed. 

I take role-playing very seriously. You are meant to have a role that you play, you don't switch back and forth. It's like playing D&D and sometimes you are one char at lvl 10 and then in a flash you can be another lvl 10 character if it suits you better. Nope. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    For example:
    1) Solo-capable = Spellslinger (instant spells, able to dish out dps in a constant stream, no AoE)
    2) very inefficient, but able to solo = Mage (in between the two has both dps/aoe) some minor cast times
    3) not able to solo at all = Wizard (each spell is on a 10-120 cast up time but dps is insane)

With the wizard, it can't solo because it gets interrupted with things hitting it, but given 120 second cast time, unmolested, should be able to do sick dps. 

DPS goes like this, using random numbers to show:
    1) Spellslinger DPS 100 - instant spells, can't be interrupted - no AoE
    2) Mage DPS 140 - a mix of instant spells and spells that take 5-10 seconds to cast with AoE
    3) Wizard DPS 220 - each spell takes 10-120 seconds to cast, interrupted leads to failure
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I played the tank class once in Neverwinter and actually liked it. If I were to play a traditional MMO again, I would go tank for sure. It is fun to be a tank. A lot of my class choices in PoE resolve around being a tanky character (that's because I play HC only) but otherwise, it is fun. 

I actually disagree with OP. I don't like the fact that all classes can solo and do everything. I like that you have to make a choice, it means that at a high level, people that choose the non-solo classes are more rare and should be more powerful. 

If I were to make an MMO, I'd have a number of class groups. 
    1) Solo-capable 
    2) very inefficient, but able to solo
    3) not able to solo at all

In group 2 or 3, the classes there would be super specialized and thus be amazing at their job. So a group 3 tank, is the tankiest tank ever. Group 3 dps is the epitome of glass cannon and must be protected at all costs. Group 3 healer is the best healer ever. 

Group 3 class > Group 2 > Group 1. 

Anyone in group 1 can off-tank but will be middling at best, in group 2, you can tank with a skillful tank, and in group 3 if you make it to level high, you can tank with your eyes closed. 

I take role-playing very seriously. You are meant to have a role that you play, you don't switch back and forth. It's like playing D&D and sometimes you are one char at lvl 10 and then in a flash you can be another lvl 10 character if it suits you better. Nope. 

Cryomatrix

I disagree with my self..... What ?  

But my reasons mmoprg's are lacking tanks are still valid (boring, hard to solo, intimidating)  

Maybe my solutions are not very good.... That's the reason for the post, any suggestions ? 

Dual-spec seems the best, I could think of.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    If you tie the roles to gear more than classes you could achieve something like that.

For example, if sword and shield offered great defence/cc but minimal damage, while two-handers sacrificed defensive abilities/power for greater damage output, you could change your role just by swapping weapons.