Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prime Progression Server to Launch on March 7th - Rift - MMORPG.com

Comments

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Lost me at limited time.  Also the inclusion of souls instead of the old trees makes it lame.
    Alomar
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    IT is annoying there is an end of life, but realistically, that amount of time is when the player base dies off anyway. For Trion to call out players on that fact is pretty funny.

And to read people complain about the reality of subscriptions, goldmine.
    @Torval And there it is, before the server has even opened.
    [Deleted User]

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    It is the reality of subscriptions but it is quite another to know the actual demise of your server even before you subscribe. Also people don't want to sub to the current servers because they are F2P and have made changes that many don't like. There is a reason for the sub and going back to how they were in the beginning of the launch of the game is the attraction but not when you clearly give an expiry possibility to all your work towards advancing your character.

Yes games do run the risk of failing and your sub going to waste and the population dropping to levels making it impossible to play but knowing that possibility even before you play makes it quite silly for me at least to sub and waste my time, thank you very much

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Eh, not a fan of Trion post AA, but this does entice me more than anything else they've done in recent years. The original intention of deleting your characters from this server made me want to pass, but at least they've changed that due to the negative reaction. I still want to know the duration, at least ballparked, that they plan to keep this server up for before investing time into something like this.
    [Deleted User]
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    tawess said:

Funny how Blizzard has been asked for Vanilla servers for years, yet Trion beat them :P

Funny how Rift could not support at healthy population and had to go F2P with microtranasactions... Oh wait.. It was not funny... Just sad.

It has been said for years that Blizzard would look at classic servers only once WoW was in it´s sunset... And by and large... Wow is in that place now.. lo an behold.. classic servers. =P
    WoW did went from 12 mil players down to under 3 mil forget? lol. Just saying no mmo will keep growing, and stay like that. It's just ends slowly losing players over time. Population is healthy just not super money maker like wow.
    3 Millions in EU maybe. 

At this hour , (EU) 5:40 +1 GMT , in the morning, there are 4 servers High , 14 Medium & the rest Low.  That is not impressive , that is better then impressive on an Wednesday night ( Tuesday morning ).

I would say there are still around 6-7 mil active accounts as we speak and we are at the very late end of the last expansion. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    DMKano said:
    Torval said:
    Alomar said:
    Eh, not a fan of Trion post AA, but this does entice me more than anything else they've done in recent years. The original intention of deleting your characters from this server made me want to pass, but at least they've changed that due to the negative reaction. I still want to know the duration, at least ballparked, that they plan to keep this server up for before investing time into something like this.
    If they firmly commit to 1 year minimum barring server death, then I'll probably play at least a few months.

If they commit to at least 6 months - heck even 3 months would work for me.

At launch of Rift I was at max level in about 12ish days - and I wasn't even going all out (like I normally do)
    Why you support a company "playing" with their players? For you, maybe , but what about the rest who puts time and soul on the said server , only to find them self, "force-transfered" to a server where cash-shop p2w is at his best ?!

You would of been first to comment and bash any game which would of done that, but I get it. Is Trion after all. A weak company which you support blindly. 

pantaro

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    edited February 2018
    I like how everyone is saying that because the server is only planned to be up for a year it's meaningless. . .

"game servers come and go, but the Memories you make last a lifetime"
    ----Captain Sparklepants, moments before City of Heroes ended-----
  • BrasseBrasse Member UncommonPosts: 3
    We have a thread going on the RIFT forums for anyone who has questions not answered in the current FAQ (I will update it after Friday's livestream: 11:30 Pacific, twitch.tv/trionworlds).
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/news-announcements/501852-official-discussion-thread-rift-prime-coming-march-7th.html

Couple of quick notes:
    - the presale package is sold at JUST the cost of the Patron time included, so it really just gives folks a free tiger mount, title, cloak and portrait frame. Just a thank you to our players.
    - the souls available at launch will be quite limited! The souls that were released with Storm Legion and Nightmare Tide will be earned by players through gameplay when that content is unlocked.
    - the *current* plan is for the Prime server to run a limited time (currently estimated at over a year), as a progression server, but the Dev team is open to options if it is full of a sustainable population of players.

We're really looking forward to this. Internal gameplay sessions have been really fun!
    ;-)#
    Brasse
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

www.thebrasse.com

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    cheyane said:
    Why do they have to shut it down at some point?
    I believe they are using it as a testbed to gather information to see how viable (profitable) it will be too have a subscription server as opposed to a the free to play cash shop/loot box.

I am hoping that is it good enough they decide to scrap the endpoint and commence expanding on the subscription server.

However, this is all hope and supposition. I am no industry insider.
    [Deleted User]

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Was excited because I loved Rift when it was first released then I remembered that Trion sucks as a company now so wont touch this with a 10 foot pole.
  • Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192

Not a fan of them ending the server at some point. I say leave it up but I would assume they perhaps will if they get a good enough response from the community.

I had no idea that they would be ending the server at some point (Or thinking about ending) So people pay monthly for something that will just shut down, that makes about as little sense as toasting bread in the bathtub.

Looks like a pass for me.

• KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Brasse said:
    We have a thread going on the RIFT forums for anyone who has questions not answered in the current FAQ (I will update it after Friday's livestream: 11:30 Pacific, twitch.tv/trionworlds).
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/news-announcements/501852-official-discussion-thread-rift-prime-coming-march-7th.html

Couple of quick notes:
    - the presale package is sold at JUST the cost of the Patron time included, so it really just gives folks a free tiger mount, title, cloak and portrait frame. Just a thank you to our players.
    - the souls available at launch will be quite limited! The souls that were released with Storm Legion and Nightmare Tide will be earned by players through gameplay when that content is unlocked.
    - the *current* plan is for the Prime server to run a limited time (currently estimated at over a year), as a progression server, but the Dev team is open to options if it is full of a sustainable population of players.

We're really looking forward to this. Internal gameplay sessions have been really fun!
    ;-)#
    Brasse
    Thanks for stopping by Brasse (Community Director for Trion Worlds)
    [Deleted User]
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

SBFord said:

I still think this is such an amazing idea. Kudos to Trion for seeing the need and filling it.

It's all well and good, but I was interested (since i've never played Rift) right up until "Once the duration of the Prime server ends" part.

So we get this nice vanilla server, but after a while its ending so will have to hop onto one of the cash shop ridden F2P crap servers?! So what exactly is the point of bothering? What am I missing here?
  • KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233

SBFord said:

I still think this is such an amazing idea. Kudos to Trion for seeing the need and filling it.

What am I missing here?
    Reading more than the first comment perhaps? Start from this end backwards that was a few hours ago, nothing is set in stone yet with this server because it's going to depend on population.
    [Deleted User]
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    The big deal breaker for me is that classes won't be rolled back to era accurate balance/design. They want to leave things as close to live as they can get away with and still milk nostalgia money.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    The big deal breaker for me is that classes won't be rolled back to era accurate balance/design. They want to leave things as close to live as they can get away with and still milk nostalgia money.

I can see it now, already predicted this will not be a success, when that turns out to be the case fans will say:

"Ahh but if this set of rules had been used, or if we had gone back to this point or that point".

I do want this to succeed, but you can't simply turn back the clock and expect a miracle to occur.
    [Deleted User]
  • darren28darren28 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Torval said:
    So many people on the website have whined about free to play, now you have one of the last and best traditional mmos creating a subscription only server. Lets see who supports it...
    Who wants to go in with the days numbered already like this?  It's like they were intentionally trying to discourage folks from participating. 
    Why would they risk going all in  if no one is going to participate. They are taking a risk of having an empty server and thousands of dollars wasted ? 
    They're ensuring a portion of players won't try it by signing its death certificate before it's even born.  It's contributes to a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Every decision made ensures someone won't try or buy into an idea. Character progress wasn't persistent which was a deal breaker for me for a sub game. So that decision ensured I wouldn't buy in. That changed and since my character progression is persistent, like the Age of Conan and Daybreak servers, like every other MMO then I'm in.

Signing it's death warrant? You're basing that on? Because this very server setup is hugely popular with DBG's player base. It's where everyone got the reboot idea.
    Bro you are mentioning games that are dead so yes it is a death warrant.
    My free 7 day sub referral with other goodies http://www.swtor.com/r/vGSnnl
    Amazon has a much better deal for Sub price just search for this on Amazon
    Star Wars: The Old Republic Premium Pack

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    Kefo said:
    Was excited because I loved Rift when it was first released then I remembered that Trion sucks as a company now so wont touch this with a 10 foot pole.
    I think Trion does great job as a company, they just suck running archage. Rift is an aamzing game and support has always been great for Rift.

End of Nations, Devilian and Defiance would like a word with you
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Prob won't play. No EU server and chances are slim that at the end we can transfer it to an EU server.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited February 2018
    IceAge said:
    tawess said:

Funny how Blizzard has been asked for Vanilla servers for years, yet Trion beat them :P

Funny how Rift could not support at healthy population and had to go F2P with microtranasactions... Oh wait.. It was not funny... Just sad.

It has been said for years that Blizzard would look at classic servers only once WoW was in it´s sunset... And by and large... Wow is in that place now.. lo an behold.. classic servers. =P
    WoW did went from 12 mil players down to under 3 mil forget? lol. Just saying no mmo will keep growing, and stay like that. It's just ends slowly losing players over time. Population is healthy just not super money maker like wow.
    3 Millions in EU maybe. 

At this hour , (EU) 5:40 +1 GMT , in the morning, there are 4 servers High , 14 Medium & the rest Low.  That is not impressive , that is better then impressive on an Wednesday night ( Tuesday morning ).

I would say there are still around 6-7 mil active accounts as we speak and we are at the very late end of the last expansion. 
    Blizzard lost a lot players each expansion, and it does bring in new blood any expansion does but there are not at the numbers they was years ago. Blizzard stop reporting their number not to long ago due to very low numbers. Any MMO will never bring back the numbers they had before at it's peak. Don't forget very late end of the last expansion of the lich king was 12 mil or so.

What Rift is doing may or may not bring in new blood with this action. Hell the B2P was not a great idea. Is not new content, and on the live stream they was saying people want this. I am thinking what people? The old raiders?, the Rift team? or the investors who knows that part.

IceAge said:
    tawess said:

3 Millions in EU maybe. 

Blizzard lost a lot players each expansion, and it does bring in new blood any expansion does but there are not at the numbers they was years ago. Blizzard stop reporting their number not to long ago due to very low numbers. Any MMO will never bring back the numbers they had before at it's peak. Don't forget very late end of the last expansion of the lich king was 12 mil or so.

What Rift is doing may or may not bring in new blood with this action. Hell the B2P was not a great idea. Is new new content on the live stream they was saying people want this. I am thinking what people? The old raiders?, the Rift team? or the investors who knows that part.

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2016/10/4/13167592/world-of-warcraft-legion-subscriber-numbers-10-million

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Ahh forget it then
    Chamber of Chains
    Sorr y to go off topic, but wtf is this Crush crush advert on the side. The girl is fingering herself and clutching a breast ?

Topic : I hope this does well, cause I for one would like to get back to the basics of Rift. For me all of the new stuff is overwhelming. I liked the base game and core components, but coming back to the game currently  Iususally have to rebuild my class trees and relearn everything. 
    No idea, maybe it adept on your google search and show you stuff based on that? :open_mouth:

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Dragnelus said:
    Sorr y to go off topic, but wtf is this Crush crush advert on the side. The girl is fingering herself and clutching a breast ?

Topic : I hope this does well, cause I for one would like to get back to the basics of Rift. For me all of the new stuff is overwhelming. I liked the base game and core components, but coming back to the game currently  Iususally have to rebuild my class trees and relearn everything. 
    No idea, maybe it adept on your google search and show you stuff based on that? :open_mouth:
    I am not seeing anything like that too so your former site history must be to blame.
    BruceYee
    Chamber of Chains
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited February 2018
    Dragnelus said:
    IceAge said:
    tawess said:

3 Millions in EU maybe. 

What Rift is doing may or may not bring in new blood with this action. Hell the B2P was not a great idea. Is new new content on the live stream they was saying people want this. I am thinking what people? The old raiders?, the Rift team? or the investors who knows that part.

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2016/10/4/13167592/world-of-warcraft-legion-subscriber-numbers-10-million
    "Blizzard neither confirmed nor denied whether 10.1 million is the actual subscriber number at the moment but simply reiterated that it’s not planning to provide subscriber numbers any more."

Blizzard does not give out the numbers, I did check out where they got the info was from a forum post saying interview with Tom Chilton, and with a Polish gaming magazine Pixel asking question. I love the form post saying ( World of Warcraft @ 10.1 million subscribers [Up: Blizzard: This is a lie] ). Not taking away Blizzard Legion did good for them to bring a lot more people back to the game with out real sub from Blizzard. So it's not legit info.