Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prime Progression Server to Launch on March 7th - Rift - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,871
    Torval said:
    Yeah, it hits the live servers and I saw my EQ2 server (whatever it's called now) shrivel up. But to say that it's not popular or failed, then no I don't agree. They're both insanely popular with their fans and a big part of the energy around both those games.

I'm pretty sure both games have offered event time limited servers. Maybe they didn't do that for EQ, but they do for EQ2. People hop servers, like I said, for all the reasons I said, whether they leave them open or not. DBG does keep some of their servers permanent, but not all. They also have several generations of doing this under their belt now. It took DBG a couple times before they got it down and before their players figured out what they like. Let's see what Trion does.

I didnt say either one of those things , i have enjoyed my time there .   But , ok Insanley popular yes with a very small niche fan base left of EQ 2 and EQ ..

When Trion first anoounced it , ( before the closure info was out) i was all for it and thought that maybe they could have some sucess and regain a good standing with some lost fan base , partiuclarly if a P2P only server remained running and then they dbl down and got the go ahead to do the same for AA , but this ... This has my Spider Sense tingling and seems a new spin on Trions money grab technique...

We shall see
  • IceAgeIceAge Member RarePosts: 2,223
    edited February 2018
    "Once the duration of the Prime server ends (as yet to be determined)..."

Wait what? I mean sure, nothing lasts forever , but this? They could of announce "Prime Server Transfers" to "Normal" Servers at some point if it was no longer profitable. But at some point, not now.

Bad company is bad.

PS: Someone said that they "beat" Blizzard by launching this (Classic) Prime server before Blizz launching WoW Classic. I say : Never compare this 3rd hand company with Blizzard. Never.
    FrodoFragins

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Let's be honest, how many of us are going to play this prime server for long enough to care when it shuts down?  This is going to be fun for probably a few months tops, a filler game, until something else comes out that grabs our attention.  To say that you won't play it because you know it is gonna be temporary is kidding yourself that you would actually play this game forever.  I for one plan to enjoy it for the short time it will be hype :).  See you on March 7th.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,871
    edited February 2018
    Blackboa said:
    Let's be honest, how many of us are going to play this prime server for long enough to care when it shuts down?  This is going to be fun for probably a few months tops, a filler game, until something else comes out that grabs our attention.  To say that you won't play it because you know it is gonna be temporary is kidding yourself that you would actually play this game forever.  I for one plan to enjoy it for the short time it will be hype :).  See you on March 7th.
    Lets be honest , i would guess that a large majority of this community already has one or more max lvl toons on the Cash Shop servers ( which werent Cash Shop servers when we started ) So, Why would i want to roll a new character on this temporary new sever only to be moved to the same Cash Shop Server i already dont play on because of the Greedy Monetization Trion forced on me once ...

Fool me once shame on you ..... fool me twice .... nahh
  • BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Scorchien said:
    Blackboa said:
    Lets be honest , i would guess that a large majority of this community already has one or more max lvl toons on the Cash Shop servers ( which werent Cash Shop servers when we started ) So, Why would i want to roll a new character on this temporary new sever only to be moved to the same Cash Shop Server i already dont play on because of the Greedy Monetization Trion forced on me once ...
    For fun :).
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,705
    Throw me into the "was considering it until saw it was limited time" category. F#$%ing Trion. Just when you thought they were doing something smart....
    ScorchienAlomar
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • TaranxTaranx Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Got excited
    Saw the end of life part
    Posted this comment
    Moved on
    Alomar
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,116
    If you're going to pay a subscription why would you pay to play on a server that has no future, basically they will shut it down and all the money you paid to play would be better invested on a game that does not shut the server you're playing on to move your character off to their F2P servers. 

The argument that one may not play long in any case is not the same as you making the decision to leave. I can play and decide to leave but I will not even start playing if the server I am on is going to be shut down. It makes no sense really. Is this really the current trend ?
    Alomar

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 4,303
    kitarad said:
    If you're going to pay a subscription why would you pay to play on a server that has no future, basically they will shut it down and all the money you paid to play would be better invested on a game that does not shut the server you're playing on to move your character off to their F2P servers. 

The argument that one may not play long in any case is not the same as you making the decision to leave. I can play and decide to leave but I will not even start playing if the server I am on is going to be shut down. It makes no sense really. Is this really the current trend ?
    so is their plan to bring back players and then hope they stay when you shut down the server they want?
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    edited February 2018
    tawess said:

Funny how Blizzard has been asked for Vanilla servers for years, yet Trion beat them :P

Funny how Rift could not support at healthy population and had to go F2P with microtranasactions... Oh wait.. It was not funny... Just sad.

It has been said for years that Blizzard would look at classic servers only once WoW was in it´s sunset... And by and large... Wow is in that place now.. lo an behold.. classic servers. =P
    WoW did went from 12 mil players down to under 3 mil forget? lol. Just saying no mmo will keep growing, and stay like that. It's just ends slowly losing players over time. Population is healthy just not super money maker like wow.
  • LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Lost me at limited time.  Also the inclusion of souls instead of the old trees makes it lame.
    Alomar
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    IT is annoying there is an end of life, but realistically, that amount of time is when the player base dies off anyway. For Trion to call out players on that fact is pretty funny.

And to read people complain about the reality of subscriptions, goldmine.
    @Torval And there it is, before the server has even opened.
    [Deleted User]

• kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,116
    It is the reality of subscriptions but it is quite another to know the actual demise of your server even before you subscribe. Also people don't want to sub to the current servers because they are F2P and have made changes that many don't like. There is a reason for the sub and going back to how they were in the beginning of the launch of the game is the attraction but not when you clearly give an expiry possibility to all your work towards advancing your character.

Yes games do run the risk of failing and your sub going to waste and the population dropping to levels making it impossible to play but knowing that possibility even before you play makes it quite silly for me at least to sub and waste my time, thank you very much

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,140
    edited February 2018
    I will give it a whirl for sure.

I have no issue with the server having an end date because I will exhaust all the content before that happens anyway so it wont matter to me.

No way in hell I would be paying for subscription for more than 3 months tops - and this server will last for longer than that, so it's a good fit for my intentions.

I mean it's a sub only model - the players aren't going to stick around anyway - it's not a sustainable model - Trion knows this, so it makes sense for a server like this to have an end date.

IMO they should just delete the characters at the end - have a cataclysmic event that kills everyone in game.

The end.

pantaroDeadSpock
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,188
    Eh, not a fan of Trion post AA, but this does entice me more than anything else they've done in recent years. The original intention of deleting your characters from this server made me want to pass, but at least they've changed that due to the negative reaction. I still want to know the duration, at least ballparked, that they plan to keep this server up for before investing time into something like this.
    Torval
    Fortes Fortuna Iuvat

18 year MMO veteran 
    Retired PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,656
    Alomar said:
    Eh, not a fan of Trion post AA, but this does entice me more than anything else they've done in recent years. The original intention of deleting your characters from this server made me want to pass, but at least they've changed that due to the negative reaction. I still want to know the duration, at least ballparked, that they plan to keep this server up for before investing time into something like this.
    If they firmly commit to 1 year minimum barring server death, then I'll probably play at least a few months.
    [Deleted User]
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

It only took 3 people 8 words to rock Blizzard to its core.
    tawess said:

Funny how Blizzard has been asked for Vanilla servers for years, yet Trion beat them :P

Funny how Rift could not support at healthy population and had to go F2P with microtranasactions... Oh wait.. It was not funny... Just sad.

It has been said for years that Blizzard would look at classic servers only once WoW was in it´s sunset... And by and large... Wow is in that place now.. lo an behold.. classic servers. =P
    WoW did went from 12 mil players down to under 3 mil forget? lol. Just saying no mmo will keep growing, and stay like that. It's just ends slowly losing players over time. Population is healthy just not super money maker like wow.
    3 Millions in EU maybe. 

At this hour , (EU) 5:40 +1 GMT , in the morning, there are 4 servers High , 14 Medium & the rest Low.  That is not impressive , that is better then impressive on an Wednesday night ( Tuesday morning ).

I would say there are still around 6-7 mil active accounts as we speak and we are at the very late end of the last expansion. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,140
    Torval said:
    Alomar said:
    If they firmly commit to 1 year minimum barring server death, then I'll probably play at least a few months.

If they commit to at least 6 months - heck even 3 months would work for me.

At launch of Rift I was at max level in about 12ish days - and I wasn't even going all out (like I normally do)
    Torval
    DMKano said:
    Torval said:
    Alomar said:

If they commit to at least 6 months - heck even 3 months would work for me.

At launch of Rift I was at max level in about 12ish days - and I wasn't even going all out (like I normally do)
    Why you support a company "playing" with their players? For you, maybe , but what about the rest who puts time and soul on the said server , only to find them self, "force-transfered" to a server where cash-shop p2w is at his best ?!

You would of been first to comment and bash any game which would of done that, but I get it. Is Trion after all. A weak company which you support blindly. 

pantaro

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 742
    edited February 2018
    I like how everyone is saying that because the server is only planned to be up for a year it's meaningless. . .

"game servers come and go, but the Memories you make last a lifetime"
    ----Captain Sparklepants, moments before City of Heroes ended-----
  • BrasseBrasse Member UncommonPosts: 3
    We have a thread going on the RIFT forums for anyone who has questions not answered in the current FAQ (I will update it after Friday's livestream: 11:30 Pacific, twitch.tv/trionworlds).
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/news-announcements/501852-official-discussion-thread-rift-prime-coming-march-7th.html

Couple of quick notes:
    - the presale package is sold at JUST the cost of the Patron time included, so it really just gives folks a free tiger mount, title, cloak and portrait frame. Just a thank you to our players.
    - the souls available at launch will be quite limited! The souls that were released with Storm Legion and Nightmare Tide will be earned by players through gameplay when that content is unlocked.
    - the *current* plan is for the Prime server to run a limited time (currently estimated at over a year), as a progression server, but the Dev team is open to options if it is full of a sustainable population of players.

We're really looking forward to this. Internal gameplay sessions have been really fun!
    ;-)#
    Brasse
    [Deleted User]Torval

www.thebrasse.com

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,175
    cheyane said:
    Why do they have to shut it down at some point?
    I believe they are using it as a testbed to gather information to see how viable (profitable) it will be too have a subscription server as opposed to a the free to play cash shop/loot box.

I am hoping that is it good enough they decide to scrap the endpoint and commence expanding on the subscription server.

However, this is all hope and supposition. I am no industry insider.
    Torval

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

• skadadskadad Member UncommonPosts: 377
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:
    Scorch, that is DBGs setup with their EQ and EQ2 servers. It's working quite well. Since it's popular they always have a sub-only server open now.

Players don't mind hopping these servers. They're not Vanilla. They're focused on a specific theme and ruleset. They use the current engine and mechanics and modify class skills and functionality to match the theme or release. When the theme has run its course then they want to start over.

So the intent, at least if they're following the industry current, isn't to recreate Vanilla and "beat WoW to that punch". It's to reinvigorate the playerbase they have and had. When EQ2 time-locked servers reach their cap people go play a new reset maybe with some rule changes, maybe not. When everyone in this Rift server hit 50 and are raid capped in a year most won't stick around for nothing. They'll either want to reboot that or go play the Live expansion.

If people want permanent P2P servers in Rift they collectively need to show Trion the money. Gamers say they want something but their wallet actions speak differently.
      the players from the eq servers arent forcibly moved to a cash shop server , And it really does not work all that well , i have played on those servers in EQ2 they get a quick boost of players then die out in my experience , each time entire guilds moving onto and off together ..  EQ2 has Fallen Gate and Desert of Flames these servers remain  up so you can return when you feel like ,,, Big difference between that and forcibly shuttering server and saying Have fun on the Cash Shop server ..
    The first eq1 progression servers hade votes when certain conditions were met ( raidbosses killed etc etc ) to move along to new expansion. Newer ones have had timelimits for expansions. There is also one ( Agnarr ) that will stop at planes of power. No servers have caught up to live and died out before it there. EQ2 has Fallen gate that is timelocked and is currently on the kingdom of sky expansion with fallen dynasy adventure pack. In the beginning of march the Echoes of Faydwer expansion will be released. No eq1 or eq2 servers have caught up and merged ( yet ). They have died off as the expansions neared live. Quite telling that they are popular with the older expansions and as newer ones come they drop off, almost as if they were better back then? :P Could be rose tinted glasses, I dont know :D.
     Time limited prime servers with scaling does not interest me sadly, because I had alot of fun in Rift when it first released.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 3,880
    Was excited because I loved Rift when it was first released then I remembered that Trion sucks as a company now so wont touch this with a 10 foot pole.
  • Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 180

Not a fan of them ending the server at some point. I say leave it up but I would assume they perhaps will if they get a good enough response from the community.

I had no idea that they would be ending the server at some point (Or thinking about ending) So people pay monthly for something that will just shut down, that makes about as little sense as toasting bread in the bathtub.

Looks like a pass for me.