Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prime Progression Server to Launch on March 7th - Rift - MMORPG.com

Comments

• spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    This would be sick if they didn't close the server, basically beating vanilla wow to the punch but since it's not, I won't be participating. So close to a good idea.
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited February 2018
    I don't know why people are surprised by this, if you know anything about Rift, you'll know it's about bringing players together, rifts, zone events, instant adventures, etc., this is why you can server jump to join a friend on another server without transferring your server. 

This answers the question/concern that I had with the Prime Progression Server. Some players will want to stay on their server and not play on the Prime Progression Server. At some point, they need to bring these players together to join the rest of the Rift population. 
    I'm sure based on response to the server they will probably consider keeping these up as sub only servers and not force the move over to the F2P servers. I'm sure it's based on the actual number of people that want to use the server. I'll try it out when it launches and hopefully so will enough people to justify this P2P server. 
    This is also a possibility.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited February 2018
    This is Trion after all, and they're a lot that won't trust Trion for really good reason. They're other don't have reason then hearing a guy or girl on youtube or some other place but never really fact check them. Other problem here too is hard to convince Trion keeping the sub server. After all they're people that say they won't play Rift unless there is a sub server only for all time. If we learn anything about Paragon they're more people willing to say it then show it. Don't mean Trion should have 2nd chance for people that got really burn with them.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited February 2018
    So many people on the website have whined about free to play, now you have one of the last and best traditional mmos creating a subscription only server. Lets see who supports it...
    Who wants to go in with the days numbered already like this?  It's like they were intentionally trying to discourage folks from participating. 
    Why would they risk going all in  if no one is going to participate. They are taking a risk of having an empty server and thousands of dollars wasted ? 
    They're ensuring a portion of players won't try it by signing its death certificate before it's even born.  It's contributes to a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I don't know why people are surprised by this, if you know anything about Rift, you'll know it's about bringing players together, rifts, zone events, instant adventures, etc., this is why you can server jump to join a friend on another server without transferring your server. 

This answers the question/concern that I had with the Prime Progression Server. Some players will want to stay on their server and not play on the Prime Progression Server. At some point, they need to bring these players together to join the rest of the Rift population. 
    I'm sure based on response to the server they will probably consider keeping these up as sub only servers and not force the move over to the F2P servers. I'm sure it's based on the actual number of people that want to use the server. I'll try it out when it launches and hopefully so will enough people to justify this P2P server. 
    This is also a possibility.
    It may be obvious to current players, but the move didn't strike me as an attempt to retain current players, but entice new/old players.  Again, I would consider coming back to sub, but not when we already have a sunset date so soon.  Generally, the gamers paying subs aren't the biggest game-hoppers, because it always requires an outlay of cash for an entire month at a time.

Honestly, the monetization method strikes me as incompatible with the product being offered.  It seems tone deaf.

So many people on the website have whined about free to play, now you have one of the last and best traditional mmos creating a subscription only server. Lets see who supports it...
    Who wants to go in with the days numbered already like this?  It's like they were intentionally trying to discourage folks from participating. 
    Why would they risk going all in  if no one is going to participate. They are taking a risk of having an empty server and thousands of dollars wasted ? 
    They're ensuring a portion of players won't try it by signing its death certificate before it's even born.  It's contributes to a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Totally disagree, players not supporting a game or concept that they enjoy, leads to a death of a game. Also, compulsively buying or spending money on a game without doing your research, supports games that shouldn't be around.

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
    Totally disagree, players not supporting a game or concept that they enjoy, leads to a death of a game. Also, compulsively buying or spending money on a game without doing your research, supports games that shouldn't be around.
    I don't enjoy the concept of a temporary server for an MMORPG.  This ensures I won't give it a look come March.

I don't enjoy the concept of a temporary server for an MMORPG.  This ensures I won't give it a look come March.
    Well, this ensures that the server will be temporary. Trion is actually known for changing their minds on things, for better or worse. Money talks.

edited February 2018
    Well, this ensures that the server will be temporary. Trion is actually known for changing their minds on things, for better or worse. Money talks.
    Creating a temp server like this to gauge that interest is a fool's errand.

EDIT- case in point, count the number of folks solely on this thread who counted the temp status as either a detriment or straight up a barrier to them trying the server.
    Scorchien

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited February 2018
    Creating a temp server like this to gauge that interest is a fool's errand.

EDIT- case in point, count the number of folks solely on this thread who counted the temp status as either a detriment or straight up a barrier to them trying the server.
    I think there thinking and approach are two-fold ,

One they get you to pay 6 months on P2P Vanilla , move to the heavily monetized server hopping that % of the new players will stay and continue to play on the Cash Shop severs..  hence the Trap is sprung

Two , they realize that if the open a Vanilla sub only server , it would bleed there heavily monetized Cash Shop servers to death of pop , Leaving only the most heavily invested whales to complain on the forums to nauseum
    MadFrenchie
    Torval said:
    Every decision made ensures someone won't try or buy into an idea. Character progress wasn't persistent which was a deal breaker for me for a sub game. So that decision ensured I wouldn't buy in. That changed and since my character progression is persistent, like the Age of Conan and Daybreak servers, like every other MMO then I'm in.

Signing it's death warrant? You're basing that on? Because this very server setup is hugely popular with DBG's player base. It's where everyone got the reboot idea.
    The sunset date is the death warrant.  That's what a sunset date is for a server: numbering its days.  Again, I invite you to look back at this thread as an example of how that sentiment is shared by others.

It won't destroy this hobby for me, but I won't spend time building a character to be ferried off to a F2P game system I left a long time ago because I didn't enjoy it.

Scorchien said:
    I think there thinking and approach are two-fold ,

One they get you to pay 6 months on P2P Vanilla , move to the heavily monetized server hopping that % of the new players will stay and continue to play on the Cash Shop severs..  hence the Trap is sprung

Two , they realize that if the open a Vanilla sub only server , it would bleed there heavily monetized Cash Shop servers to death of pop , Leaving only the most heavily invested whales to complain on the forums to nauseum
    I get what you're saying.  And I get that there's more to it than just bringing in new players...  But you gotta think putting time and effort into something like this isn't done merely to retain the same number of players you have now, or to maintain the churn you have now, but to increase retention and alleviate some of that churn.  Slapping that sunset date on it like this does nothing to help that.

edited February 2018
    Torval said:
    Scorch, that is DBGs setup with their EQ and EQ2 servers. It's working quite well. Since it's popular they always have a sub-only server open now.

Players don't mind hopping these servers. They're not Vanilla. They're focused on a specific theme and ruleset. They use the current engine and mechanics and modify class skills and functionality to match the theme or release. When the theme has run its course then they want to start over.

So the intent, at least if they're following the industry current, isn't to recreate Vanilla and "beat WoW to that punch". It's to reinvigorate the playerbase they have and had. When EQ2 time-locked servers reach their cap people go play a new reset maybe with some rule changes, maybe not. When everyone in this Rift server hit 50 and are raid capped in a year most won't stick around for nothing. They'll either want to reboot that or go play the Live expansion.

If people want permanent P2P servers in Rift they collectively need to show Trion the money. Gamers say they want something but their wallet actions speak differently.
    Here's the thing: how do they show that in the current setup?

Merely paying an optional sub won't work, as their revenue is dwarfed by whales, many of whom will likely maintain a sub themselves.  What do you suggest that collective (if it exists) do to make themselves known?

Because merely joining this server won't help, either.  We all know it's not permanent as it stands, and the idea is to take those characters and send them to the F2P servers afterwards, which brings that group back to square one.  All it will say to Trion is, as you say, "they liked that temp server, let's do another?!?!"

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I think it s a piss poor decision, and something I will not be a part of. I remember when Rift was P2P , my wife and I adored the game, and thought  we ll never leave. Then the F2P came, we tried it and hated the way it was going. We from time to time check in , last a day or 2 and promptly leave. 
    I will not support this server, but would support a P2P server as would at least 20 people In a multi game guild we re in that all enjoyed it back in the day, and all left when it went F2P.
    DeadSpock
    edited February 2018
    Torval said:
    Scorch, that is DBGs setup with their EQ and EQ2 servers. It's working quite well. Since it's popular they always have a sub-only server open now.

Players don't mind hopping these servers. They're not Vanilla. They're focused on a specific theme and ruleset. They use the current engine and mechanics and modify class skills and functionality to match the theme or release. When the theme has run its course then they want to start over.

So the intent, at least if they're following the industry current, isn't to recreate Vanilla and "beat WoW to that punch". It's to reinvigorate the playerbase they have and had. When EQ2 time-locked servers reach their cap people go play a new reset maybe with some rule changes, maybe not. When everyone in this Rift server hit 50 and are raid capped in a year most won't stick around for nothing. They'll either want to reboot that or go play the Live expansion.

If people want permanent P2P servers in Rift they collectively need to show Trion the money. Gamers say they want something but their wallet actions speak differently.
      the players from the eq servers arent forcibly moved to a cash shop server , And it really does not work all that well , i have played on those servers in EQ2 they get a quick boost of players then die out in my experience , each time entire guilds moving onto and off together ..  EQ2 has Fallen Gate and Desert of Flames these servers remain  up so you can return when you feel like ,,, Big difference between that and forcibly shuttering server and saying Have fun on the Cash Shop server ..
    Soki123
    Torval said:
    Yeah, it hits the live servers and I saw my EQ2 server (whatever it's called now) shrivel up. But to say that it's not popular or failed, then no I don't agree. They're both insanely popular with their fans and a big part of the energy around both those games.

I'm pretty sure both games have offered event time limited servers. Maybe they didn't do that for EQ, but they do for EQ2. People hop servers, like I said, for all the reasons I said, whether they leave them open or not. DBG does keep some of their servers permanent, but not all. They also have several generations of doing this under their belt now. It took DBG a couple times before they got it down and before their players figured out what they like. Let's see what Trion does.

I didnt say either one of those things , i have enjoyed my time there .   But , ok Insanley popular yes with a very small niche fan base left of EQ 2 and EQ ..

When Trion first anoounced it , ( before the closure info was out) i was all for it and thought that maybe they could have some sucess and regain a good standing with some lost fan base , partiuclarly if a P2P only server remained running and then they dbl down and got the go ahead to do the same for AA , but this ... This has my Spider Sense tingling and seems a new spin on Trions money grab technique...

We shall see
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited February 2018
    "Once the duration of the Prime server ends (as yet to be determined)..."

Wait what? I mean sure, nothing lasts forever , but this? They could of announce "Prime Server Transfers" to "Normal" Servers at some point if it was no longer profitable. But at some point, not now.

Bad company is bad.

PS: Someone said that they "beat" Blizzard by launching this (Classic) Prime server before Blizz launching WoW Classic. I say : Never compare this 3rd hand company with Blizzard. Never.
    FrodoFragins

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Let's be honest, how many of us are going to play this prime server for long enough to care when it shuts down?  This is going to be fun for probably a few months tops, a filler game, until something else comes out that grabs our attention.  To say that you won't play it because you know it is gonna be temporary is kidding yourself that you would actually play this game forever.  I for one plan to enjoy it for the short time it will be hype :).  See you on March 7th.
    edited February 2018
    Blackboa said:
    Let's be honest, how many of us are going to play this prime server for long enough to care when it shuts down?  This is going to be fun for probably a few months tops, a filler game, until something else comes out that grabs our attention.  To say that you won't play it because you know it is gonna be temporary is kidding yourself that you would actually play this game forever.  I for one plan to enjoy it for the short time it will be hype :).  See you on March 7th.
    Lets be honest , i would guess that a large majority of this community already has one or more max lvl toons on the Cash Shop servers ( which werent Cash Shop servers when we started ) So, Why would i want to roll a new character on this temporary new sever only to be moved to the same Cash Shop Server i already dont play on because of the Greedy Monetization Trion forced on me once ...

Fool me once shame on you ..... fool me twice .... nahh
  • BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Scorchien said:
    Blackboa said:
    Lets be honest , i would guess that a large majority of this community already has one or more max lvl toons on the Cash Shop servers ( which werent Cash Shop servers when we started ) So, Why would i want to roll a new character on this temporary new sever only to be moved to the same Cash Shop Server i already dont play on because of the Greedy Monetization Trion forced on me once ...
    For fun :).
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Throw me into the "was considering it until saw it was limited time" category. F#$%ing Trion. Just when you thought they were doing something smart....
    ScorchienAlomar
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Got excited
    Saw the end of life part
    Posted this comment
    Moved on
    Alomar
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    If you're going to pay a subscription why would you pay to play on a server that has no future, basically they will shut it down and all the money you paid to play would be better invested on a game that does not shut the server you're playing on to move your character off to their F2P servers. 

The argument that one may not play long in any case is not the same as you making the decision to leave. I can play and decide to leave but I will not even start playing if the server I am on is going to be shut down. It makes no sense really. Is this really the current trend ?
    Alomar

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    kitarad said:
    If you're going to pay a subscription why would you pay to play on a server that has no future, basically they will shut it down and all the money you paid to play would be better invested on a game that does not shut the server you're playing on to move your character off to their F2P servers. 

The argument that one may not play long in any case is not the same as you making the decision to leave. I can play and decide to leave but I will not even start playing if the server I am on is going to be shut down. It makes no sense really. Is this really the current trend ?
    so is their plan to bring back players and then hope they stay when you shut down the server they want?
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited February 2018
    tawess said:

Funny how Blizzard has been asked for Vanilla servers for years, yet Trion beat them :P

Funny how Rift could not support at healthy population and had to go F2P with microtranasactions... Oh wait.. It was not funny... Just sad.

It has been said for years that Blizzard would look at classic servers only once WoW was in it´s sunset... And by and large... Wow is in that place now.. lo an behold.. classic servers. =P
    WoW did went from 12 mil players down to under 3 mil forget? lol. Just saying no mmo will keep growing, and stay like that. It's just ends slowly losing players over time. Population is healthy just not super money maker like wow.