Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your three favorite cities in the mmorpgs you have played?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Scot said:
    Has anyone noticed how few MMOs from the last 5 years are on this thread? We are not talking gameplay or cash shops, just cities. If they were from more recent MMOs they were still large open worlds, that's what makes for cities we remember.
    It's all just nostalgia and rose colored glasses, there was clearly nothing different, special or better in older MMORPGs, its all in your head.

;)
    ScotOctagon7711Viper482Dauzqul

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Hebian To in Asheron's Call.  Asian style buildings surrounding a square.  Vendors easy to get to.  Nice atmosphere.  Simple and elegant.  I was in the minority.  Most people preferred to hang out in the poorly disigned cities of ugly stone buildings of the Aluvian cultures.

Hobbiton in Lord of the Rings Online.  Because Hobbits.
    The last homely house.  Lord of the Rings Online

Cities I didn't like:  Any city built on platforms especially in trees.  Which means almost every other elf city ever made.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Kaladim/Everquest for notalgia reasons.
    Ul'dah/FFXIV which was nicely done imo and I still remember it.

But I was never really a city guy in MMOs. Nice as trade hub and so on, but litte adventure to be found there. I preferred long dungeon crawls.
    Cryomatrix
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    GW2 cities are the only ones that feel to scale like a real city would be.  The rest feel more like instanced lobbies and hamlets with few npc's and even fewer PC's.

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Pandaemonium - Aion
    Rata Sum - Guild Wars 2
    Lion's Arch - Guild Wars 2
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    All from Runescape:

1. Meiyerditch - a super-dense slum of humans being farmed for blood by their vampire overlords.

2. Keldagrim - the Dwarven capital and one of the few realistic depictions of Dwarven cities I've seen in MMOs (i.e. no giant pools of red hot lava).

3. Tree Gnome Stronghold - built inside a giant hollow tree, with additional sections on platforms built in its branches and on its child trees.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited February 2018
    Lineage 2: Talking Island Village

Aion: Sanctum

Everquest 2: Qeynos
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Yew - Ultima Online
    Freeport - EverQuest
    IronForge - World of Warcraft... I have to add that as a new player in 2005, when you first reach Iron Forge from the Elven or Dwarven areas; it's amazing.
    [Deleted User]
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    1: Kelethin, EverQuest 1
    2: Paragon City, City of Heroes
    3: Marleybone, Wizard101

Lots of good cities mentioned, too. I agree, @Ungood that whoever put Rivervale right next to Kithicor was a very bad man :)
    Ungood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Lytelthorpe

Stonehold

Glenden woods
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    1. Bespin. Imperial City on Tatooine. SWG
    2. Lok N Load. Player Made City. SWG
    3. Anchorhead. Rebel Scum City. SWG

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Poeta - Aion (more like a village but I loved the place)
    Mos Eisley - SWG
    Aden - Lineage 2

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Mos Eisley- SWG
    Theed- SWG
    Old Lions Arch- GW2
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Altdorf, Inevitable City - Warhammer Online

Undercity, Stormwind - World of Warcraft

Divinity's Reach, Rata Sum - Guild Wars 2

Kaineng City - Guild Wars 1

Prontera - Ragnarok Online

I can't believe after all those years I still couldn't find any other mmorpg with better aesthetics than Warhammer Online.  Altdorf is by far the best city I've ever seen in any mmorpg. On top of that, all those armor and weapon designs took my breath away.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Nepheth said:

I can't believe after all those years I still couldn't find any other mmorpg with better aesthetics than Warhammer Online.  Altdorf is by far the best city I've ever seen in any mmorpg. On top of that, all those armor and weapon designs took my breath away.

That's more than 3 lol
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Tiller said:
    Nepheth said:

That's more than 3 lol
    Well, I couldn't stop myself lol. I don't know  Altdorf is by far the best for me. But I don't think I can choose the second and the third from the others :lol:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Has anyone noticed how few MMOs from the last 5 years are on this thread? We are not talking gameplay or cash shops, just cities. If they were from more recent MMOs they were still large open worlds, that's what makes for cities we remember.
    It's all just nostalgia and rose colored glasses, there was clearly nothing different, special or better in older MMORPGs, its all in your head.

;)
    The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be – Marcel Pagnol.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    edited February 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

;)
    but if you think about it, there is mention of cities from more contemporary games.

Black Desert, Guild Wars 2 and Aion were all mentioned.

Additionally, it probably has less to do with certain games being made before a certain time (and therefore "better" and therefore "nostalgia") and more to do with the games that players on this site have actually played.

Given that there seems to be a leaning for "older games" among a good many of this forum's "residents" I imagine that those who are listing older games probably played the older games quite a bit. They might not have played many of the newer games or played them "a lot". So no real reason to list their cities as "favorites".

Ungood
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    i think my biggest gripe with cities in alot of the games are that they're more like settlements rather than cities. alot of them look great but they're pretty small when you take a moment and really look at them. 
    AlBQuirky

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

;)
    but if you think about it, there is mention of cities from more contemporary games.

Additionally, it probably has less to do with certain games being made before a certain time (and therefore "better" and therefore "nostalgia") and more to do with the games that players on this site have actually played.

Given that there seems to be a leaning for "older games" among a good many of this forum's "residents" I imagine that those who are listing older games probably played the older games quite a bit. They might not have played many of the newer games or played them "a lot". So no real reason to list their cities as "favorites".

It's also harder to impress people over time.

The First MMO someone plays could captivate them for years, and they are just awe struck by the world they are playing in.

Their 10th MMO, and they trying to figure out how this is better/different the last 6 MMO's they played, so it's harder to impress them.

In that front, I find it to be a testament to a games quality and ability to impress, when I see a list that started with a place out of UO and ends with a city in GW2, for example.
    CryomatrixOctagon7711a_KittehAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AceeedAceeed Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Calpheon - BDO
    Marianople - Archeage
    Lion's Arch - GW2

In general I like the cities in GW2 because of the nice touches they added like kids running around making fun of past and current events.  I also like ESO because of the local gossip you hear when you go into town and how the NPCs will even comment on your achievements.  
    a_Kitteh

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Limsa Lominsa - FFXIV Both V1.0 and ARR
    Windurst - FFXI
    Divinity’s Reach - GW2
    BrimstonelovThebeasttt
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    edited February 2018
    ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:

So you claim the newer games are better? Like BDO is better than L2. Or you are just talking about the graphics?

"Also obviously the people cannot appreciate something they have no idea about. So yes, indeed, they point the games, they have played."

This is what I said given what was said before so why the "heck" are you reading anything more into it?
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    Cryomatrix
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    GW2 cities are the only ones that feel to scale like a real city would be.  The rest feel more like instanced lobbies and hamlets with few npc's and even fewer PC's.
    Black Desert online set the bar on that front, though some GW2 cities came close.