Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prime Progression Server to Launch on March 7th - Rift - MMORPG.com

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Why do they have to shut it down at some point?
    YashaX
    Chamber of Chains
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2018
    cheyane said:
    To do it all over again and sell more packs ontop of subs probably. Patches and stuff have always been Trion's opportunity to push their packs. This just lets them do it without having to put out anything new.
    Nepheth
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    They should at least add intensives for playing on these servers if they insist on shutting them down eventually, like rewards for getting a max level character each time or completing the main story line, even if the rewards are only cosmetic. Then it would be a lot like leagues and seasons in D3 and PoE.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Yea not so much about rushing just to get gear that will be deleted when the server shuts down.   Not interested in the game anymore.  

Alomar
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Albatroes said:
    cheyane said:
    To do it all over again and sell more packs ontop of subs probably. Patches and stuff have always been Trion's opportunity to push their packs. This just lets them do it without having to put out anything new.
    Many people will be totally turned off by this idea. Why should I invest any time on this damn server if they intend to foist me off to the F2P ones ?
    CoolitkitaradAlomarMrMelGibson
    Chamber of Chains
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    This sounds like a much better deal than the last time they announced details. They listened to community feedback and made changes. That's awesome. They deserve credit for that.

I'm interested now mostly because I know character progress will be maintained after the server ends. They are focusing on the level 50 experience which is very popular with the core fanbase. It's sub only. And maybe if this is popular enough the duration will extend or they'll do this again with a server that will persist.

Really with how flexible their server structure and cross server functionality works they could likely reenable this server or one with the same rule set anytime they want. I do hope this works well and is popular enough for them to continue with in the future.
    I feel as if they're shooting themselves in the foot putting an expiration date on it like this, though.

Many folks have mentioned (myself included) how they don't want to try Wildstar again because it could shut down at any moment.

Then, if the server is largely devoid of life because it will be ending anyways, folks around here will point and say how that proves subs are completely useless today.  GG.
    Warzod

• Jrich_cpJrich_cp Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Ive never bought an expansion for rift, so im excited to try the new souls (melee mage!) that ive never played.

Im excited that i get to keep my character instead of being deleted(like they were originally gonna do).

Im not excited that when my character gets ported over, it will mean that i have to buy $100’s of dollars worth of expansionsor whatever (not even sure what the entry fee into live rift is with all souls unlocked) which means it might as well be deleted.

But since im a wow player, chances are i dont even last the full prime server as bfa comes out During apprx the mid to last months of the prime cycle and ill be playing that anyways.
    Jrich_cp said:
    Ive never bought an expansion for rift, so im excited to try the new souls (melee mage!) that ive never played.

Im excited that i get to keep my character instead of being deleted(like they were originally gonna do).

Im not excited that when my character gets ported over, it will mean that i have to buy $100’s of dollars worth of expansionsor whatever (not even sure what the entry fee into live rift is with all souls unlocked) which means it might as well be deleted.

But since im a wow player, chances are i dont even last the full prime server as bfa comes out During apprx the mid to last months of the prime cycle and ill be playing that anyways.
    Its vanilla rift, so as far as I know there wont be any new souls. Harbringer (the melee mage you want to try) came in Storm Legion, so you're probably out of luck.
    MrMelGibson
    edited February 2018
    cheyane said:
    Albatroes said:
    cheyane said:
    Many people will be totally turned off by this idea. Why should I invest any time on this damn server if they intend to foist me off to the F2P ones ?
    My guess is they are trying to bank on AA's idea of fresh start since people keep begging for those. This concept is more-or-less the same. AA fresh start servers come out stand alone for 6 months to a year and then getting added into the general pool, rinse and repeat.

But lets be real, yes the expiration date kills the idea for a lot of people before its even started, but a year is honestly all the traction it would get with WoW Classic coming sometime in a year or 2 (2 years is probably more realistic since BfA will probably be at its peak next year before hitting dead spell the following year, then they launch classic). Who knows though, maybe they feel threatened by Pantheon or something since its supposed to go into beta sometime this year.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Still only US servers?

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Albatroes said:
    cheyane said:
    Albatroes said:
    cheyane said:
    My guess is they are trying to bank on AA's idea of fresh start since people keep begging for those. This concept is more-or-less the same. AA fresh start servers come out stand alone for 6 months to a year and then getting added into the general pool, rinse and repeat.
    I would play a P2P only AA server.   Rift should just have a single P2P only server and I would be playing that server.  I dont want to play on a server that will be deleted or cycled into their F2P pool.   If I wanted to play F2P I would be playing right now.
    Coolit
    danwest58 said:
    Albatroes said:
    cheyane said:
    Albatroes said:
    cheyane said:
    I would play a P2P only AA server.   Rift should just have a single P2P only server and I would be playing that server.  I dont want to play on a server that will be deleted or cycled into their F2P pool.   If I wanted to play F2P I would be playing right now.
    Not sure why they wouldn't just give the option to xfer characters from P2P to F2P server if that's the case.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    edited February 2018

Albatroes said:

Jrich_cp said:

Its vanilla rift, so as far as I know there wont be any new souls. Harbringer (the melee mage you want to try) came in Storm Legion, so you're probably out of luck.

Its not chocolate Rift, it's the Live game with modifications to turn certain content off however I'm not sure if this includes all the added souls.

From last months MMORPG.com article:

"TORVAL: Will I be able to play my vanilla chloro leech healer?
    ARCHONIX: Importantly, the Prime server is not running on a launch 1.0 build when it comes to code and gameplay data and the like. It uses the existing Live build with modifications to disable/remove major content introduced through patches and expansions. That means current Live classes and abilities will remain. The Rift builds have had seven years of fixes, improvements, technical changes behind the scenes (streaming patcher, 64-bit client, etc) that nobody should want to remove. ;)"
    Post edited by Coolit on
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]AlomarMrMelGibson
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Albatroes said:

"Players who are looking to take part in the Prime server can ensure that they will be flagged ahead of time can purchase a Rift Primogenitor package from the Shop for $30"

F'ing Trion. Anyone who's played the original knows how long it takes to get your first mount....but for 30$ get instantly! Obvious cash grabs are too obvious sometimes.

Not such a big deal since the original launch of the game included a mount with pre-order. same thing.
    [Deleted User]sschrupp
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    The FAQ is a goldmine of information such as:

Diablo 3/POE season/league comparison:
    "We intend this server to run for at least a year of progression, so there’s no rush."

Available souls:
    "Expansion unlocks and add-on content – such as souls or equipment slots – are included as part of RIFT Prime server access for all players on the server." BUT "Some features and content from RIFT’s live servers are unavailable on RIFT Prime, including Minions, Instant Adventures, and the Primalist Calling."

Hope this is helpful to those wallowing in uncertainty. The link to the FAQ is in Suzie's article.
    [Deleted User]
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    danwest58 said:
    Albatroes said:
    cheyane said:
    Albatroes said:
    cheyane said:
    Not sure why they wouldn't just give the option to xfer characters from P2P to F2P server if that's the case.
    They are letting people transfer off the P2P to the F2P at the end of the life of the server.
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    edited February 2018
    So if your a subscriber or have access to subscriber status on your account you can join this. I like the idea BUT it sounds like it will only go so far before you would need to jump off and onto one of teh F2P servers.

I do not like these lucky pick chests/crates etc that cost money and 99.9% of the time give utter shite. I prefer subscription games that gives you the chance to buy or find or get awarded said items rather than relying on purchasing an item and hoping for alot of luck. Also what companies tend to never think about to try and get players in is REDUCING the monthly subscription. They did that and it would probably end up being a winning thing as many wont pay for 2 MMO's or so at any 1 time, half the cost and that would change alot of peoples minds.
    danwest58 said:
    Albatroes said:
    cheyane said:
    Albatroes said:
    cheyane said:
    They are letting people transfer off the P2P to the F2P at the end of the life of the server.
    Then there's no need to shut down the server.  It's unnecessary.
    zaberfangxViper482YashaX

So many people on the website have whined about free to play, now you have one of the last and best traditional mmos creating a subscription only server. Lets see who supports it...
    Who wants to go in with the days numbered already like this?  It's like they were intentionally trying to discourage folks from participating. 
    acidbloodSteelhelmsschruppYashaX

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Its a trap
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Well was looking forward to this.... until I read it was temporary.

I see no reason to even look into this if it is working like seasons and you are forced into the f2p garbage at the end.

Who actually thought this was a good idea?
  • KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Then there's no need to shut down the server.  It's unnecessary.

I'm not sure you understand that Rift Prime will be completely different as any other server, no one from f2p will be allowed to go on that server because of how different the servers are. To merge all servers at the end it must be closed so then Prime players fold into the existing game which has cross server etc 

Torval said:
    cheyane said:
      MadFrenchie said:
    Torval said:
    This sounds like a much better deal than the last time they announced details. They listened to community feedback and made changes. That's awesome. They deserve credit for that.

I'm interested now mostly because I know character progress will be maintained after the server ends. They are focusing on the level 50 experience which is very popular with the core fanbase. It's sub only. And maybe if this is popular enough the duration will extend or they'll do this again with a server that will persist.

Really with how flexible their server structure and cross server functionality works they could likely reenable this server or one with the same rule set anytime they want. I do hope this works well and is popular enough for them to continue with in the future.
    I feel as if they're shooting themselves in the foot putting an expiration date on it like this, though.

Many folks have mentioned (myself included) how they don't want to try Wildstar again because it could shut down at any moment.

Then, if the server is largely devoid of life because it will be ending anyways, folks around here will point and say how that proves subs are completely useless today.  GG.
    It's their first run and limited time run servers are common with this sort of thing. DBG does it frequently with EQ2 and Funcom with AoC. You don't lose character progress, it's transferred to your normal Live server (or server of your choice).

If this is successful then maybe they will consider continually running server or other event options.

As far as people twisting facts to draw erroneous conclusions that fit their little agenda so they can soapbox here, nothing will stop that. There's already evidence that a sub-only server, alongside F2P servers, isn't enough in itself to change how people play. Allods has tried this and the result is crickets, even though Allods users swore they'd rather have P2P than F2P. And maybe it's true. Maybe trying to go back to a more sub-oriented pay system is a fantasy that will never be adopted again.

I think trying to second guess that is an exercise in heartache and futility. Opening a new server and experimenting with it is a cheap way to test the waters.
    Honestly, nothing about the sub system should strike general consumers the wrong way, considering subs are becoming very popular with consumers in general (barkbox, dollar shave club, five four club, battle box, Netflix, Spotify, the list goes on and on and cuts across numerous areas of interest), but when you've trained your consumer base to expect the majority of the game for free, it's hard to put Pandora back into her box.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Funny how Blizzard has been asked for Vanilla servers for years, yet Trion beat them :P

Funny how Rift could not support at healthy population and had to go F2P with microtranasactions... Oh wait.. It was not funny... Just sad.

It has been said for years that Blizzard would look at classic servers only once WoW was in it´s sunset... And by and large... Wow is in that place now.. lo an behold.. classic servers. =P

This have been a good conversation

• PresciencePrescience Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Too little too late.