Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

That One Crazy Game Idea You've Always Had

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Asm0deus said:
    An mmo that ties all other mmos together.

One MMO to rule them all! :)
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    edited February 2018
    Scorchien said:
    Aethaeryn said:
    thunderC said:
    A triple AAA Mmo where every or some raid/world bosses are controlled by actual GM's with non scripted fights and varying degree's of difficulty. Also some NPC would be manned by live actors as well giving out non scripted quests on the fly. 
    They used to do this in UO I think.  It would make such a big difference just knowing that it could happen that I would be more likely to play that game.  In game events run by humans.  Don't announce it. . just do it.  Hire one guy that does this all day. . awesome :)
    UO, Asherons Call and EQ all did this , and each was some of the most memorable game times i can think of (PVE) , but is it really PVE when a GM is controlling and or spwaning mobs ... ?
    I loved that stuff in UO.
    Anyone remember that time the "authorities" caught those bad GM characters and then had an event where they moved them from one Trinsic's jails to the Yew jails behind the Courthouse?
    And along the way the GMs set NPC hordes to attacks the "caravan", with the other GM bad guys running along attacking too.
    I got the chance to chase one of them down as he followed the caravan and survived several encounters.
    That was a good day!

Another time they had hordes of Orcs take over the jails behind Yew, and we battled through to stop the jail break in progress. We were able to use basic tactics of blocking the hallways so the NPCs could move around us, making a battle front where players could heal those in the front lines, and archers could attack without having to defend.
    What was great for me was that the rest of the players decided to go around, on boats, leaving me there to catch a GM character basically alone,

--> and I defeated him ! <--

(thanks to many heal potions and a maxed out warrior character).

What a blast that was!

It wasn't one of those top bad guys, basically an Orc Boss. But still!
    I poisoned him, I cursed him, I exploded him, I basically did everything I could to get him off his game and in the end I got him when he tried to change up and heal.
    A battle royal that I was pretty proud of.
    Then all the NPCs showed up and surrounded me while I was trying to find something special in his backpack. They always buried the unique stuff under a load of common stuff. I couldn't escape their blocks and ate dust too. lol
    cjmarsh

Once upon a time....

Before computers there was a P+P game based on a post apocalyptic world where characters had mutations for their powers.
    Wings, double brains, stats based on skeletal or muscle mutations, 4 arms, etc.
    It was otherwise similar to other such games with salvaged gear and a variety of weapon types. Plus crafting based on finding knowledge in the ruins.

Sort of like Thundar the Barbarian's world.

That could make for a great MMO.

Once upon a time....

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    My crazy idea, 

Make an mmoprg where players need to play together for 60% of the content.  This in an open world environment...... Graphics only have to be about medium.  

NO CASH SHOPS !!! 

Crazy right ?
    ScotAmaranthar4507
    My crazy idea, 

Make an mmoprg where players need to play together for 60% of the content.  This in an open world environment...... Graphics only have to be about medium.  

NO CASH SHOPS !!! 

Crazy right ?
    Yeah man, that's just crazy thinking.
    delete5230

Once upon a time....

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I want an MMORPG with the RMAH of Diablo 3. With no bound items. If we are going full pay to win, let me make money off people who don't want to grind, and have item drops be extremely rare. Also let it be full loot PvP. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Game with pre-set 2 hour, 4 hour, and 6 hour instanced content that ends when the time is up. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Truly utterly massive cities.   Similar to Ravnica in MTG, but without it OP PlanesWalker story breaking elements. 

------------

Something like Screeps but on that also gives you your own character to go along with everything.    Even I think Screeps works so well due to being super focused, I can still dream/want the impossible to actually get right. 

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited February 2018
    cjmarsh said:
    So I'm recovering from a surgery and these pain pills have me thinking about that one hobby project I always told myself I would make if I ever somehow got the time and money. A space game where you control a spaceship instead of a person and WASD controls your maneuvering thrusters, rotating your ship instead of moving it. QE does the rolling thing and Z and C set the overall level of thrust to the main engines. X counters your rotation automatically with different maneuvering thrusters so you aren't spinning anymore. Basically flying a spaceship in a way that doesn't blatantly violate the laws of physics.

Then blatantly violating the laws of physics with cool things like shields and railguns and other abilities. The shields would have emitters around the ship and get worn out and weakened by local damage. The railguns would use consumable ammo and different abilities with them might increase ammo consumption or wear on the guns. Other abilities might temporarily strengthen the shields, mark a target for more damage, etc.

Anyways, I was curious if other people also have a pet game idea they'd like to see made at some point. Feel free to say "No" because I would get a kick out of that but also feel free to expound at length on your own ideal pet project. Or if you're worried someone will steal it then make a demo, get it on kickstarter, and then publish it so I can play it already. I mean drugs can be great and all but I like games better.
    You're basically describing the MMORPG I've been playing the last 14 years (here is a CliffsNotes version).

'That one idea' I've had floating around is a God-game as a MMORPG.  Something like "ActRaiser" but on a much larger scale, and with updated graphics, obviously.  A game where you can sit back and let things evolve, taking on a grand-strategy approach ala "Civ" or "Master of Orion" or zoom in and micro a handful of characters that you pick as your "chosen ones" out of the population.  I'd also like time to be cyclical, as in what "Crowfall" is going for.
    Post edited by Phaserlight on

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    1 of 2:

1. A low fantasy game set in the early 18th century Caribbean focused around maritime activity. There would be three factions: the Quadruple Alliance (Britain, France, Netherlands), Spain, and the Pirate Republic, each owning a variety of real-life ports and cities across the Caribbean and being locked in constant warfare (PvP) with each other. Naturally, the game would center around sailing your ship (third person for the captain giving orders, first person for the crew acting on those orders), but would also have activities on land such as building up your player-owned estates, plantations, shipyards, etc. The "end game" would mainly consist of faction PvP - attacking enemy ships (either NPC or player), capturing enemy ports, and supplying your faction with necessary materials with which to fight the war (for crafters/major land owners), although there would still be some semi-traditional naval PvE endgame in the form of world bosses such as the kraken, leviathan, Flying Dutchman, etc.

2. An ultra-sandbox Wild West game focused on building and maintaining your homestead in the face of aggressive wildlife, a hostile climate, and roving bands of outlaws, even growing it into a town if you so choose. It would have robust building, farming, breeding, and family/child systems, alongside deep crafting and FPS combat, as well as a karma system that allows you to be an outlaw (and punishes you accordingly for doing so). 
    Phaserlight
  • 1AD71AD7 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    edited February 2018
    Here is a dungeon concept I have been working on for quite awhile.  It was inspired by Lufia 2 from the SNES but there are a few changes that make it more MMO friendly.  I spend plenty of time theory crafting for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen and this is one of many ideas or concepts that I have worked on.  If anybody is interested in seeing other concepts/features or sharing some of their own, feel free to join the Fantheon Community at:  http://www.fantheonmmo.com/  (This is a free to use fan-forum dedicated to Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen)

Gauntlet of Diffusion  --  (GoD)

Design Goals:
    Create a challenging dungeon crawl experience centered around high replay value and dynamic combat.
    Utilize long-term, GoD exclusive vertical progression as an opportunity for players to unlock purposely limited yet tangible progression for characters that complete the dungeon.
    Recycle existing game assets in order to achieve maximum content value with minimal design effort.
    Create an effective gold-sink that can help with staving off inflation.
    Allow hardcore players an avenue to invest high playtime without contributing toward any significant gap in power between them and the larger player base.
    Create an epic dungeon experience that allows players an opportunity to affect temporary change into the world.
    Create a leaderboard that allows competitive players to ascend a ranked ladder that doesn't contribute toward the idea of competition for resources in the game world.
    Dungeon could be expanded upon with future expansions.

Dungeon Design:
    The dungeon would consist of 7 wings that share a single, expansive floor plan.
    Each wing would contain it's own audio/video elements that grow progressively more foreboding.
    Each wing would contain a different pool of NPC's and itemization to randomly draw from, scaling in difficulty/quality.
    The difficulty scaling for each wing would include more atmospheres, environmental effects, or traps not seen in priors wings.
    As you progress through each wing, more dispositions would be added to the NPC pool.
    Movement speed, aggro ranges, and detection methods would fluctuate depending on NPC type.
    To expand on the above, think of drakes that can cover long distances in short periods of time, beholders that can see through invis, or wolves that can detect you from an increased range.
    Every NPC serves as a place-holder for lottery spawns, meaning that every respawn has a very small chance to spawn as a named.
    The final room for each wing would contain a teleportation device that can only be activated by defeating a force-spawned gate-keeper.

Dungeon Rules:
    An admission fee must be paid by each player prior to entering the dungeon.
    Upon entering the dungeon, each player would be outfitted in starter gear.  (They retain their level.)
    If a group wipes, they are removed from the dungeon and have to restart at the entrance on their next run.
    Players can attune themselves to teleportation devices, allowing them to save their progress, exit the dungeon, and pick up where they left off when they return.
    In order to attune to a teleportation device, players must conquer the unique gate-keeper associated with it.
    T2 chests have a chance to drop a "Providence" item.  These can be used to summon a player to a teleportation device that they have previously attuned to, consuming the item in the process.
    The dungeon utilizes a unique progression model for itemization.  (Explained in next section.)

Itemization Progression Model:
    Loot would be divided into five colored tiers.
    T1 (Red Chests)  --  T1 loot would include gear and consumables ranging in quality from poor to average.  T1 loot is considered temporary and will disappear from player inventories if they wipe and fail the dungeon.
    T2 (Green Chests)  --  T2 loot would include gear and consumables that are higher quality than what can be found in red chests, ranging from good to great.  T2 loot is considered temporary and will disappear from player inventories if they wipe and fail the dungeon.  (The only exception to this rule is the "Providence" item which would not disappear.  It is consumed upon use, though.)
    T3 (Blue Chests)  --  T3 loot would include gear that ranges in quality from good to great.  T3 loot is considered soulbound to GoD.  T3 loot cannot be taken with you outside of the dungeon, but will return to your inventory when players re-enter the zone in the future.
    T4 (Purple Chests)  --  T4 loot would include gear with an excellent quality score.  T4 loot is considered soulbound to GoD.  T4 loot cannot be taken with you outside of the dungeon, but will return to your inventory when players re-enter the zone in the future.
    T5 (Gold Chests)  --  T5 loot would include tradeable collection items.  T5 collectibles are the only items that can be taken out of GoD.  There is a collection merchant outside of the dungeon that is willing to trade a prestigious item for a full set of these items.  (It's possible to create multiple "sets" of these collection items with each set qualifying for a different prestigious item.  These prestigious items would be cosmetic or utility in nature and could include mounts, cloaks, illusions, pet illusions, and house items.  )Could also include weight reduction bags, special quivers, summoning stones, etc.)

Final Thoughts:
    Itemization would ideally be balanced around a "situational gear" ideology.  All the way up to T4, the ceiling for any individual piece of loot would be situational.
    In order for the above to be true, a wide variety of combat situations would need to be present in the dungeon, ranging from atmosphere, environment, and resistance.
    To further expand on the above, a variety of NPC dispositions and behaviors should contribute toward the value of long-term diagonal progression within the dungeon.
    Lottery spawns would always drop at least 1 piece of T3-T4 gear, and have an increased chance of dropping a T5 collectible item.
    In addition to the above, lottery spawns would drop a single teleportation rune.
    X amount of teleportation runes can be consumed to summon a gate-keeper in the final room of each wing.  These runes would be tiered for each wing.
    Item quality would not necessitate "ilevel" or "gearscore" implementation.  A human being would determine what loot belongs in each tier.
    You could limit the availability of this dungeon by gating it behind faction or using it as a "dynamic event" that utilizes various world triggers that can open/close it.
    The 7'th wing would contain a wise sage in the final room that offers to teach adventurers a powerful spell or ability.
    Rather than a teleportation device, the final room of the 7'th wing would contain a summoning portal.
    In order to activate the summoning portal, players would need to consume a full set of teleportation runes from each wing.  (7 sets total.)
    Activating the summoning portal would call forth an epic raid boss, tuned for a raid that is completely outfitted in T4 gear.
    Defeating the final boss would affect temporary change into the world of Terminus.
    The final boss could have it's own unique set of prestigious items.  (The only vertical progression associated with this dungeon is a single spell or ability acquired from the Wise Sage.)
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited February 2018
    Before computers there was a P+P game based on a post apocalyptic world where characters had mutations for their powers.
    It was otherwise similar to other such games with salvaged gear and a variety of weapon types. Plus crafting based on finding knowledge in the ruins.

I think you are talking about Gamma World, aren't you? I remember that! One of the games my group tried and never stuck with.

Somehow that reminded me of the RPG Underground, that was a great cyberpunky game that would make a great MMORPG.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2018
    I started work on a couple idea games many years ago but realized WAY too much work for one person.So i used it more as a learning experience to understand everything that goes into game designs.MY ideal games were actually coming along quite nice,i basically wanted to have lot's of secret areas was my gig back then.

It sort of tainted my view on gaming as i see a lot of really bad game designs.Most games look like one person INDIE ideas but with a large team to pull it off on a large scale,so a large scale pile of crap lol.

I do not see a whole lot of professional looking games,most look INDIE to me.

Idea or crazy idea,not really mostly tweaking ideas that have already been done as most have already been done by some developer somewhere.

I just want games to look good,play great,have longevity and NO hand holding NO cash shop,give that and i'm happy.But i am never at this moment in my life/age going to attempt any type of game builds.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I think you are talking about Gamma World, aren't you? I remember that! One of the games my group tried and never stuck with.

Somehow that reminded me of the RPG Underground, that was a great cyberpunky game that would make a great MMORPG.
    That might be it.
    It was a game that needed fleshed out some in the other-than-powers stuff.
    I think if you take a lot of those games and fleshed out the worldly stuff, there could be some successes there. The basic concepts were good.

Once upon a time....

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I've talked about this a few times in the past on these forums, but I want to revolutionise tanking and positional relevance, as well as improve group dynamics. 

1) Threat as an aura

I was thinking about how threat / target selection tends to work in "real life" situations. A warrior wouldn't just run past the grunts in an attempt to kill the leader, because they'd just be stabbed and slashed 100s of times as they ran. In real life, you have to stop and engage everyone who is trying to engage with you. 

So, threat becomes an aura, but the effects of that aura are more like CC. If I am wielding a standard sword, I would have a 3 metre aura around me. If you are stood in the front quarter of my aura, your movement speed is reduced to 10%. If you are in either side quarter, movement speed reduced to 50%. If you are behind me, movement speed is normal. If my opponents direction of travel is away from me, the slow effects are also reduced (to simulate being able to disengage / back off). 

This basically simulates the need to engage with whoever is trying to kill you. Different weapons, classes etc would alter the effects of the aura, e.g. if I'm wielding a halberd, my aura might increase to 5m radius. Maybe if I'm wearing full plate armour, the slow effect is reduced to simulate my ability to take a hit. 

2) Collision Detection

To aid with threat as an aura, I'd want collision detection adding in too. This then sets up tanking to be a case of literally standing in between the enemy and your squishies and keeping the enemy engaged. From the enemies point of view, they will either have to kill you first, or go around you. 

3) Weight and strength matters

Again, thinking about realism here, I wouldn't expect a human to be able to stand toe-to-toe with a giant. So, I would want weight and strength to factor into the collision detection. Opponents of equal stature wouldn't be able to push each other out of the way, but people of larger stature should be able to do so. So, if an ogre is charging at the healer but a hobbit tries to stop it, the slow effects of the hobbits aura would basically be negated and the ogre would be able to just push past the hobbit. 

I would also want everyone to have some sort of positional CC (knockbacks basically). Whilst you may not be able to push someone out of the way, a well placed kick or shove should have some effect. This sort of skill could be extended further so that players have the ability to quickly flank someone (like ducking a sword swing and quick stepping behind your opponent). 

4) Group Formations and Group Abilities

Hopefully from the above 3 items, you can begin to build a picture of what combat would start to look like. There would be a lot more movement and a lot more making use of the terrain, things like forming a shield wall to block off a tunnel. 

To aid with this, I would also like to implement group formations. These would be selected by the group leader (and potentially designed by them ahead of schedule). Players in the group would then manually move into position and click "join" formation. This would then apply various bonuses and limitations. 

For example, one formation would be "shield wall". Melee fighters could join a line to form an impenetrable wall. This would apply bonuses to defence and make it much harder to push through the wall or knock people back. But, it would also disable AoE attacks and make movement a lot harder. Another example would be the wedge, again applying bonuses to defence, but also improving the "weight" of the tip of the nose so that it could more easily push through opponents. 

As an extension of this, add in group abilities. In the shield wall example, one possible group ability would be "grab and open". The player that used this ability would grab an opponent and drag them through the shield wall, shutting the gap behind them. This would effectively isolate the enemy from their own team, allowing your glass cannons to burn them down. 

Final Overview

With each of these things, the goal is to make combat much more fluid. You would still have skills, rotations etc, but positioning and movement become much more important. You wouldn't be in a constant strafing / circling fight, or always double-tap dodging like in todays games. But, you'd be moving more strategically. The group formation stuff is also an attempt to make it accessible to people, rather than relying on players to stand in exactly the right places. It's also an attempt to open the way to meaningful large scale combat. Rather than crazy zergs, the formations and collision detection would aim to make large scale combat more structured and interesting. A well supported tank wall would actually be able to block a corridor against massive numbers, for example. An organised wedge could break through the enemy lines. A quick circle might protect a smaller group from an oncoming horde. A formation with swords in the front rank, pikes in the second would allow everyone to engage at once. 
    4507Steelhelm
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Honestly i can't think about any idea that worth to be called crazy .

maybe make and run a game for free can rate as crazy .

I want to make an international project MMOFPS totally F2P game that you don't need to pay for anything , a game with simple mechanic where you grab a gun , go out , shot monster and other people .

There are no instances , only one open world that able to hold 12 millions players

game will use apocalypse theme

Player have to go out to kill the monsters , each kill give them 1 point , and player can convert the points to real life money . Points can be trade between players but 20% of the point will be lost when trading , if a player dead , he lost all points , if a player get killed by other player , other player will have half of the points of dead player .
    Ammo , food , items ect ... can only buy using point . Point also use to level up there are 99 level , 1 level lost each dead

The point that player earn from killing other player called crime points and they can't be trade but still able to turn it to cash (with lower rate than normal point)
    When you have crime point , you will be in wanted list and people who hunt you down will get half of the crime point you have ,
    the point earned from hunting crime called honor point , can't be trade . honor point will get delete if a player die .

A player dead in hand of monster or starve to dead will lost all point he carry .

Player will have to eat and drink to keep being alive , points use to buy food , no need to sleep though , but let character sleep well will boost the status  . Log out count as sleep , no need to eat in the time player sleep , character don't disappear in game , careful get killed .

Monster will spawn randomly on map and they will chase player to the end of earth cause there are no safe zone . No place to hide , but you can form a group will other and in turn watching for safety .
    When a player die , he will return at the base (safe zone , only able to get in after dead) , lost all the points , he can chose where to respawn , it will take few minutes .

Each Sunday player will allow to trade the point to cash

Well , this is basic rule of the game , need to be change a lots .

I want to make this game PS4 VR or some console so i can ban the heck out of cheat people .
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Albatroes said:
    A group of six "elite" players that dictated the eb and flow of the game while the rest of the game's "endgame" made up of overthrowing them.
    Pretty much like EVE then.

;)
    ScotPhaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    My crazy idea, 

NO CASH SHOPS !!! 

Crazy right ?
    Yeah man, that's just crazy thinking.
    Next he'll be asking for subscription only or some other insane monetization model, like time blocks used only when you have time to actully log in.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I've talked about this a few times in the past on these forums, but I want to revolutionise tanking and positional relevance, as well as improve group dynamics. 

1) Threat as an aura

I was thinking about how threat / target selection tends to work in "real life" situations. A warrior wouldn't just run past the grunts in an attempt to kill the leader, because they'd just be stabbed and slashed 100s of times as they ran. In real life, you have to stop and engage everyone who is trying to engage with you. 

So, threat becomes an aura, but the effects of that aura are more like CC. If I am wielding a standard sword, I would have a 3 metre aura around me. If you are stood in the front quarter of my aura, your movement speed is reduced to 10%. If you are in either side quarter, movement speed reduced to 50%. If you are behind me, movement speed is normal. If my opponents direction of travel is away from me, the slow effects are also reduced (to simulate being able to disengage / back off). 

This basically simulates the need to engage with whoever is trying to kill you. Different weapons, classes etc would alter the effects of the aura, e.g. if I'm wielding a halberd, my aura might increase to 5m radius. Maybe if I'm wearing full plate armour, the slow effect is reduced to simulate my ability to take a hit. 

2) Collision Detection

To aid with threat as an aura, I'd want collision detection adding in too. This then sets up tanking to be a case of literally standing in between the enemy and your squishies and keeping the enemy engaged. From the enemies point of view, they will either have to kill you first, or go around you. 

3) Weight and strength matters

Again, thinking about realism here, I wouldn't expect a human to be able to stand toe-to-toe with a giant. So, I would want weight and strength to factor into the collision detection. Opponents of equal stature wouldn't be able to push each other out of the way, but people of larger stature should be able to do so. So, if an ogre is charging at the healer but a hobbit tries to stop it, the slow effects of the hobbits aura would basically be negated and the ogre would be able to just push past the hobbit. 

I would also want everyone to have some sort of positional CC (knockbacks basically). Whilst you may not be able to push someone out of the way, a well placed kick or shove should have some effect. This sort of skill could be extended further so that players have the ability to quickly flank someone (like ducking a sword swing and quick stepping behind your opponent). 

4) Group Formations and Group Abilities

Hopefully from the above 3 items, you can begin to build a picture of what combat would start to look like. There would be a lot more movement and a lot more making use of the terrain, things like forming a shield wall to block off a tunnel. 

To aid with this, I would also like to implement group formations. These would be selected by the group leader (and potentially designed by them ahead of schedule). Players in the group would then manually move into position and click "join" formation. This would then apply various bonuses and limitations. 

For example, one formation would be "shield wall". Melee fighters could join a line to form an impenetrable wall. This would apply bonuses to defence and make it much harder to push through the wall or knock people back. But, it would also disable AoE attacks and make movement a lot harder. Another example would be the wedge, again applying bonuses to defence, but also improving the "weight" of the tip of the nose so that it could more easily push through opponents. 

As an extension of this, add in group abilities. In the shield wall example, one possible group ability would be "grab and open". The player that used this ability would grab an opponent and drag them through the shield wall, shutting the gap behind them. This would effectively isolate the enemy from their own team, allowing your glass cannons to burn them down. 

Final Overview

With each of these things, the goal is to make combat much more fluid. You would still have skills, rotations etc, but positioning and movement become much more important. You wouldn't be in a constant strafing / circling fight, or always double-tap dodging like in todays games. But, you'd be moving more strategically. The group formation stuff is also an attempt to make it accessible to people, rather than relying on players to stand in exactly the right places. It's also an attempt to open the way to meaningful large scale combat. Rather than crazy zergs, the formations and collision detection would aim to make large scale combat more structured and interesting. A well supported tank wall would actually be able to block a corridor against massive numbers, for example. An organised wedge could break through the enemy lines. A quick circle might protect a smaller group from an oncoming horde. A formation with swords in the front rank, pikes in the second would allow everyone to engage at once. 
    That's very interesting.
    I'm not sure I like your implementation though. For one thing, I think the aura idea is too automatic. I think an actual attack should be required to have an affect, with varying results based on attack success range.
    But yeah, I like the idea of a player being "caught up" by someone he's trying to run past, but with the option to ignore that at a bug penalty to defense.

I've wanted to see size matter forever. I think "Size" should be a stat, based on strength and weight (or "bulk"). I've always wanted to see knockbacks based on size modification. And it's crazy that a human can't push a chicken out of the way with ease.
    And consider "Trample" when sizes are vastly different.
    But also, on the other side of the scale, is Agility.
    This kind of stuff can add a whole new aspect to combat, stealth, avoidance, and just moving around.
    cameltosisSteelhelm

Once upon a time....

• PratchettManPratchettMan Member UncommonPosts: 15
    There's a thread on the Pub somewhere from a few years back about my MMO idea. Here's the basics again. 

1. In terms of genre, I would call it MMOSIM. Think the Sims meets Warcraft
    2. No classes and no levels, you don't need them
    3. All actions create experience points. After x amount of experience points are attained, you are given skill points. 
    4. Skill points are assign to skills such as Armor, Weapons, Architecture, Weaponsmithing
    5. No armor or weapon grind. Both can be made by players or bought from NPC's
    6. Persistent World - Ex: A troll raiding party attacks your village and takes villagers hostage. You have to rescue the villagers so that it goes back to normal.
    7. Player aging and death - I know COE stole this idea from me, but I like mine better. You age over the length of playing the game. At some point, your character should get married and have children, to pass on your knowledge. Your children gain a percentage of experience/knowledge/skills from your character. When original player character dies, you can then play as one of your children and start new adventures
    8. Locations/Items make sense - Mines are found by exploring caves. Dungeons are found by exploring ruins and other locations. Dungeons can be solo or group and will have nice rewards. Killing a deer gains you: venison, hide, bone, sinew, which can all be used in crafting
     9. Housing, villages, and cities - The map will have basic villages dotted around. These will be the starting areas. Players will build their own housing and upgrade over time. Players can form guilds, which can then build cities. 
    10. PVP - Would be based off of skill levels. If Player 1's melee/magic skill is within 20% of Player 2's skill level, then Player 1 can attack Player 2. This is the very basic idea of it, but it would be based off of skill lines. 

Basically, a world where you start as a young man/woman. You apprentice with people in the village you start in, or you go to the sorcerer's school to learn magic. You take on challenges to gain experience so that you can then venture forth into the world. You build your own homestead that you can come back to, or join together with others to make a huge city. 

No markers above people's heads for quests either. As you travel, you would meet people and pick up tasks that will allow you to gain more experience. 

Really, it would be a persistent open-ended world that is up to you how you shape it. 

My other idea was for a zombie survival game, but one that starts at the outbreak. In this game, you have to race home to prepare your house/family for the coming crisis. You could band together with other neighbors (NPC's) to form a large group. Then, you could give tasks/commands to people in the group to take care of. It would have decisions that will affect the outcome of the game. It would also have building/fortifying of structures, as well as crafting. The other thought was that it could be somehow tied to google maps, so that you start in your actual location, and the maps would be generated by google maps, so it would look like your actual neighborhood. 

Yeah, I know the google part might be hard to implement, but it would really make the game immersive and realistic. 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706

That's very interesting.
    I'm not sure I like your implementation though. For one thing, I think the aura idea is too automatic. I think an actual attack should be required to have an affect, with varying results based on attack success range.
    But yeah, I like the idea of a player being "caught up" by someone he's trying to run past, but with the option to ignore that at a bug penalty to defense.

I've wanted to see size matter forever. I think "Size" should be a stat, based on strength and weight (or "bulk"). I've always wanted to see knockbacks based on size modification. And it's crazy that a human can't push a chicken out of the way with ease.
    This kind of stuff can add a whole new aspect to combat, stealth, avoidance, and just moving around.
    Yup, the aura idea is a bit of a weird one. 

I wanted to figure out a way to tackle the idea of "that guy wants to hurt me, therefore I shouldn't just run into him". I thought about applying the slow based on targeting, but that felt too limiting. I thought about linking it to actually being attacked, i.e. you're only slowed if someone takes a swing at you, but I felt that would be a bit too unresponsive and would allow people to move a bit too freely, so everyone would just end up AoEing all the time to ensure their tanking (slowing) aura's were always working. 

So yeh, just settled on an automatic aura. 

I would want additional modifiers too, I'm just not sure how they'd work. For example, I have thought about having to manually sheath / unsheath weapons in order to do things. So, you cannot heal if you've got your weapon out, or perhaps run speed is reduced when your weapon is out. But, I cannot think of a good way to do it. I have also thought that perhaps the aura could have reduced effect depending on how many targets you are engaging, so you primary target gets the full slow effect at all times, but everyone else in your aura only experiences half the effect or something like that. 

One of the other things I'd experiment with in a system like this is targeting. I like the manual targeting concept from action combat games but have always hated how few skills there are, resulting in shallow systems. So, I liked Wildstar's concept of telegraphs, though their implementation kinda sucked. 

The way I'd see this working if similar to telegraphs, just without the visual clues and with a bit more intelligence behind it. For example, a standard forehand slash attach, swinging right to left. You'd have to be facing the opponent, otherwise you'd miss. However, when you swung, the game would see who is stood in front of you. Instead of hitting them all, it would only hit the first person on your right. In a 1v1 situation, that'd mean all your skills would be fine, but when things get crowded you have to be a bit more careful in your skill selection, relying more on forward stabs and overhead chops to hit your intended target, rather than sweeping attacks. 

This again would place more importance on movement and spacial awareness. 

My only concern is I feel like this would likely result in a lot of skill bloat, because you'd want separate skills for forehand slash and backhand slash etc. I never played it, but I think AoC did something similar and I remember friends telling me it just got painful after a while as you were pressing too many buttons to achieve the desired result. 

That's very interesting.

Yup, the aura idea is a bit of a weird one. 

I wanted to figure out a way to tackle the idea of "that guy wants to hurt me, therefore I shouldn't just run into him". I thought about applying the slow based on targeting, but that felt too limiting. I thought about linking it to actually being attacked, i.e. you're only slowed if someone takes a swing at you, but I felt that would be a bit too unresponsive and would allow people to move a bit too freely, so everyone would just end up AoEing all the time to ensure their tanking (slowing) aura's were always working. 

So yeh, just settled on an automatic aura. 

I would want additional modifiers too, I'm just not sure how they'd work. For example, I have thought about having to manually sheath / unsheath weapons in order to do things. So, you cannot heal if you've got your weapon out, or perhaps run speed is reduced when your weapon is out. But, I cannot think of a good way to do it. I have also thought that perhaps the aura could have reduced effect depending on how many targets you are engaging, so you primary target gets the full slow effect at all times, but everyone else in your aura only experiences half the effect or something like that. 

One of the other things I'd experiment with in a system like this is targeting. I like the manual targeting concept from action combat games but have always hated how few skills there are, resulting in shallow systems. So, I liked Wildstar's concept of telegraphs, though their implementation kinda sucked. 

The way I'd see this working if similar to telegraphs, just without the visual clues and with a bit more intelligence behind it. For example, a standard forehand slash attach, swinging right to left. You'd have to be facing the opponent, otherwise you'd miss. However, when you swung, the game would see who is stood in front of you. Instead of hitting them all, it would only hit the first person on your right. In a 1v1 situation, that'd mean all your skills would be fine, but when things get crowded you have to be a bit more careful in your skill selection, relying more on forward stabs and overhead chops to hit your intended target, rather than sweeping attacks. 

This again would place more importance on movement and spacial awareness. 

My only concern is I feel like this would likely result in a lot of skill bloat, because you'd want separate skills for forehand slash and backhand slash etc. I never played it, but I think AoC did something similar and I remember friends telling me it just got painful after a while as you were pressing too many buttons to achieve the desired result. 
    Oh man, this gets into a lot of detail.
    First off, I's forget the aura idea in exchange for modifiers and reactions.
    For example, a player is trying to run through a line, past enemies.
    He gets hit from an attack, and since he's on "Run" mode he has a chance of several things happening.
    Anything from "slowed" to "stumble" to "fall down".
    With Agility modifiers.
    A "Knockback" attack could be a superior way to stop someone from running past/through.

Second, I think that "Stances" could be a very good thing. They'd dictate what sorts of things the player can do, while giving bonuses/negatives against certain forms of attacks also based on "Stances".
    And allow each player to read what the other might intend to do, adding another level of strategy vs. skills.

Thirdly, I like how Skyrim (the SP game) allowed various attacks by your body movement. I knw games are doing this, but I haven't played an MMO in years so I can't talk specifics that way.
    If you also base that form of attack on "Stances", you have have a very varied attack/defense system that requires some knowledge, practice, and player skill but doesn't have all that button mashing (except for changing "Stances", which I think is acceptable as it would be limited to a very few specific buttons). 
    cameltosis

Once upon a time....