Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From seamless universe MMO to region locked fixed single map arena game with multiple instances.

Comments

• CryptoCrowCryptoCrow Member UncommonPosts: 54
    cheyane said:
    I don't know much about this game but I was always under the impression that it always had a fixed number limit to its server and that number was not large to begin with. I don't see how this is news.
    I even provided the quote from Chris Roberts in my OP. I will provide it again so you don;t have to find it.

“We’re going to have this mesh of servers, so we’ll be able to have – hopefully you know – a large amount of players all in the same area, so we don’t have to instance it in a way that originally we were thinking we were gonna have to instance it; we have a kinda different kind of server design now that could potentially have thousands of players all in the same sort of area – uhm at the same time; which would be really cool cuz that’s something – again – something you could get a while, a year ago or ten years ago, but with sort of the newer tech, the power of machines, uh, the kinda stuff you can do in the cloud, the possibility has sort of opened up, we wanna utilize it.” - Chris Roberts 2016

I really think people here on this forum just read the thread title and don't bother to read the post. Very stranger indeed.

News are overrated
    TheScavengerWalkinGlennMaxBaconberenimMaurgrimKyleran
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited February 2018
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    WalkinGlennTheScavengerGdemamiberenimKyleran
    edited February 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    Let's not engage in a circular argument, that helps no one. I understand you don't agree with what i wrote and you don't believe the CIG developer i quoted and linked. That however does not give you the right to call my post misinformation. It's rude and immature.

So you agree with the rest of my post then i take it?

Lighten up, it's snowing outside!
    Oh now you want to run away from the argument? It's clear what the intent of the message was, to misinform, hence why you come up with the misleading title. 

And I will continue stating such as misinforming people.
    Why are you so angry about this? I really did nothing to provoke this kind of abuse from you. I even backed out of the argument because it is clearly going nowhere and it's the mature thing to do, yet here you are back with the harassment and accusations.

If you disagree that is fine but you are going above and beyond to harass me with your continued bashing.

I have been very polite through all of this but this is clearly going too far.
    MaxBaconTheScavengerMaurgrimKyleran
    edited February 2018
    TheScavengerGdemamiberenimMaurgrimKyleranMrMelGibson
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    cheyane said:
    I don't know much about this game but I was always under the impression that it always had a fixed number limit to its server and that number was not large to begin with. I don't see how this is news.
    I even provided the quote from Chris Roberts in my OP. I will provide it again so you don;t have to find it.

“We’re going to have this mesh of servers, so we’ll be able to have – hopefully you know – a large amount of players all in the same area, so we don’t have to instance it in a way that originally we were thinking we were gonna have to instance it; we have a kinda different kind of server design now that could potentially have thousands of players all in the same sort of area – uhm at the same time; which would be really cool cuz that’s something – again – something you could get a while, a year ago or ten years ago, but with sort of the newer tech, the power of machines, uh, the kinda stuff you can do in the cloud, the possibility has sort of opened up, we wanna utilize it.” - Chris Roberts 2016

I really think people here on this forum just read the thread title and don't bother to read the post. Very stranger indeed.

News are overrated
    Yes I understand what you quoted but I am telling you what my impression of this game was. It might not be what you are trying to point out but if even a person who clearly has not followed this game had that kind of an impression how could it have been a common expectation.
    Chamber of Chains
    MaxBacon said:

News are overrated
    That is manipulating what he actually said...

Nothing he says implies there could be thousands of players on the same place on the same server,
     "could potentially have thousands of players all in the same sort of area"  - Chris Roberts

Did i walk into an episode of Twilight Zone?

Please someone pinch me!

MaxBaconTheScavengerberenimKyleran
    edited February 2018
    TheScavengerGdemamiKyleran
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Holy gymnastics batman!!!
    StjerneoddCryptoCrowMaxBaconTheScavengerwingoodMrMelGibson
    cheyane said:
    cheyane said:

News are overrated
    Yes I understand what you quoted but I am telling you what my impression of this game was. It might not be what you are trying to point out but if even a person who clearly has not followed this game had that kind of an impression how could it have been a common expectation.
    So in essence you are saying my OP is pointless and serves no purpose because your personal experience and impression of what the game might be like is more important than what the developer said and since you had this expectation it might as well be a common expectation for the rest of the world?

I am really in the Twilight zone now.

TheScavengerMaxBacon
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    This is "star marine has been delayed indefinitely" and "cig asked a loan from coutts"  kinda drama lol

Well no news is better than nothing, it keeps the Star Citizen thread in the limelight which is nice as it will speed up the funding so we can reach that sweet 179th million :D
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Elite Dangerous may not promise the world but can we agree its the top option in space sim? Right now at least
    WalkinGlennCryptoCrowTheScavengerMaurgrimKyleranAgent_Joseph
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

MaxBacon said:
    MaxBacon said:

News are overrated

Nothing he says implies there could be thousands of players on the same place on the same server,
     "could potentially have thousands of players all in the same sort of area"  - Chris Roberts

Did i walk into an episode of Twilight Zone?

Please someone pinch me!

Well do sure could pinch yourself on this one.

"thousands of players all in the same sort of area"

Context: Server meshing (many servers handle the same game-world in a localized matter)

Why in hell in that context does what he said means that there could be thousands in the SAME SERVER?

Just to clarify: Where exactly did i manipulate what he actually said? Can you point me to where i said anything about SAME SERVER with thousands of players?

The only one here shouting SAME SERVER is you and i am not really sure why to be honest.
    MaxBaconTheScavengerberenimKyleranMrMelGibson
    edited February 2018
    Holy gymnastics batman!!!
    I am clearly not in Kansas any more! 
     ;) 
    TheScavenger
    thunderC said:
    Elite Dangerous may not promise the world but can we agree its the top option in space sim? Right now at least
    Totally, the VR experience is amazing. If just the headsets would have better resolution. Next Generation i hope will be better.
    TheScavengerJeffSpicoli
    edited February 2018
    TheScavengerGdemamiMaurgrimKyleran
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Once the initial version has been put through its paces we will continue to improve and refine the technology with future pre-alpha releases, incrementally bringing us closer to the final goal of a single shard universe.

Is alpha 3.4, not the final game. 
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Regardless of everything else you title is still misleading. Reading it all they are doing is making a simpler version of what they wanted, but can still achieve what they want. You say they're removing seamlessness yet he even says,

"Next, seamlessly transitioning entities and clients between servers"

Then you go on about "single map arena game" How did you get that from what they said? it's seems like your describing a MOBA.

Overall i think you might be confusing their type of instance with what you get in WoW when you enter a dungeon.

On the topic people making it out that SC and instancing is a new thing.

https://forums.starcitizenbase.com/topic/12527-instance-size/

This thread was created in 2014.

Overall, as i said, it seem they're just changing their approach, but aiming for the same goal
    MaxBaconAsm0deusgervaise1BabuinixTheScavenger
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    Ahh the quoting wars...lol

The thing with quoting is that it usually never a good idea to quote only part of a sentence or even quote one whole sentence as it can be used to manipulate the meaning or intent of the communication to something else, and this can be done easily even unintentionally.

For example:

"
    we have a kinda different kind of server design now that could potentially have thousands of players all in the same sort of area "  - Chris Roberts

means something different than:

" have thousands of players all in the same sort of area " - Chris Roberts

Those simple two words "could potentially" changes much.  That's not even taking into account the context of the rest that has been cut out.

MaxBacongervaise1TheScavengerGdemamiKyleranMrMelGibson

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited February 2018
    TheScavenger
    I see you deleted your post and now you try to spin it in some twisted way. I quoted it again just so you remember:

MaxBacon
     said:
    CryptoCrow said:

“We’re going to have this mesh of servers, so we’ll be able to have – hopefully you know – a large amount of players all in the same area, so we don’t have to instance it in a way that originally we were thinking we were gonna have to instance it; we have a kinda different kind of server design now that could potentially have thousands of players all in the same sort of area – uhm at the same time; which would be really cool cuz that’s something – again – something you could get a while, a year ago or ten years ago, but with sort of the newer tech, the power of machines, uh, the kinda stuff you can do in the cloud, the possibility has sort of opened up, we wanna utilize it.” - Chris Roberts 2016

News are overrated

Nothing he says implies there could be thousands of players on the same place on the same server,

You did not answer my question: Where am i manipulating what he said when i simply quoted him?

MaxBaconTheScavengerKyleranMrMelGibson
    edited February 2018
    TheScavengerGdemami
    Asm0deus said:
    Ahh the quoting wars...lol

The thing with quoting is that it usually never a good idea to quote only part of a sentence or even quote one whole sentence as it can be used to manipulate the meaning or intent of the communication to something else, and this can be done easily even unintentionally.

For example:

"
    we have a kinda different kind of server design now that could potentially have thousands of players all in the same sort of area "  - Chris Roberts

means something different than:

" have thousands of players all in the same sort of area " - Chris Roberts

Those simple two words "could potentially" changes much.  That's not even taking into account the context of the rest that has been cut out.

Nothing was cut out. That is exactly why i provided the full quote twice in this thread, which you must have missed. Then Mr. Bacon said i am manipulating it, rambled about SERVERS although no one ever but him mentioned servers and it is the full quote from Chris Roberts. Hence my confusion.

Would you not agree that to be correct?
    MaxBaconTheScavengerKefoKyleranMrMelGibson
    edited February 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    You did not answer my question: Where am i manipulating what he said when i simply quoted him?
    I'm using in the context of your thread title. You quoted me after I stated such argument contesting it,  hmmmmmm
    So because of my thread title the quote from Chris Roberts is manipulated? Now that does not make sense at all.

Where have i manipulated anything in that post?

Why did you delete your post stating i manipulated Chris Roberts quote?

All you have done this entire thread is bash and harass me. There was never an honest argument from you. You are deceiving and manipulating going even so far as deleting posts to hide it.

You have made up your mind about me right from the start and you made me your target of harassment me because you think i said something bad about a video game you like.

This is utter insanity and i am not surprised that some people think that the Star Citizen community is toxic and cult like. You just proven in this very thread beyond the shadow of a doubt that this is the truth.

Well done. I will stay away from this area of the forum in the future.
    WalkinGlennMaxBaconTheScavengerKylerankikoodutroa8MrMelGibson
    edited February 2018
    WalkinGlennTheScavengerGdemami
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    gervaise1 said:

The title is misleading. 

I concur.

Have fun 
    WalkinGlennBabuinixTheScavengerMrMelGibson
This discussion has been closed.