Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your three favorite cities in the mmorpgs you have played?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
Mine are:

1. Kelethin, Original Everquest

2  Divinity's Reach/Lion's Arch, Guild Wars 2

3. Ironforge, World of Warcraft

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Thebeasttt

Comments

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    1: Altdorf - Warhammer Online

2. Iron Forge - World of Warcraft

3. Qeynos - Everquest 2 (Vanilla Qeynos)

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    1. Stormwind, Ironforge (tied for 1st, WoW)
    2. Valencia (BDO)
    3. Grana, Calpheon (tied for 3rd, BDO)

Special mention to Black Citadel, Charr capital (GW2).

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Giran - Lineage 2
    Aden - Lineage 2
    Valencia - Black Desert
    IceAge
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    edited February 2018
    Tir na Nog, Hibernia, otherwise known as TNN. Dark Age of Camelot Unchained. 

Rivendell, Middle Earth. The Lord of the Rings Online. Walking in to that majestic city for the first time is breathtaking. I had beautiful screenshots saved in that game for a decade and then my backup HDD broke. *sob*

Kingsmouth, Maine. The Secret World. Opinions on TSW varied but it is universally regarded as creating one of the creepiest and most iconic settings.

Runners up. Midgar, Final Fantasy VII. Asmodae, Aion. Cyrodiil, Tamriel. The Elder Scrolls Online.
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    edited February 2018
    Rivervale - EQ - only because of all the dead newbs at the entrance to Kithkor Forest, whoever thought it would be a good idea to put a starting city next to a zone that turns into a brutal nightmare at night.. is an epic troll

Isenhorst - Black Gold Online  - a SteamPunk city built on a giant gear in a volcano like setting. if you like steampunk, this place delivers in a visual manner.

Holbrak -  GW2 - city of the Norn, it is one of the only paces that I have been in that felt small and cozy, yet at they same time, being in awe of it's sheer majestic size.. not to mention the tooth.. 

Post edited by Ungood on
    YukmarcAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    In no order:

Camelot - DAOC, showed me what MMOs could do with a city.
    Bree - Tolkein brought to life.
    Gorowyn - EQ2 I actually felt this was a city of Evil.
    Kylerancollekt
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    edited February 2018
    1) Ocllo, Ultima Online (T2A). Easily the city I've spent the most time in any MMO. Sentimental more than anything else, and I could have probably swapped this choice for any other city in UO. They were all special.

2) Kaladim, Everquest. Also fairly sentimental, but pretty amazing for 1999. Much like my first pick, I could have traded for any number of other cities from EQ.

The only reason I chose from separate MMO's was to avoid a list of cities only from Ultima Online. I could have included a third pick from World of Warcraft, and while its' capitols are interesting and easy on the eyes, they're mostly just set pieces. So many of the buildings aren't used or accessible to players, and for some reason that's an important factor for me. Couldn't tell you why, exactly. It just is.

I thought this was a fun exercise, though. It's telling that of the twenty or so MMO's I've played, there were really only two or three games that stuck out for me in regards to cities that I could remember by name and felt I had a connection with, the majority of which were released prior to 2000. Kinda strange.
    Post edited by Lawlmonster on

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    In no particular order:

1) Talking Island, Lineage 1, never a more sociable place, my first online dungeon and endless camp raid boss (9 hrs, only to have another high level guild show up and take the boss from us) Runner up, Giran.

2) Camelot, DAOC really captured the magic for me. Runner up, TNN.

3) Name "Unknown" - Shadowbane - My first player built clan city, its loss to a ravaging 3:00 am horde drove me from the game almost immediately.

MadFrenchieIceAge

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    1. Iron Forge -Wow

2. New/Old Gridania -FFARR

3.Stormwind-Wow
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Kelethin Everquest

Freeport Everquest 2

Ironforge WoW
    Chamber of Chains
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    edited February 2018
    Mos Eisley - Star Wars Galaxies. After finishing the tutorial, it blew my mind how full of life this city was.

Divinity’s Reach - Guild Wars 2 I know it’s been said before but it’s incredibly breathtaking.

Mournhold - ESO
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I'm not much of one for cities in MMORPGs, none of them really stand out for me and I prefer spending my time out in the wild. That said, my three:

Mos Eisley - SWG: Galaxies cities weren't great, they always felt a bit lifeless. But, Mos Eisley had the Star Wars feel done right. It was large and dirty and also my first experience of a city in an MMO. 

Lothlorien - LotRO: too small for my liking, but what was there was fantastic and felt magical and elfish. Really loved all the tree-running quests too, despite having no monsters in the city there was a ton of stuff to do there. 

Inevitable City - WAR: the place was just huge! A bit cheesy in places but I really enjoyed it. It wasn't just banks/auction house and some nice scenery like most cities, there was tons of stuff in there, including entrances to a load of dungeons. The city also became a PvP zone during city sieges which just added to the fun. I felt this city was better than Altdorf due to the amount of rubbish/dirt that was about, Altdorf just had too many clean lines and flat surfaces for my liking.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Back in the heyday of mmo's when cities were real social hubs,
    Rome - Anarchy Online
    Omni Entertainment - Anarchy Online
    Reets Retreat - Anarchy Online
    These places were always full of players getting together for meet ups and just partying all weekend and i really miss that in mmo's today. No one does this anymore. I remember meeting new people and just hanging out in the city nightclubs for hours on weekend nights. MMO's don't have real social hubs like this anymore.
    ZombieCat
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    New Targonor: Vanguard.

Khal: Vanguard.

Bordinar's Cleft: Vanguard.
    Thebeasttt

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Anchorhead - SWG

Just because it was small and the developers did not go out of their way to make sure that getting from one end to the other did not involve 30 switch backs, 10 loops, and 5 levels.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    WAR: Altdorf
    MXO: The entire Megacity. :P
    City of Villains: Grandville.
    Tokkenwingood
  • CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
    I don't have as many cool old school games that I played.. so:

~Meridian, I believe the Defiant city was in Rift.
    ~A couple from RuneScape.
    ~All cities i visited in Final Fantasy XIV.
    I so want to play that game again. My account is probably lost though..

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Ironforge,Undercity(WoW)
    and Divinity's Reach?(GW2) that one really feels like a city because of the size

honorable mention:  Ul'dah(FFXIV) shame it's cut off by loading screens.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Jita - Eve Online: 2,000+ pilots there at any time of the day, trading hub in all of EVE. 

Giran = Lineage 2 - i spent hour perusing people selling stuff and looking for buck, i had made ton of coin in L2 without buying or botting any currency. Just buying low and selling high. 

Main city name in Mortal Online = It was quite vast as I remember

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Holtzburg - AC
    Arwick - AC before explosion
    Qol'Bar (sp) AC before hoousing
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    Fangrim said:
    New Targonor: Vanguard.

Khal: Vanguard.

Bordinar's Cleft: Vanguard.
     My god, so many great memories at these locations and these places actually FELT like cities.  Was awesome
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Has anyone noticed how few MMOs from the last 5 years are on this thread? We are not talking gameplay or cash shops, just cities. If they were from more recent MMOs they were still large open worlds, that's what makes for cities we remember.
    KyleranAlBQuirkyThunder073waynejr2SavageHorizon
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited February 2018
    Elven Starting Village - Lineage 2
    Stormwind - Old World OF Warcraft
    Tech Haven - Neocron

These are just 3, could add the EverQuest 2 Towns if I remembered the name, and the VS Sanctuary in PlanetSide 1.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    ffxiv - Yanxia the OST is really beautiful

WoW - Lordaeron city? I hope they can rebuild it:

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited February 2018
    It's tough to pick only three, I guess I'd go with Bree, Minas Tirith and Rivendell. But our hobbit town of Twigwarren is a cozy place too...
    :wink:

A few honorary mentions on the side, the largest is maybe MC in CO, then there's Kingsmouth in TSW (not the rocks-gated and funneled Legends version), OT in AoC, and as was mentioned above, DR.
    As much as I loathe GW2, Divinity's Reach is quite something... Same goes for the cube town of the Asura.
    Heck, if it's large human city with a hole in the middle, I'd drop here PE in Neverwinter too :smiley:  but that's instanced as hell. Looks nice though.