Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trove is the Most Original MMO Right Now - Bill Murphy - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageTrove is the Most Original MMO Right Now - Bill Murphy - MMORPG.com

Often in the MMO world, we get a little tired of seeing the same game released by different companies and called something new. There are gems that try to break the mold, but few really just go for it. Perhaps it’s the general freedom afforded by the IP and visual stylings, but the bravest MMO on the market right now is none other than Trion Worlds’ Trove.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlvonuAlvonu Member UncommonPosts: 34
    It's Trion tho' - Enough said.
    snoockyViper482unclemoLrdEtriusMicro_Cutschocolate42069SamhaelAsmodeuXCryolitycalholdenhamletand 7 others.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    If only original=good. I tried it, was a little too original for me. But that is why we have chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Unless of course you don't like ice cream, in which case you are a commie pig. ;)
    KyleranxxBoneZxxSamhaelHyokaDavodtheTuttWaanSiegeMachineLackingMMOPsym0nMyrdynnand 1 other.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    edited February 2018

Alvonu said:

Yup. Trion is permabanned for me along with EA.

I am surprised Mr. Hartsman isn't the first to reply. He must be busy spaming his advocacy for Leftism elsewhere this morning.
    SBFordMicro_CutsShaighbobbymcswansonmalikhigh1978StjerneoddLiljnaAsher555
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I can't stand the art style. It's like trading in your 80s G.I. Joe figures for Fisher Price's Little People.
    SBForddeniterGobstopper3DAllerleirauhMensurScotszharper

unclemo said:

Alvonu said:

I am surprised Mr. Hartsman isn't the first to reply. He must be busy spaming his advocacy for Leftism elsewhere this morning.

Lolz. He beat me by one minute.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Original my ass copied the successful Minecraft.
    OzmodanScorchienSamhaelHyokaAsmodeuXFlyByKnightYoofaloofSiegeMachinealivenPsym0nand 1 other.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    It's just not very interesting.  I could never play it for more than 15 minutes at a time, but then I'm not into building really unless it has a purpose like Fortnite.
    Kylerankjempff
    DMKano said:
    unclemo said:

Alvonu said:

Name a single Californian based game studio where majority of the devs are not heavily leaning left.

Hartsman is pretty outspoken about his political views on his personal Twitter account - but again this has diddly squat to do with Trove, as Hartsman didn't write a single line of code for Trove.

This is a Trove thread, right?
    It is a Trove thread, which is developed and published by Trion, whose CEO is Scott Hartsman, who promotes Leftist politics in addition to what many consider to be unethical business practices, all of which are subject to scrutiny by this community. 
    ShaighPanther2103SBFordTheScavengercheyanebobbymcswansondjnj2000KyleranStjerneoddtirwenand 8 others.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    unclemo said:
    DMKano said:
    unclemo said:

Alvonu said:

Name a single Californian based game studio where majority of the devs are not heavily leaning left.

Hartsman is pretty outspoken about his political views on his personal Twitter account - but again this has diddly squat to do with Trove, as Hartsman didn't write a single line of code for Trove.

It is a Trove thread, which is developed and published by Trion, whose CEO is Scott Hartsman, who promotes Leftist politics in addition to what many consider to be unethical business practices, all of which are subject to scrutiny by this community. 

Found the Trump supporter. 

Can't talk about ANYthing without bringing politics into it.

Even when it has zero relation to anything.
    OzmodanSBFordTheScavengercheyanebobbymcswansonKyleranStjerneoddSandmanjwHyokaLazarus71and 7 others.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Trove was an amazing game.. till around 8K power, and then the RNG grind to get that Gem combo, was just soul crushing.

I keep wanting to get back into it, but... the burn out was very strong. However, all the other parts, were simply top notch.
    Kylerand_20Hyoka
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• MasoodVoonMasoodVoon Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Trump is superior but as far as Trove goes more power to Trion. The longer it is successful then the longer I can play Rift before they run out of money.
    KyleranElquin
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    unclemo said:
    DMKano said:
    unclemo said:

Alvonu said:

Honestly I don't care who they support, there's absolutely no point in bringing the devs politics into anything. I don't care if the dev is a republican, a liberal, a leftist, a right wing, anything, as long as the game doesn't have those views being spouted from an NPC or something. 
    SBFord[Deleted User]Kylerand_20StjerneoddLazarus71unfilteredJWpantaroTacticalZombehSinsaiand 2 others.
    unclemo said:
    DMKano said:
    unclemo said:

Alvonu said:

As a consumer I believe Scott Hartsman's combination of politics and business and his pay to win business model to be detrimental to Trion's games and gaming in general. 
    OzmodanTheScavengerStjerneoddElquinBeezerbeez[Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited February 2018
    unclemo said:
    unclemo said:
    DMKano said:
    unclemo said:

Alvonu said:

As a consumer I believe Scott Hartsman's combination of politics and business and his pay to win business model to be detrimental to Trion's games and gaming in general. 
    How, specifically, does his politics detrimentally affect Trion games and gaming in general?

I'm curious.  The business side is apparent: it directly relates to Trion's games.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    SBFordSinsai

edited February 2018
    Are we sure it's not PUBG????  I mean, if the "new" definition is applied, PUBG is included, and it breaks the mold far more heavily than Trove.  It has garnered multiple copycats.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    If you can get by the voxels.  The game looks too 80's for my taste.  Secondly, it is owned by Trion and I won't play any of their games.

As for PUBG, it is a copycat also.
    RyuushimaDeadSpockManWithNoTan
  • drumchannelldrumchannell Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Bioware/Funcom/EA/Trion

Nope.
    unclemopantaro[Deleted User]
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    p2w4days
    BruceYeeElquin
    I really enjoyed Trove with my son for about 5 weeks towards the end of Summer 2016, but the monetization strategies employed by Trion left a bad taste in mouth.  Over time you can see how they've adjusted the game's design to push people to the cash shop more frequently.  It felt like the old bait and switch to me; get kids hooked on the game and then start locking their favorite toys behind a paywall a little bit at a time.  Seems like an underhanded way to do business and it's what drove me away from Trove.
    What kind of monetization would have kept you playing, and even paying?

Honestly just curious.  We talk a lot about the issues with monetization, but not much aboutahbo we would change specific monetizations to be more palatable.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I really enjoyed Trove with my son for about 5 weeks towards the end of Summer 2016, but the monetization strategies employed by Trion left a bad taste in mouth.  Over time you can see how they've adjusted the game's design to push people to the cash shop more frequently.  It felt like the old bait and switch to me; get kids hooked on the game and then start locking their favorite toys behind a paywall a little bit at a time.  Seems like an underhanded way to do business and it's what drove me away from Trove.
    What kind of monetization would have kept you playing, and even paying?

Honestly just curious.  We talk a lot about the issues with monetization, but not much aboutahbo we would change specific monetizations to be more palatable.
    That's a good question.

It's been a while and my memory probably isn't crystal clear on specifics, but I remember that there were items which could for a long time be acquired in-game that were changed to be exclusively cash shop items.  And the gem system introduced in the expansion was insanely RNG heavy and the only reasonable way to mitigate the RNG was from cash shop items to protect your gems from breaking when you tried to upgrade them.  It just objectively seemed to me like the entire system was designed, from the ground up, to drive you to the cash to buy these gem-protection-items and if you didn't have said items your experience in the game was going to suffer.

As to what monetization would I prefer?  There's an option subscription which I think was reasonable.  I greatly dislike the gem system forcing you into the cash shop if you want to upgrade your gear.  I think that's terrible monetization.  I guess I'd prefer to see the cash shop filled with more cosmetic stuff for those folks who want to concentrate on the building/minecraft-esque aspect of the game.

Isn't is possible to use the market in game to get cash shop currency from other players for flux? I remember seeing something like that. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    4 letters ...LMAO.

We just saw a Trion thread popup a few days ago,must be money time and some serious ass kissing.
    But yeah the Lego  idea is sooooooo new,someone should tell Lego about that.Yeah Lego has only been around since 1949,70 years,yep sure seems like an original idea.

"Brave mmo"again lol,a super low budget,easy to create content for is about as brave as deciding to wager a $2 bet at the horse races,oh yeah be careful spending that $2.

Inb4 the Atlas Reactor thread pops up next and the "most unique game ever".
    Nilden

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    ^ so true and the crazy part about what Sedryn wrote is that the progression that requires hundreds/thousands of dollars or thousands of hours to progress to end keeps getting up'd. The only rewards you get for time or money spent are cosmetics and being able to do ultra shadow tower which is just a higher difficulty or the normal and hard modes that you can experience minus the extra rewards at 5k power level. So basically if you don't have thousands of hours to burn or hundreds/thousands of dollars to spend there are better options out there with less p2w cause this game "bait and switches" like crazy. In their p2w defense though this game has a shockingly large number of completely free players from developing countries that lag the game for everyone into oblivion so their need to milk paying players is somewhat justified?

They also removed Trump's hair style from Trove which I thought was dumb af cause the hair style looked pretty cool.
    unclemo
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Wizardry said:
    4 letters ...LMAO.

We just saw a Trion thread popup a few days ago,must be money time and some serious ass kissing.
    But yeah the Lego  idea is sooooooo new,someone should tell Lego about that.Yeah Lego has only been around since 1949,70 years,yep sure seems like an original idea.

"Brave mmo"again lol,a super low budget,easy to create content for is about as brave as deciding to wager a $2 bet at the horse races,oh yeah be careful spending that $2.

Inb4 the Atlas Reactor thread pops up next and the "most unique game ever".
    Yeah, calling Trove original and brave was pretty LOL have to agree.
    Elquin

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I stopped playing after a couple of weeks because it's visual diarhea when you get inside of towers.
    [Deleted User]