Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of the Studio

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:
    If say, we knew that he thought that he was stating from a much further along time line, (maybe due to work he had already done on his own for example) that would allow us to understand...
    ...and like I said before, it wouldn't, because you are not a programmer therefore you cannot evaluate the basis of the projection - how much is done, what needs to be done and how much resources it will take.

Trying to judge projects from outsider perspective is simply put, stupid. More qualification and experience you have, less likely you are going to do it...
    We shall disagree on this, mainly because Project Management, is it's own skill set, and has nothing to do with ones ability to program.
    Gdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:
    If say, we knew that he thought that he was stating from a much further along time line, (maybe due to work he had already done on his own for example) that would allow us to understand...
    ...and like I said before, it wouldn't, because you are not a programmer therefore you cannot evaluate the basis of the projection - how much is done, what needs to be done and how much resources it will take.

Trying to judge projects from outsider perspective is simply put, stupid. More qualification and experience you have, less likely you are going to do it...
    That is a ridiculous concept.   This is a much simpler one:

Hold people accountable for what THEY say and promise.  If the home builder says they will do X in Y time then expect them to do it. If the caterer says they will have X food prepared at Y time then expect the, to do it. If the programmer says they will do X in Y time then expect him to do it.   

Shit happens in any profession.  That’s why the “professionals” get paid.

Ok. now i know for sure.. you have never dealt with managing a large scale project.. ever. 

Lets use something simple that you may grasp.

Lets say you are planning a wedding. So you have several professionals you have to deal with. 
    • Cake
    • Music
    • Food
    • Photo
    Now, that is a short list, depending on how good you are, how involved you are, and a slew of other things, your job could be taking care of everything, right down to making sure that the Groomsmen all have matching cuff-links that have the couples initials engraved in them.

But lets go with the simple stuff.

Lets say the baker says they will have your cake ready. No stress, right? It will take at least a week to make it given it's complexity and the design features the couple want involved, it's an expensive ass cake, but .. you gave the baker a month notice, worked with them in the past, and know they can handle it, all is going according to plan.

What happens if they call you two days before the wedding, explain they had a break in, and the thief in their rush dumped flower into the ovens, which started a fire in the shop and they will not be able to make the cake, (I'm not even going to get into how this will affect the other 12 cakes you have ordered from them, for the sake of brevity ).

Now if you think, you get to hold them to the fact they promised you a cake.. you would be dead wrong, because YOU promised the cake.. and YOU contracted out the Baker.. that means YOU are now SOL. and YOU alone will be blamed... Sure, the baker may refund you, but the money is not the real problem at this point

But at least you have 2 days to work with the couple, to try and get them another cake..which will not nor shall it ever be the cake they first wanted, but..they will (maybe) settle, because they understand the situation.

But some times they become insufferable assholes about it, and don't care that things happened, a get off huffy demanding the cake they wanted, on the day they wanted it on.. because you said you could do it....

Yah.. no argument, its your fault they won't get their cake because you are the one in charge. and.. yah.. they wont get their cake, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it either.

Welcome to real world of Project Management.

This is also why.. regardless of the disciplines involved.. people that do Project Management understand each others burdens. 

In that regard, I may never become a wedding planner in my life (and I don't want to).. but I understood where the one that planned my wedding was coming from. 
    Slapshot1188JamesGoblinYashaX
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AshyLarry24AshyLarry24 Member UncommonPosts: 208
    What's weird to me is the backers seem less upset about the delays then the people that didn't back the game at all lol.
    Ungood[Deleted User]StaalBurgher
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    And come on you know that...  
    That is the point - he doesn't...
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited February 2018
    Ungood said:
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:

That is a ridiculous concept.   This is a much simpler one:

Hold people accountable for what THEY say and promise.  If the home builder says they will do X in Y time then expect them to do it. If the caterer says they will have X food prepared at Y time then expect the, to do it. If the programmer says they will do X in Y time then expect him to do it.   

Shit happens in any profession.  That’s why the “professionals” get paid.

Ok. now i know for sure.. you have never dealt with managing a large scale project.. ever. 

Lets use something simple that you may grasp.

Lets say you are planning a wedding. So you have several professionals you have to deal with. 
    • Cake
    • Music
    • Food
    • Photo
    Now, that is a short list, depending on how good you are, how involved you are, and a slew of other things, your job could be taking care of everything, right down to making sure that the Groomsmen all have matching cuff-links that have the couples initials engraved in them.

But lets go with the simple stuff.

Lets say the baker says they will have your cake ready. No stress, right? It will take at least a week to make it given it's complexity and the design features the couple want involved, it's an expensive ass cake, but .. you gave the baker a month notice, worked with them in the past, and know they can handle it, all is going according to plan.

What happens if they call you two days before the wedding, explain they had a break in, and the thief in their rush dumped flower into the ovens, which started a fire in the shop and they will not be able to make the cake, (I'm not even going to get into how this will affect the other 12 cakes you have ordered from them, for the sake of brevity ).

Now if you think, you get to hold them to the fact they promised you a cake.. you would be dead wrong, because YOU promised the cake.. and YOU contracted out the Baker.. that means YOU are now SOL. and YOU alone will be blamed... Sure, the baker may refund you, but the money is not the real problem at this point

But at least you have 2 days to work with the couple, to try and get them another cake..which will not nor shall it ever be the cake they first wanted, but..they will (maybe) settle, because they understand the situation.

But some times they become insufferable assholes about it, and don't care that things happened, a get off huffy demanding the cake they wanted, on the day they wanted it on.. because you said you could do it....

Yah.. no argument, its your fault they won't get their cake because you are the one in charge. and.. yah.. they wont get their cake, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it either.

Welcome to real world of Project Management.

This is also why.. regardless of the disciplines involved.. people that do Project Management understand each others burdens. 

In that regard, I may never become a wedding planner in my life (and I don't want to).. but I understood where the one that planned my wedding was coming from. 
    That doesn't really apply here.  Jeremy isn't planning an event with several disjointed entities.  He was working with one other business, and should've had his own hands on their product during that time.  That's not at all the same as calling a baker and receiving word the baker would have the cake ready by X day.

EDIT- also allow me to mention that most all businesses can take out insurance policies for just this reason.  If your business depends upon another business providing you with goods to do your job, you can take out a policy to cover liability for your company if your supplier fails to meet the order, causing you to fail to provide your service or good appropriately to your customer.
    GdemamiSlapshot1188JamesGoblin

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Ungood said:
    We shall disagree on this, mainly because Project Management, is it's own skill set, and has nothing to do with ones ability to program.
    Never said it does...
  • mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    edited February 2018
    What's weird to me is the backers seem less upset about the delays then the people that didn't back the game at all lol.
    Agreed!! I have wondered about this all along. 
    AshyLarry24Ungood
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Well, make sure you have me in the right column... upset backer. :wink:
    Ungood
    --------------------------------------------
    edited February 2018
    You can easily sell your pledge on a 3rd party site like I already mentioned.  Then you don't have to be a disgruntled backer anymore!
    mystichazeUngood
    You can easily sell your pledge on a 3rd party site like I already mentioned.  Then you don't have to be a disgruntled backer anymore!
    What about legally? If it's anything like other MMORPGs, such account selling transactions are against the ToS.
    edited February 2018
    What about legally? If it's anything like other MMORPGs, such account selling transactions are against the ToS.
    What account? There is not even a game.. much less an account for that game. As such I highly doubt that you have signed a ToS or an EULA yet, because you have not logged into the game, (which is often where those things are)

lahnmir said:
    This is getting way too Meta for me.

Then again, we still haven't discussed world hunger, the meddling of the Russians and several other interesting things in this thread so I predict at least 1k more of quality posts. How is the state of the studio btw? 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    i think world hunger hits after the second week of the game, after everyone went crazy framing the hell out of the game so there is nothing left...

Can't wait to read the salt.

Even if it is, I'm sure they won't call the video game police on you :smile:

I've heard of people using them successfully with no problem but make sure you do your research, to avoid getting ripped off.  Use a payment method where you can cancel if need be.
    Ungood
  • DleatherusDleatherus Member UncommonPosts: 168
    best way to do it is by using a third party broker that is trusted by both the seller and the buyer - that way neither seller nor buyer risk anything - if one party doesn't fulfill their commitment to the third party broker, the other party gets back what they forwarded to the third party broker as their part of the agreement

i myself have brokered several account transactions
    AshyLarry24mystichaze
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Ungood said:
    What account? There is not even a game.. much less an account for that game. As such I highly doubt that you have signed a ToS or an EULA yet, because you have not logged into the game, (which is often where those things are)
    He was talking about the TOS that was already talked on page 4 of this thread.

How did you manage to make three posts on that page without reading what others were posting.
    YashaXSlapshot1188JamesGoblin

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Let. it. go. wow , tired of seeing this post
    This thread needs locked.

Shame the forum automatically opens this thread every time you visit.....

Oh wait,  it doesn't.   Walk away, just walk away....
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Kyleran said:

I don’t understand why people who say they support the game would repeatedly bump a thread about the company needing to layoff employees.  I said this earlier in the thread when there were maybe 6k views... There are now over 12,000...

/shrug

I mean.. it’s almost like one of those emails when someone spams the whole company and then the next 500 emails are people replying to all asking to be removed from it...

tweedledumb99JamesGoblin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Kyleran said:

I don’t understand why people who say they support the game would repeatedly bump a thread about the company needing to layoff employees.  I said this earlier in the thread when there were maybe 6k views... There are now over 12,000...

/shrug

I mean.. it’s almost like one of those emails when someone spams the whole company and then the next 500 emails are people replying to all asking to be removed from it...

Those are always funny, I remember I sent one of those through an admin-dashboard and forgot that I could opt out from receiving replies.

And the e-mail was just a reminder for a meeting. I got around 100 replies and it buried the actual e-mails I was supposed to read, lol.
    JamesGoblin
    edited February 2018
    Vrika said:
    Ungood said:

How did you manage to make three posts on that page without reading what others were posting.
    @Slapshot1188 ; will be glad to explain to you that was Browserwear, Browserwarp and not legally binding. Or did you miss our several page long discussion on that subject matter?

Post edited by Ungood on

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Ungood said:
    Vrika said:
    Ungood said:

@Slapshot1188 ; will be glad to explain to you that was Browserwear, Browserwarp and not legally binding. Or did you miss our several page long discussion on that subject matter?

You mean the discussion where just about everyone was agreeing that a TOS is worth less then the paper it’s printed on?
    JamesGoblinYashaX
    Kefo said:
    You mean the discussion where just about everyone was agreeing that a TOS is worth less then the paper it’s printed on?
    The smart people in that discussion understood that it was being Browserwrap that was what made it worthless.
    YashaX

Seems CoE isn't the only company denying refunds on pre-orders. Will be interesting to see how this turns out. 

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/21/nintendo-accused-of-illegally-denying-refunds-on-pre-orders-in-europe/
    GdemamiJamesGoblinMadFrenchie
  • OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    OrangeBoy said:
    And 31 pages later, I'd like to reiterate the obvious:

Hurr Durr.  Hurr Durr, indeed ....
    Your parents must be proud  :D
    Stop trolling, please.  It's beneath you!
    That wasn't a troll, it was a blatant observation that you seem like no one would want you at a party. Or for that matter, any other time or place. Stop being a sensitive man-child and grow a pair
    GdemamiYashaX
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Seems CoE isn't the only company denying refunds on pre-orders. Will be interesting to see how this turns out. 

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/21/nintendo-accused-of-illegally-denying-refunds-on-pre-orders-in-europe/
    I would love to see one of the big players with deep pockets challenge these laws just to get a precedence setting decision one way or the other. 
    Wellspring

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

And on top of that, trolling isn't beneath Orange Boy.  There's a reason he trolls these forums, instead of the CoE forums and discord.  Probably got tired of the ban hammer.
    [Deleted User]StaalBurgher