Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vampire MMORPG

2»

Comments

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

what about a real D&D mmorpg based off the Ravenloft series? now that would be a kool mmo IMO ::::28::

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• 7Fold7Fold Member Posts: 318
    I agree a Vampire type MMOrpg would be fun, if it was handled right. It would have to have some form of pvp though, Think of the game Vampire Bloodlines Masquerade where they had different bloodlines or clans, if you will. Alot of different types of vampires who controlled territroy. The game would be completly boring if it had no pvp it was based on and everquest leveling type system to where you go around sucking blood out of rats for the first 10 levels, then advanced to toads and so forth.
  • daniellex55daniellex55 Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by 7Fold
    I agree a Vampire type MMOrpg would be fun, if it was handled right. It would have to have some form of pvp though, Think of the game Vampire Bloodlines Masquerade where they had different bloodlines or clans, if you will. Alot of different types of vampires who controlled territroy. The game would be completly boring if it had no pvp it was based on and everquest leveling type system to where you go around sucking blood out of rats for the first 10 levels, then advanced to toads and so forth.

I don't think that having a Vampire game with no pvp should even be considerd as an option, especialy if there were vampire hunters, or players that were non-vampire. That would take the fun out of the game. I doubt anyone would want to be a vampire that couldnt feed on and terrify the innocents.

• LordMagnusLordMagnus Member CommonPosts: 1,322

A vampire mmo would rule but the devs are too busy making their fantasy clone mmos to make a good vampire game.

DecklandEricBreheny
  • DecklandEricBrehenyDecklandEricBreheny Member CommonPosts: 5
    Hochete said:

Originally posted by Vayle

Originally posted by Finwe

I was writing out a long drawn out post about what would make a good vamp game. But truth of the matter is. It would lose the mystique, the magic; because the MMORPG industry at the moment is too shallow.
    How could you make a MMOG game like Vampire the Masquerade, that makes you feel special as a vampire, or a werewolf?
    To keep that dark, gritty feel, to have the underworld, the mystery? And not have vamp's crawling all around the city in broad nightlight feeding off every poor sap they come across?
    The industry is just too shallow to do a MMORPG revolving around supernatural creatures like vamps, or werewolves.
    Because if everyones a vamp, it doesn't feel like you're really a vamp. It's like hero's in MMOG's now adays: There are none, because everyone acts like one. There are no hero's in a world full of hero's, just as there would be no "einsteins" if everyone was an einstein. It's cutting out of the norm, and rising above, that gives us that sense of "einsteins" "hero's", or the mysterious, vampire.
    You need 1. A deterrent to NOT be a vampire. And for only the very hardcore and dedicated to wield the power of a vampire, without ending up fubared before they can have their first feeding.
    2. A VERY human world, with tons of people picking non-violent professions, going about their business like the real world does. And rarely seeing a vampire, unless they're very lucky, or unlucky.
    When everyones a vamp slayer, a werewolf, or a vampire: Then it just wouldn't be as grand, as pictured.

Yes you're right. The only possible solution I could think of would be to make an mmo with hundreds of different characters, races, classes ect... to chose from. Only then would it seem special. You would have to have a VERY diverse character world. Not impossible but the cost of making such a game is probably not something anyone is going to ever attempt.

I really dont think it'd be THAT hard to keep it like you say, dark and gritty, where the general feel of the game is an 'underworld' of vampires, slayers and warewolves. you could simply have different 'areas' for the 3 races to exist. a bit like realms in DAoC, you could have perhaps a huge forest region for warewolves, an underground network for vampires, and perhaps towns for vampire hunters.

you could then give each race the ability to travel into eachothers 'zones', however of course it'd be increadibly dangerous for a vampire to wander into a town, as it would be increadibly dangerous for a warewolf to wander into an underground network. incentives could then be put in place to encourage people to hunt eachother, vampires could get bonus's for murdering innocents in towns, vampire hunters could be given experience for protecting innocents in towns, and warewolves could get experience for massacres in towns.

one thing i think should be avoided is the lightening up of the vampire genre as was seen in vampire: the masquerade. now, i only played Bloodlines, which was good fun, but i HATED the idea that i was peanalized for murdering innocent people, for christ sake thats what vampires are FOR! i think if a serious vamp MMO is to be released it HAS to stick to the gruesome feel of the genre, even if it means making it an 18 certificate (actually i think that'd be a brilliant selling point).

im getting sick and tired of the same warrior and wizzard, ogre and elf fantasy MMO's, its really time for something darker and more sinister!

What we need is a new company other than WhiteWolf to become a player in creating a true VampireTheMasquerade MMORP Game, when you play quests in Bloodlines it is not too suprising to encounter up to 100 of the LA PDs finest if you are trying to find out about a certain Egyptian Coffin which had an Egyptian Elder Vampire come out of his or her coffin and ahhhh "exterminate the whole crew of the Elizabeth Dane".   You have an PISSY PANT'S SEBASTIAN LACROIX ranting at you as you are the Character Deckland Erik Breheny and LaCroix sent you without backup to that ship trying to find out for him what is so important about the Coffin for LaCroix believes, "The Ragnarok Jyhad" will begin and he is completely terrified at loosing his position in Bloodlines, we need city maps worldwide and building landmarks to make fully Vampire Characters that will help the Camarilla and put the PissyPants LaCroix in his place.
  • DecklandEricBrehenyDecklandEricBreheny Member CommonPosts: 5

A vampire mmo would rule but the devs are too busy making their fantasy clone mmos to make a good vampire game.

Yes Lord Magnus for kiddy type that are less than 12years old.   That is where the money is to be made not in 20-50+ people, I think WhiteWolf does not have the guts to make such a game anymore.
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited February 2018
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • Pr3sid3ntSkr00bPr3sid3ntSkr00b Member UncommonPosts: 53
    You could use Nosgoth as a basis for classes/action. I think it’s from Legacy
     of Kain world. Vampires vs Vampire hunters. Was a pretty cool versus game. Idk if it is still around or not. 
  • DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Dark Eden, enjoy. it may be pay to win played it for a couple of weeks about 12 years ago lol.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I actually think it may be interesting, i'm sitting here deciding which faction I would play. 

Werewolf? Vamp? or Slayer. It would be interesting if vamps could only be played at night. 

I guess, I'd go werewolf or vamp, with a leaning toward vamp. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Please don't bump threads that died 12 years ago.
    Phry
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Just go get turned into a vampire in ESO
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Albatroes said:
    Just go get turned into a vampire in ESO

That was a nice quest and the vampire abilities were cool, but when you start raids, the "first" one anyway it became such a liability with all the fire I had to revert to mortal. :)
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    This is the ultimate thread necro.  I'll bet not a single poster from the original thread ever looks at this forum today, lol.

You have just made me realise I joined this site 14 years ago...thanks I guess.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    We do ofc at this point know we can thank CCP and their magnificent inability to make games for not having a Vampire MMO.... 

CCP and EvE proves the truth in the old saying about blind hens and corn... Heck the fact that EvE has not crumbled in to a pile of coded goo is a minor miracle to me. 

[Deleted User]

This have been a good conversation

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Everything I have read about vampires in general in all media is they are about the personalities of the vampires and lots of political drama. This will not translate to a mmorpg.

What you will end up with is vampire abilities as in ESO. You are a vampire just for the abilities that synergize with your actual class. 

WoD aka White Wolf lore/game is based heavily on roleplay. Sorry but expecting roleplay in the current mmorpg climate is a sure fail.
    Phry
  • AegirisAegiris Member UncommonPosts: 49
    This is the ultimate necro.

To what depths of MMORPG.com hell did you have to go to dig this up?
    Kyleran
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Necro is an ironic status for a vampire thread.

Put me down for Underworld Online.
    Scot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Vampires, Werewolves, Slayers . It would be kind of like 3 realm vs Realm like Dark Age of Camelot. Each faction has their own safe realm they can safely PvE in. The 3 "realms" would be very different style of game play.

Vampire realm would be mostly political missions and power play style gaming, not necessarily combat oriented, more "Mage" like play. The werewolf realm would be a lot more brutal combat oriented style of play (Fighter) and the Slayer or human realm would be perhaps a little more stealth, gadgetry, cleverness and "Thief" style of game play.

This would make choosing a faction not just a different set of combat powers in a Monster Bash grind (Dark age of Camelot, WoW) , instead it would be 3 different Styles of MMO play depending on the realm you chose, Mage (Vampires), Fighters (Werewolves), Thief (Humans).

There can be classes within each realm which can be more magic thief or combat oriented (Humans have Priests, Hunters, and Slayers for example) but in general the Vampires have powers, werewolves have a lot of combat and Humans have weapons tech and "faith" and play more assassin like.. 

HOWEVER, the "Public" realm where all 3 factions can go to "PvP" would be the normal world and all 3 can engage in all sorts of pvp questing or objectives which include different mixes of all 3 play styles. "Questing" in the PvP world can be Vampire vs Slayer oriented, or Wereworlf vs Vampire oriented or all 3 against each other in some way incorporating different amount of all 3 game play styles. 

This would make a great MMO with a unique realm mechanic that appealed too more than one style of player. It could be very popular if made correctly (i.e. not 12 different "Combat" classes who all  kill things differently to grind XP)

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!