Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Voice Acting 1-30 Leveling Zones WoW (addon)

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

"Hello guys, I have always wanted to have voiced quests in wow, and after searching I found out that there was no such thing, so I decided to try my best to see how it goes. Since patch 7.3.5 is all about trying to immerse the player in the world of azeroth, why not add voice to make it even better?"

See more at: https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/gag-voice-acted-quest-descriptions

He is making an addon for it, it could be fun if some proffs trying to do this!

GameolioDan

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Be interesting to see if this falls foul of copyright infringement tbh, wonder what Blizzards stance on this would be?

sayuu
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    The male voice acting sounds decent but I lost it at 0:49 female nelf.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Phry said:
    Be interesting to see if this falls foul of copyright infringement tbh, wonder what Blizzards stance on this would be?

In theory as long as there is no money involved and all tie i´s are dotted and t´s crossed... Blizzard will not interfere. At least they usually do not. 

But i guess it also depends on how much back-end work will have to be done and if that in turn will trigger Blizzards hack protection. 

This have been a good conversation

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited February 2018
    Phry said:

There's another addon that's been around awhile that's very similar. If these folks are not claiming it as their own work, it's all good if they're not making money for it. 

Between you and me, the talking quest thing is annoying most of the time. I found an addon that actually turns off the "talking heads" in WoW because after 10000000000 times hearing the same broadcast text when flying over a world quest, it gets flipping annoying. The quieter world is much nicer. :)

https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/silent-world-quest/files/2462339
    ConstantineMerusJeleena

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:
    Phry said:

The quieter world is much nicer. :)

Now I understand why you like Sylvanas!
    BillMurphy

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Phry said:

If I remember right wasn't this attempted several years back. There was a professional group of voice actors working together to do voice overs for most of the low level zones and working there way up. They where like 50% complete when Blizzard shut them down. I believe it was called 'Warcraft Tales' or something along them lines. But I think they where changing some of the quest text or something that like that make it flow better then it currently does.
    edited February 2018
    Phry said:

If I remember right wasn't this attempted several years back. There was a professional group of voice actors working together to do voice overs for most of the low level zones and working there way up. They where like 50% complete when Blizzard shut them down. I believe it was called 'Warcraft Tales' or something along them lines. But I think they where changing some of the quest text or something that like that make it flow better then it currently does.
    I hope Blizzard leaves it alone for people who like that sort of thing. I don't, but if it's not making money and it's a fan project, I don't see why it's a problem. A lot of addons could be considered copyright infringement but are left alone. I hope they can do it for people who want that type of immersion. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

http://www.reddit.com/r/wowvaq

Lets see if this will grow.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If they were aiming for immersion,they had better rethink that zone with all the yellowish brown ground and hills.The hills actually look like giant haystacks,it is god ugly and the textures used in that zone are a throwback to the ugly first days of Wow.

There were other stuff that looked way out of place on that same map,they must have hired some new kid out of school or something.
    On the notion of copyright,no way in hell does Blizzard allow this,they do not allow ANYTHING from their game to be used unless you pay them and even then not likely because they don't need your spare change.

Is it a good idea,hell yeah,same as those unreal 4 map conversions,but Blizzard does not want to be showed one up by anyone outside their employment,it makes their team look bad.
    Same thing when a team wanted to make a better Wow login app and not charge any money,Blizzard wants you to use theirs so you can see all the other games advertised.

Blizzard is a very selfish business,too rich for their britches .Remember back in 1999 Epic games gave away free tools/engine and STILL do  "UDK"it to mod their games,Blizzard would never do something like that because they want to control everything and profit from everything.Like how could they sell you stuff if players just made their own,didn't seem to bother Epic now did it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Sadly, this was shut down, a shame for those who wanted such a thing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wowvaq/comments/832etf/i_have_terrible_news_guys/

I got the following message today from devolore:

"Hello TioMiklas,

I’m Josh Allen, from the World of Warcraft Community Team. We came across your Voice Acted Quests project, and I have to say, the work you’ve put into it is very impressive!

Unfortunately, I’ve been told that this project infringes on our intellectual copyrights in a way that we can’t allow. You may recall a similar situation with an addon called “Warcraft Tales” a few months ago. While your project is slightly different, it’s still considered a re-performance of our established works.

Because of that, we have to ask you to stop production and distribution of the Voice Acted Quests project. Rather than going straight to delivering a legal notice, they’ve asked me to contact you directly to deliver the news and answer any questions you may have. Like I said, it’s a very impressive project and we recognize the amount of work you’ve put into it, it’s just not the sort of thing we can allow to be created using our copyright.

Sorry for the bad news,

Josh"

I'm just waiting for his response answering some of my questions, but i fear this project is over. I thank you all for the fun days and i appreciate the support you guys gave! Have fun and I will see you guys around!

DragnelusrertezPhry

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Not playing WoW so it doesn't affect me. But that copyright reason by Blizzard sounds lame. In EQ2 e.g. the community was allowed to create custom UI and all the stuff. Which by the way were much better than the official UI. Can't really see how a voice over add on is that different. So Blizzard could have found a solution for it. If they would care for their community. Which they obviously don't.
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Dragnelus said:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/wowvaq

Lets see if this will grow.
    Attention to detail is quite a big deal when working on an ambitious project so I'd say these guys are off to a bad star.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I wonder if someone could do this in a way that is protected by the parody rule...hmmmm.
  • GameolioDanGameolioDan Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Didn't know about this until now. Had a look for a couple videos on Youtube. Pretty darn impressive what the community can come up with!
    G'day! Aussie guy that records videos of his gameplay. I stream gameplay too.

Youtube: http://youtube.com/c/gameoliodan
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/gameoliodan
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Video unavailable, damn should have checked this out. I lost the opportunity.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    kitarad said:
    Video unavailable, damn should have checked this out. I lost the opportunity.
    It was several months ago, and after the letter from Blizzard they most likely took down all their youtube videos too, it was an interesting idea but perhaps highlights the difficulties in working with others IP.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Thou shalt not mod.

What is a solution to many of the issues in MMOs which are more far reaching than not having voice acting is forbidden. Blizzard are not alone here of course, it does seem that most gaming companies just want payment not engagement.