Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen & SQ4 Roadmap (updated April 8th)

Comments

• penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Do you think the kickstarter backers would have made their donations if they had known that there will be a 2018 production roadmap?
    Absolutely. They will have read up on "your" posts saying that the game isn't going to launch until 2050 ..... 

More seriously:

The majority of people have pledged since the alpha released. Easy to forget I know and it may not fit the narrative but only a few people pledged at the start. Now has it been to long for them? Maybe. Although they will have been the most dedicated.

Most however will have seen - and maybe tried - the alpha during a free fly weekend say. (Its what people on this forum suggest!) And the experience will have informed their decision to do so - or not. 
    I think some STILL have not understood that 1000+ people join PER WEEK.

And these people know exactly the state Star Citizen is in at the moment. Plenty of gaming news reports about it.

I personally expect even more people to join after the official launch.

Have fun

That number is not correct.

You seem like a nice guy Erillion, and I'm glad you're excited about the game.  But, that number is a delusion in a dream that's been hijacked by Crazy.  

Cig is a thief, just not one of traditional definition.  I wish it weren't so...   
    The number is not correct ?

1.985.809 Star Citizens

279 weeks since October 2012 

On average 7117 Star Citizens added per week.

Not all of those are backers, but many are.

It is save to say that at least 1000 of those 7117 Star Citizens per week  are paying backers.

If you have other numbers i would be interested in seeing them.  

Have fun

I do not have other numbers, but I do know money invested, especially in the market, is growing at a hyper-inflated rate.  Could his increase be from cooking the books and using the interest from the invested monies?  I have no idea how tightly controlled and hack-safe/bribe-safe Kickstarter may be.

But, the above spreadsheet proves you correct.  My gut says it is not.  (I know, in our world of evidence based practices we have been trained like monkeys to form arguments ONLY on evidence.  To that: there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics.  All can be used as evidence.)  

Just a thought.  Thanks for posting the spreadsheet though.  It is interesting information.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Do you think the kickstarter backers would have made their donations if they had known that there will be a 2018 production roadmap?
    Absolutely. They will have read up on "your" posts saying that the game isn't going to launch until 2050 ..... 

More seriously:

The majority of people have pledged since the alpha released. Easy to forget I know and it may not fit the narrative but only a few people pledged at the start. Now has it been to long for them? Maybe. Although they will have been the most dedicated.

Most however will have seen - and maybe tried - the alpha during a free fly weekend say. (Its what people on this forum suggest!) And the experience will have informed their decision to do so - or not. 

And these people know exactly the state Star Citizen is in at the moment. Plenty of gaming news reports about it.

Have fun

You seem like a nice guy Erillion, and I'm glad you're excited about the game.  But, that number is a delusion in a dream that's been hijacked by Crazy.  

Cig is a thief, just not one of traditional definition.  I wish it weren't so...   

1.985.809 Star Citizens

It is save to say that at least 1000 of those 7117 Star Citizens per week  are paying backers.

Have fun

I do not have other numbers, but I do know money invested, especially in the market, is growing at a hyper-inflated rate.  Could his increase be from cooking the books and using the interest from the invested monies?  I have no idea how tightly controlled and hack-safe/bribe-safe Kickstarter may be.

But, the above spreadsheet proves you correct.  My gut says it is not.  (I know, in our world of evidence based practices we have been trained like monkeys to form arguments ONLY on evidence.  To that: there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics.  All can be used as evidence.)  

Just a thought.  Thanks for posting the spreadsheet though.  It is interesting information.
    Only a very small amount of the funding for SC came in under Kickstarter rules.  Most of the moolah was raised by outside crowdfunding/sales.  Likelihood of money shenanigans are high, as that's pretty much standard business practice nowadays.  

I don't automatically believe any CIG stats, as they are probably as accurate as their release predictions.   Erillion had me believing those numbers for a while, till I read up on Guiness Record Book  procedures.   Now it's back to hard skepticism.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    I don't automatically believe any CIG stats, as they are probably as accurate as their release predictions.   Erillion had me believing those numbers for a while, till I read up on Guiness Record Book  procedures.   Now it's back to hard skepticism.
    Yeah, it's all a lie, the truth is CIG pays its +450 employees in potatoes. :) 
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    MaxBacon said:
    Chips.

Fish and Chips. On old paper issues of "Jump Point" magazines.

Not potatoes!

Have fun
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    image 64% done in 2018 huh? Interesting numbers you got there...
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    MaxBacon said:
    I still say they made a killing selling the Carribean islands.
    MaxBacon said:
    That's a pretty serious spud burn rate!

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Another thought:

Kingdom Come Deliverance raised a fraction, a true fraction of SC.  They managed to crank out a game.  CIG's 450 employees cannot all be working on coding.  If so, the game would be done.  Odds are, his employees, all 450 of them, work or worked for him as temps and other miscellaneous jobs.  We've been down this road before.  We do not have those numbers.  And we never will.  So that is a fruitless discussion.  

But a comparison between games isn't so fruitless.
    Another thought:

Kingdom Come Deliverance raised a fraction, a true fraction of SC.  They managed to crank out a game.  CIG's 450 employees cannot all be working on coding.  If so, the game would be done.  Odds are, his employees, all 450 of them, work or worked for him as temps and other miscellaneous jobs.  We've been down this road before.  We do not have those numbers.  And we never will.  So that is a fruitless discussion.  

You forget that quite a few backers have visited the studios and talked to the employees.

Same for journalists.

No, these employees are not mostly temps ;-)

No, they do not all work on coding ... you can see the variety in the publicly available job offers. 

Have fun 
    Erillion said:
    Another thought:

You forget that quite a few backers have visited the studios and talked to the employees.

Same for journalists.

No, these employees are not mostly temps ;-)

No, they do not all work on coding ... you can see the variety in the publicly available job offers. 

Have fun 
    Gotta agree with you there.  Skeptical as I am on the whole ( 'cause Roberts is a disorganized, vainglorious blowhard),   the studios are full of  legit employees.   Probably the best thing about  SC is the number of folks in the industry getting work.   They'll learn some skills, and get examples of 'how not to do it'.   Pretty sure it feeds Roberts' ego to have this huge organization working for him.  Not to mention his slush funds.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    gervaise1 said:

More seriously:

Have fun

1.985.809 Star Citizens

Have fun

I'd be more interested in the actual number per week to see what that curve looks like.  It must be slowing?  Creating an average makes it seem like this is still happening at the same rate.  Maybe it is but I would think the initial interest was much higher.  Do you have numbers for this each month?  I would love to put those in a spreadsheet out of interest.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2018
    Another thought:

Not seen e.g. the F42 company reports.

As for your "cannot all be working on coding" comment have you no idea of the different roles that are needed to create a game - any game. Artists, scriptwriters; QA / testers; even payroll staff! 

Now Kingdom Come Deliverance. Solid game. Did you just forget to mention that that the KS money was only used to create a "pitch" though? A pitch that led to the Czech billionaire Zdenek Bakala backing the game. Or were you trying to imply that KCD was made for a fraction of what SC has made?

And yes it does make a difference a team has all the money at the start. They can go out and hire a full team. They don't have to worry about the need to get an alpha out to keep the funds coming in etc. etc. etc. Its going to be altogether more efficient - and so like-for-like it should be cheaper. I don't think that is what you were implying though.

Them there comparisons can be very useful though.
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Aethaeryn said:
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    gervaise1 said:

More seriously:

Have fun

1.985.809 Star Citizens

Have fun

I'd be more interested in the actual number per week to see what that curve looks like.  It must be slowing?  Creating an average makes it seem like this is still happening at the same rate.  Maybe it is but I would think the initial interest was much higher.  Do you have numbers for this each month?  I would love to put those in a spreadsheet out of interest.
    There you go
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207
    ErillionAethaeryn

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Citizens > total Accounts (with or without any packages)
    UEE Fleet > sold Ships

I find it a bit confusing that the 2mil Star Citizen Accounts don't reflect on any other media than their own pledge website.
    I.e. Twitter > Star Citizen has around 200 viewers.
    Same with Reddit, Spectrum etc, it just doesnt look like 1000 new users per 2-3 Days.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

edited February 2018
    I find it a bit confusing that the 2mil Star Citizen Accounts don't reflect on any other media than their own pledge website.
    I.e. Twitter > Star Citizen has around 200 viewers.
    Same with Reddit, Spectrum etc, it just doesnt look like 1000 new users per 2-3 Days.
    Elite Dangerous is owned by 1.3 million users in steam alone and guess what, it doesn't reflect in their social media also, with numbers similar to SC in social media btw, needless to say that argument is a non-argument, if a number of actual owners reflect similarly much more would be the one where only a free registration is needed. But if tinfoil hat on is what you look for, hmmm

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Aethaeryn said:
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    gervaise1 said:

More seriously:

Have fun

1.985.809 Star Citizens

Have fun

There you go
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207
    The rate of new registered accounts was increasing until about end of 2016. In 2017 it dropped a lot, but was still close to 250 000 for the whole year.

So far it looks like 2018 will be slower year than 2017 was.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Erillion said:
    I can only speak for myself - yes, i personally would have made the donation.

Have fun
    Aren't you in for like $45.00?

If so, understandable as that is throw away cash right?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Erillion said:
    gervaise1 said:

More seriously:

Have fun
    I find it fascinating that thousands of people keep joining knowing what they do, and what the release day may be certainly isn't one of them.

I'll be there a year or 3 post launch, say around 2024 perhaps?

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

So is there a schedule or feature list of what remains to be finished after 2018, even if not tied to dates yet?

edited February 2018
    Kyleran said:
    So is there a schedule or feature list of what remains to be finished after 2018, even if not tied to dates yet?
    The roadmap page tells all that is on 2018, the update date is what stands, the feature-list beyond 2018 is not detailed, the more solid feature-set will have to rely on the stretch goals, much is not fully confirmed as if they will do it, and if so, before or after a game release.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    Kyleran
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited February 2018
    Aethaeryn said:
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    gervaise1 said:

More seriously:

Have fun

1.985.809 Star Citizens

Have fun

There you go
    Thanks!  That will take a loooong time to pour over.  I wonder why people think a sub to support updates is necessary when it seems like every time they live stream or release new info there is a spike in sales.  These are virtual goods (I am guessing ship designers aren't involved in other coding?)  I am pretty sure if the subs stopped they would continue with updates :)  There is no way they are not analyzing this info and seeing the same patterns I do with a 1 minute glance.  

I can also see why the "they promised this with the kickstarter" gets squashed so quickly with the HUGE majority of money coming in after.  I bought in at a new "Wing Commander" with an online component while vast majority of "the money" bought into the larger dream.  Very interesting!  No wonder they kept pushing features rather than a viable release candidate with things to come later.

I hope it is awesome! :)  I am only in for about $25 i think.  I might have done a $10 increase at some point.  No worries here.  I could still do without the ground space marine part. . if it works out well I am likely to change my mind though.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited February 2018
    Kyleran said:
    I don't think so, but the list would be something like:
    -99 solar systems
    -exploration of space routes
    -electronic warfare
    -building, attacking and defending bases
    -managing space stations
    -AI
    -single player campaign (Squadron 42)
    -server tech
    -a large number of ships

And also some smaller things like
    -tablet compation app
    -cockpit decorations
    -pets
    -command&control center that allows command of all your ships during battle
    -stellar cartography room that shows map of the universe (your collected data) in 3D
    Kyleran

Kyleran said:
    Erillion said:
    I can only speak for myself - yes, i personally would have made the donation.

Have fun
    Aren't you in for like $45.00?

If so, understandable as that is throw away cash right?
    The 250 $ pledge with the "Constellation" as ship.

Have fun 
    edited February 2018
    @Vrika got the lead producer dev input on that thing you mentioned of the tasks that weren't being marked as in-progress when they do are working on them: "There's lots of different phases of development. Some can be RnD (where you solve lots of problems but don't necessarily start "progress" on the implementable work). You do discover what is the best way (or at least better) to accomplish what you're trying to do or need to do."

Could put it as things on phases such as prototyping where it hasn't got to the point of implementation, so the end of the day if the feature hasn't started being implemented it won't be marked as "In-Dev".
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    ANOTHER (meaningless) schedul? LMAO they spend moremoney making time tables that they have never delivered on than actually developing  a game.

ame old same old except this one is 'realistic' how many relatice code name for watered down updated schedules have they released now?

If his project wasnt already a laughing stock people would think this was a bad joke. Unfortunately because they keep coing its obvious theyre serious.

But I guess anything to deflect from the dusaster .0 was. remeber all the hype bout that last year how it as going to be 'the game'? yeah take that to heart when you start looking at anything these guys sy and think they will ever deliver anything they claim they will.
    Babuinix