Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bloody Gaming B975 Optical Gaming Keyboard: A Bloody Good Upgrade - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageBloody Gaming B975 Optical Gaming Keyboard: A Bloody Good Upgrade - MMORPG.com

It’s may just be the year of Bloody Gaming. This year, the accessory maker is releasing peripherals intent on bringing them into the spotlight like never before. We saw some of their new gear at CES and were impressed, but it was their new keyboards that most caught our eye. Today, we’re looking at the B975, Bloody’s new full-size RGB keyboard, complete with a new and improved optical switch that’s easily their best yet.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    This is the 3rd keyboard review in the last 3 days... one might think you were getting paid to write them.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    cjmarsh said:
    This is the 3rd keyboard review in the last 3 days... one might think you were getting paid to write them.
    I think you underestimate exactly how many keyboards are out there to actually test.  
    SBFordwingood

cjmarsh said:
    I think you underestimate exactly how many keyboards are out there to actually test.  
    Maybe so, I guess I'm just tired of all the peripheral reviews that I can never be sure are legitimate or just paid to be there.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

cjmarsh said:

cjmarsh said:

Maybe so, I guess I'm just tired of all the peripheral reviews that I can never be sure are legitimate or just paid to be there.

If something was paid for it will say sponsored in the title on this site.
    maskedweasel[Deleted User]SBFordjimmywolfwingood
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

cjmarsh said:

cjmarsh said:

Will it also say that if the device is paid for or only if the article is?
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

cjmarsh said:

cjmarsh said:

cjmarsh said:

We always say if it is sponsored and /or if the item was provided by the manufacturer for review.

Let me say this slowly: We. Do. Not. Get. Paid. For. Articles. Without. Labeling. Them. EVER.

Loathe as I am to say it because of the ease some throw it out there, your insinuations are "fake news".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:

cjmarsh said:

cjmarsh said:

cjmarsh said:

We always say if it is sponsored and /or if the item was provided by the manufacturer for review.

Let me say this slowly: We. Do. Not. Get. Paid. For. Articles. Without. Labeling. Them. EVER.

Loathe as I am to say it because of the ease some throw it out there, your insinuations are "fake news".
    Actually they were honest questions, sorry if you were offended by them. Is it really so hard to imagine someone being suspicious about advertising in articles with the enormous amount of space advertising takes on this site? Not sure where the "fake news" came from.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    cjmarsh said:
    SBFord said:

cjmarsh said:

cjmarsh said:

cjmarsh said:

Actually they were honest questions, sorry if you were offended by them. Is it really so hard to imagine someone being suspicious about advertising in articles with the enormous amount of space advertising takes on this site? Not sure where the "fake news" came from.
    Suzie has had to deal with a lot of accusations from posters in the past about the staff getting paid to run features (sometimes in ridiculously condescending ways), so she's just gotten a little exhausted with addressing it over and over I think.

That's likely where the offense taken comes from.  
    wingoodBillMurphy

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

DMKano said:

"To my knowledge, Bloody is the only company using such a solution but it completely addresses both the looseness and key noise issues. "

RomerG switches from Logitech beg to differ - they are quiet, stable and IMO feel much better than LK switches due to each RomerG being lubricated internally at the factory (which LK switches are not). Also LK is a MX based design,
    while RomerGs is a completely different switch designed from ground up

As far as next generation of switches goes after the old and tired MX switches - I think that RomerGs are a clear leader

Also not that it matters to me, but RomerG's have by far the best lighting solution - all light comes through the keycap and there is no light bleed underneath and around each key.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't talking about normal mechanical key switches. It was referring specifically to the last generation of Light Strike switches in the area of looseness.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

a lot of these are just rebranded either from Logitech or Razor. This keyboard is exactly like a logitech kb right down to the pawn rest.

By appearances, perhaps - though I kind of doubt it. What logitech are you referring to?

Our reviews are not paid for. Suzie and the rest of that bristle at questions like that because it is a very common throw-out to try to diminish what we do here when the commenter doesn't want to take the time (or doesn't have the ability to) make a reasoned argument.

When it comes to hardware, we receive review samples like every other outlet because it would be insane to budget for every item we wanted to try and share our thoughts on. No outlet is buying all their own hardware with very rare exceptions. Any item we are sent is disclosed at the end of the review, as it is in this one.

But, given that hardware isn't the main focus this site was built on, companies would be insane to pay us over a hardware dedicated site. Speaking from my experience and talking to other hardware writers, there isn't money changing hands for reviews unless it's a sponsored series, at least in any case I've heard of. Maybe it happens, but if it does, it won't happen here.

Fun fact: the place that's most likely to happen? YouTube and Twitch. Not "old guard" written media where we have ethics policies to abide by. Even then, I'm dubious, because most non-associated YouTubers are going to be happy to get something for free, which may in itself go a long way to swaying opinion. Why would you bribe a streamer when just giving them the thing is probably going to do it anyway? We've been doing this for long enough, where getting a sample isn't anything new. It's just how it's done, that's all. Contrary to what you hear a lot of in comments, the verified cases of money for positive coverage recently all been tied to YouTube.

Advertising and editorial are kept separate always. The only people even talking to companies when it comes to hardware reviews are typically Bill and I, and that's to arrange coverage and communicate links to the review, ask questions, that kind of thing. In other words, to do our job as editors.

Those are honest answers to what you say are honest questions, and I hope it gives some context to how things work.
    maskedweaselBillMurphyMadFrenchie
    edited February 2018

I understand you're standing up for your writer but contrary to what you might think, not everyone who questions your advertising methods is someone who doesn't want to take the time or doesn't have the ability to make a reasoned argument. It does, however, give clear insight into your thoughts on your own readers. In case you weren't aware, it doesn't mention that the device has been paid for by the manufacturer until you read the full article, and even then it's at the end of it. My point wasn't that you were actually getting paid to write it, but that you were only writing about the ones that are sent to you.

Someone else posted that there are a lot of keyboards out there, so what are the ones you review based on? Because it seems like, from what you've said, that you review the ones people pay for and send you because "It's just how it's done, that's all." So while this may be old hat for you, not everyone trusts reviews that come from products given for free since it tends to bias the reviewers thoughts, reviewers being human and all. That's why in Steam reviews the label is placed at the top of the review. This is an honest response to what you say are honest answers, and I hope it gives you some context to how things work.
    PS: It would be great if it wasn't necessary to edit html in order to respond to a post.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    edited February 2018
    cjmarsh said:

I understand you're standing up for your writer but contrary to what you might think, not everyone who questions your advertising methods is someone who doesn't want to take the time or doesn't have the ability to make a reasoned argument. It does, however, give clear insight into your thoughts on your own readers. In case you weren't aware, it doesn't mention that the device has been paid for by the manufacturer until you read the full article, and even then it's at the end of it. My point wasn't that you were actually getting paid to write it, but that you were only writing about the ones that are sent to you.

Someone else posted that there are a lot of keyboards out there, so what are the ones you review based on? Because it seems like, from what you've said, that you review the ones people pay for and send you because "It's just how it's done, that's all." So while this may be old hat for you, not everyone trusts reviews that come from products given for free since it tends to bias the reviewers thoughts, reviewers being human and all. That's why in Steam reviews the label is placed at the top of the review. This is an honest response to what you say are honest answers, and I hope it gives you some context to how things work.
    PS: It would be great if it wasn't necessary to edit html in order to respond to a post.
    I think you'll be hard pressed to find reviews from sites where they haven't received products for free.  It's important to be transparent when you do receive items for free, but whether it's hardware or software, or what have you, in almost all review cases that aren't based on product reviews from amazon (which, in many of those cases people still get products for free) products are given for unbiased reviews.

Keep in mind that in pretty much every case of a bad review, those games and peripherals were also given for free.  In those instances you have to weigh the integrity of the writers more-so than peoples' love of getting free stuff.  

Now it's completely possible to see a "sponsored" review,  but those are completely different.  Those play more like a commercial. But that being said, reviews of any kind should be taken with a grain of salt, as any review worth it's weight is written with more than just facts, but the writers perception of the product.  

I don't know how many times I've seen responses on articles where the writer was deemed as "Biased" or "paid off" because they liked something that someone else (who mostly hasn't tried it) disliked it.  It's just the nature of reviews, no matter where you see them, and some are valid criticisms, I just think a lot of people can't tell the difference between sites that disclose the information like MMORPG, and sites with less integrity. 
    Post edited by maskedweasel on
    cjmarsh

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

cjmarsh said:

cjmarsh said:

We have been around for 15+ years and I personally can assure you that we have never taken money for a piece of content that we did not clearly label as sponsored. Even this we only started doing in the past few years.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    What a depressing thread, infested by the same monotonous depressing posters.  Have a day off.

[Deleted User]
  • Alexander.BAlexander.B Member UncommonPosts: 90
    They’re probably doing it so they can continue to get more peripherals from manufacturers and review them to have more content on the website. I ended up just buying the Logitech keyboard mentioned by DMKano since it piqued my interest and I do like their mice. Ironic how a review wasn’t what sold me but a comment ^-^
    [Deleted User]bloody-rajiv
  • Alexander.BAlexander.B Member UncommonPosts: 90

Torval said:

They’re probably doing it so they can continue to get more peripherals from manufacturers and review them to have more content on the website. I ended up just buying the Logitech keyboard mentioned by DMKano since it piqued my interest and I do like their mice. Ironic how a review wasn’t what sold me but a comment ^-^

There have been reviews here of Logitech keyboards. You could always look those up. That's what an extensive review library can provide.

While true I could search for the reviews, unsurprisingly I come here primarily to scratch the surface of MMORPG news the same way I go to specialized outlets for reviews such as TheTruthAboutGuns.com.. This is no TheTruthAboutKeyboards.

Torval said:

There have been reviews here of Logitech keyboards. You could always look those up. That's what an extensive review library can provide.

While true I could search for the reviews, unsurprisingly I come here primarily to scratch the surface of MMORPG news the same way I go to specialized outlets for reviews such as TheTruthAboutGuns.com.. This is no TheTruthAboutKeyboards.

I'm sorry to hear that since I've enjoyed your comments on many keyboard reviews. Hardware is a side line of content here - MMOs and RPGs are, of course, the main focus - but I'm proud of the work we do to provide extra content and value to our readers.
    [Deleted User]maskedweaselbloody-rajiv
  • bloody-rajivbloody-rajiv Member CommonPosts: 6
    Wow! Lots of comments here but so many inaccuracies. As I work my way through, I wanted to clarify a few things:

1) Bloody Gaming makes all their own products. There are 2 main companies that own their manufacturing lines - Bloody and Logitech. The rest of the brands mentioned DO NOT. For the guy saying he knows manufacturing, that's great, but we know the PC peripheral manufacturing secrets and that's what this thread is about.

2) Our team is compromised of members who have worked or consulted for all the various gaming brands mentioned in this thread. Bloody is the only one actively pushing Optical Switch technology over Mechanical (which has been around since the 80s. If you'd like to talk to us more about it, let us know).

3) Romer-G switches are not optical switches. They are physical switches with a different design. It's very similar to Topre switches and do not provide the same benefits. The circular design in the middle is JUST for LED shine which has zero beneficial performance to pro-gaming.

4) MMORPG was not paid NOR did we offer them any money for the keyboard. We asked their team to focus primarily on our innovation with Light Strike optical switch technology and other speed-focused benefits for gamers. When the game is on the line, whoever press their key fastest can end up winning. We've made that with light speed AND per-key stabilization for added precision.

5) If you buy a Light Strike keyboard and mention you this thread, I'll give you a 6 Year Warranty and personally e-mail you that guarantee. Just because you took the time to read this.

I personally asked MMORPG to review our keyboard because I've been a die-hard MMO player for over 8 years, running my own WoW guild, and we have team members who have played FF Online and Everquest.

We all use our own keyboards and designed them for all types of games. You might even want to look at our left-handed 945 on Amazon where we focus around using the left-handed numpad for MMO macros and modifier bindings.

We'll be here to talk and answer more questions..and more importantly to correct the inaccurate amounts of information being spread on here.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]GameByNight
    edited February 2018
    To clarify - if you buy any 9HUNDRED series (B975, 945, or 930) i'll be able to guarantee you that 6 year warranty for mentioning this thread.
    CoachCarter
    edited February 2018
    Damn dunno how to edit :P
    Actually, we own our line, we own our factory, and we manufacture all of our products. Our R&D created the optical switch. Our parent company is called A4Tech and we've been around since 1987.

We made products for other brands and now we decided to do it ourselves, and do it better. :)

Not sure why we need to clarify so much, but we can and will in order to help everyone understand our motivations and intentions.
    [Deleted User]GameByNightBillMurphyMadFrenchie
    If you'd like more info, here you go:

http://a4tech.com/about us.asp?m=l1

[Deleted User]
  • CoachCarterCoachCarter Member CommonPosts: 1

Wow! Lots of comments here but so many inaccuracies. As I work my way through, I wanted to clarify a few things:

1) Bloody Gaming makes all their own products. There are 2 main companies that own their manufacturing lines - Bloody and Logitech. The rest of the brands mentioned DO NOT. For the guy saying he knows manufacturing, that's great, but we know the PC peripheral manufacturing secrets and that's what this thread is about.

" Owning a line " doesn't mean you manufacture it.

Logitech owns there own plant, I was wrong :D

http://www.jjpan.com/en/portfolio/new-assemblage-plant-project-logitech-far-east-ltd-suzhou/

Thanks for stopping by and joining our community discussion :)

While correct about having a plant, logitech does not manufacture ANY of your beloved Romer-G series. They only in-house manufacture Mice for the G series line. You could look too Chicony, Lite-On, and around 3 other vendors which I will keep nameless that assemble the "housing" around an Omron Product (Romer-G Switch) . Logitech is Brand + Software when discussing their G - Series keyboards.
    bloody-rajiv