Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xbox One X Official Review: The PC Gamer’s Console - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MandaloreMandalore Member UncommonPosts: 131
    That is a strange conclusion. I can't see any reason to by a Xbox with a good gaming PC. Most titles support Play Anywhere and can be played on my PC. There I got better Visuals (some times) the choice between M&K or controller, and I can use proper voice chat (for non Xbox play). All my RL friends have a Xbox but I have a PS4, because I can play with them with my PC and the good exclusive games I can plan on my PS4 (Horizon, Last of Us, Uncharted ...). And I dont care for Halo.

And I have a lot more MMOs on my PC to play, and I can play all the great strategy games only or best on PC. (Stellaris, Civ, Cities Skylines ... )

The Xbox is good when you dont care for the Sony blockbusters and when you are ok with the limited MMO selection and dont care for good complex strategy games. And it is cheaper than a equal gaming PC, but a PC is more than just gaming.

So when you cant spend more than 500$/€ and got a 4K TV (odd combination tbh^^) than this is a great gaming platform.

-------------------------------------
     Playing: Overwatch, Genshin Impact, Black Desert Mobile, Hundred Soul, Cyberpunk 2077
     Inactive: WAR, DAoC, RIFT, GW1/2, TSW, Age of Wulin, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Skyforge

• RhemsRhems Member UncommonPosts: 26
    edited February 2018
    F*** Microsoft. F*** Sony. At least Nintendo tried some new stuff, but F*** them too.
    RidelynnPhryBananaSoup
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited February 2018
    PC was cheaper for me to game with the better half on.

Either I buy two consoles, or I buy a cheap GTX 1050 and have them game at 1080p just fine with me in the games I play on their PC.  I went with the GPU.  It was only about $120 at Best Buy... something like that.  Better graphics and performance than an OG PS4 or Xbox One at 1080p.

Honestly, I think consoles had a much better selling point when the average PC was considerably weaker than they are today.  These days, you can get budget PCs with decent i5 or i7 CPUs.  You just pop in a budget gaming GPU and these will play games as well if not better than a console with better graphics...

The One X/PSPro are more powerful, but I'm not sure they are worth the premium over the smaller 1080p consoles, personally.  The biggest issue for me is the walled garden ecosystems these games operate on top of.  I can't deal with that, anymore.

And I'm buying at 4k TVs because I have no use for one.  We barely watch television, anyways.

I do have a PS4, but it gets almost no use.  I turn it on here and there just to see if it still works or I need to action on an update, or something... Lol.  My Smart TV has a better web browser, better M&K Support in the interface (mouse doesn't work in PS4 browser), Plays Media, has DLNA/Miracast, and has Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon Video (among other things) built-in.  Considerably better WiFi than my OG PS4, which is basically unusable off of Ethernet unless all you do is stream lower resolution video from YouTube or something (the worst WiFi I've ever experience has been in the OG PS4 and Xbox Ones).

Playing with friends/family on consoles is like being forced to get a Mac or PC based on what they prefer, otherwise their game punts them to a server you can't access from your system.

It's a horrible experience, and I generally only game as a social activity, these days - preferably with people I now, not internet strangers, because the communication tools on consoles are primitive and not something I want to use with someone I don't know (no push to talk, so perma-open mic in my house; lack of text chat in most games, etc.).

Also, I find the Xbox One controller attrocious.  I originally got an Xbox one, but exchanged it for the PS4 because the huge, bulky controller was unusable for me.  The DS4 is so much better, IMO.  The XBO controller also felt like terribly bad build quality.  It creaked and felt like it was going to fall apart within weeks.  Software froze every time it went to sleep as well (forcing me to hard reset it to get it to work properly - that may have been fixed, but I could reproduce it on every in-store unit so it's not something that was exclusive to "just my console" - was fun going through stores locking up all of their Xbox Ones, lol).
    Gruug said:
    From the xbox 360 to the latest xbox x, they are all just simpler forms of PC's. All consoles are fine if you want to be limited in the experience and diversity that a PC could bring. I use to have both until I realized that consoles were nothing more then dumbed down PC's. Now, I only have a PC and I am no long conflicted.

PC is an open ecosystem, that's the big difference.  You buy a game on your PC, it will continue to run on any PC that runs Windows.  Buy a game on XBOne, hope they implement another emulation layer when XBTwo comes out - like the 360 users got (kudos to Microsoft for that - Sony was not so kind).

You can play with other PC users on PC - it doesn't' matter if they game on a Mac (nb4lulz) or Linux.  The games support cross play across PC platforms (aka Operating Systems).  It's an expected component of the PC gaming ecosystem.  Completely different on consoles.  You and all your friends basically need to buy the same brand of console to game together - even if you'd otherwise prefer the other.  It's awful.

I'm tired of the "controller versus keyboard" fallback argument.  Things are not equal on PCs, either.  There are people using $50+ Mice, Gamepads, and Keyboards on PCs that give them advantages over people with Dollar Store equipment (macros, etc.).  There are people with more horsepower (performance, framerates, etc.), better connections (speed, latency, etc.).

The only reason why this is continuing is because developers want to double dip on sales, and console makers want lock-in to try to sale more consoles.  It's very anti-consumer.

Some people buy both consoles, but at launch that means $800+, and probably a new television to take advantage of things like 4K resolution (only reason I'd buy a Pro or X) or HDR (the latter driving the price of the television up, no doubt).  At the end of the day, it's about the price of a mid-range gaming laptop, which will perform as well or better than the console you're buying, without the drawbacks.

Console controllers work with more PC games than M&KB work with console games.

It's a pretty cut and dry decision for me, which is why I didn't upgrade my PS4, won't upgrade it, and pretty much have dropped out of the console market altogether.

Only reason why I haven't sold it is because I can't get much for it anyways.  Will probably end up in the dumpster soon, when I get tired of it taking up space.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I personally hate Consoles no point in spending $400+ on a console your just going to throw away faster than a computer that can last you 8 years +...

The only downside at the moment is the graphics card prices but a solid core PC build can cost around $800 for upgrading, or $2000 at most if not upgrading.
  • CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
    I feel like it's a just preference. I grew up way more on PCs than I did any console.. But i loved all the Nintendo handhelds, cause ya they were portable and their games were more my style, had more cute and casual titles available. But, I sometimes struggle using just keyboard and mouse for certain games and some games don't offer real controller support for the PC version, or if they do it's for the Steam controller, which i haven't picked up yet.

So since my Fiancee has an Xbox, an S version currently and we have a nice 4k TV, it's nice to get to play some games I'd like on PC but with Xbox features.. I still prefer PC, and i can get used to the keyboard/mouse set up in most cases. For me, it's more comfortable to use Xbox for the most part though, as I have pain and trouble being in one spot for long.. Laptop help but good ones are pricey and it annoys me that most custom built PCs are desktops and those are a no-go for me, the requirement of a desk and how pricey they can be is just not feasible right now..

So i think it really depends on what the user might value more for their games, and if it's just for games, as PCs have many more uses after all.
  • CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94

Shodanas said:

Okay, it is new and powerful and shiny alright. And then.. one year from now a medium range PC will outperform it by miles.

Yes, but medium range for those who upgrade and buy good computers. What price range do you consider medium range? My current laptop is pretty awful, it's just temporary until my gaming one is repaired but i bet it still cost about $1300 and it's just a pretty basic HP laptop, I find the only real good deals are for those who can built PCs or who know enough to research which ones available are worth it for their needs..
    [Deleted User]
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Well, the price to performance already really isn't that far off. If not for some inflation on hardware parts the One X wouldn't actually be in much of any kind of lead for price to performance.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Next week on mmoftw. You should totally buy a Dreamcast because PS4 isn't totally better in every way.
    JeffSpicoli
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Would the specs be better or worse if you just bought a $500 pc instead of the Xbox and do they still encrypt their hard drives so they can only be used on that machine and can't be replaced or upgraded?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    At this point the only reason i even own a console is for the Madden games which completely blow btw. Being a huge NFL fan i have to have my fix every august/sept and with scumbag EA owning the rights i settle for the garbage they put out. But yeah, If a NFL game ever comes to PC in the future ill be done with consoles. The other console "exclusives" are too far and few between to make it worth my money.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    One other con would be lack of quality exclusives which the ps4 and switch both have.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Shodanas said:
    Okay, it is new and powerful and shiny alright. And then.. one year from now a medium range PC will outperform it by miles.
    Yeah but not everyone is interested in a race to keep up their pc's for gaming.

One friend of mine used to have a pc for gaming and then one day he decided "screw it, I'm only buying consoles".

He says it's overall cheaper, he likes the games and he's satisfied. The average person is probably more interested in consoles, excluding things like mobile.
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Next week on mmoftw. You should totally buy a Dreamcast because PS4 isn't totally better in every way.
    As a MASSIVE Dreamcast fan I absolutely agree with your statement.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    gervaise1 said:
    Ridelynn said:
    I agree with @Ozmodan - the only major strike against the PS4 right now is lack of UHD Blu-Ray. 
    <snip>

Microsoft's "Play Anywhere" would be nice, if it actually lived up to it's promise. <snip>
    Yeah the 4k UHD Blu-Ray on the XBox 1 is - maybe - not so much a plus as not a negative. My reasoning being that with so many of us streaming TV these days a blu-ray is "les useful".

I agree with you though that the big issue is "Play Anywhere". New games - I suspect will come out. Those old PC titles though we occasionally go back to - they are I think the key.

It will be interesting to see how they get along with "other portals". EA and Origin - probably come to a deal. Activision Blizzard - same; and who knows WoW on an XBox PC? UbiSoft ditto. Steam though? At first I thought no but on reflection not so sure. The possibility of a win-win deal must be there, Steam get to sell to current XB gamers, MS get to sell to current Steam users. So maybe.

Will only work though if "Windows" compatability can be used on an XBox PC.
    The only problem with 4k streaming, I can do it during the day, but forget it when it comes to prime times like evenings and weekends.  It complete depends how your ISP saturates their network and most do as much as they can.  So the blueray UHD drive is a blessing for me.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Torval said:
    thunderC said:
    At this point the only reason i even own a console is for the Madden games which completely blow btw. Being a huge NFL fan i have to have my fix every august/sept and with scumbag EA owning the rights i settle for the garbage they put out. But yeah, If a NFL game ever comes to PC in the future ill be done with consoles. The other console "exclusives" are too far and few between to make it worth my money.
    What the NFL and FIFA should do is move their exclusive licensing deal to a new hardware or distribution platform every year. This year XB1, next PS4, next Switch. :lol:
    O for the love of God don't give them any idea's, PLEASE!
    [Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    I personally prefer the PS4 pro. In fact, I purchased one just to play Destiny. Then came Destiny 2...sigh...
    As for Mickysofts new OS and their consoles, just remember "In Microsoft America, TV watches You..." ^^
    [Deleted User]Ozmodan
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I prefer PC exclusives like World of Warcraft. Had PS4 and sold it. Couldn't stand 30 fps in most games.
    Its about time that Consoles stopped being limited to 30 fps, its probably one of the worst features of Console gaming ever.
    Lazarus71BananaSoupOzmodan
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Ozmodan said:
    Hashbrick said:

Ozmodan said:

The major thing for me on the Xbox is the 4k blueray drive.  Why Sony does not include this option is beyond me, but you have not watched video until you have seen 4k blueray.    Anyone that tries to tell me they can stream 4k at peak evening times, they are either fooling themselves or are on a rare line that does not see much use.

PS4 Pro supports 4k blurays, I can stream 4k video just fine but I have a 150MBs line.

Scot said:

This is the definition of double dipping. Microsoft earn from every PC sold, so they are going to put all their games on the PC right, support the platform? Well they did at first but then they saw $$ signs up for grabs.

Instead they release a console and put their games on there so they can earn from every console sold. If you have a PC and want to play their games you need a console as well. KERCHING!

Now that may be backfiring somewhat, but whatever they lose on PC sales they get back on the Xbox, so the situation is still a total win for them.

Most of the heavy hitters is available to play on pc with xbox live on Windows 10 without buying the console version. I don't use or care, but know that it exists.

Wrong, PS4 Pro only supports blueray, it does NOT support 4k blueray.
    Wrong, PS4 Pro does support 4k bluray media (as a software upgrade) via USB drive, no one said anything about physical disks.
    Phry
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    Hashbrick said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Hashbrick said:

Ozmodan said:

The major thing for me on the Xbox is the 4k blueray drive.  Why Sony does not include this option is beyond me, but you have not watched video until you have seen 4k blueray.    Anyone that tries to tell me they can stream 4k at peak evening times, they are either fooling themselves or are on a rare line that does not see much use.

PS4 Pro supports 4k blurays, I can stream 4k video just fine but I have a 150MBs line.

Scot said:

This is the definition of double dipping. Microsoft earn from every PC sold, so they are going to put all their games on the PC right, support the platform? Well they did at first but then they saw $$ signs up for grabs.

Instead they release a console and put their games on there so they can earn from every console sold. If you have a PC and want to play their games you need a console as well. KERCHING!

Now that may be backfiring somewhat, but whatever they lose on PC sales they get back on the Xbox, so the situation is still a total win for them.

Most of the heavy hitters is available to play on pc with xbox live on Windows 10 without buying the console version. I don't use or care, but know that it exists.

Wrong, PS4 Pro only supports blueray, it does NOT support 4k blueray.
    Wrong, PS4 Pro does support 4k bluray media (as a software upgrade) via USB drive, no one said anything about physical disks.
    4K Bluray discs aren't exactly all that commonplace in any case, so its a feature that is of no real consequence as you don't need it in order to watch 4k media, if anything the 4k discs themselves are an inferior option to downloaded versions in any case.

Shodanas said:

Yes, but medium range for those who upgrade and buy good computers. What price range do you consider medium range? My current laptop is pretty awful, it's just temporary until my gaming one is repaired but i bet it still cost about $1300 and it's just a pretty basic HP laptop, I find the only real good deals are for those who can built PCs or who know enough to research which ones available are worth it for their needs..

A "pretty basic" HP laptop with an i5 and 1080p screen isn't going to run into the $1300 range, or even close... so you're wrong and severely overestimating that price.

For less than $1,300, you can buy this:  http://store.asus.com/us/item/201708AM290000001/A47071-ASUS-ROG-GL503VD-DB71-15.6-inch-FHD,-GTX1050,-Intel-i7-7700HQ,-16GB-DDR4,-1TB-SSHD,-Windows-10

No one in their right mind, who even wants to play casual game, will pay for the HP when there are such superior choices available for "hundreds less," if we go by your numbers...

A "pretty basic" HP laptop is going to sell in the $400-500 range.  And they'll often come with an option for an AMD APU to lower the price.  Same with Dell and pretty much all the other OEMs operating in that segment.

Once you go above that price range, you should ask yourself what you want to do on that machine.  If it's for business use, than OEMs like Dell and HP have models in the $1,000+ price range suitable for that.  If it's for gaming, then all of these OEMs have options geared for that at different price points, depending on the market segment you're in.

A 1080p Gaming Notebook with an i7 and GTX 1050 will still outperform pretty much any console at that resolution, especially if you "nerf" the PC graphics to mirror that of the console (Shadows, Anti-Aliasing, etc.).

For $1,300, you can get a fairly equivalent machine to that linked above with a GTX 1060.

FFXIV, for example, runs and looks better on a 1080p laptop with a GTX1050 than it does on PS4.
    [Deleted User]
    Sovrath said:
    Shodanas said:
    Yeah but not everyone is interested in a race to keep up their pc's for gaming.

One friend of mine used to have a pc for gaming and then one day he decided "screw it, I'm only buying consoles".

He says it's overall cheaper, he likes the games and he's satisfied. The average person is probably more interested in consoles, excluding things like mobile.

I bought my gaming laptop specifically because the gameplay in games like Overwatch was so bad compared to PC.  I could play games like WoW, ESO, GW2, LoL, etc. on my iMac, but OW and a few others had no Mac client so I got the PC and have pretty much never looked back since then.

Which kind of pisses me off, cause I had just paid $60 for Destiny 2 on PS4 >.<

My PS Plus completely lapsed, so half of my games (or more) are unplayable now.  Which is another thing that pisses me off.  A $5+/mo. subscription to play games I pay for on the internet connection I pay for?

I do prefer PS because it's at least upgradable in storage.  The USB ports on the OG PS4 are too loose to feel comfortable using an external drive, so being able to put a bigger internal SSHD in it is very nice.  The SSHD really makes the system snappier, since it caches a lot/most of the Operating System stuff to the SSD portion.
  • DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229
    I love my Xbox One X but one thing that really pissed me off... I already had purchased Elite: Dangerous - Horizen SP for PC and Elder Scrolls Online, and a couple other PC games that are also on the Xbox One but I have to buy them all over again from the Microsoft store so I can play on both consoles! If I would have been able to see into the future, I could have waited and bought them off Microsoft store and been able to play on both PC and Xbox One with one purchase.

I feel Microsoft could have catered to those of us who already own the PC titles to give us access to the Xbox One as well.

• tasburathtasburath Member UncommonPosts: 47

Hashbrick said:

Ozmodan said:

Scot said:

SP4 Pro does NOT support 4K blurays. Yes it can stream 4k, but it cannot play 4K discs. It was one of the reasons I got rid of it and moved the XBox One X into my living room. That and the PS4 doesn't work with universal remotes other than a dedicated Sony Media remote.
    I love my Xbox One X but one thing that really pissed me off... I already had purchased Elite: Dangerous - Horizen SP for PC and Elder Scrolls Online, and a couple other PC games that are also on the Xbox One but I have to buy them all over again from the Microsoft store so I can play on both consoles! If I would have been able to see into the future, I could have waited and bought them off Microsoft store and been able to play on both PC and Xbox One with one purchase.

I feel Microsoft could have catered to those of us who already own the PC titles to give us access to the Xbox One as well.

The only problem there is that you are limited to using it on Win10 and the Windows Store in particular, one of the biggest problems with this is that the Windows Store version of games are inferior to none Windows Store versions, remember COD:Infinity war for example, maybe one day this will not be the case, but presently, this is the problem, and when in this instance, the Steam version of Elite:Dangerous is better than the Windows Store version, then the question of which version to get is a bit iffy, do you get the best version, or do you get the Xbox version, if your more likely to be playing the game on the Xbox rather than the PC then it makes more sense to get that one, but, if you only want to play it on the Xbox occasionally and primarily on the PC, then, you either put up with it, or you don't. :/