Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "feel" of a weapon

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
When I upgrade a weapon, say, getting a new sword, in some games the experience of using that new weapon is more tangible to me than in other games. 

Especially in EQ, when I got a better weapon it seemed like I could really tell the difference. Not just in terms of the numbers, but in some other sense. 

In most games, unfortunately, unless the weapon has a proc, the experience is much the same - other than numeric values.

This could all be my imagination. But even if it is, something triggered that imagining, and I would love to see that something brought back. :) 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Dullahan[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Play Fallout 4, definitely a different "feel" in terms of recoil,  kickback etc between my trusty combat shotgun,  .50 cal sniper rifle, railroad spike launcher and rocket launcher.  

:)
    ConstantineMerusMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I get what you are saying, but I have had the opposite experience.

In EQ/WoW/Older games, the only thing that felt different was the numeric damage.  A sword felt just like a hammer felt just like a dagger felt just like an axe, etc.  Nothing changed by switching weapon types, etc. The only difference being, like you said, weapon processes and such.
    I was always trying to get swords, just because I liked the concept of swords over say a dagger/mace, but that was just purely for aesthetics... they all played/handled exactly the same way.

I guess two-handers felt different based just on the slow/long delay between attacks.  So, I'll give you that one.

I've found that modern games like GW2, etc., do a much better job making weapons have different weights and feels to them... although I hate the way that game binds your skills to the weapon type.
    delete5230MrMelGibson
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I know this feel.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

I think the issue here is using the word "feel" vs "notice". EQ was very good about noticing a tangible difference between weapons, gear, etc.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    I definitely know what you're talking about, and I think sound effect on swing, hit, and miss has a lot to do with it. For example: when you have a two handed hammer, the sound is deep and the impact on hit is bass heavy. Daggers have more of a wispy, windy, "quick" sound.

Because of this, I love swinging big hammers and getting that solid CRUNCH sound.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Sigh.... melee players,  as a long time caster I tell you it's all about the explosions... .

Big, pretty explosions......

B)
    AmatheMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    Sigh.... melee players,  as a long time caster I tell you it's all about the explosions... .

B)
    Backed by an emergency '/say Taunt it!  Taunt it!  Get it off me!!!' hotkey.

MrMelGibson

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Kyleran said:

B)
    Don't worry big guy, my melee hero will protect you from those mean old melee weapons ;-)
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    "Upgrade" weapons in FFXI, you'll notice the feel for sure.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Lokero said:
    I get what you are saying, but I have had the opposite experience.

In EQ/WoW/Older games, the only thing that felt different was the numeric damage.  A sword felt just like a hammer felt just like a dagger felt just like an axe, etc.  Nothing changed by switching weapon types, etc. The only difference being, like you said, weapon processes and such.
    I was always trying to get swords, just because I liked the concept of swords over say a dagger/mace, but that was just purely for aesthetics... they all played/handled exactly the same way.

I guess two-handers felt different based just on the slow/long delay between attacks.  So, I'll give you that one.

I've found that modern games like GW2, etc., do a much better job making weapons have different weights and feels to them... although I hate the way that game binds your skills to the weapon type.
    You should feel the delay,like your small dagger is flinging through the air quickly while your 2H weapon is a slow more methodical swing.The swinging action of both should look realistic which also plays the part.
    As well,especially noted in FFXi since we had to fight mobs a lot higher level meaning way less accurate was that missing with a dagger didn't feel so bad,but miss with a slow 2H and it felt like an eternity to hit again.
    Even more noticeable if fighting a tough solo fight,where one miss with a 2H and you feel like "oh man i'm dead".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I do wish we had more and we should,it doesn't take that much added effort to add more stats.A dagger for example should cut.stab,leave wounds that bleed,while our giant weapons should cause injury/mame,so the foe loses dexterity perhaps slowed as well.

Then because a 2H could cause more detriments it also suffers the cause of missing ,less accurate,while the dagger is far more accurate making up for dps over time.

Better yet,add that one or two added animated or scar/dmg effect to the models to show the type of damage,yeah a lot more work but hey ,i am waiting for ONE developer to give us THAT GAME,we can actually brag about.

Sadly too much pressure on this team we are expecting a production that would mimic the kind of money Blizzard makes,well even Blizzard is not producing games they could afford ,so not like we should expect way too much from Pantheon.

Sadly since we have literally thousands of studios and NOBODY is wiling to produce that true AAA,i will likely be dead before i get to see that magical game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.