Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the best movies/shows with good magic in them?

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
So I remember watching Warcraft movie, not that it was an amazing movie, but it was entertaining and they portrayed the magic users pretty well I must say. They were powerful and badass like a wizard should be. 

I contrast this to LOTRO, where Gandalf pretty much sucks. I mean if he's such a wizard, why is he fighting with a sword. Yeah, he can stop that Balrog, but in other cases, the magic just sucks. He runs a lot for someone who is one of the most powerful wizards ever. I envision a wizard just kicking ass with impunity. Half the time, Gandalf just runs away. 

In GoT, the white walkers, actually act like beings with nasty magic. In Shannara chronicles, I think the magic is decent, but it would be helped by being higher film production. (I'm only on episode 2 of the second season, so no spoilers). 

I thought, the legend of the seeker was pretty decent in terms of magic, but I had a big issue with that show and it only survived 2 years. 

I just think that if you're a wizard, you should be more ballsy than Rambo/Terminator/Jean Claude Van Damme, put together. Just a badass. 

Any other shows/movies that do magic well? 

Cryomatrix
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
GdemamiOctagon7711

Comments

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I thought Merlin was a really good series,  2008 series which showed young merlin.
    AmatheOctagon7711collektLazarus71[Deleted User]
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Dr. Strange .. of course. Much cooler than just throwing lightning bolts and fireballs. 
    RobsolfDaikurucollektLazarus71Ungood
  • Pr3sid3ntSkr00bPr3sid3ntSkr00b Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Original Star Wars trilogy...the force is portrayed.  Magic enough for me I suppose.
    Octagon7711
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Hawk The Slayer
    Sovrath

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Gandalf was supposed to be a angel, as far as I know - specifically the kind of angel like Castiel in Supernatural.

As for me, I really like the magic in Naruto, because it includes things like "your magic can mutate you" as well as basically a biological explanation of what magic is, why it's there, why certain training can improve or expand certain aspects of one's magic but not others, and how individual variance and/or genetics predispose people to one element or another.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Yoda, it is.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Er....Harry Potter series?  Flying broomsticks, magic that kills, mythical creatures, potions, invisibility, I enjoyed both the books and the films.

RobsolfVrikaOctagon7711Scotcollekt

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited February 2018
    So I remember watching Warcraft movie, not that it was an amazing movie, but it was entertaining and they portrayed the magic users pretty well I must say. They were powerful and badass like a wizard should be. 

I contrast this to LOTRO, where Gandalf pretty much sucks. I mean if he's such a wizard, why is he fighting with a sword. Yeah, he can stop that Balrog, but in other cases, the magic just sucks. He runs a lot for someone who is one of the most powerful wizards ever. I envision a wizard just kicking ass with impunity. Half the time, Gandalf just runs away. 

In GoT, the white walkers, actually act like beings with nasty magic. In Shannara chronicles, I think the magic is decent, but it would be helped by being higher film production. (I'm only on episode 2 of the second season, so no spoilers). 

I thought, the legend of the seeker was pretty decent in terms of magic, but I had a big issue with that show and it only survived 2 years. 

I just think that if you're a wizard, you should be more ballsy than Rambo/Terminator/Jean Claude Van Damme, put together. Just a badass. 

Cryomatrix
    Actually, I think there's a reason for why Gandalf doesn't blast opponents all the time. I believe he's not supposed to influence "too much" but is supposed to advise and sort of "help out" when he can.

In truth I prefer it.

I tend not to like magic fireballs blasting everywhere in movies unless the casters have significant weaknesses. Otherwise it makes them too godlike and that's not interesting.

So I actually prefer how magic is done in Lord of the Rings. It's not just "lightning bolts" (or any lightning bolts") but is more about "power" and how various things/creatures have it but it's not in your face.

edit: though if you really want a movie that has great magic, oh, I don't know ... Willow? ; )
    Po_ggUngood
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ZorrkhaarZorrkhaar Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Mhh...something like the Bastard anime? http://anilinkz.to/series/bastard-dubbed
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    the shannara chronicles, grimm, GoT, Merlin (always funny dialogs between Arthur and Merlin), hercules, Xena etc.
    collekt

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Mistborn books have the best magic I've seen in any fantasy IP.

I think they're making it into a movie, but there's no info on when movie version will be released.
    Tindale111

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Sovrath said:
    Actually, I think there's a reason for why Gandalf doesn't blast opponents all the time. I believe he's not supposed to influence "too much" but is supposed to advise and sort of "help out" when he can.

In truth I prefer it.

I tend not to like magic fireballs blasting everywhere in movies unless the casters have significant weaknesses. Otherwise it makes them too godlike and that's not interesting.

So I actually prefer how magic is done in Lord of the Rings. It's not just "lightning bolts" (or any lightning bolts") but is more about "power" and how various things/creatures have it but it's not in your face.

edit: though if you really want a movie that has great magic, oh, I don't know ... Willow? ; )
    It always seemed to me middle earth didn't really have "magic" so much as it had "holy/unholy power".  Matter of fact, in DnD, you'd probably get closer to Gandalf by rolling a Cleric than a magic user.  Or dual class cleric/mage.  Most of the "powerful" things Gandalf did, especially in the movie, were variants of "turn undead".

Magic weapons even, got their significance mostly from who made them, how old they were, and the deeds done by those wielding them.

That's where the Legendary Items in LotRO seemed kinda silly, especially in the original incarnation.  These highly sought after super-ultra-mega rare relics from an ancient time practically littered the landscape like cigarette butts in a high school parking lot.  99% of them got ground up to make one item kinda sorta a little better.  Sure, it worked as a game system, but it didn't match up with the lore very well.
    Sovrath
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Sovrath said:

Cryomatrix

In truth I prefer it.

I agree, but I also think there is another reason. Power corrupts.

Gandalf could use his powers all the time, but what would be the trade-off?

The loss of humanity. Would he feel the need to help, or feel compassion and kindness to lesser beings.
    RobsolfSovrath
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    As @Sovrath said above, magic in LotR is not working that way. Istari are not you cardboard-cutout, fireball juggling weirdos :wink:  That's why there was no "classic" magic class in LotRO (until they bowed to the demand, and added the widely hated lore-breaking rune-keepers).

But those (both the LotR and the LotRO versions) would be off-topic, and a much lengthier discussion, so, for the question:

Long ago, when there was still TSW and its community, there was a thread on its forum about less-known books, movies and tv series, which are great and suggested to those in love with TSW, the setting, the mood, etc.  Without that thread I'd have surely missed this following one (it was mainly mentioned due to Bertie Calver, as he is one of the voice actors in TSW):
    Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.
    Really fun, and an interesting portrayal of magic. Plus a nice alternative version of the 19th century England, and TSW was all about the hidden things behind historical events :smiley:
    Robsolf
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Akira, The Dresden Files, True Blood, Full Metal Alchemist, Supernatural, Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series, Angel (Buffy spin-off), American Horror Story: Coven, are pretty good.  Mostly TV shows.
    Robsolf

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Akira, The Dresden Files, True Blood, Full Metal Alchemist, Supernatural, Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series, Angel (Buffy spin-off), American Horror Story: Coven, are pretty good.  Mostly TV shows.
    Couldn't help but notice that Charmed is missing from that list; notably and understandably.  I remember them attempting vulgar magic effects like fireballs and red beams, and protective light shields and whatnot.  And it looked really really bad, even for the time.
    Robsolf said:

It always seemed to me middle earth didn't really have "magic" so much as it had "holy/unholy power".  Matter of fact, in DnD, you'd probably get closer to Gandalf by rolling a Cleric than a magic user.  Or dual class cleric/mage.  Most of the "powerful" things Gandalf did, especially in the movie, were variants of "turn undead".

Magic weapons even, got their significance mostly from who made them, how old they were, and the deeds done by those wielding them.

That's where the Legendary Items in LotRO seemed kinda silly, especially in the original incarnation.  These highly sought after super-ultra-mega rare relics from an ancient time practically littered the landscape like cigarette butts in a high school parking lot.  99% of them got ground up to make one item kinda sorta a little better.  Sure, it worked as a game system, but it didn't match up with the lore very well.
    I couldn't stand how they did magic in lord of the rings online. I didn't like the runekeeper class and I certainly despised how they handled legendary weapons.
    [Deleted User]

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Star Wars.
    Octagon7711
  • MurmaiderMurmaider Member UncommonPosts: 123
    edited February 2018
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

What more do you need!? It has the frickin' word 'Magic' in the title!

Ok, putting aside the show my daughter has to watch all the time, I can't think of anything better than what has already been mentioned in this thread.

I'm trying to remember if the movie Solomon Kane fits this criteria. (2009 movie with James Purefoy.....highly recommend it)
    Scotgervaise1collektUngood
    Murmaider said:

I'm trying to remember if the movie Solomon Kane had this criteria. (2009 movie with James Purefoy.....highly recommend it)
    I own this movie, it's really good. It has its flaws but it's a favorite.
    Murmaidergervaise1

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Vrika said:
    Mistborn books have the best magic I've seen in any fantasy IP.

I think they're making it into a movie, but there's no info on when movie version will be released.
    Check out Dave Duncan's "A Man of His Word" series. One of my all time favorite magic systems.
  • xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    edited February 2018
    " Willow " bro... :)

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    I loved Madmartigan in Willow.  I just finished the Shannara Chronicles.  Hope another Network picks up the series.  I enjoy the show, but the Sword of Shannara was the very first fantasy book I ever read back in high school (1991ish) so I find myself thinking of all the things the show gets wrong lore-wise.  
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Disney's Fantasia does it right
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Robsolf said:
    Couldn't help but notice that Charmed is missing from that list; notably and understandably.  I remember them attempting vulgar magic effects like fireballs and red beams, and protective light shields and whatnot.  And it looked really really bad, even for the time.
    The only part I really liked about Charmed was Cole.  To bad he left to do Nip Tuck.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey