Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

That One Crazy Game Idea You've Always Had

cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
So I'm recovering from a surgery and these pain pills have me thinking about that one hobby project I always told myself I would make if I ever somehow got the time and money. A space game where you control a spaceship instead of a person and WASD controls your maneuvering thrusters, rotating your ship instead of moving it. QE does the rolling thing and Z and C set the overall level of thrust to the main engines. X counters your rotation automatically with different maneuvering thrusters so you aren't spinning anymore. Basically flying a spaceship in a way that doesn't blatantly violate the laws of physics.

Then blatantly violating the laws of physics with cool things like shields and railguns and other abilities. The shields would have emitters around the ship and get worn out and weakened by local damage. The railguns would use consumable ammo and different abilities with them might increase ammo consumption or wear on the guns. Other abilities might temporarily strengthen the shields, mark a target for more damage, etc.

Anyways, I was curious if other people also have a pet game idea they'd like to see made at some point. Feel free to say "No" because I would get a kick out of that but also feel free to expound at length on your own ideal pet project. Or if you're worried someone will steal it then make a demo, get it on kickstarter, and then publish it so I can play it already. I mean drugs can be great and all but I like games better.
[Deleted User]4507

Comments

• ConsuetudoConsuetudo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    An MMORPG that issues a base set of cities, factions, and NPCs, but, as players grow in power, they are able to demolish those cities, factions, and NPCs, create their own cities, factions, and NPCs, be the generals and kings of those cites, factions, and NPCs, and issue operation-level quests to their faction. 

Really crazy. 
    cjmarshSteelhelm
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    An MMORPG that issues a base set of cities, factions, and NPCs, but, as players grow in power, they are able to demolish those cities, factions, and NPCs, create their own cities, factions, and NPCs, be the generals and kings of those cites, factions, and NPCs, and issue operation-level quests to their faction. 

Really crazy. 
    This makes me think of a Civilization MMO where every player is their own Civ. That would be awesome.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    @cjmarsh that is pretty much the description of STO's space, minus the railguns :wink:  but you have different kind of torpedos.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    A group of six "elite" players that dictated the eb and flow of the game while the rest of the game's "endgame" made up of overthrowing them.
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    edited February 2018
    Ever since I played Shadowrun on the Genesis, I've wanted a GTA style, open world cyber-punk game, which probably doesn't sound that nuts. In my mind though, it's hyper detailed.

Every building or structure could be entered and owned. There would be in-game systems for players to police themselves, like being able to play one of the Corporate Security teams or Lone Star. Players could form their own gangs or organizations to control territory, bars, megacorporations or run select missions from any number of NPC or PC operated Johnsons. The whole range of races, skills, magic, and tech could be available for you to select from, and the Matrix could have quest related objectives and links to individual player terminals for the theft or trade of private information. A vast range of vehicles for purchase or taxi networks could carry you throughout the dystopian Seattle landscape in real time. I'd definitely like the same karma system for attributes and skills.

That'd be pretty legit.
    Post edited by Lawlmonster on
    Asm0deus4507

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I always wanted to try a RvR game with 3 or more realms.  The backstory is that each realm is associated with a specific deity. These deities compete with each other in an eternal struggle.  They are able to channel their power into their realms.   This results in a buff to all players.   That buff is divided by the number of players online.

So if one realm had 1000 players on they would all get 1 thousanth of the buff.
    If another real had 500 players online each would get a buff twice as strong
    If a third realm was fully out numbered and down to 100... their buff would be 10 times stronger than the first realm.

The mechanics of what the buff did would need to be worked out via testing... but the general idea is to make all realms competitive at all times.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    A triple AAA Mmo where every or some raid/world bosses are controlled by actual GM's with non scripted fights and varying degree's of difficulty. Also some NPC would be manned by live actors as well giving out non scripted quests on the fly. 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited February 2018
    thunderC said:
    A triple AAA Mmo where every or some raid/world bosses are controlled by actual GM's with non scripted fights and varying degree's of difficulty. Also some NPC would be manned by live actors as well giving out non scripted quests on the fly. 

Once AI becomes a reality you may get your wish, but until then we can dream.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited February 2018
    These "crazy" game ideas just don't seem crazy enough so lets put it out there, the "Humans Fall Flat MMO". Hours of "fun" just getting your loot box from the cash shop to that very expensive housing you bought. :)

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    If I ever became Elon Musk rich. I'd build 3 different MMO's, each with a 280 million budget. 

I'd have these 3 companies make an MMO.

1) Would be like futuristic like warframe
    2) Would be very monstery 
    3) Would be be humans in space, with spaceships and all this. 

The goal would be to advertise them separately. 

The monstery one would come out first, followed by humans in space, and then followed by the warframe like one. The difference would be like 1 month. They would be f2p with cosmetic cash shop. 

Then after 1 month, i'll announce widely that the games are compatible graphics wise and then combine the game into one. 

The IU would have to be different yet similar, they will use the same engine and have similar coding. 

Once people realize, that it is 3 games in one. Then I'll move to a subscription based of $20. There will be 3 planets and it will be loosely modeled after starcraft :)

It will be 3 full scale AAA MMO's in one and will be amazing, each MMO will provide a unique experience. You'll have to pay a subscription fee for each race and it will be RvR basically. 

or. 

I'll make good fantasy movies where wizards don't act like retards and actually act like kickass wizards. 

Cryomatrix
    4507Steelhelm
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Ever since I played Shadowrun on the Genesis, I've wanted a GTA style, open world cyber-punk game, which probably doesn't sound that nuts. In my mind though, it's hyper detailed.

Every building or structure could be entered and owned. There would be in-game systems for players to police themselves, like being able to play one of the Corporate Security teams or Lone Star. Players could form their own gangs or organizations to control territory, bars, megacorporations or run select missions from any number of NPC or PC operated Johnsons. The whole range of races, skills, magic, and tech could be available for you to select from, and the Matrix could have quest related objectives and links to individual player terminals for the theft or trade of private information. A vast range of vehicles for purchase or taxi networks could carry you throughout the dystopian Seattle landscape in real time. I'd definitely like the same karma system for attributes and skills.

That'd be pretty legit.
    Shadowrun is the setting I'd most like to see made into an MMORPG. It sucks that MS owns it now and will likely never be inclined to make such a game.

I've put a little work into my crazy idea, see my sig. I need to motivate myself to talk to more people about it XD

For those blocking sigs http://esc-realities.com/
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I think I've tried to make all my crazy game ideas.  (And failed of course.)

First idea was a time manipulation dating sim set in a city named Destiny.  Would have been kinda like an urban version of Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley, plus one of those Groundhog Day games where the player's main ability is rewinding time.

A few years later I was most interested in a dating sim/jrpg hybrid with a more interactive story than jRPGs usually have; I've done 2 different attempts at that.  One had a straightforward timeline and shapshifting with DNA elements replacing gear, while the other had a time looping thing going on and an optional base building goal.

Then I was more interested in breeding pet monsters to use them as tactical units, so I made some different attempts at that design.  2D animation turns out to be mind-bendingly hard BTW; somehow I didn't expect that.

Then I was more interested in a really 3D environment with arcade combat and agile movement, inspired by a combination of Assassin's Creed and Grand Theft Auto, so I played with that one.

And of course the combination of sandboxy building and crafting combined with non-sandboxy story has been something I've craved in an MMO for years, so I think I had 2 different attempts at that, one pre-Skyrim and one post-Skyrim.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    thunderC said:
    They used to do this in UO I think.  It would make such a big difference just knowing that it could happen that I would be more likely to play that game.  In game events run by humans.  Don't announce it. . just do it.  Hire one guy that does this all day. . awesome :)
    4507Kyleran

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

There was a story many years ago in a Dragon magazine that absolutely enthralled me.  This was before virtual reality was a thing.  It was about a girl who logged into an online virtual reality world and tried to steal some loot (or adventured for it... its been awhile).  At the end she in turn had it taken from her before she could get to an exit portal.   The gist was that you were charged for your time in game, but if you could get out with the loot (say a huge gem) it could be cashed in for real money.

Ill have to find the story.  

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I've been working on how to make a game similar to 'Birthright' where you play as a ruler.  There are turn based elements of an overworld RPG while what you do as an adventure impacts your performance. . gets you extra units. . changes diplomatic relations etc.   There are very few hybrid games like that.  Destiny of an Emporer kind of thing but with D&D style adventures in between.  Imagine Skyrim with borders that shift and you can impact it as you quest as a ruler / hero.  One day.
    Slapshot1188

There was a story many years ago in a Dragon magazine that absolutely enthralled me.  This was before virtual reality was a thing.  It was about a girl who logged into an online virtual reality world and tried to steal some loot (or adventured for it... its been awhile).  At the end she in turn had it taken from her before she could get to an exit portal.   The gist was that you were charged for your time in game, but if you could get out with the loot (say a huge gem) it could be cashed in for real money.

Ill have to find the story.  
    Here is the story... in 5 parts.  Remember this was from the 1980s... So you have to think about how futuristic this concept was.  Stuck with me all these years about how it might be possible to create a virtual reality world like this.

http://henrysstories.blogspot.com/2011/03/catacomb-part-1-of-5.html

Aethaeryn said:
    thunderC said:
    They used to do this in UO I think.  It would make such a big difference just knowing that it could happen that I would be more likely to play that game.  In game events run by humans.  Don't announce it. . just do it.  Hire one guy that does this all day. . awesome :)
    Shadowbane did this too.  The GM even let me role play onto his side and fight other players with the “bad guys”. Was an awesome time.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited February 2018
    Aethaeryn said:
    thunderC said:
    UO, Asherons Call and EQ all did this , and each was some of the most memorable game times i can think of (PVE) , but is it really PVE when a GM is controlling and or spwaning mobs ... ?
    Aethaeryn
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Aethaeryn said:
    I've been working on how to make a game similar to 'Birthright' where you play as a ruler.  There are turn based elements of an overworld RPG while what you do as an adventure impacts your performance. . gets you extra units. . changes diplomatic relations etc.   There are very few hybrid games like that.  Destiny of an Emporer kind of thing but with D&D style adventures in between.  Imagine Skyrim with borders that shift and you can impact it as you quest as a ruler / hero.  One day.
    I actually looked into something similar myself once. Only I wanted to use the Pathfinder ruleset for kingdom building. But it turns out the d20 license is only really meant for tabletop games.
    Aethaeryn
    edited February 2018
    DMKano said:
    All of these seem far too normal to me.

Here's mine

A game where  you could play a class that was a piece of furniture- yes a red leather sofa assassin!

Looks nice - lets have a seat

BAM

5K crit backstab!

Yep.
    For some reason this made me think of EVE (edit: a great second monitor game?).   Strangely I would be both tempted and afraid to sit on that sofa.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    DMKano said:
    All of these seem far too normal to me.

Here's mine

A game where  you could play a class that was a piece of furniture- yes a red leather sofa assassin!

Looks nice - lets have a seat

BAM

5K crit backstab!

Yep.
    I read a harry potter fanfic one time where one character wan an inanimagus, meaning they could transform into inanimate objects instead of the usual animagus that can turn into an animal or metamorphmagus that can freely reshape their appearance as long as they are vaguely humanoid.

Also mimic boxes ftw.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    A tribunal system that doesn't get abused and an open community stockpile that doesn't get raided. Just for fun why not have the ability to us an anvil as a weapon.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    An mmo that ties all other mmos together.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Well , a game idea I had been playing with in my head, was about a Zombie Survival game, but none of this "hit tree with rock" kind of thing, it was all about surviving, salvaging, searching, doing what you would do in a real life situation.. 

Then Dead Matter just got advertised, which is a lot like the kind of game I would have made. Can't wait to try it out.
    Kyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
    edited February 2018
    A hardcore mmo. You die and you're character gets deleted period. I just feel like every emotional experience from joy, fear, anger, wonder, excitement would be pushed to an extreme in a game like this.

Mend and Defend