Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the world is watching?

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
edited February 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Twitch at 7:00 AM Central 2/18/2108

RuneScape popularity is impressive for a game that has been around as long as it has.  #2 best western mmo ever?

Black Desert's domination continues. The gap is wider than you think.

Guild Wars 2, Blade and Soul, Elder Scrolls and Final Fantasy are hanging in there.  The fight is not over yet. 

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I just checked .. Fornite has 189k watchers, and LoL has 168k.

And you call less than 5k dominating? Dominating what? Even wow has 4x the watchers ... a 14 years old game .. no less.

Phry
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited February 2018
    DMKano said:
    OP - what you need to understand is that a SINGLE twitch "super streamer" with millions of followers can change that chart and push any game into top 10 spot.

This is why the most popular twitch streamers are bought and paid by game companies to basically advertise their games for $$$. Top streams all have a time-slots you can buy where they will play a specific game for money - which will push it into top 5 twitch usually - and the "prime time slots" are crazy expensive - can be over $10K per hour.

So if you really want a realistic chart - you have to go into each game and see if they have a single streamer that has like 30K viewers, then subtract that from total.

In your example - Runescape had one streamer that had 4K viewers - so that was one guy who put it up there.

You don't understand. 

These are the most viewed mmos on Twitch. It does not mater how you feel they got that way. 

Phry
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Mikeha said:

These are the most viewed mmos on Twitch. It does not mater how you feel they got that way. 

They are not. The most viewed are Fornite, LoL, Rainbox Six, ....

Wow is not even in the top 10. Do you need to look up what the word "most" means?
    Phrycameltosis
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Twitch shows this for me:

Cant even find bdo need to do view all and scroll.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited February 2018
    If twitch holds to their word and begins their nazi/gestapo moderating policy tomorrow like they promised look for IRL to go from 7 to 70 in one day.

I can't wait for TWIT to dump all their entertaining streamers and then regret the move months from now when other streaming platforms start gaining momentum and cut into that twitch money,
    Mikeha
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    You are suggesting most twitch viewed is most popular.  I'm looking at front page of google on people guess how many players play runescape.  

Similar people try telling me some mmo are popular a few years ago because they get high raptr count.  I don't take it seriously.
  • BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Mikeha said:

They are not. The most viewed are Fornite, LoL, Rainbox Six, ....

Wow is not even in the top 10. Do you need to look up what the word "most" means?
    talking about mmos
    Dragnelus said:
    Twitch shows this for me:

Cant even find bdo need to do view all and scroll.
    search mmos
  • BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190
    the OP's image -does- show the most popular mmos because if it's up there, all the mindless kids will go play them then they become popular; point of advertising, and it works.

but that doesn't mean they're the ''best'' just the most popular for a sad reason. even if they're just fans of the streamer, they will undoubtedly play any game (s)he plays
    Mikeha
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    DMKano said:
    OP - what you need to understand is that a SINGLE twitch "super streamer" with millions of followers can change that chart and push any game into top 10 spot.

This is why the most popular twitch streamers are bought and paid by game companies to basically advertise their games for $$$. Top streams all have a time-slots you can buy where they will play a specific game for money - which will push it into top 5 twitch usually - and the "prime time slots" are crazy expensive - can be over $10K per hour.

So if you really want a realistic chart - you have to go into each game and see if they have a single streamer that has like 30K viewers, then subtract that from total.

In your example - Runescape had one streamer that had 4K viewers - so that was one guy who put it up there.
    i don't know much about stream , do the number show up are sub number of streamers or it show the number of people who watching ?

• cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I can't understand why you think Twitch is an accurate predictor of anything revolving around the popularity of MMOs? Most MMOs are incredibly boring to watch and I'd bet BDO only has the relatively few that it does because it has action combat that can be tricky to learn.
  • 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    One explanation I've heard for Runescape's streaming popularity is that a lot of people have their account open fishing/mining/chopping trees on one window and a stream of someone doing something fun on their other window.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    iixviiiix said:
    DMKano said:

i don't know much about stream , do the number show up are sub number of streamers or it show the number of people who watching ?

Lets just say that if they showed numbers of streamers instead of people watching the stream, the numbers for Runescape would likely be in single digits, its not a popular game for streamers. ;)
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Xodic said:
    Tools watching tools.
    Well, some are likely just bots, but there is no question that very few of those who watch games streamed on twitch have the remotest intention of ever actually playing the games involved, there is no corolation between the two things. :/