Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

May the force be with you SWTOR, but adieu…

ElalandElaland Member UncommonPosts: 40

As a long time fan and subscriber (since launch) SWTOR’s roadmap released today did not impress me on http://www.swtor.com/community/devtracker.php . Let me first say that I am a PVE player, and based on what I read perhaps I am not typical of how a majority of people play MMO’s (or want everyone to play). Nonetheless, I should be one of the kinds of players every developer should be mindful of – the kind who pays subscriptions for years, and occasionally buys cool convenience/appearance items on top of that. I normally play with my spouse which results in every game I select automatically getting another customer. However, I do not belong to a guild, and when my spouse is not playing I normally play solo although I did go through flashpoints occasionally with PUG’s.

So what did I love about SWTOR, and why am I leaving?

1. It’s the story, stupid! Bioware was famous for it, and I loved all the different classes with different story lines. I played every one many times with multiple alts. Then came the expansion stories – good, but not as great as the original after the classes no longer had their separate individual story lines, and now I see nothing but a rare new flashpoint or operation. The story stopped.

2. It was fun! It still is if you haven’t played it. Unfortunately, the slow down of new story driven content results in going through the same stories/quests/flashpoints over and over until eventually you look elsewhere for something new after years of playing it.

3. I could play most of the content solo or as a duo with my spouse. I’ll cooperate with others on occasion in the open world, or do the group finder thing, but I want an MMO populated with real people that I can play with or without.

4. Key things I personally want in an MMO were present. The voice acted scenes with your character in them is a key feature I look for in MMO’s; not many have them and I find with all the time we put into MMO character customizations those cut scenes are the only way you get to see your character doing anything except from the backside. The UI was customizable. I could dabble in PVP but not be required to participate in it. There was player housing (strongholds).

I believe when we purchase a game it is to pay for its development. When we pay a subscription it is to continue providing content and support. The content is not progressing so my subscription shall cease at the end of the current subscription month. I loved the game for a long time, but sadly it is time for me to move on.

Anyone else disappointed that it has come to this? Does anyone else play like I do?

Incomparablebartoni33

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Never say never, you could always go back if it does eventually live up to your expectation. The fact you have been in since launch maybe shows it is time you moved on, it has been six years.

You may need a MMO break to recharge your batteries, but if you can jump straight in there are some decent MMOs out there you could try. One thing I would say, being in a guild would have helped, I always find it does.
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    out of pure curiosity i was waiting to read the roadmap and it was exactly like i expected! they really need to just open up that f2p model at bit more at this rate. cause this is just plain sad
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    that's what great about playing a rotation of games, never get bored 
    pantaro
  • ElalandElaland Member UncommonPosts: 40
    eddieg50 said:
    that's what great about playing a rotation of games, never get bored 

I agree with your sentiment, but I also enjoy taking the time to thoroughly go through a deep game and enjoy all it has to offer; usually including alts.  I'm always on the lookout for the next great MMO that will hold my attention for the long term, but I do try out others.  I had tried ESO at launch and like many others got away from it at the time, but with the positive responses I saw about its comeback I started into it about 6 months ago (with SWTOR not offering much new) and it has become my primary game now.  I played Secret World for awhile when it came out; it is a great game but the mood was done so well I wanted something a little "lighter" after awhile.  I am considering trying the SW Legends version of it.  GW1 was my previous long term game.  I expected GW2 to be the next but due to a foul up of my account at the time and SWTOR coming on right afterward I ended up hooked on SWTOR.
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    Bioware making a Star Wars mmo should have been a slam dunk. It’s a shame watching this game continuously go down the crapper. I wanted this roadmap to give me a reason to subscribe again. 

pantaroGorwe
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    This game is at the end of its life cycle so why would you expect all kinds of new features now? I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a sequel was in the works, at least before Disney had issues with EA holding the IP.
    GorweFrodoFragins
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    SWTOR would've earned more respect had it not marketed itself as a MMORPG.
    Gorwe
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I had zero interest in playing this game evem though i played SWG. It was basically a wow clone and offered just a new skin basically on and old amd tired formula.

So never cared, but onto OP.

The game has run its course, time to find something new, limited resources and lack of profit seem to be a death knell for a lot of games. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    edited February 2018
    Elaland said:

3. I could play most of the content solo or as a duo with my spouse. I’ll cooperate with others on occasion in the open world, or do the group finder thing, but I want an MMO populated with real people that I can play with or without.

theres one of the problems right there. once you take away the group focus you lose those mmo focused players and the world feels empty. which is one of the things bioware did wrong. basically all the content after the Revan expansion was slowly shifting the focus away the from the mmo which resulted in a slow decline only being saved by the IP name and lore....not the gameplay(which they never addressed).
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Elaland said:

I believe when we purchase a game it is to pay for its development. When we pay a subscription it is to continue providing content and support. The content is not progressing so my subscription shall cease at the end of the current subscription month. I loved the game for a long time, but sadly it is time for me to move on.

No. Your sub is for access of the software that will bring you fun. Anything else is wishful thinking. No one promises you how your sub money is going to be used.

You certainly should move on if you are not having fun. That is how a free market works. The devs decides what to charge and what to produce, you vote with your wallet. Sounds like the market works perfectly.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    I'm amazed that you've subbed since launch.  The story content only last so long for any MMO.  Hopefully they listen to long time players such as yourself. 

I quit during the first month for various reasons, I would have stayed if the game launched with amazing XWing style space battles, and briefly returned when they opened up F2P.  But even with the fast leveling I didn't like redoing so much of the same content on different classes.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    Need a fresh star wars game.  Up to date graphics, more GOOD story. I let SWTOR go a long time ago.   

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm a mostly solo players who played it at launch and a year or two after because of the class stories.  Hell, I still login every once in awhile to create a character just so I can spend an evening running through the starter planet stories.  I came back to play a few of the continuation stories but when they all merged into one there was no reason to play more than an alt or two through the new story lines, it became tedious.  

Always cutting corners.  One day I hope they return to their roots or at least release a new class or two, like TK master...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Dauzqul said:
    SWTOR would've earned more respect had it not marketed itself as a MMORPG.
    Thats the thing...immediately you are aware that it is a single player game with other people around.....I wasnt impressed with this game one iota...
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Tokken said:
    Need a fresh star wars game.  Up to date graphics, more GOOD story. I let SWTOR go a long time ago.   
    No we don't need a new SW game. It's a dying franchise now that Disney took over. A new MMO would be just as bad and poorly received as the latest films.

RIP SWTOR.
    Gitmix said:
    Tokken said:
    No we don't need a new SW game. It's a dying franchise now that Disney took over. A new MMO would be just as bad and poorly received as the latest films.

RIP SWTOR.
    Wait .. a 91% RT score and 1.3B in the box office is "poorly received"? I bet WB/DC is dying for some "poorly received" movies.

Sure, i know about the backlash of some fans because they don't like changes. But still ... 
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Gitmix said:
    Tokken said:

RIP SWTOR.
    Wait .. a 91% RT score and 1.3B in the box office is "poorly received"? I bet WB/DC is dying for some "poorly received" movies.

Sure, i know about the backlash of some fans because they don't like changes. But still ... 
    It's highly rated by pro reviewers which is normal since they're mostly left leaning journalists who love it when their ideology is force fed to the masses (no pun intended) but the audience rating, which is all that matters in my book, is the lowest ever for a SW film, around 56%.

Liberals as usual can't accept reality when it doesn't support their ideology so they have to come up with some convoluted "backlash" conspiracy theory about alt right trolls intentionally down voting the film outside movie theaters around the globe...or was it Russian spies? I forget. Regardless, there's no evidence supporting any of these crazy claims.

Yeah it did great box office wise but it also has the biggest 1st to 2nd week drop off in the history of the franchise (around 75%) which to me speaks way more than the actual box office results.
    It's SW, of course it's going to do well on the first weekend. I really doubt the next iteration will have the same results though unless they seriously tone down the political preaching.

But you're right, Disney won't go bankrupt over this, not even close.
    They've just successfully managed to alienate a huge chunk of the most loyal and dedicated movie fan base in the history of cinema, all in just one film. That's some feat.

cjmarsh
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I really liked the new one. Thought it was a great passing of the torch. The way luke went out was great. On his own terms, his choice to pass on.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    Gitmix said:

It's highly rated by pro reviewers which is normal since they're mostly left leaning journalists who love it when their ideology is force fed to the masses (no pun intended) but the audience rating, which is all that matters in my book, is the lowest ever for a SW film, around 56%.

wow .. what does politics have to do with anything here? I don't see any reviewers talking about whether TLJ is diversified enough or stuff like that.

And audience rating is the one that does not matter in my book, because it is stuffed with fan boys and cracked pots. In fact, just look at the DC fan boys drive to lower the audience score on Black Panther (a 76% audience score .. really? That movie is not perfect but still).

Pro reviewers at least have to write down their reasoning and most of the time, their reviews make sense. 
    I really liked the new one. Thought it was a great passing of the torch. The way luke went out was great. On his own terms, his choice to pass on.
    I also like the movie making things different .. twist on the end (running away vs winning) and things like that. I am sure the fan boys are angry because things change, but hey $1.3B is $1.3B, disney is not going to lose sleep over this.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    OP, I'm honestly shocked you managed to stay with the game this long!

I played at launch and stuck with it for a year, primarily due to the IP and my guild. But man, it sucked even at launch! The story was generic and boring right from the start. Sure, some of the classes had interesting stories, but the hours of drudgery you had to go through between each class quest killed off that fun. The combat was shallow and easy. The worlds pretty small and linear. In my guild, we'd cleared everything the game had to offer within 6 weeks of launch. 

I eventually quit in a similar situation to you. I was very active on the official forums during that year and saw endless threads on how to improve the game. Then they announced the first expansion. 

That for me was like the roadmap is for you now. When I saw the first expansion announcement and following details, it was basically Bioware telling the community that the game was finished. They weren't going to fix any of the core problems with the game, they weren't even going to attempt to please a wider audience. The first expansion clearly announced that SWTOR was only going to cater to story-focused solo players and was going to continue to ignore pretty much everyone else. 

So, I quit and am glad I did. The content releases for SW:TOR have been shockingly slim over the years, each expansion has been tiny and weak on everything except story. I had a few friends stick it out, but when you can clear and entire expansion in 6 hours of gameplay, you know the game isn't worth playing. 
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    This petition asking Disney to consider revoking EA's exclusivity license has reached almost 200k signatures. Ultimately, the future of Star Wars rests with Disney alone and we don't have much of a say. Still, I am tired of watching EA ruin two of my favorite things (Star Wars and video games) and want to do something besides voting with my wallet. 

https://www.change.org/p/lucasfilm-revoke-ea-s-star-wars-license