Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kingdom Come Deliverance, too good to be true ?

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited February 2018
    I've put about 10 hours into it so far...

It's a breathe of fresh air.  After the day 1 patch, my performance and reliability has been solid.

Games is pretty, but nothing bleeding edge.

The world feels alive, mostly due to the hand-crafted villages and castles; every NPC has a role in the village they perform on a daily basis.

The combat is a breathe of fresh air.  Once you nail down perfect blocks and ripostes, it starts moving a lot faster and seems a lot more like a back and forth sword fight than any game I've played in a long, long time.  Don't expect to go in with a Witcher mentality and spam dodge and attack.   There are feints, timing has to be used to combo swings, blocking involves direction as well (though is much easier with a shield), and stamina management is paramount to success.

The first time you riposte into a slash/stab combo and send your opponent to his grave is a glorious one, though.  Swings have weight and recovery, as well as backswing time.

Story has been pretty good so far, and the pacing stretches the realism just far enough to make it unique in today's landscape without  me nodding off at my keyboard.  Quests are interesting and varied.
    AlBQuirkySovrathYashaXcjmarshConstantineMerus

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Played it for 4 hours yesterday. I think this game is pretty incredible so far. There are bugs so be prepared for that, but I haven't encountered any that were game breaking.  There are lots of cut scenes and small loading screens all over the place so far. Luckily the loading screens aren't that long and the story cut scenes are pretty interesting. 

Sword fighting is very difficult to learn and grasp. In some fights, its actually better to run away rather than fight. If your going to play, I recommend finding a combat arena and having someone teach you how to fight. Combat is almost all skill based with some extra little stat and perk bonuses that can make it a little easier. Lock picking is also very difficult. I kept having to reload saves over and over again until I got it down.

The game feels really immersive and alive. You get to make dialogue choices that will help shape your character and the world around you. Its a solid game, but not for everyone. If your a casual gamer you will simply find this game too difficult/ boring because I know most of you could care less about a story unless its filled with fairies and butterflies. Expect to die and fail a lot. One thing is for sure though, these guys do deserve credit for making a game like this. If this game ever gets mod support, I'm sure it'll grow a very tight nit niche following. 
    AlBQuirkyYashaXcjmarsh

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    AlBQuirky said:
    immodium said:
    From my understanding, when given a quest you have a time limit to do it. If you go do it instantly the NPC will be happy with you. The longer you leave it the more annoyed they become till eventually they'll just do the quest with out you. So unlike ES games where you get given a quest and you can leave it and do it when ever, you can't in this game.

For me that sounds more like a living world.
    This is my understanding, too. It's like "the world" doesn't wait on you. I saw quests fail because they did not get completed time. It may piss off a lot of people and they scream "LINEAR!!!", but it adds a touch of reality to the game. I'm so sick of "urgency" in quests ignored for the "freedom" to dungeon delve before ever getting to it.

Now, from what I saw on Twitch, there is no timer that pops up. A message may appear that says you're running out of time to complete the quest, but there is no "artificial indicator" that magically appears. I LOVE this feature!

"Help me! My daughter has been kidnapped!"
    "I'll help find her, ma'am!"
    4 days pass as "the hero" does other things, like smithing, sleeping, mining. "The hero" finally gets around to rescuing the daughter and... she's dead.
    This is my thought and quite frankly I wish more "open world games" would adopt this feature. Even if it is just an option in "options".

Also, it is my understanding that players can wait to start a quest which would then hold off on any count downs until they are ready.
    AlBQuirkyYashaX
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited February 2018
    APThug said:
    There are bugs so be prepared for that, but I haven't encountered any that were game breaking.
    I watched "Dropped Frames" yesterday on Twitch and CohhCarnage was talking about the patches. Apprently, there is a 24GB(?) waiting to be released in a couple of weeks. They had a 40GB(?) patch on launch day, so they're waiting a bit to release this next big one.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Looks like a decent single player game to run through just for the story especially if you get it free!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Sometimes you just need to watch a long no-commentary play session on YouTube, then ask yourself can you do this ? 

I watched this guy go from camp to camp to camp looking for this boy searching for clues before bandit's got him.  He was calling his horse that never came so he walked, the entire time he was getting hungry and exhausted.  Only at one point did he come across two bandit's he had to kill. Never did see the outcome. 

Realistic ?....Yes !  
    Fun ?... Didn't look like it !
    AlBQuirky
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    So far the witcher 3 of 2018?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Sometimes you just need to watch a long no-commentary play session on YouTube, then ask yourself can you do this ? 

I watched this guy go from camp to camp to camp looking for this boy searching for clues before bandit's got him.  He was calling his horse that never came so he walked, the entire time he was getting hungry and exhausted.  Only at one point did he come across two bandit's he had to kill. Never did see the outcome. 

Realistic ?....Yes !  
    And that's the thing. that IS fun for me. I want more of "that" in games.

That's why this is going to be a divisive game as there are people who are expecting "skyrim" (or pick your open world game) but in a 15th century setting and that's not what they will get.

In truth, I have a friend who only plays elder scrolls games. But he's always asking for features that are essentially in this game. I think this might be right up his alley.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    By the way If you want almost the same experience in MMO you have LIF

Sovrath said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    immodium said:
    From my understanding, when given a quest you have a time limit to do it. If you go do it instantly the NPC will be happy with you. The longer you leave it the more annoyed they become till eventually they'll just do the quest with out you. So unlike ES games where you get given a quest and you can leave it and do it when ever, you can't in this game.

For me that sounds more like a living world.
    This is my understanding, too. It's like "the world" doesn't wait on you. I saw quests fail because they did not get completed time. It may piss off a lot of people and they scream "LINEAR!!!", but it adds a touch of reality to the game. I'm so sick of "urgency" in quests ignored for the "freedom" to dungeon delve before ever getting to it.

Now, from what I saw on Twitch, there is no timer that pops up. A message may appear that says you're running out of time to complete the quest, but there is no "artificial indicator" that magically appears. I LOVE this feature!

"Help me! My daughter has been kidnapped!"
    "I'll help find her, ma'am!"
    4 days pass as "the hero" does other things, like smithing, sleeping, mining. "The hero" finally gets around to rescuing the daughter and... she's dead.
    This is my thought and quite frankly I wish more "open world games" would adopt this feature. Even if it is just an option in "options".

Also, it is my understanding that players can wait to start a quest which would then hold off on any count downs until they are ready.
    To expound, many quests will give you a general idea of when and where to be (i.e. meet Sir Hans in the courtyard at dawn tomorrow), and you will fail a quest if you miss that appointment.

Also, you can fail parts of quests by not having the right equipment, such as failing to be able to chase a Boar during a hunt because you don't have a horse to ride.

The game feels like what many of us thought MMORPGs were destined for: a living world that you can jump into and create adventure in.
    AlBQuirkyYashaXSovrath

Sovrath said:

Realistic ?....Yes !  
    And that's the thing. that IS fun for me. I want more of "that" in games.

That's why this is going to be a divisive game as there are people who are expecting "skyrim" (or pick your open world game) but in a 15th century setting and that's not what they will get.

In truth, I have a friend who only plays elder scrolls games. But he's always asking for features that are essentially in this game. I think this might be right up his alley.
    Food is generally cheap enough to keep on hand, and you can hunt once you have a bow and cook hares for food yourself.

There are also perks that slow the decay of energy and nourishment.  Those items hit the sweet spot for me in terms of being a need but not a nuisance.  The game isn't focused on survival elements here, but like any good human, sleep and food are required to function.  

You can also overeat, which makes you sluggish until you have a chance to digest the meal.

Alcohol plays an important role too, and you can develop resistances to hangover effects with regular drinking.  Light drinking actually boosts speech, but getting sloppy turns those into debuffs, too.
    AlBQuirkySovrath

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Albatroes said:
    So far the witcher 3 of 2018?
    No. Witcher 3 much more of a game meant to be fun, whereas Kingdom Come Deliverence is a simulator and takes some things far more seriously.

There's something same, but there's also a lot that's different.
    AlBQuirky

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

You can also overeat, which makes you sluggish until you have a chance to digest the meal.

Lol .. do you have to go to the bathroom too? And if you do, do you have to stock up on toilet paper too?
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

Lol .. do you have to go to the bathroom too? And if you do, do you have to stock up on toilet paper too?
    Toilet paper is a modern invention
    cjmarsh
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2018
    After watching a lot i give it a 5/10

That is a score i give to a game i don't want to play nor does it feel inventive or exciting or even fun.It also means it is mildly decent comes close but yeah not good enough.If it was a 6/10 i would feel at least a desire to jump in first and but as is,i don't feel even remotely interested to try it.

This game is imo being fed by the paid streamers,Cohn or Dansgaming or Bahroo for example will show ZERO longevity,soon they gets their next game in the email they will be on that game and this game will be a forgotten memory in a matter of 2-3 weeks.
    YashaX

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Wizardry said:
    After watching a lot i give it a 5/10

That is a score i give to a game i don't want to play nor does it feel inventive or exciting or even fun.It also means it is mildly decent comes close but yeah not good enough.If it was a 6/10 i would feel at least a desire to jump in first and but as is,i don't feel even remotely interested to try it.

This game is imo being fed by the paid streamers,Cohn or Dansgaming or Bahroo for example will show ZERO longevity,soon they gets their next game in the email they will be on that game and this game will be a forgotten memory in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

Same here, watched a lot of long play sessions.  Sometimes this is even better than a review. 

This guy played for two hours and looked boring as hell. Everything was tedious and slow paced, he fought through a LOT of bugs too. 

The ONLY THING I find interesting is the combat. 
    YashaX
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I'm 4 hours in and it's enjoyable so far.

I haven't had any serious bugs. It's probably far less enjoyable if you're struggling with performance issues or inability to save. When it runs as it should, it is a decent game overall.
    SovrathMadFrenchie
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Shaigh said:

so do they simulate the smell and you will die of embarrassingly bad smell if you don't bath in a river after going to the bathroom? Or is embarrassment a modern invention too?
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Shaigh said:

so do they simulate the smell and you will die of embarrassingly bad smell if you don't bath in a river after going to the bathroom? Or is embarrassment a modern invention too?
    Worry not, if the simulation is realistic you won't have that problem: As a peasant you won't be able to go to a bathroom.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    klash2def said:
    Yea its gonna be a no for me dog.
    It isn't the kind of game for me either. No true feeling of an open world if you can't make a custom character. I just don't like games like this not letting me create my own character.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Hopefully with the success of Kingdom Come more developers produce historically accurate games that focus on accuracy of the setting which for me, makes a game much more immersive. KOEI always did this well with romance and nobungus ambition games, Playing them were not only fun but they taught you history as well. 
    YashaX
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

edited February 2018
    Shaigh said:

Actually, if you don't wash off characters will notice how dirty you are and it will affect their opinion of you.

I've collected a full suit of chainmail, and now many peasants refer to me as "Sir Knight," despite me not being one.  The game measures your level of visibility, noise, and conspicuousness based upon your current surroundings and the clothing you're wearing.  Black clothing and a hood will hide you at night, but make you very conspicuous during the day standing in town.
    YashaX

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    This is where multiple monitors and VR comes in. Locked in 1st person view on one screen drives me bonkers. It's like living life with blinders on. Excellent surround sound slightly helps but not enough to emulate 1st person in real life.

As someone who grew up in sports and has excellent 360° awareness, it's like being blinded in one eye playing these games.

Game looks cool though.
    YashaX

You stay sassy!

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Tamanous said:
    This is where multiple monitors and VR comes in. Locked in 1st person view on one screen drives me bonkers. It's like living life with blinders on. Excellent surround sound slightly helps but not enough to emulate 1st person in real life.

As someone who grew up in sports and has excellent 360° awareness, it's like being blinded in one eye playing these games.

Game looks cool though.
    Im guessing football (American) wasn't your sport , ie you never wore a helmet before
    Sovrath
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    By the way If you want almost the same experience in MMO you have LIF
    So wait KC:D is a single player harvesting simulator?