Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Development Updates

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Babuinix said:
    sgel said:
    Babuinix said:
    sgel said:
    Babuinix said:

Maybe focus more on the gaming part and less on the hating.

It's a video-game thread in a video-game forum after all. 
    I was literally quoting you.
    YOU said that even changing the colour of the shirt on your avatar is progression.

Star Citizen: Change your shirt to level up.
    Some people care about cosmetics to the point of focusing their gameplay only to get their avatar to look like they want. If someone likes a specific color to match their gear they will play to get it and once they get they will feel that as a "progression" in attaining their avatar visual. This might be hard to understand from someone who comes from elite maybe where you are just a vehicle and can only improve it's avatar trough the cash shop but in regular mmorpgs searching for that specific piece of gear and make a visual appealing matching set is a great deal of the motivation to play. Other's don't care about looks and just focus on min-maxing to get the better performance possible, and that's ok, to each it's own. The more possibilities in gameplay the better.
    You're not just a ship in Elite though.
    I know you like to bash it with every opportunity you can get in SC threads, but you should get your facts straight. Maybe even try it in VR.

You still said that changing the colour of your shirt is progression in SC.
    It's incredibly funny watching you trying to defend it :)

I never said such thing. It wasn't me who brought the "white to blue shirt example" to the table.

It's about how for some gamers cosmetics are as important as stats.... While for others they might focus on "achievments" and theres an achievment "Equip all shirts"....

Who are you to tell them that's not progress?

It's all about the context in mmorpgs.

And I bring Elite to the table because it seems that's all you know, maybe that's why its so hard for you to understand and accept the vast scope of Star Citizen and the road to get there...
    Yes you did say it. You even tried to defend it for a few posts. Now you're saying you never said it?
    rofl :D

Also how do you know that Elite is all I know?
    Ironic that you think some extraordinary intelligence is needed to understand the scope of a space game made by a person who doesn't understand how zero G works and can't tell whether a HOTAS is plugged in to a PC or not :D
    kikoodutroa8Kefo

..Cake..

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Are you that oblivious or that's just the eagerness to attack star citizen that blinds ya? Track back and look up who brought the "blue white shirt" perspective as a snarky remark...

Problem is that "blue white shirts" fit right into the cosmetics and other traits of mmorpg gameplay...

Ask around how many mmorpg'ers care more about their avatar cosmetics than min-maxing..

Then tell them that they are not "progressing"...

Good luck.
    Babuinix said:
    Are you that oblivious or that's just the eagerness to attack star citizen that blinds ya? Track back and look up who brought the "blue white shirt" perspective as a snarky remark...

Problem is that "blue white shirts" fit right into the cosmetics and other traits of mmorpg gameplay...

Ask around how many mmorpg'ers care more about their avatar cosmetics than min-maxing..

Good luck.
    I didn't say you started it, I said you said it... which you did.
    You're still trying to defend it as if SC somehow has meaningful cosmetic progression like GW2.
    It doesn't.
    You don't just draw up some vanity items, throw them in the game and somehow realize meaningful cosmetic progression. Every mmo does that.

Again, the only meaningful progression that SC has is ship progression.
    Then again you can buy everything for dollars so scratch that 'meaningful' word ;)

..Cake..

What? GW2? Star Citizen has different armour sets that can only be aquired in specific areas/npcs. You dont buy them on cash shop. You play the game to get them. Either you think that's progression or not is irrelevant.

Different armour allows for better weapon usage, more dps available to your char....

Again if you dont think thats progression is irrelevant . 

Game is in alpha.... "Progression" is wiped every big patch..
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    sgel said:
    Babuinix said:

Good luck.
    I didn't say you started it, I said you said it... which you did.
    You're still trying to defend it as if SC somehow has meaningful cosmetic progression like GW2.
    It doesn't.
    You don't just draw up some vanity items, throw them in the game and somehow realize meaningful cosmetic progression. Every mmo does that.

Again, the only meaningful progression that SC has is ship progression.
    Then again you can buy everything for dollars so scratch that 'meaningful' word ;)
    Lol you can’t make this shit up 

Bab: “white to blue shirt is progression”
    others: “that’s not progression”
    Bab: “Yes it is! And why are you talking to me about white to blue shirt as progression? I never said that!”
    Babuinix said:
    What? GW2? Star Citizen has different armour sets that can only be aquired in specific areas/npcs. You dont buy them on cash shop. You play the game to get them. Either you think that's progression or not is irrelevant.
    GW2 has plenty of vanity items and "different armor sets" that you can only get by playing the game or accomplishing easy/hard/very hard things in-game... it's not all buy them at the cash shop. It's horizontal progression... kind of like GW1 but instead of skills you hunt vanity items.
    (Someone remake GW1 please!)

I know you like to shit on all other games that aren't Star Citizen but talking utter crap on a public forum will just make you seem like an ignorant  blind zealot.

..Cake..

sgel said:
    Babuinix said:
    GW2 has plenty of vanity items and "different armor sets" that you can only get by playing the game or accomplishing easy/hard/very hard things in-game... it's not all buy them at the cash shop. It's horizontal progression... kind of like GW1 but instead of skills you hunt vanity items.

So ...like any game where you have a playable avatar lol.. 

No wonder you guys feel so tangled about the term "progression", it's subjectiveness and how different gamers care for different things... 

It's almost like you really believe theres only one "right" way to have fun in a game...

Maybe that's why Star Citizen scope feels so daunting to the few who relentlessly feel the need to attack it..

Maybe its the ambition that's scary or just the fact that it's being made possible by Chris Roberts lol

Babuinix said:
    sgel said:
    Babuinix said:

So ...like any game where you have a playable avatar lol.. 

No wonder you guys feel so tangled about the term "progression", it's subjectiveness and how different gamers care for different things... 

It's almost like you really believe theres only one "right" way to have fun in a game...

Maybe that's why Star Citizen scope feels so daunting to the few who relentlessly feel the need to attack it..

Maybe its the ambition that's scary or just the fact that it's being made possible by Chris Roberts lol

Jezus I'm starting to think you're a bot. You just constantly say the same things and and just throw up some petty generalizations in a way of trying to accomplish some form of argument.
    I know some people have a harder time coming up with valid arguments but this is taking the piss... noone is THIS bad at being taking part in a conversation :(

Here's a hint, when you say something foolish, own up to it... don't try to defend it. Especially when you follow up one foolish thing with another foolish thing.

As for GW2 being like any other game with a playable avatar... no.
    GW2 has specifically designed their game to have horizontal vanity progression. The most expensive/rarest items in the game are all vanity items... they give you zero advantage.
    It's why I brought it up when you said that changing a white shirt to a blue shirt was progression.
    Jezus do some googling if you've never played the game, instead of sitting there pretending you know what you're talking about.
    Hey do something even better and go play it and experience it first hand... it's F2P iirc. (so you won't have to spend all that idris money on another game and get excommunicated from the Church of Roberts). Then after you know what you're talking about you can use that information in online conversations.

..Cake..

edited February 2018
    [mod edit]

It doesnt matter what kind of progression you focus on. There's many of them depending on how a gamer has fun playing.

For a player that has fun customizing its avatar being able to change shirt, pants whatever can feel as progresssion. Progressing in the goal of attaining the prefered look for its avatar...

Every thing that changes your avatar beyond it's default starting gear/skill/lvl/status can be seen as progression...

Hope that was clear and simple enough lol
    Post edited by Vaross on
    edited February 2018
    Babuinix said:
    Lol it feels like Im trying to explain a toddler how to assemble legos and they keep trying to eat it...

It doesnt matter what kind of progression you focus on. There's many of them depending on how a gamer has fun playing.

For a player that has fun customizing its avatar being able to change shirt, pants whatever can feel as progresssion. Progressing in the goal of attaining the prefered look for its avatar...

Every thing that changes your avatar beyond it's default starting gear/skill/lvl/status can be seen as progression...

Wow that's a pretty amazing conclusion you came up with.. EVERYTHING can be seen as progression.
    Installing SC and actually running it is progression.
    Managing to complete a single mission without bugging is progression.
    Getting anything above 15FPS is progression.
    In fact SC has more open-ended progression mechanics than any other game.
    No need to actually build mechanics/content around vanity progression like Arenanet or dungeon/raid progress mechanics like Blizzard or other devs.

..Cake..

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Babuinix said:
    sgel said:
    Pure speculation that making money will be brisk.
    I seriously doubt it though... considering ship progression is the only progression the game has, they aren't going to make it that easy.
    Player is an avatar not a ship, even in this early version player's progression is already measured in the gear/clothing they buy/wear not the ships they fly....
    Should you just not agree that both getting and equipping a ship, and gearing your avatar, are progression.

@Babuinix seems to have written close to a dozen messages about how there are different kinds of progression so it looks like he made a mistake when he wrote that progression is not measured by the ships.

edited February 2018
    Maybe because the context was about ingame stuff not stuff bought in the cash-shop...

Geeez slow day hum...

Must have been a hell of a party last night lol
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    sgel said:
    Babuinix said:
    Lol it feels like Im trying to explain a toddler how to assemble legos and they keep trying to eat it...

Wow that's a pretty amazing conclusion you came up with.. EVERYTHING can be seen as progression.
    Installing SC and actually running it is progression.
    Managing to complete a single mission without bugging is progression.
    Getting anything above 15FPS is progression.
    In fact SC has more open-ended progression mechanics than any other game.
    No need to actually build mechanics/content around vanity progression like Arenanet or dungeon/raid progress mechanics like Blizzard or other devs.

Let it go. Unless someone discovers that true magic exists, Pinocchio will never become a real boy. Lets them them have the dream in peace though.
    BabuinixCryptoCrow
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Kefo said:
    Lol you can’t make this shit up 

Bab: “white to blue shirt is progression”
    others: “that’s not progression”
    Bab: “Yes it is! And why are you talking to me about white to blue shirt as progression? I never said that!”
    It's doublethink at its best. He's such a cognitive mess I don't get why you guys are still trying.
    I suppose it's because you still see him as a person.
    Babuinix
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    SC progression shows bits here and there of what is the direction. For example in 3.0 you already have progression in your reputation to be able or not to even get missions from the mission givers, within that, you also develop reputation with that mission giver (reacting to when you fail his missions and so) so it gets pretty likely it won't give you any big payouts or "late-content" missions unless you have good rep with that specific NPC or faction or whatever they expand that towards.

I would say we are to see expansion on reputation, with them already having this factions/companies who set outposts and space-stations, etc... it would make sense players could build up their reputation with those companies and from it unlock content and rewards (it would make sense the ability to buy some ships to lie on that).
    "So there's a reputation bar and as you grind it fills up"

You forgot to mention how it's never been done before so cig had to build groundbreaking tech for that feature and thus the game was delayed from its 2014 release.

Btw, remember when backers believed sc would simulate atmospheric composition? Good times...
    Doesn't SC simulate atmospheric composition already? 

The reputation grind is a better progression than an XP bar you are meant to fill to 100%. And it makes more sense the SC universe is set upon a sandbox, you do what you want, and doing what you want, the reputation adds a tier of it that even if you go piracy you do have content that opens up, or closes up, depending on your path.

It is only logical that if you get this mission giver and you build up good rep with him that he will give you big-payout/important content for you to play through, being less logical that the content needs to be fully opened up to everyone everywhere without any requirement just cause.
    MaxBacon said:

It's a simulation only if composition values are used in some in-game calculation. Otherwise it's just lore.

edited February 2018
    Vrika said:
    It's a simulation only if composition values are used in some in-game calculation. Otherwise it's just lore.
    Yeah, to decompression and so. Airlocks now on 3.0 use this system so the atmosphere composition actually transitions.

It also simulates inside your helmet, so you can run out of oxygen, or just take the helmet out and be affected by the external atmosphere.

Eventually, it's to allow sudden decompression on a breach like:

Gdemami
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:
    Yeah, to decompression and so. Airlocks now on 3.0 use this system so the atmosphere composition actually transitions.
    I thought that was just simulation whether there is an atmosphere. I haven't seen anything behaving differently because there is, say 10% more oxygen and 10% less nitrogen than usual.

edited February 2018
    Vrika said:
    I thought that was just simulation whether there is an atmosphere. I haven't seen anything behaving differently because there is, say 10% more oxygen and 10% less nitrogen than usual.
    The composition was added so this is expanded to the point where the composition impacts you over just the oxygen existence, especially when poisonous atmospheres are added, so the how well can you breathe factor is added, then yes we'll see impacts on stamina or player health.

But the simulation still exists because it relies on the composition to allow you to breathe or not, not just the fact there is one atmosphere, such as on Daymar: https://i.imgur.com/YkKoEwS.jpg
    Gdemami
    MaxBacon said:

The reputation grind is a better progression than an XP bar you are meant to fill to 100%. And it makes more sense the SC universe is set upon a sandbox, you do what you want, and doing what you want, the reputation adds a tier of it that even if you go piracy you do have content that opens up, or closes up, depending on your path.

It is only logical that if you get this mission giver and you build up good rep with him that he will give you big-payout/important content for you to play through, being less logical that the content needs to be fully opened up to everyone everywhere without any requirement just cause.
    No it doesn't, it's just fluff unfortunately. That's why people can glitch through doors and hang in space in their undies.
    MaxBacon
    edited February 2018
    No it doesn't, it's just fluff unfortunately. That's why people can glitch through doors and hang in space in their undies.
    Yes it does. Bugs cause the simulation that is meant to happen to not work as it should. Saying because bugs the simulation is not real is like me saying this game I'm playing has no physics because when I destroyed building parts of it stayed floating in mid-air instead of falling.

I would say issues with naked peeps in space have been reduced since 3.0, as this system queries the atmosphere composition to know if you can breathe or not, so clipping while naked should still kill you. Such bugs also go the other way, I died because of no oxygen while using an elevator at Levski (what shows the simulation working otherwise the oxygen-less spots wouldn't asphyxiate you).
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    Zandog
    Bored Gamer latest video:

Calling All Devs - Persistence and Scanning