Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you were to design your own MMO, what would you leave out?

Comments

• SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Classes and levels.
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    edited February 2018
    The setting would be medieval, so:

- No classes.
    - No dungeon/raid finder.
    - No teleportation type of travel except for people with the appropriate magic skills.
    - No flying mounts.
    - No instancing or zoning. Seamless world.
    - No phasing.
    - No binding of items.
    - No silly drops by mobs (e.g. a rat dropping a broadsword).
    - No silly outfits or items.
    im just going to add to your list because i agree with all of this. i would also like to say

- No global chat for people who think the entire player base wants to read their nonsense.
    4507[Deleted User]
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    DrunkWolf said:
    The setting would be medieval, so:

- No classes.
    - No dungeon/raid finder.
    - No teleportation type of travel except for people with the appropriate magic skills.
    - No flying mounts.
    - No instancing or zoning. Seamless world.
    - No phasing.
    - No binding of items.
    - No silly drops by mobs (e.g. a rat dropping a broadsword).
    - No silly outfits or items.
    im just going to add to your list because i agree with all of this. i would also like to say

- No global chat for people who think the entire player base wants to read their nonsense.
    I will add no global market otherwise this list looks great.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    What would i leave out? The persistent virtual world, and the associated long walks. 

Just focus on fun instanced combat gameplay and a convenient lobby. Don't make me walk 5 min before something fun happens. 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    What would i leave out? The persistent virtual world, and the associated long walks. 

Just focus on fun instanced combat gameplay and a convenient lobby. Don't make me walk 5 min before something fun happens. 

So Neverwinter is your go to game?
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    No big numbers.
    anemo

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530

Neverwinter is not the only D&D based game that does this. Just FYI.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• growillgrowill Member UncommonPosts: 28
    bartoni33 said:
    Easy:

No forced PvP.
    Funny I'd say no forced PvE for me
    (ofc pvp would have to be meaningful)
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

I was thinking Vindictus.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Cash Shop
    Loot boxes
    Paid content - Subscription price would pay for future content patches.
    Pointless/meaningless quests
    In game Auction house. I would go with an SWG system, where you craft your vendor/storefront but nothing centralized.

In game mail - nope. Public mail rooms (built by players) where players can charge a fee to x-fer items safely and securely between players.

Stealth of any type. If you want to hide, you would need to be good at using terrain.

For starters.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited February 2018
    I'd make a sandbox, with high quality PvE content

And leave out the PvP

That would truly be a genre innovation after the countless PvP sandbox deathmatch clones that are out there!
    anemoTheocritusHatefull

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• growillgrowill Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Zamuro said:
    after reading few comments im happy none of u is a game designer... "remove pvp, lvls, items, quests, story, dungeons" wtf?! just remove the whole game
    lol you have a point xD
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Honestly, I don't know anymore. I'm not as interested in the genre as I used to be. The only systems I find exceptionally repulsive these days are cash shops and loot crates, and often enough I don't have to partake. I'm not a huge fan of instancing, but I guess it depends on the game that's being developed. Sometimes it works.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    These things will not be in my ideal mmo for sure:
    Boundaries in the world and landscapes you cannot reach.
    Action combat
    AOE combat being the norm (fighting multiple (3+) mobs at once)
    Cinematic experiences where you perform one task after the other
    Quest helping mechanisms (map helpers etc)

That's all I can come up with for now but that's the direction the mmo's have taken and they're all wrong imo.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Zamuro said:
    after reading few comments im happy none of u is a game designer... "remove pvp, lvls, items, quests, story, dungeons" wtf?! just remove the whole game
    If you look at the sister thread of what people want to add, it's still dire but not as dire as you'd think  :p

There really are a lot of things that can be tossed aside and you still have a great MMO.  One of my favorites from last year Screeps (AI programming RTS is 500-1000 player servers running 24/7):  literally uses leveling as a way to stop unlimited growth (and soften killing blows),  has no story, no instancing, and no official "guilding" mechanics (but alliances that players make are pretty amazing leading to massive world wars).   

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

nah .. it is silly to have one "go to game". But in terms of lobby-based dungeon gameplay, Diablo, PoE, Warframe, Torchlight 2 ... there are tons of good ones. 
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Tokens, tokens and &^^^% TOKENS!!! I Despise a loot system the rewards tokens on dungeon/raid runs. The magic of WOW in early days was always the "unknown" of whats going to drop. I hate everything about a system that has you planning out exactly what will be getting and when you will be getting it.

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• BluefishBluefish Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Raids

Cash shops

Quests to very a large extent

Mobs porting back to their respawn points on full heath after moving a pathetically short distance (my pet hate)

Sparkly combat graphics

I'd prefer a PvE game, there aren't enough around any more, so for my game, no PvP, or at least stick it somewhere I can avoid it without limiting my play-style

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I would leave out 99% of any producer or developer that has a hand in 99% of the mmorpg's i see today,most don't have a clue how to design a mmorpg.I would hire 99% new faces,new people with SMART,intelligent ideas,people that can think a bit and understand the phrase"makes sense".A lot of what i see in games today do not make any sense at all,so i would leave out anything and anyone that has had anything to do with dumb ideas.

CUTE,there is a fine line to having cutesy in your game,over sized weapons,over sized breasts,pfft i'd like to think people play my game on merit and not on goofy ideas.I do not need any 20 digit numbers on my screen,i might even put some thought into removing number damage altogether as in reality it only mildly makes sense.I mean in real life if you hurt yourself or experience pain someone might say "on a scale of 1-10" how much does it hurt,but your re NEVER going to say ,oh man that looked like 24,756 damage.
    So yeah mostly eliminate all the nonsense i see in games,it would be geared towards the mature.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164

You dont want an mmo you want pubg
    Sovrath[Deleted User]Steelhelm
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited February 2018
    -Story (as in story driven content)
    -Shop (as in all connection between shop and ingame items or services)
    -Voice chat (also externally, by trying to design the game to need it as little as possible)
    -Endgame (defined by gear building and raiding as the only endgame.. I want "infinite" character progression system like skill system and more)
    -Short fights, swarm combat (combat should mean something and have tactical components, not just mindless slaughter or twitchy key spamming)
    -ALL references to pop culture, real life holidays/events, religion/politic/racial and other immersion breaking stuff (sorry no christams trees or valentine day and no Chuck Morris npc either)
    -Balancing for pvp and between class/builds (adjustments should primary be focused on improving co-op play and fun factor)

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Forums.
    anemo

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Bcuda said:

You dont want an mmo you want pubg
    The walks in that game are still quite long if you get bad circle luck. Maybe the latest Call of Duty is more his speed.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Gamble Boxes for real money. That's what I would leave out.
  • 1AD71AD7 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    • Linear Progression
    • Flying Mounts
    • Overly accessible fast travel
    • Gearscore/ilevel
    • Groundhog Day Syndrome
    • Maps with GPS Indicators
    • Quest Hubs
    • Solo Leveling Efficiency
    • Instanced Content
    • Participation Trophies
    • Class Homogenization
    • Pay to Win

And that ... my friends, is why I have chosen to pledge to Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen!